Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ArcadeVGA versus ATI 4890 with Calamity's drivers?  (Read 6435 times)

sofakng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 04:19:21 pm
ArcadeVGA versus ATI 4890 with Calamity's drivers?
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »
I've purchased a used ATI 4890 from eBay for $89 but I didn't realize that the ArcadeVGA was actually the same price.

What's the difference between the two?

It seems like the ArcadeVGA might be better because it's newer (based on the ATI 5450) and also supports Windows 7, etc.

I can probably return the ebay card which is why I'm wondering what to do...

Also, I'm using a CRT TV with a VGA to component transcoder...

Mahrio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 12:31:14 pm
Re: ArcadeVGA versus ATI 4890 with Calamity's drivers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:16 pm »
Hello sofakng.

I was an user of ArcadeVGA and swapped to a 4870 with CRT_Emudrivers because of the freedom it gives to you to create your own resolutions and all.

But if dont want to give yourself some trouble to tweak your system, yeah, Ultimarc ArcadeVGA might be a good option with Windows 7 in the mind.

Its up to you, choose the hard way or the easy way.

If you choose the easy way, i can make a deal with your 4890 with my ArcadeVGA, its here on my house in a box. Just send me a PM.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:54:27 pm by Mahrio »

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:07:23 pm »
Thanks for the information and the proposition.

Can you give me more information on the flexibility of the CRT_Emudrivers?

It seems like the ArcadeVGA is faster (newer) and also supports the same resolutions?  I just want more information so I can make the right decision I guess.

Mahrio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:04 pm »
Basically Calamity drivers can scan your Mame XML and pick up up to 120 different resolutions. Some games has the same PCBs so one resolution can be used by multiple games of course.

If you gonna use a Hyperspin as a frontend, you might be going down to 60 resolution or less, but the driver can arrange that too.  When you use the driver with the Groovymame, your system changes the resolution to adjust perfectly the resolution of the game, trying to achieve the most optimal resolution to that game.
Check the next picture. The video 512 x 225 60.098 hz its the resolution of the game. Groovymame changed the resolution to 512 x 240p 59.94 hz trying to match closest the roms resolution based on my setup.

You can even ADD that resolution (512 x 225) for your resolution list, thing that i did later in my cabinet.

Of couse you need to inform in your drivers and in Groovymame your CUSTOM modeline. Since you are using a SCART TV it`ll depends the model of tv.

On this post you going to see some pictures of my setup when i was trying to setup my modeline accordly. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,132531.msg1363366.html

ArcadeVGA its a good product, but doesnt give you the flexibility you might achieve with the CRTemudrivers.

CRT EMu driver downsides: Windows XP only (i am using xp 64), limit to 60-70 resolutions with Hyperspin and cant use with newer cards (HD 48XX its the latest of it with pixelclock 0mhz).

Check on this forum there is plenty of information to "take your path".

Cheers,

Mahrio

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:25:04 am »
If you're going for windows 7, then go the ArcadeVGA.
If you're using windows XP, then go with the 4890 with emudrivers..

What makes you think the ArcadeVGA is based on the 5450?
Pretty sure it's based on the HD2600pro... unless it's been updated recently... (will be angry if it has)
Either way the 4890 will be faster.. but will create more heat/noise

Edit: it HAS been updated... not happy.. he could have told me he was working on a newer version when i bought the old one recently :(
Ok.. seems the 5450 in only a tad faster than the 2600pro variant.. so maybe now need to get too worked up :)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:49:32 am by Sledge »

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:33:56 am »
Thanks for the information everybody.

I incorrectly assumed that the 5450 was faster than the 4890 because of the numbering.  I know MAME won't need the faster GPU but if I add other emulators or play PC games I might use the speed.

I'll stick with the 4890 then and use the drivers.  I know Calamity has plans to upgrade his drivers to Win7 so hopefully he's still continuing work on that.

Thanks again!

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:43 am »
So... I've been reading all morning but I'm a bit confused on how to setup CRT_EmuDriver with GroovyMAME.

My television (Toshiba 27A33) has a service manual but it does NOT list the specifications for hozitonal and vertical refresh rates, etc.

Does that mean I should just use VMMaker with the "CUSTOM" setting and then Arcade OSD to test each resolution?  ...or how do I get started with that?

Do I want "static" mode tables or "magic tables" ?

(I'm still confused on what exactly the interaction between the video card drivers [CRT_EmuDriver], VMMaker, ArcadeOSD and GroovyMAME...)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:51:52 am by sofakng »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
Does that mean I should just use VMMaker with the "CUSTOM" setting and then Arcade OSD to test each resolution?  ...or how do I get started with that?

Yes, just leave the default "CUSTOM" settings in vmmaker.ini

In mame, go for the "generic_15" preset.

Do I want "static" mode tables or "magic tables" ?

You usually want to use the "dynamic" mode table (neither of the above). A "magic" mode table is also a good option, specially if you're going to use Hyperspin. But better start with the dynamic mode table.

(I'm still confused on what exactly the interaction between the video card drivers [CRT_EmuDriver], VMMaker, ArcadeOSD and GroovyMAME...)

Basically, you just need to run VMMaker once, to create the modes. After that, all setup is done through GroovyMAME.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 04:06:55 pm »
I know Calamity has plans to upgrade his drivers to Win7 so hopefully he's still continuing work on that.

Hopefully I'll have it ready before April 8th: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx
 ;)
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Mahrio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »
I know Calamity has plans to upgrade his drivers to Win7 so hopefully he's still continuing work on that.

Hopefully I'll have it ready before April 8th: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx
 ;)

Calamity 2 questions:

1) In windows 7 we cant have Magic Tables? This is final?

2) Why set generic_15 in GroovyMame settings instead bring the custom modeline to it?

Thanks

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:44:21 am »
Calamity, thanks for the information!

I know there aren't any specific guides for CRT_EmuDriver/GroovyMAME, but I've been trying to read as much as I can before asking any questions.

I'll try the default CUSTOM modeline, but would it be better for me to find the optimal values for my TV?  (i.e. maximum horizontal refresh, minimum horizontal sync pulse, etc)

One of the other threads on here had you asking a user to select a specific resolution/mode (256x256) and then lowering each value until they found the maximum but it was a little hard to piece together all of the information...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »
1) In windows 7 we cant have Magic Tables? This is final?

Yes, that's a fact. But we will have "super resolutions" that work much the same (this is the reason for -cleanstretch 2 implementation in current GroovyMAME).

2) Why set generic_15 in GroovyMame settings instead bring the custom modeline to it?

First, because it's not a "custom modeline", is a monitor_specs line (totally different thing). Second because VMMaker and GroovyMAME use different formats for custom presets (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116023.0.html). Third, because I know generic_15 is equivalent to the custom monitor_specs line he's using in VMMaker.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »
I'll try the default CUSTOM modeline, but would it be better for me to find the optimal values for my TV?  (i.e. maximum horizontal refresh, minimum horizontal sync pulse, etc)

Stay with the default custom *monitor_specs* line.

One of the other threads on here had you asking a user to select a specific resolution/mode (256x256) and then lowering each value until they found the maximum but it was a little hard to piece together all of the information...

Yeah at the time I had the hope that users would learn all this video stuff by osmosis while messing with ArcadeOSD and hoped that someone would come up with a guide in good English but in the end it was just me requesting tests abusing from users' time and they blindly following my instructions to reach nowhere so I guess it's better for now that users stick with default presets and hopefully some day I'll have time to write a guide.
Steps to create a log: