Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Updated: PC wheel support now availble for official Sega Lindbergh Hardware 4 $  (Read 10694 times)

SegaOutrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
I keep finding more cool stuff while googling for something else. This is for the guys who like to use actual arcade systems.

It looks like a very promising programmer has hacked an official Sega Lindbergh (linux) PC to add multibooting, remove security checks, custom resolutions and official xbox controller support. Next on his todo list is add PC wheel support. Given what he has done so far, it doesnt seem too farfetched.

He is currently selling his creations, so i doubt we will ever see a free release. But if does get PC wheel support in, that would mean getting an all-in-one systems that includes Initial D 4/5, Outrun 2, R-tuned, hummer extreme and sega race tv for less than the price of one complete official arcade sitdown.

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41853

To recap and to avoid the obvious questions.
-this will only run on official sega lindbergh arcade systems
-the programmer has stated that he is not interest in getting this running on a regular linux pc (he stated in a few years once its obsolete but, we all know thats not going to happen) 
-Incase the first two ^ were not clear, no this will not run on your PC or linux, and will not be anytime soon

UPDATED 2/11/14: The hacker has now implemented wheel support for the Lindbergh support. Please see vid in post below. Still only available for sale tho.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:22:29 am by SegaOutrun »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: PC wheel support may be comming soon to official Sega Lindbergh Hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
-Incase the first two ^ were not clear, no this will not run on your PC or linux, and will not be anytime soon

what will it run on then?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »
A lindberg arcade rig, which is essentially a specific model Linux pc. 

It's kind of like how somebody took advantage of the taito type x loaders and make a multi-game rig out of a single type x pc. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:27 pm »
Yeah, after reading through that linked thread I get it now. Quite fascinating indeed. Well I guess this is one alternative option for playing arcade perfect OutRun 2 SP with a PC FFB wheel, at least until the hack project gets completed.  :applaud:

I wish there was a way they could somehow get it running off a standard Windows environment. I couldn't justify paying a grand for another big PC tower that would sit next to my existing PC. Not to mention having to unplug and re-plug all the driving controllers from one box to another.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:19:22 am »
Well that took less time time than I thought it would. Looks like he was able to add PC steering input to the Lindbergh System. Now I can add this to the list of thing I wish I could afford.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:22:49 am by SegaOutrun »

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
Well that took less time time than I thought it would. Looks like he was able to add PC steering input to the Lindbergh System. Now I can add this to the list of thing I wish I could afford.

Has anyone got Lindbergh games running on a Generic Linux Machine or do you still need the original hardware?

If all it needs is Linux  then you might be able to run VMWare or Cygwin to emulate Linux inside of windows.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
Has anyone got Lindbergh games running on a Generic Linux Machine or do you still need the original hardware?

If all it needs is Linux  then you might be able to run VMWare or Cygwin to emulate Linux inside of windows.

As far as I know, no. The same guys has said in a different thread that although he does not have any immediate plans, he will probably do it a few years once Sega no longer care.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Very impressive and exceptional work from Jackalus. Well done  :cheers:

Just curious, but can this same thing be done with Naomi/Naomi 2 hardware? There is a Naomi emulator but it's still not up to par and progress on it has been painfully slow.

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org

Just curious, but can this same thing be done with Naomi/Naomi 2 hardware? There is a Naomi emulator but it's still not up to par and progress on it has been painfully slow.

You mean getting a PC racing wheel to work on an original NAOMI unit? Yes and No.

The reason this works is because Lindbergh is a Linux PC and as such the way the Operating system works is known and the Operating system is accessible and able to be modified Not only that but it's already designed to work with a PC wheel, just a particular type of PC wheel. Chances are the only real modification here is to make that connection a little more generic to work with other "unapproved" wheels. On NAOMI you don't have any of that The OS is locked down, and the wheel is highly specialized to the hardware and not designed to connect like a PC wheel.

Nothing is impossible, but I believe it would honestly be easier to get Naomi Emulation working fully than it would to get plug and play PC wheel support on original NAOMI hardware.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated

Sort of, you can netboot with Naomi which is basically getting different decrypted games to load on your actual naomi system over your network. Not sure if all driving game use the same steering wheel hardware tho. (ex. Im not sure if booting crazy Taxi in an Initial D cab would work with its steering controls) 

http://home.comcast.net/~dark.paladin/naomi/compactflash.htm

UPDATE: You peaked my interested and I did some more research and it looks like you could do a netboot naomi driving cabinet but it may not play with all the features depending on what cab you have

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=236271

well I have a CT upright, and at one time had a JS cart, then went with net booting it, with a naomi 2, and with the CT I could play all of them, just some werent true plug and play so to speak

from memory :
CT obviously all good
Jambo Safari - the lasso was backwards, not a major pain unless player tries to follow onscreen instructions (I did make an adapter that reversed the shifter, was an inline plug in and unplug when you wanted to play)
18 Wheeler (lacking reverse and radio, I think view change was HI/LO) was playable but tough
Club Kart - from memory was fine, wasnt a great game
ID1/2/3 - had to play in AUTOmatic, some other features lacking, but was playable I recall
King of Route 66 - could play but no mic, and issues similar to 18Wheeler, again also CT wheel is 270degree only, and 18Wheeler and KoR66 is 360degree so again causes slight play issues

I havent had a CT or Naomi 1 driver for a while, I use my Outrun 2 for net booting with Chihiro/Naomi now and still run into issues with some functions, like Crazy Taxi High Roller wont play in OR2 cab properly, as the D/R is messed up

hope that helps, but isnt 100% as thats from memory
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:00:53 pm by SegaOutrun »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!

You mean getting a PC racing wheel to work on an original NAOMI unit? Yes and No.

The reason this works is because Lindbergh is a Linux PC and as such the way the Operating system works is known and the Operating system is accessible and able to be modified Not only that but it's already designed to work with a PC wheel, just a particular type of PC wheel. Chances are the only real modification here is to make that connection a little more generic to work with other "unapproved" wheels. On NAOMI you don't have any of that The OS is locked down, and the wheel is highly specialized to the hardware and not designed to connect like a PC wheel.

Nothing is impossible, but I believe it would honestly be easier to get Naomi Emulation working fully than it would to get plug and play PC wheel support on original NAOMI hardware.

Ahh, that makes sense. Very informative post Twisted, thanks.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!

Sort of, you can netboot with Naomi which is basically getting different decrypted games to load on your actual naomi system over your network. Not sure if all driving game use the same steering wheel hardware tho. (ex. Im not sure if booting crazy Taxi in an Initial D cab would work with its steering controls) 

http://home.comcast.net/~dark.paladin/naomi/compactflash.htm

UPDATE: You peaked my interested and I did some more research and it looks like you could do a netboot naomi driving cabinet but it may not play with all the features depending on what cab you have

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=236271

well I have a CT upright, and at one time had a JS cart, then went with net booting it, with a naomi 2, and with the CT I could play all of them, just some werent true plug and play so to speak

from memory :
CT obviously all good
Jambo Safari - the lasso was backwards, not a major pain unless player tries to follow onscreen instructions (I did make an adapter that reversed the shifter, was an inline plug in and unplug when you wanted to play)
18 Wheeler (lacking reverse and radio, I think view change was HI/LO) was playable but tough
Club Kart - from memory was fine, wasnt a great game
ID1/2/3 - had to play in AUTOmatic, some other features lacking, but was playable I recall
King of Route 66 - could play but no mic, and issues similar to 18Wheeler, again also CT wheel is 270degree only, and 18Wheeler and KoR66 is 360degree so again causes slight play issues

I havent had a CT or Naomi 1 driver for a while, I use my Outrun 2 for net booting with Chihiro/Naomi now and still run into issues with some functions, like Crazy Taxi High Roller wont play in OR2 cab properly, as the D/R is messed up

hope that helps, but isnt 100% as thats from memory

Very interesting! That's why I love leaving the detective work to you and Twisted. You guys are like CSI: LA but for Sega hardware  :cheers: