Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Honest question... Why the hate?  (Read 6175 times)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Honest question... Why the hate?
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:13:00 pm »
In all seriousness, why the hate on rep?  It seems to me that it would be a useful thing to have, but since it was implemented all I've seen is juvenile hatred and rants about it.  Some of it coming from some of the folks I had developed a level of respect for.  I just don't get it.

Can anyone explain the hatred without making it sound like a reddit rant?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Honest question... Why the hate?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:58 pm »
In all seriousness, why the hate on rep?  It seems to me that it would be a useful thing to have, but since it was implemented all I've seen is juvenile hatred and rants about it.  Some of it coming from some of the folks I had developed a level of respect for.  I just don't get it.

:cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »
I dunno, for the most part this site is moderated well enough that reposts wouldn't be tolerated.  Rep as it is now is not perfect, but if we act like decent humans, we could get something that works.

Karma is a slippery slope... pretty soon we are going to be posting cat videos.

I was not particularly interested in a karma system, and will be keeping an eye on it. If it's causing more grief than it's giving benefit, it'll get yanked.

Can it be linked to individual posts as a 'like' button? I don't see the point of general e-peen enhancers.

I can't wait to have someone quote my thread, so:

On another forum I frequent, there is an option to like a particular post.  Each post I make has a record of likes received and the total is presented on my profile page.

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:00 pm »
Total agree, well for the one exception that I think the term "decent" is extremely subjective.  ;D

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:50:13 am »

I can.  People on this site are all very passionate about their hobby.  Any form of criticism (even if it was factual) brings the worst out of people.  The rep system is a good one and should be kept since we lost the trade rep system.  I think once the dust settles and we have gotten used to the scoring methods, then the rep system will come into its own.  On the hate aspect.  Well you get that on all forums.  We are all big kids when you get down to it.  Heck even the new generation seems to have an attitude.  :P
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:24 am »
If I have legitimately put anyone off due to rep shenanigans I am sorry. My playing with the system comes from humor, and has honestly been a lot of fun for me.

Any rants or raves from my account should be read as Satire. I am not an elitist on this site, do actually care for this community, and endeavor to help people on their projects as I have been helped in mine.

Saint announced that rep was going away, so it's a lame duck system. I was only seeking to have fun with the shiny before it returns to the fires that forged it.

Rep for all of you!

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:04:22 am »
The rep system is a good one and should be kept since we lost the trade rep system.

We didn't lose it. Change your theme.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:49 am »
The rep system is a good one and should be kept since we lost the trade rep system.

We didn't lose it. Change your theme.

Trade data is still there. Undoing Rep didn't put the trade count back in the theme most folks are using, puzzling that out now.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
Is there another theme that has bookmarks?  I see trade count in mine.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »
Got it, thanks guys.  :applaud: 

I knew there was some maturity among this crowd.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shenanigans!  >:D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »
Hey, Slippy, you going to the repair party on the 22nd?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:31:05 pm »
I can.  People on this site are all very passionate about their hobby.  Any form of criticism (even if it was factual) brings the worst out of people.  The rep system is a good one
will be another card to be pulled during such arguments, with the person having higher rep claiming to have more authority on all subjects, regardless of whether the rep was earned for posting useful information or funny pictures.

It's similar to claiming authority by post count, which always makes me laugh.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:04 pm »
If I have legitimately put anyone off due to rep shenanigans I am sorry. My playing with the system comes from humor, and has honestly been a lot of fun for me.

Any rants or raves from my account should be read as Satire. I am not an elitist on this site, do actually care for this community, and endeavor to help people on their projects as I have been helped in mine.

Saint announced that rep was going away, so it's a lame duck system. I was only seeking to have fun with the shiny before it returns to the fires that forged it.

Rep for all of you!

For what it is worth I thought it was all in good fun.  Didn't notice the hate.   :dunno

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »

Rep for all of you!

For what it is worth I thought it was all in good fun.  Didn't notice the hate.   :dunno
This.  Surely anyone that's read these boards with any cognitive ability knew that we weren't going to do it the way other boards do them.   We're a bunch of three year olds that act like it at times.  We get along, for the most part, and act up whenever we can get away with it.  Nobody is hating, just taking it with the usual solemnity that we've always shown.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »
         Its not that I hate it, so much as I just don't understand it.... Facebook style like/dislike just seems to serve little purpose, Other than maybe "Your just too awesome for words" Jennifer must rate this greatness with a digital pat on the back,  Ebay and the review system seems to work ok, but even there its a rather generic down the line response from the users.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 04:28:01 pm »
Facebook style like/dislike just seems to serve little purpose,

I always thought rep for individual posts (as opposed to users) would be cool instead of people replying with "+1" or "agreed" when they liked something.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
Facebook style like/dislike just seems to serve little purpose,

I always thought rep for individual posts (as opposed to users) would be cool instead of people replying with "+1" or "agreed" when they liked something.
Exactly.
Now, I can do 3 things:
Say I agree
+1
Or quote myself again

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »

Rep for all of you!

This.  Surely anyone that's read these boards with any cognitive ability knew that we weren't going to do it the way other boards do them.   We're a bunch of three year olds that act like it at times.  We get along, for the most part, and act up whenever we can get away with it.  Nobody is hating, just taking it with the usual solemnity that we've always shown.

Gotta agree with this.  There's no hate, just larking around, if you give this crowd a new novelty/toy to play with, they are going to do just that, toss it around a bit, test it, mess with it.  I reckon given TIME it would eventually settle down and maybe even be useful.  Was there fun being had at anyone's expense?   This ain't Facebook, most of us don't give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about popularity contests, there's nothing wrong with peer acknowledgement.  What you contribute to this forum is what matters, build, humour, information, support etc. not a number.   

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »
Kinda makes me sad all those stupid "rep" threads got my action than this place has seen in years.

I cannot get trade count to display no matter which theme I choose.

Also cannot delete posts.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »
Kinda makes me sad all those stupid "rep" threads got my action than this place has seen in years.

I cannot get trade count to display no matter which theme I choose.

Also cannot delete posts.

I see trade count using:
SMF Default Theme - Curve
Plus, I have bookmarks.  The other default didn't have bookmarks.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
How'd I end up with 8 rep and le Chuck got -900 some odd?   :D

I kind of like the Thumb up/down idea on posts, though. Something that would slightly influence search results to help you zero in on the better posts that match what your looking for.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »
Something that would slightly influence search results to help you zero in on the better posts that match what your looking for.

You know, back when Google Groups was still a thing, they added up and down votes on posts and everyone was convinced that they didn't do anything.  To test it, I punched in some phrase like "Gottlieb clear coat" and had GhostMouse downvote the top results something like 20,000 times over my lunch break.  Sure enough, a couple of days later, the top results were sent far to the back. 

But the most unfortunate result was probably 10,000 posts on rec.games.pinball a year from people going, "why did someone downvote my last post?  I thought it was a good question."

Do we really want that here?  We already had "respected" members acting like pieces of garbage with the half assed system we briefly had in place.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 08:04:00 pm »
Why cant we all just get along?