Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: UZI Lightgun  (Read 6749 times)

Sky25es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
UZI Lightgun
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:13:57 pm »
I'm making a UZI submachine lightgun with recoil for my cab. It's near finished (I want to make a fixed base like the "Operation Wolf" one for improved accuracy with the Aimtrack module so that it doesn't need to recalibrate each time the player changes).

The materials used so far are : 1 x Airsoft BB UZI submachine gun, 1 x Aimtrak module, 1 x Solenoid, 1 x vibration motor, 1 x Pacdrive, 1 x custom heatsink (for the solenoid), 1 x micro fan, 2 x microswitches, 1 x small red button, 1 x SS Relay, 1x 24v 10A Power Supply, 1 x custom Flash (Aimtrack :)) Hider, some paint and a lot of wire.

Once mounted, I basically connected the Aimtrak module and the Pacdrive to the PC, the Solenoid to the SS relay and then to the Pacdrive. The vibration motor (5v) and the microfan (5v) are connected directly to the Pacdrive and then all the ensemble is controlled via Mamehooker! Once the game starts, the microfan turns on and helps the heatsink cool down the solenoid.

Here's a Pic of the baby

And here's a very ugly, bad quality video (Sorry) of the gun in action. As you can see at the start, I had to take more distance from the screen for the Aimtrak module to work.

Next time I'll try to post a better Quality video.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:41:46 pm by Sky25es »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: UZI Lightgun
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:21:06 pm »
-{Removed - talking about ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I clearly don't understand}-
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:06:54 am by Ginsu Victim »

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »
Operation Wolf was mounted because it was on 3 pots, not actually a light gun. I don't know that mounting a gun for real lightgun games will work well.

Yes. I know.  :) The reasons I want it mounted are mainly two : To get rid of the calibration issues (different players=different sizes) and cause "near" all submachine or rifle arcade games are mounted ones. For the other light gun games I use a pair of Namco Guns  ;)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »
Operation Wolf was mounted because it was on 3 pots, not actually a light gun. I don't know that mounting a gun for real lightgun games will work well.

Operation Wolf actually was a true light gun game, although it was mounted like a positional gun.  ;)
It used a light gun sensor, not pots.

It's one of the oddballs.

Sky25es, break out the hacksaw and lose everything below the grip!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:42 pm »
I'm intrigued at how this might work for you. Good luck!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 07:32:00 am »
An Uzi isnt a weapon of grace.  You dont hold it up to your eye, and snipe.  You hold extended out, or between the chest and hip... and mow down anything in the sprinkler bullet spray.

I dont think a mounted poat game would have any less accuracy than a Inferred sensor bar.  In fact, its probably the opposite.   A pot only has to be calibrated once.  They rarely get de-calibrated, unless the pot locking screw gets loose..  or the pot itself strts to go bad.  Pots on these guns have gearing, so they are very high in resolution accuracy.

If your too short to play these games, such as Terminator 2... then you grab a step-stool.   If your tall, you hunch over a little.  Again, you never look down the barrel.  This isnt a Silent Scope Sniper Rifle.

I have a feeling Operation Wolf was intended to be a typical set of lightguns.   But after doing testing, it never seemed to work well in practice... so they changed the gun to be mounted, but due to costs, just left the rest as it was.  And or it might actually cost more to make a good geared pot positional gun...  and easier to manufacture the optical versions.

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:42:04 pm »
An Uzi isnt a weapon of grace.  You dont hold it up to your eye, and snipe.  You hold extended out, or between the chest and hip... and mow down anything in the sprinkler bullet spray.

I dont think a mounted poat game would have any less accuracy than a Inferred sensor bar.  In fact, its probably the opposite.   A pot only has to be calibrated once.  They rarely get de-calibrated, unless the pot locking screw gets loose..  or the pot itself strts to go bad.  Pots on these guns have gearing, so they are very high in resolution accuracy.

If your too short to play these games, such as Terminator 2... then you grab a step-stool.   If your tall, you hunch over a little.  Again, you never look down the barrel.  This isnt a Silent Scope Sniper Rifle.

I have a feeling Operation Wolf was intended to be a typical set of lightguns.   But after doing testing, it never seemed to work well in practice... so they changed the gun to be mounted, but due to costs, just left the rest as it was.  And or it might actually cost more to make a good geared pot positional gun...  and easier to manufacture the optical versions.

+1    ;)

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:42:17 pm »
Update:

After more tan one year... I post a Little update. I've uploaded a new video with better resolution of the UZi working on my unfinished cab (in reality only with the cabinet's monitor and a laptop outside as you can see ;))
Badmouth: I finally broke the "hacksaw" and put all the wires inside a hose.

I've also uploaded a video showing the recoil-action on one of my Namco style lightguns (You know: the NAMED ones)

Thanks again to HowardC for Mamehooker. Without his amazing piece of software, all this wouldn't have been possible.
It would be nice if there were more games with their outputs hooked up...

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2023, 04:32:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:55:40 am »
wow you have an uzi and a pistol, pretty awesome.

im still trying to make my time crisis gun from the real arcade gun in this thread here

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119610.280.html

if you have any advise please post there, im close to figuring it out.

do you think playing time crisis is a lot better with arcade level recoil, would you ever go back to a lightweight gun with no recoil or is it simply not the same experience.

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:43 am »
wow you have an uzi and a pistol, pretty awesome.

im still trying to make my time crisis gun from the real arcade gun in this thread here

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119610.280.html

if you have any advise please post there, im close to figuring it out.

do you think playing time crisis is a lot better with arcade level recoil, would you ever go back to a lightweight gun with no recoil or is it simply not the same experience.

The gun recoil is a must for me. What made arcade games such an outstanding experience were not only their graphics but also the special controls and output effects (recoil, rumble, lights...) they had.
Unfortunately a vast number of games in mame haven't their outputs hooked up or maybe mamehooker simply can't read them ? Time Crisis i.e. can't drive the recoil-action, so each time you press the gun trigger the slider goes back and forth even if you are out of ammo.

Btw.: The UZI contains an Aim-Trak kit, but for the lightguns I replaced the inner guts with a pair of Act-Labs ones.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:53:49 am by Sky25es »

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 09:12:19 am »
okay, can't wait to experience it.

yeah its okay on the time crisis thing, i made a suggestion with the aimtrack recoil kit to count the bullets so it wouldn't fire when ducking but it doesn't really matter much, i don't think i would ever fire while under cover anyway.

another issue is time crisis 2 and 3 on pcsx2, no way the gun will know when your in machine gun mode, oh well.

just a heads up there is a special mode on crisis zone on pcsx2 where you can use a pistol or shotgun, so you can play that game with recoil as you can have a single fire mode.

do you think you would make/sell an aimtrak 'named' gun with full recoil compatible with a UK voltage?

i really think a black namco gun is the true ultimate experience, impossible to not feel badass about using that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:18:19 am by TimeCrisis »

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »
yeah its okay on the time crisis thing, i made a suggestion with the aimtrack recoil kit to count the bullets so it wouldn't fire when ducking but it doesn't really matter much, i don't think i would ever fire while under cover anyway.

It's not a problem with the recoil kit itself. It's only software related. First of all you need an App called "Mamehooker" and you have to learn how to use it.
Mamehooker basically listens to the Mame-output system and sends a signal to whatever is configured to receive that signal (I.e. a Pac-drive) and that device activates the solenoid through a SSR (solid state relay) and a power supply.

do you think you would make/sell an aimtrak 'named' gun with full recoil compatible with a UK voltage?

I'm really willing to help you in any way I can, but I really think that you should try to assemble the guns yourself, cause first: you can repair them by yourself if they don't work in a future and second: building your own cabinet and mounting the controls with your own hands is half the fun   ;)   (... and yeah, the distance is also an issue)

Just ask me if you have any questions.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 07:04:14 am »
yeah in either case i wont be able to get pcsx2 to not recoil while ducking in time crisis 2 and 3 anyway so it's not a big deal if i can't get in time crises 1.

and yeah you are right on making it myself because in that case i can make a new one if one of them stops working, which is apparently a common occurence, i have about 4 questions in the other thread i linked above, if you could look at those that would be great.

keep in mind in that above thread i am not making anything myself as you can use off the shelf pcb's from the real arcade gun which is pretty cool.

do you use a pedal for time crisis, i was thinking of converting an actual time crisis pedal, doesn't seem like it would be too hard but i thought maybe you have looked into it a it seems like a cool idea.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 07:24:31 am »
Awesome. Do you desolder the sensor of the aimtrak to fit it in the front of the uzi?

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 09:33:26 pm »
do you use a pedal for time crisis, i was thinking of converting an actual time crisis pedal, doesn't seem like it would be too hard but i thought maybe you have looked into it a it seems like a cool idea.

I'm gonna add a steering Wheel & pedals to the cab, so I will use the same pedals for games like Time crisis  ;)

Awesome. Do you desolder the sensor of the aimtrak to fit it in the front of the uzi?

Nope, I didn't. I changed the original barrel for a wider one and made also a custom flash-hider to protect the sensor and hold the lens

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:54 am »
Hi! Funny I have not seen you r project before! Great work! Looks we allmost did the exact same projects too!  :cheers:
Also have a converted Namco but with the recoil kit and also built a mini uzi with a separate pulse controller.
Do you solely use mame hooker? How's that working in non MAME?

Cheers!
"One coin to rule em' all"