Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GP-Wiz40 Lag?  (Read 1634 times)

Smiley Massacre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2014, 11:47:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GP-Wiz40 Lag?
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:55 pm »
So I finally have my control panel wired and ready to test out, using 2 GP-Wiz40 interfaces, and I noticed that when playing certain games there is quite a but of lag.  It is very noticeable when playing games like Galaga and Ms. Pacman using MAME32.  Has anyone else dealt with lag issues before, and if so what are the common ways to troubleshoot this issue?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:19:49 am by Smiley Massacre »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: GP-Wiz40 Lag
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:41:08 pm »
There is no lag with the GP-Wiz interface, so it sounds like a software issue of some sort.  If it had anything to do with the interface, all games would exhibit the same issue. 

Another possibility, based on the titles you mentioned, is that reaction time is slowed by a long throw in the joystick.  One final possibility, and one which would also affect all games, is the use of an LCD TV for a monitor.  Some of these have image processing hardware which can delay the output to the screen considerably.  If you are using this type of display, check the menus for a "game" mode, or the option to turn off image processing.

Smiley Massacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:21 am »
There is no lag with the GP-Wiz interface, so it sounds like a software issue of some sort.  If it had anything to do with the interface, all games would exhibit the same issue. 

Another possibility, based on the titles you mentioned, is that reaction time is slowed by a long throw in the joystick.  One final possibility, and one which would also affect all games, is the use of an LCD TV for a monitor.  Some of these have image processing hardware which can delay the output to the screen considerably.  If you are using this type of display, check the menus for a "game" mode, or the option to turn off image processing.

You are correct about it being the games and not the hardware.  I am currently using Hyperspin as my frontend, and ran MameUI32 within it, which then made me think it was Hyperspin giving me the issue.  I then tested MameUI32 on its own, and still getting the same results with a lag.

Also, I am running it on an LCD TV, but will try it on my CRT TV too, as well as turning off image processing and will see how that goes.

And thank you very much for everything Randy!  Received all of the goodies you sent and am very pleased with the quality of your products.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:09:29 am »

You are correct about it being the games and not the hardware.  I am currently using Hyperspin as my frontend, and ran MameUI32 within it, which then made me think it was Hyperspin giving me the issue.  I then tested MameUI32 on its own, and still getting the same results with a lag.

Also, I am running it on an LCD TV, but will try it on my CRT TV too, as well as turning off image processing and will see how that goes.

And thank you very much for everything Randy!  Received all of the goodies you sent and am very pleased with the quality of your products.

I see this a lot and it confuses the heck out of me every time.  Why wold you use a frontend(hyperspin) to launch another frontend(MAMEUI32)?  If you are going to use Hyperspin or any other frontend, use vanilla command line MAME.

Smiley Massacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:06 am »
I see this a lot and it confuses the heck out of me every time.  Why wold you use a frontend(hyperspin) to launch another frontend(MAMEUI32)?  If you are going to use Hyperspin or any other frontend, use vanilla command line MAME.

I agree with you, I just need to better familiarize myself with the standard MAME more, because I have always used MameUI32 in the past.  I know it's not difficult, just need to find the time to sit down and set it up.

tron84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2017, 06:45:56 am
Re: GP-Wiz40 Lag?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »
I use a GP-Wiz40 in one of my setups & never have had any lag on it.  It has been used for a few different Mame builds 147,148,149 & have the 150 build on it now. Play the classics Dk, Pac, BurgerTime, Galaxian, Galaga etc along with the moderns.  No lag on it whatsoever & it is a nice interface, would get another in a heart beat.
For 147 & 148, I was using MameUI , MameUIFX
For 149, Mamepui64 & Mameui & then went to Mamep64 cave build using GameEx FE, which is what the 150 is running also. I have used & tried the binaries 149 & 150 of mame w/ GameEx. Never had any lag on the GP-wiz. I have it on Win7 64.

Have you had a chance yet to try it on a different monitor or the crt tv you were saying about?

Smiley Massacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
I use a GP-Wiz40 in one of my setups & never have had any lag on it.  It has been used for a few different Mame builds 147,148,149 & have the 150 build on it now. Play the classics Dk, Pac, BurgerTime, Galaxian, Galaga etc along with the moderns.  No lag on it whatsoever & it is a nice interface, would get another in a heart beat.
For 149, Mamepui64 & Mameui & then went to Mamep64 cave build using GameEx FE, which is what the 150 is running also. I have used & tried the binaries 149 & 150 of mame w/ GameEx. Never had any lag on the GP-wiz. I have it on Win7 64.

Have you had a chance yet to try it on a different monitor or the crt tv you were saying about?

Not yet, but tonight I will be testing it out.  I cannot recall what version MameUI32 I am using, but I am also running a Win7 64bit machine with a 3.2Ghz Core 2 duo, and an 8800GTS graphics card.

tron84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2017, 06:45:56 am
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:30 am »

Not yet, but tonight I will be testing it out.  I cannot recall what version MameUI32 I am using, but I am also running a Win7 64bit machine with a 3.2Ghz Core 2 duo, and an 8800GTS graphics card.
Ok, let us know because on that setup you should not have any lag on some of the games.
In mine, I have a AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE 3.2Ghz 8gigs ram & just a GeForce210 w/ 1024MB ram. I have two monitors connected (hdmi & DVI) to the vid card & sometimes both monitors are on when playing mame, in mirror mode & no problem.  I just have the other monitor feet away on my game setup. So no they are not side by side, if wondering why is he playing the same game on mirrored monitors side by side  ;) :D
So as Randy has already pointed out, it is seeming like it is that TV that you are using causing the problem. Hopefully you get the kinks worked out. :cheers:

Smiley Massacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:12 pm »
So I tried a few things.  What I did was moved to using just Mame and not MameUI32, and I also tested the computer out on a CRT TV.  I then tried Galaga, and the lag was gone.  Come to find out, it is because of vsync, and nothing related to the controls.  I haven't tried triple buffering or anything else yet, but I read a lot about the issues people were/are having with some games with different lag times, Galaga being one of them.

Looks like it's more testing for me to get this working right!