Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is It A Merit Or A JVL?  (Read 5085 times)

gio_aus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2020, 09:19:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is It A Merit Or A JVL?
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:57 am »
Hi Guys,

Just recently acquired one of these touchscreen games and want to clarify a few things about it. So far from what I have gathered, this is what I can confirm:

ITOX 586 MOTHERBOARD WITH AUDIO
MERIT # EC0026-04 (INTEL)

MILLENNIUM "MINI" MEGATOUCH MAXX I/O CARD
MERIT # SA10051-01

MITSUBISHI RISER CARD
MERIT # EC0028-01 & EC0028-02

Software = JVL iTouch 5

I have a few questions for you experts.

1. Is this a Merit Machine with JVL Hard Drive/Software?
2. Is it possible to do this?
3. If it is Merit, what's the latest software I can run on it?
4. The power button at the back is sliding from side to side, am I right in thinking it's not an original one? If not where can I get one?
5. I'm missing a lockable side panel, is that where you can add a cd rom drive? Where can I get one of these panels?

I have also attached a couple of photos.

Thanks,
gio_aus.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:53 pm
Re: Is It A Merit Or A JVL?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »
Looks like someone tookand old megatouch maxx and put jvl itouch 5 software on it. I live in merits back yard so i have never seen a JVL system in any local establishments so i cant comment on the hardware used in JVL, but thats definitely merit hardware. Its most likely hacked software, or if JVL uses the same type keys, maybe its possible to use a JVL key/soft on merit hardware if JVL software doesnt do any mobo/IO board checks.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35:00 am »
So if I get a Merit hard drive and key, I won't have any issues providing it's compatible with my hardware? I read somewhere the latest software is Platinum?

M.Lanza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2015, 09:51:03 am
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:51 am »
It's possible that JVL may have sold a "conversion kit" of sorts, similar to the one Merit offered that allowed operators to convert Touchmasters to Megatouch Maxx series games.

The latest software for Maxx series is Crown or Double Crown, But most operators were migrating to the Force hardware at the time so that software version may not be easy to find.

It may be better to keep the JVL software. Megatouch machines are a dime-a-dozen. It may be cheaper to buy a comparable Merit machine than to reconvert your existing one.
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:09 am »
so simply putting in a merit hard drive and key won't do the job? how exactly would i have to reconvert it?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
so simply putting in a merit hard drive and key won't do the job? how exactly would i have to reconvert it?

It should just need a hard drive with maxx software preinstalled and a matching key for said software. It doesnt look like that "merit" IO board has any changeable eproms so i think its all key/software based. I could be wrong though.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:40 am »
i'm looking to upgrade to megatouch maxx crown when i manage to find the software and key, would i need to upgrade the memory? Also the current cpu is 200Mhz, would it make any difference putting in a 233Mhz which is on a spare motherboard I have?

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:04 am »
Ok so going back to my old Merit/JVL post, I finally replaced the hard drive and key with a Megatouch Ruby. Software booted up and got me to a screen that said calibrate but the touch was unresponsive. After turning it off and on again, it booted to the select game screen with the touch still unresponsive. Checked touch controller and green LED was on, pressed the setup and calibrate but did nothing. Any suggestions? Touch is working perfectly fine when iTouch 5 software is loaded so I don't think there's any hardware issues unless something has been hacked?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:41 am »
Not familar with ruby so i cant comment on which touchscreen controllers it supports. Also, I cant make out what controller you have other then it looks like the white microtouch SMT-3. As far as i know the SMT-3 was used in the MAXX series. Ive also heard there was an elo controller used in megatouch but that might have been for earlier XL series.

I would need to know more details about which controller you have to help you any further.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:50:37 am »
hey mike good to see you're still around. yeah the controller is a white microtouch SMT-3 with serial connector. what other details did you need? thanks.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 02:31:41 pm »
I am not sure why it would not be working. All i can think of is the software is loading the wrong driver module. But i dont know what you could do about it because its not easy getting these old MAXX installation CD's or ISO's. I think lilshawn may have ripped the ruby cd's so maybe you could ask him if he can put the iso's up somewhere for you to download. I wouldnt mind getting them myself. Maybe i will poke around and try and get rid of that pesky hard drive check.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:20:13 am »
would there be a difference between the cd version and hard drive version? any dip switch settings I can try that may make a difference or something in bios?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 12:26:39 am »
ruby came in 2 different platforms
1=cd rom driven
2=hard drive driven
both are in the maxx/maxx-xl format

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 12:36:11 am »
wouldn't the software be exactly the same regardless whether its on cd or hard drive?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
not to my know.

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 09:53:23 am »
wouldn't the software be exactly the same regardless whether its on cd or hard drive?

Good question. If i had to guess i would think the cd version is more like a linux live cd and the hard drive version would be like installing linux from the live cd. Its a bit different, but you could convert the cd version to run from a hard drive the same way you can convert a linux live cd to run from a usb thumbdrive.