Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Room lighting for Pinball Machines  (Read 10659 times)

darthpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
Room lighting for Pinball Machines
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:47 pm »
I currently have three Pinball Machines in an area in my Basement that is lit by two recessed lights. The problem I am experiencing is glare from the recessed lights. I have the ability to move the lights and I would like someones help in letting me know where I should position the lights in relation to the machines?
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Nephasth

Re: Room lighting for Pinball Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:21 pm »
Turn the lights off.

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »
Too dark.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:39:22 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »
It is difficult to help without pictures.   You can try a directional recessed lighting solution that would direct the beam away from the pinball machines.  A lower wattage bulb coupled with a softer light may also help. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:27:54 pm »
+1 on pics of the area -- different wall/ceiling colors/finishes may yield very different lighting results.

Maybe some theater-style night-lights -- this model isn't too bright and adjustable louvers direct the light.

Scott

nickbuol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 03:27:15 pm
  • 2nd Time Around
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:08 am »
We have recessed lights throughout our basement and yes, over the pinball machine is is terrible.  We put in some dimmers, and it still doesn't help enough, and yes with the lights off it is too dark with all of the flashing lights of the game.  We have the pinball currently positioned "between" some recessed lights on a different wall so that the one recessed light is right above the backbox and the other ends up just behind the player.  Of course, moving your pinball may not be an option.  I've also toyed with having some tall "lamp" type lighting, so that it can be off to the side to create some ambiant light in the room and the recessed lights can be turned off.  It works OK if you 1) have a tall lamp, 2) have a place to put the lamp...

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:18 pm »
Invisiglass?   But that's expensive as hell imho.

nickbuol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 03:27:15 pm
  • 2nd Time Around
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »
Invisiglass?   But that's expensive as hell imho.

I still wonder how well it does with a main light source directly above it????  Not saying it wouldn't work, just wondering...  I know it helps with reflections, but a recessed light at 75-100 watts might be noticable still.

Anyone here have a machine with Invisiglass?

spoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
No clue if it would help direct or not either.  I think PAPA uses it with the cameras right above it.....so it might?   ???

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »
This is a really silly thread.  Why not spend $20 on various lighting solutions and pick the one you like best?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:17 pm »
move the lights to the trash.  recessed downlights are the worst possible case over pinball machines.  you want any lighting to be indirect or as far from on top of the games as possible. 

I don't like playing in  total darkness but I turn on all the games and maybe a lamp or two to give a good lighting feel. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:19:49 pm »
I agree, all light off is way too dark, and not great for your eyes in combination with the flashing lights.

I also do not like Recessed lights at all.   The light is always too focused in small spots...  and that makes things too dark in most areas, and too bright near them.

The temporary solution, could be to hang something like an inverted cone / umbrella  under them.  Paint the inside white, so that most all of the light reflects up to the ceiling.   If its still too bright, use a low watt bulb, or place a tinted filter around it.

I noticed that when putting a touchier lamp in the living room..  (low watt florescent bulbs in it)  there was virtually no glare on the TV glass anymore.  In comparison, any standard lamp always reflects badly off of it.. and thats even with the factory anti-glare coating.

Another thing Ive thought about trying, is getting hold of some polorized tint film... and putting it on the glass top.

Other options...   Overhanging Fabric tents.  Hanging plastic shields made of semi-translucent (or outright reflective opaque) material.   As well as a DMD anti-glare reflector.  (simple piece of angled plastic)

Anti reflective glass is too expensive for me.   Cheaper to wear polarized glasses while playing  :P

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 02:23:47 am »
..I have the ability to move the lights and I would like someones help in letting me know where I should position the lights in relation to the machines?
As NOT directly above the machines as possible. You can't be asking this question seriously, can you?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »
I'm going Black Lights, it was all over in arcades in my area growing up, cheezy maybe, but with the invisible clear Black light paint, you have some pretty cool options. Of course depending on what you feel is cool. Im going to do all my T-moulding and maybe a few more spots with the clear UV paint (used it on PC years ago when case modding was so big, works quite well and in daylight you dont know its there). if i was going lights i would used recessed, or track lighting with a blinder in front.. (basicly a light with a board in front of it so the light can shine up and down only..) with some 40 watt bulbs.. or low light Florcents behind um..

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Be aware that UV isnt the best for your eyes.. especially in long duration.   Also note, that it can fade artwork.

Use something like Formula 21, that has some UV protection effect, to minimize the degredation.

Leaving something in a sunny window, is probably worse.  But I dunno.. as Ive only seen sun damage 1st hand.

spoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »
I'm going Black Lights, it was all over in arcades in my area growing up, cheezy maybe, but with the invisible clear Black light paint, you have some pretty cool options. Of course depending on what you feel is cool. Im going to do all my T-moulding and maybe a few more spots with the clear UV paint (used it on PC years ago when case modding was so big, works quite well and in daylight you dont know its there). if i was going lights i would used recessed, or track lighting with a blinder in front.. (basicly a light with a board in front of it so the light can shine up and down only..) with some 40 watt bulbs.. or low light Florcents behind um..

then you cant fap down there

Oh please.......we can fap anywhere.   ;D

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 05:28:16 pm »

If you put in black lights you absolutely have to put in black light carpet.  Love mine.  Love it.

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:11 am »

hmm My house is 13 years old, somebody lived in it for 10 years before me... young couple. I may put the lights in and not want to live in the house anymore.. it is a room with a fireplace.. All I am imagining is the walls and carpet looking like a paintball war was waged... I did have the carpets professionally cleaned, so i "should " be good.. the walls where all cleaned also (paid a cleaning company).. why did you have to bring that up.. now im scared to put black lights up.. anything I see will not be me, but some stranger.. not that its really less creappy if I knew it was me  :)

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »

If you put in black lights you absolutely have to put in black light carpet.  Love mine.  Love it.

Chad, I love that carpet!  Awesome!!  Go one step further, put it on the walls and ceiling!!  That would be a trip....

BG.

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 04:39:58 pm »
Chad, are those tiles or did you get it in roll form?

They actually make that stuff near my house, but they don't sell to consumers, only licensed carpet installers.

ugh.

AJ

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »

hmm My house is 13 years old, somebody lived in it for 10 years before me... young couple. I may put the lights in and not want to live in the house anymore.. it is a room with a fireplace.. All I am imagining is the walls and carpet looking like a paintball war was waged... I did have the carpets professionally cleaned, so i "should " be good.. the walls where all cleaned also (paid a cleaning company).. why did you have to bring that up.. now im scared to put black lights up.. anything I see will not be me, but some stranger.. not that its really less creappy if I knew it was me  :)

Just videogames, no JO, bros.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:39:18 am »
Chad, are those tiles or did you get it in roll form?

They actually make that stuff near my house, but they don't sell to consumers, only licensed carpet installers.

It's tiles.  The tiles were a lot more expensive but since it's a basement, and I have never installed carpet before, and there is a pole in the middle of the room, the seller heavily advised tiles.  They were right, went in in about two hours.

Got it here.  Made a lot of calls to various places in GA and ordered a lot of samples.  This place was great to deal with and they were competitively priced. 

I need to go back and finish off my gameroom thread.  Tons of info to be added there.

Deadpool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2015, 02:59:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »
possibly try some track lighting?!
Checkout my blog retroarcadegamer - a blog about retro gaming
Recent purchase: Bespoke Arcades Apex Elite cab

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:06 pm
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »
possibly try some track lighting?!

As long as its not direct (imagine hundreds of tiny spotlights shining off the glass) it should be ok.

I honestly think the angle of the glass + DMD reflection + blinky lights where designed to help make the games harder to play and eat more quarters.  :)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 12:52:34 am »
I just wanna know how much they soaked you per square on that carpeting and if it's soft and squishy or if it feels like the roller rink...you know, hard wood under a piece of astroturf.

AJ

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »
I just wanna know how much they soaked you per square on that carpeting and if it's soft and squishy or if it feels like the roller rink...you know, hard wood under a piece of astroturf.

AJ

Unless its shagg... its most likely going to be tough.  Most especially because its meant to survive heavy traffic, not to collect a ton of dirt inside of it.. nor have games / machines get caught on loose thread strands.

If you want such a carpet to feel softer on the foot.. you just install a good dampening foam under it.   I believe they commonly call the material egg-crate foam.  Its squishy and resilient, with very little thickness.  Add another layer, and get twice the soft-step.   Im no floor expert, so theres probably other things you can also use as well.

Other than that, step and land with the balls of your foot, rather than landing on your heels.  Use the knees and ankle, as a spring system to absorb, rather than to clash with a hard impact.

Deadpool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2015, 02:59:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:59 pm »
LOL, yes well it should be fine, as long as it isnt a 90 degree angle from the glass..lol
Checkout my blog retroarcadegamer - a blog about retro gaming
Recent purchase: Bespoke Arcades Apex Elite cab