Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Resto-Mod: "Stars War" ROTJ Multi Cab (Planning Stage)  (Read 12866 times)

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
New Resto-Mod: "Stars War" ROTJ Multi Cab (Planning Stage)
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:06:17 am »
New Surprise Project underway:

Thought the project name was a fitting homage to the work Maximus is doing on his custom build:

I'm probably jinxing myself started this thread before having this in hand  :whap, but wanted to get started on the planning stages right away. I recently grabbed this guy online for five bills:

Weather is a delay in picking this up, but will have this home hopefully this weekend. I normally like to barter for most of the cabs I get (frugal like that, spend the $$$ on the restore I say), but you rarely see anything SW related for this low a price show up in my area, if ever. And mentioning it to the SO prompted her to get it for my anniversary gift, so YAY me!  :woot

In just the last few days I've been juggling a few ideas around on what I like to do with this project. I really don't see much out there about this cab or its rarity, but being a SW cab I really don't want to mod away like I normally do. Even though I never plan to sell this thing, I'd like to keep the cabinet purely in restoration mode, with any changes I make to the internals completely reversible.

That being said, I'd still like to get as much use out of this cab as possible, and I'm planning a multi-SW PC build after getting the current G07 and PCB / PSU components in completely refurbed and working order. Then swapping in a 19" VGA CRT and PC controlling the yoke with some form of analogue kade controller and custom wire harness to plug directly into the factory wiring.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
Re: New Resto-Mod: "Stars War" ROTJ Multi Cab (Planning Stage)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:25 am »
Software:

Ironically enough, I came across this thread that got me started on planning a SW build even before I saw the cab:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137291.0/topicseen.html

The original front end at the top of the thread is simply too cool. But as planning on my build continues, I realize I want at least the following games playable to start:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Trilogy: Arcade
Freespace 2 w/ Trilogy Mods

[Noob question incoming] Now maybe it's the ungodly hour or I'm just not looking in the right places, but in searching about the animated front end shown in the thread above I thought I saw people working on a custom ROTJ vector game using the assets from the other two games. What I did see stated it was not finished, but is anyone aware of this ever being available?

Not sure about the other yoke-style games, wanted to keep the theme purely SW based, but I'm sure I can include a way to get to them other than the normal front end or through a sub-menu. I'm going with Maximus Arcade which will be a first for me, so I'm sure I'll be picking a few brains here as I get going. I'll also try a custom build of Mame for the vector games as described here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=254782&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1
But if AAE can be used in this setup I'd like to try that, as well.

Hardware:
Going by the age of the games involved I'm hoping a mid-range i5 setup using on-board graphics with a SSD will be plenty to drive them. That and seeing I recently decommissioned that very PC in my home network I'd like to keep costs down. Question comes into play of a controller for the yoke. I have a standard Kade unit I haven't used yet, but not sure if it was analogue axis compliant.

Artwork
So far I haven't found anyone showing the side art for sale. And the only link I found that had anyone that -used- to sell it is here:
http://www.classicarcadegrafix.com/sunshop/index.php/action/item/id/413/prevaction/category/previd/new/prevstart/990/

I also was able to find the vectored artwork for the yoke graphic, so I may contact a few people directly unless anyone out there knows of a source.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
Awesome. I'd turn that ---smurfette--- into a Firefox, myself!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:01:31 pm »
Awesome. I'd turn that ---smurfette--- into a Firefox, myself!  :cheers:

Very tempting, but for once I'm compelled to keep it original. If anything I'd love to have a original style dedicated Major Havoc, but the cabinets are just different enough to be a problem.

I'll still build my MH Atari cabaret, someday....

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
I think the game you are referring to was developed by the same guy that did the front end.  I'll try to look for it.

I used the way back machine to look at his WordPress blog.   Seems he had a child in 2011?  Anyway that is a fair reason to put a project on hold.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:40:56 pm by Generic Eric »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »
If you need a new Yoke overlay, I have a slightly damaged one that is otherwise mint. PM me.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »
I think the game you are referring to was developed by the same guy that did the front end.  I'll try to look for it.

I used the way back machine to look at his WordPress blog.   Seems he had a child in 2011?  Anyway that is a fair reason to put a project on hold.

It was.  TMK it died on the vine.  He never released anything beyond a video of some fly around. 

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:59 pm »

It was.  TMK it died on the vine.  He never released anything beyond a video of some fly around.

Well that sucks. I recall seeing that video and thought it was an awesome idea. My little one was born on 2010 so I can relate on the life freeze. Curious if the community can coax him back to the dark side. >:D

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »

Well that sucks. I recall seeing that video and thought it was an awesome idea. My little one was born on 2010 so I can relate on the life freeze. Curious if the community can coax him back to the dark side. >:D

Wouldn't that be nice.  No harm in trying.  I've sent the guy a half dozen emails over the years both stroking his ego (rightfully so) and asking for status, help, whatever to no avail but that doesn't mean others shouldn't try. 

Back to your build tho, I hope you get the cab, I have always really liked that cab shape even tho others have poo-poo'd it in the past.  There's a lot you can do with it, great bones there imho.  Looking foward to what you do with it!

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »
FWIW, I emailed him.  The force must flow.  With us.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:54:53 pm by Generic Eric »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
Really looking forward to this build.  My only question is how are you going to set up the controls for both the Original 3 SW games and The Trilogy when both have separate controls?  The original 3 have a yoke and the arcade has a joystick button combination.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:09 am »
Really looking forward to this build.  My only question is how are you going to set up the controls for both the Original 3 SW games and The Trilogy when both have separate controls?  The original 3 have a yoke and the arcade has a joystick button combination.

SW Trilogy uses an analogy joy that maps the same as a yoke.  Having had the machine I can tell you it plays a helluva lot better with a yoke too. The two buttons used in Tril can be mapped whever, probably to triggers and thumb switch for the action button. 

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:50 am »

SW Trilogy uses an analogy joy that maps the same as a yoke.  Having had the machine I can tell you it plays a helluva lot better with a yoke too. The two buttons used in Tril can be mapped whever, probably to triggers and thumb switch for the action button.

Why should I believe someone with a -995 rep?   :laugh:   So the yoke itself can be pushed and pulled in almost a 8 way joystick fashion?  Guess my question is how were the lightsaber fights possible?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:38:50 am by jdbailey1206 »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:42 am »

That is good to know.  This nugget should find a place on the Star Wars portion of the WIKI.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:37 am »

Why should I believe someone with a -995 rep?   :laugh:   So the yoke itself can be pushed and pulled in almost a 8 way joystick fashion?

Tril never had an 8 way so your comparison falls flat at inception; however, the yoke can move with the same range of motion as the analog joy that is found natively on Tril, and is a bit better imho because you've got two hands on the thing rather than one. 

Both use to pots, both are self centering, both use gearing to achieve the same range of motion.  They just use different axes of rotation. 

and it's a dash not a minus.  It's like super reputation.  Like wow, that mf'er needs a damn dash its so high.  Yeah@!

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:57 am »
Why should I believe someone with a -995 rep?   :laugh:   So the yoke itself can be pushed and pulled in almost a 8 way joystick fashion?  Guess my question is how were the lightsaber fights possible?

I believe this will work on the other axis the yoke can move, or I'll map a button for the action.

Confirmed pick-up for tomorrow morning (it'll be a 5 hour round trip). I'll update with pics hopefully sometime tomorrow. If I can get any time today I'll start prepping the PC as well.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:20 am »
The only time the yoke kinda feels odd is during the lightsaber battles but those feel odd nomatter what, I think the game kinda falls flat in those areas.  The blaster fights play comfortably with the yoke, the initial Hoth stages are sooo much better and the deathstar attack is like you're going home.  Use a yoke, you're not missing anything.

To answer directly, you just move the yoke in the direction that the screen flashes (rotate handles counter clockwise to go up).   

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:30 am »
The only time the yoke kinda feels odd is during the lightsaber battles but those feel odd nomatter what, I think the game kinda falls flat in those areas.  The blaster fights play comfortably with the yoke, the initial Hoth stages are sooo much better and the deathstar attack is like you're going home.  Use a yoke, you're not missing anything.

To answer directly, you just move the yoke in the direction that the screen flashes (rotate handles counter clockwise to go up).   

Hmmmmmmm..... good to know.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 10:58:27 am »
And that's all I asked is how the yoke moved in comparison to the ANALOG joystick.  I never called the Trilogy joystick an 8 way.  I'm well aware of how it worked since I did my homework to see how hard it would be to create a desktop PC version the the Trilogy.  Also if it is of any interest I found this.  Looks like it can be used in conjunction with a PC with the adapter.

And I can tell by your heavy 13 year old girl sarcasm that you enjoy the new system.  Totes.   :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:00:53 am by jdbailey1206 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:59:40 am »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:25 am »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:29 am »
And that's all I asked is how the yoke moved in comparison to the ANALOG joystick.  I never called the Trilogy joystick an 8 way.  I'm well aware of how it worked since I did my homework to see how hard it would be to create a desktop PC version the the Trilogy.  Also if it is of any interest I found this.  Looks like it can be used in conjunction with a PC with the adapter.

And I can tell by your heavy 13 year old girl sarcasm that you enjoy the new system.  Totes.   :)

Stear clear of "scam-controls" there are other sources for the same doohicky out there, frankly, after wiring up the PS3 stick with analogs I did for "M" I don't think I'll ever use anything other than the Analog Kade stick again.  That sucker was easy peasey japanesey.   

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 01:49:55 pm »
Could not get it in place and wiped down fast enough before it started getting play time,  :lol

It's in great shape, certainly not mint by any means but for the price can't complain one bit.

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 03:38:17 pm »
Some pics of the cabinet:

The graphics around the control panel are pristine, actually look relatively new.

The yoke graphic is a little rough and steering axis is not as smooth as I'd like. Will have to look for a rebuild kit and replacement overlay. Also looks to be a chip out of the one corner.

Marquee is in great shape. Side art is what I expected from the auction pics. New side art, black textured vinyl, and t-molding for the cab will be on the agenda. Coin door will require new quarter labels and some red LEDs. A dip in some citris strip and a respray as well. But overall structurally in great shape. Not bad for 30 years old.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 11:29:56 pm »
While you could play the new game with a Yoke...  It wont be a great control option, due to the way it moves.  Its not really set up well for that kind of knife slashing motion.   Imagine trying to use a Yoke for Street Fighter II.    While yes, the game in question is analog... but the analog axis's are all on the same plane.

If you really wanted to play all of these games..  it would be best to have both controller types.   Even if its a mini thumbstick on the side.

Personally, I dont bother playing the new version.  It looks cheesy as heck, its an easy "quarter to continue" style game (no skill required), and does not evoke even a sliver of the greatness of experiences, that you find on the original machine.

Id love to see a Stereoscopic 3d hack of the Original however.   Maybe even with two projectors lasers as the display.   :)

The remake the guy started, would have turned out as boring as the rest of the new 3d based games.  They feel slow (like the racing sim games.. where a 200mph feels like 30mph),  scripted (boring repeated patterns of poorly designed dumb AI) , easy,  boring.    Where as the original, bent the rules.. and thrust you into non stop intense action, every second.   The enemies were always all over your butt...  coming out from either side, at various angles, and changing directions and patterns as you chased & fired.   All based on the screen and difficulty, rather than real 3d tracking of ships in 3d space.   Games dont have to be ultra realistic..  Its far more important to be fun and challenging, and to evoke emotional connections.

Id love to also see a Jedi vector remake, that has the same level of intensity, precision control, speed, and wonderful spirit, as the original.

IMO, as cool as the Toe cable thing was on Empire...   the game isnt as fun as the 1st.

I did like ROTJ (game) better than Empire, but the way it was presented was a bit too limited and control felt too sloppy.   If the field of scrolling was much greater..   with better control, possibly smaller scale to allow more room for gameplay.. it may have had much greater love.

Still, a vector view, especially a speeder bike section that actually is extremely fast..  with sliding analog throttle, would be very awesome indeed.  (esp. in stereoscopic 3d)

Stereoscopic 3d would be so much better for these games actually.   As I recall having a lot of trouble with depth timing and the trench runs in the later more difficult stages.

A wider trench, with paths that went zigged further left, right, up and down...  even a few possible split paths..  would have been great as well.

In Jedi, thats more like what happens in the final entry scene..  when they are traveling past the pipes and chambers... taking multiple paths and such, to draw fire from the enemies.

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:45 am »
You got to be kidding me:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/tag/4308793562.html

Right after the ROTJ find and 5 hour round trip a Fire Fox comes up and in my back yard no less. :angry:

If you're in the area I say grab it, they are asking $500.

Being broke sucks  :lol

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
Just spotted this thread - subscribed!.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »
If you have an account on  KLOV, here's a thread on getting the side art reprinted:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=297920

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 11:17:35 am »
If you have an account on  KLOV, here's a thread on getting the side art reprinted:

AWESOME! Just posted there and Phoenix has been good with their products so I'm psyched.  Good looking out as always  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:45 am »

AWESOME! Just posted there and Phoenix has been good with their products so I'm psyched.  Good looking out as always  :cheers:

Any time, my brother!  :gobama

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:53 pm »
Awesome idea for a project.  Could make getting a Star Wars yoke all the rage again.

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 12:37:19 pm »
I have nothing to add.  I just wanna watch.

subscribed.

AJ

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »
You got to be kidding me:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/tag/4308793562.html

Right after the ROTJ find and 5 hour round trip a Fire Fox comes up and in my back yard no less. :angry:

If you're in the area I say grab it, they are asking $500.

Being broke sucks  :lol

This never happens.  Ever.   :lol

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »
If I had the money, that would be at my house.  Damn income tax return!

AJ

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »
Me too. I loved Firefox as a kid.

TKW4rr10r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »
I should have been quicker with my contact to him to barter. Not surprising withing a couple hours it was already sold. Ah well so it goes....

iamjimmic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2017, 03:49:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
Hey, great thread... if I had seen it earlier I would have given you a heads up on the Phoenix side art, but fortunately you found out about it.

I too have been working on maming a Jedi (that's got to be a quote from the dark side!) for about 15 years now! Back in the day, the pots in the yoke were my main problem - they are not compatible with a PC, so you have to find ones that are. An old hack was to use the pots from a PC analogue joystick called a sidewinder. I still have one upstairs... another incomplete project! A big part of the reason why I didn't swap the pots was that the yoke would no longer work with the Jedi PCB.

Anyway, put that project to bed and roll the clock forward 15 years and I came across RAM controls. I know they have had a lot of bad press and a lot of people apparently got burned, but they manufactured some amazing things - one being the PC interface for the Yoke.... At last I had a way to keep the arcade pots but still be able to attach the yoke to a mame PC.

You can still find sellers with them in stock - but catch them while you can, RAM controls wont be making any more of them. The PC interface is very impressive - very well made. I have tried it with a number of games - obviously Star Wars... I had to tweak the mame settings a lot but I eventually got it working really well. ROTJ is ok but the version on Mame isn't 100%. Empire is great. Some other games that worked really well included Out Run and Space Harrier. I also got good results from Fire Fox. It is quite funny trying it with random games such as Gorf and Pacman... the results are mixed! Some games just don't work - sadly Pole Position was one of them. And the front end... I love the Star Wars front ends linked on this site, but I plan to go down the Hyperspin route - and include as many quality games that work with the Yoke as I can.

Last year a ROTJ came up in the UK at a good price. The cab was missing all of the artwork and was quite beat up. Truth be told I originally bought it for spares but then I figured to breath new life into and go down the Mame route.

So first step was a full yoke rebuild... It amazing how much better it is with a good internal clean, new springs, new bumpers etc. If you rebuild the yoke, I would advise against removing the brass bushes - they were a mega pain to take out and put back.

Next, full powder coat - every bit of metal bar the blue sides were coated. The powder coaters couldn't match the blue on the sides and they would have stripped the texture, so I opted to have these sprayed by a body shop. The result is great and the colour almost identical to the originals.

Next to go was the vinyl. A complete strip - back to bare wood. I took the cab apart.. I couldn't see any other way of doing it properly. Then a lot of filler and sanding. A LOT. I used 5 tins of P45 (bondo). It took forever, but the end result was a smooth cab and all corners restored.

A mate me helped re-route and then time to re-apply new black vinyl. I tried lots of types of black vinyl and by far the best match was black pica from Happ Controls. This is really expensive but it is virtually an identical match to the original Atari finish. I was really concerned with the vinyl and how well it would bond. I tried a few methods and recorded my results here:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=304789&highlight=black+vinyl

The best result was a combination of auto body primer and 3M 94 primer. Best tip for applying vinyl - make temporary plugs for all of the cut outs.

And this is where I am... Side art and a new Yoke overlay have been ordered from Phoenix. The one thing I am still missing are the control panel decals - I don't think Phoenix will be doing these. I actually have some NOS ones but I don't want to use them - I would prefer to keep the in case I need to scan them and print new decals myself.

I have one initial question... why are you keen to replace the monitor with a VGA? I pondered for a long time regarding which way I should go with the monitor. Because the main games I wanted to play are Vectors (SW & Empire), I thought LED/LCD would give the best result. But the trouble is that ROTJ looks cr*p on anything but an arcade monitor. So I have finally decided to stay with the arcade monitor. It's a pain - needing a specialised video card, and isolation transformer etc but I think the results are worth it. I am actually putting in a burn free arcade monitor that I sourced before Christmas.

When it is finally complete, the ROTJ will sadly be sold! Only because I still have my old one from 15 years ago - so I will repeat the process on mine. But my Jedi will be dual purpose - running both the arcade boards and mame. Plenty of room to hide the mame pc in the base of the cab, so you wont even see the mame PC when you open it up. It might take a while to sell the mame Jedi because it wont be cheap... the cost of the black vinyl alone has cost hundreds of dollars...

I hope I am not hijacking the thread but I have two questions for the forum... and they are related to your build...

Apart from those games already mentioned , what games folk think might work well with the yoke?

What spec do you recommend for a Jedi Mame PC? I want something quick starting (so SSD) and it has to cope with the games suggested.

I will def keep tabs on this thread and see how you get on. If I can help with anything just ask.

Good luck!

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 05:40:19 pm »
@iamjimmic
Check out http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137798.msg1425974.html#msg1425974

and the thread about the Star Wars Front end.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133795.120.html

This isn't the latest version of the front end, but has the most spacey games.  Give it a look.

Also.  Create a project thread and post pics!  Folks love pics!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:19:00 am by Generic Eric »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »
I came across RAM controls. I know they have had a lot of bad press and a lot of people apparently got burned, but they manufactured some amazing things - one being the PC interface for the Yoke.... At last I had a way to keep the arcade pots but still be able to attach the yoke to a mame PC.

You can still find sellers with them in stock - but catch them while you can, RAM controls wont be making any more of them. The PC interface is very impressive - very well made.

Other than the odd numbering of the triggers/buttons, the RAM interface does work well.
(sold mine to 1500points once KADESTICK was working)

IMHO, why pay $75+ (last price I saw one selling for) for a shrinking supply of RAM encoders when you can easily get the connector/pins from Twistywrist and a KADESTICK firmware compatible board (the firmware is easily ported to new boards) for <1/3 the price and not need another encoder for any desired admin buttons?

Also, Jon has been experimenting on a different board (less pins) that uses the same processor as KADESTICK, but costs <$9 shipped from HK.   :o

Scott

iamjimmic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2017, 03:49:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 10:01:40 am »
I came across RAM controls. I know they have had a lot of bad press and a lot of people apparently got burned, but they manufactured some amazing things - one being the PC interface for the Yoke.... At last I had a way to keep the arcade pots but still be able to attach the yoke to a mame PC.

You can still find sellers with them in stock - but catch them while you can, RAM controls wont be making any more of them. The PC interface is very impressive - very well made.

Other than the odd numbering of the triggers/buttons, the RAM interface does work well.
(sold mine to 1500points once KADESTICK was working)

IMHO, why pay $75+ (last price I saw one selling for) for a shrinking supply of RAM encoders when you can easily get the connector/pins from Twistywrist and a KADESTICK firmware compatible board (the firmware is easily ported to new boards) for <1/3 the price and not need another encoder for any desired admin buttons?

Also, Jon has been experimenting on a different board (less pins) that uses the same processor as KADESTICK, but costs <$9 shipped from HK.   :o

Scott

Love what you have done with the KADESTICK Scott - I wasn't aware of that option. And I do like that you can include extra connections for admin buttons etc. Good work!