Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ATX power supply no start condition.  (Read 1058 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
ATX power supply no start condition.
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
Been having an issue with a few ATX power supplies in computers/games where they play possum and won't power on unless you pull the AC lead (or turn the hard switch off and on again)

I have a feeling it's the switchmode supply part entering some kind of overload or over volt or something and shutting down (power sag maybe?). Pulling the AC always resets them.

one in particular (i'm going there shortly to replace the supply) has been shut down at the end of the night but won't power back on in the morning. (didn't call us till yesterday  :angry: ) pull the plug and it's good again.  :banghead:

Anybody have any insight as to what the deal is? It's kind of a pain in the butt to have to drive to a site to power cycle a freaking plug.

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: ATX power supply no start condition.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:22:08 pm »
shawn
find the green wire,comming out of the psu
tie it to ground,black wire..
this will by-pass the auto turn on of the comp,and bring the supply full on.
if u do this and it wont turn on? then u have a problem with the load

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: ATX power supply no start condition.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »
it's dead dead. the supply has shut off. no +5sb or nothing. pull the plug...plug it back in. no problem. +5sb comes up...hit the power and it fires right up.

it's almost as if there is a power surge or something that shuts down the supply. C/S that the machine is shut down at night...doesn't turn back on in the AM.

I swapped it out and will do some testing on it. (TAKE IT APAHT!)