Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Blip - 100% complete - Updated the Control panel  (Read 117860 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Blip - 100% complete
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
So how does the cabinet tell which control panel is hooked up so it can automatically load the right game lists?  If it doesn't do that it totally should. I'm thinking two different contacts unique to each panel and an AHK script listening to open the right version of the FE based on the change.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
Great job! Love that marquee!
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

matsadona

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: Blip
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
So after hacking a molex cable and connecting it to this switch I can now go from 224 lines to 256 lines simply by flicking the switch. Aces.

Replace the switch with a relay (driven by Ledblinky) and it will be done automatically :)

By the way, does Groovymame have its own drivers or are you using something like Soft15kHz?
I would like to do a CRT MAME build, but haven't got the time to investigate how it is done...
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:36 am »
late to the party..

Masterpiece.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:37:02 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »
So how does the cabinet tell which control panel is hooked up so it can automatically load the right game lists?  If it doesn't do that it totally should. I'm thinking two different contacts unique to each panel and an AHK script listening to open the right version of the FE based on the change.

It doesn't but that's a pretty good idea. Got to admit I wouldn't know where to start with that! I think I need to look into this ahk stuff anyway as want to set my pause button to exit if pressed for a few seconds.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:53 pm »
Replace the switch with a relay (driven by Ledblinky) and it will be done automatically :)

Now that does sound very cool.  I would have to find another use for my switching button - maybe some subtle undercab lighting, or use it to turn the gun recoil on and off... hmmm... resisting temptation to change post heading to 99% complete again...

By the way, does Groovymame have its own drivers or are you using something like Soft15kHz?
I would like to do a CRT MAME build, but haven't got the time to investigate how it is done...

I'm using CRT emudriver so everything just works with groovymame. I am currently having a problem with groovymame at the moment as controls are laggy and floaty but as noone else seems to be having this problem I'm convinced its got something to do with my setup.  A fun troubleshooting evening lies ahead of me when I get some time...

Oh - and cheers for the comments guys. Hope people can find something useful in the build.

Of course now I want to do another cab. Or a virtual pinball table. But I seriously think my missus would blow a fuse if I suggested it   :timebomb: Maybe I'll give it a little while  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:28:35 pm by markc74 »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:57 pm »

It doesn't but that's a pretty good idea. Got to admit I wouldn't know where to start with that! I think I need to look into this ahk stuff anyway as want to set my pause button to exit if pressed for a few seconds.

Do you have an encoder that is always plugged in or do they switch out with the panels?  If they switch out you'd need to either have a way to consistently recognize which is plugged in (DRVenture's usb application comes to mind) and have AHK watch for a unique ID then execute the proper instance of the FE at start up.  If you have one always in you can do the same thing with button presses if you have open inputs and just have switches set to activate unique to each panel (hot glue some blocks on the panels and some switches to the cab - we all know you won't use hotglue but that's the idea).  The script could even continue to watch and if you depress the other button would exit the FE and restart the proper instance.

If you have a free USB port I'd just harvest a cheapo game pad or something if it won't interfere with your other control layouts.

The FE would be easy, just set up two instances of MALA or whatever and point the script at either one.   

I can give help with the script if it's the button press version - I'm amateur at AHK but passable.  Nitz could do this in his sleep if we can coax him out of lurkermode.  He knocked my TRON script out of the park.  I'm seriously thinking of building a version of this cab next year for myself - probably without the marqueintor tho unless one bounces off the back of a truck so I have a real interest in seeing that mod up and running. 

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
I have an encoder in each - a minipac in the single player panel and an ipac in the 2 player panel. I'm following what your saying and it makes sense. I'll do some moreresearch once I've nailed the lag problem but i'd definately appreciate any help that was offered!

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »
Very nice! I always enjoy seeing your creations.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:17 am »
I have an encoder in each - a minipac in the single player panel and an ipac in the 2 player panel. I'm following what your saying and it makes sense. I'll do some moreresearch once I've nailed the lag problem but i'd definately appreciate any help that was offered!

Or you could use a front-end front-end. Yes that sounds ridiculous, but bear with me as I explain. For my Magneto Cab I wanted to be able to switch between Mala, and Steam. Furthermore, before starting Mala I need to program the KeyWiz, and before starting Steam I need to switch the audio/video to the HMDI output. In the future I also want to construct a second control panel. To make switching between this stuff all easy, I created a Launcher. With that you configure things to launch. Each thing or FE, consists of an image, description, and a list of commands that need to be executed. Each FE image is automatically scaled / aligned / centered / etc. The whole thing is controlled with a joystick and 2 buttons. It can also shut down windows when exited.

Here is an example image:

More info here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1414108.html#msg1414108

Now imagine that screenshot with photos of your control panels.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:45 am »
hmmm... resisting temptation to change post heading to 99% complete again...

Isn't it always a 99% status for our builds/projects? ;)
For me it is, since I always find some details to improve, but usually it turns out in a new build (leaving the old one not 100% perfect..).
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2014, 05:46:30 am »

Or you could use a front-end front-end.

That's another good solution but don't you have to back out of the first FE and get to the selection menu?  With AHK monitoring it could just kill everything when you pop the panel - even if you're in mid game, and then start up the new FE for you.  I think with yours you'd run into fewer bugs and it is a very clean setup but think there are advantages to the other way as well. 

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:43 am »
That's another good solution but don't you have to back out of the first FE and get to the selection menu?  With

Yes you would need to exit/quit/kill the FE to get back to the launcher screen.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »
Very nice!  That's the first LCD marquee I seen done right!  BTW, love the name Blip, mostly because it doesn't end in 'cade!   :D

jan25th

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2021, 05:53:44 pm
  • Long time lurker
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147244.0.html
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:59 am »
Very nice!  That's the first LCD marquee I seen done right!  BTW, love the name Blip, mostly because it doesn't end in 'cade!   :D

Amen.

andyf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2015, 09:57:08 am
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:27 am »
Markc74, i commented on your video on youtube regarding using this LCD marquee in hyperspin. If you want any of the AHK scripts i made i'll gladly shove them on pastebin or something.

Here's a video of it working in a predator themed cab i made:

Using Tapatalk

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »
So awesome...

I'm planning on a build after Christmas, and thinking I may borrow/steal your idea of mounting a spare control panel (actually will be a flat surface to allow keyboard/mouse PC gaming) on top of the cabinet.

I'm curious what kind of mechanism you used to secure the CP on top of the cab, and also in the playable position?

Thanks!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
I'm curious what kind of mechanism you used to secure the CP on top of the cab, and also in the playable position?
Thanks!

Thanks for the comments chap. The CP's are held in place with pure friction. They aint going anywhere.  I'd planned to use some velcro but it just wasn't needed in the end.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2014, 05:12:15 pm »
Markc74, i commented on your video on youtube regarding using this LCD marquee in hyperspin. If you want any of the AHK scripts i made i'll gladly shove them on pastebin or something.

Here's a video of it working in a predator themed cab i made:

Hi chap - that would be aces. I haven't had a chance to do anything on the cab recently as I have been decorating the room it's in (it has lots of dust sheets protecting it!) but plan to get all the little software bugs ironed out as soon as I can get back on it.

Do your scripts require Hyperspin? I'm currently using MALA but have been experimenting a bit with hyperspin on my laptop and it doesn't seem to be as much of a pain in the ass as I was expecting... well apart from downloading all the themes anyway...!

Love the cab by the way - is there a build log?

andyf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2015, 09:57:08 am
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2014, 05:03:12 am »
Hi, I'll shove the scripts on pastebin shortly.  It works by intercepting commands sent to LEDBlinky so i would guess it would work with MaLa in much the same way.

the software works by checking if a marquee is found in a pre-configured directory and if not it selects the wheel art (whch i guess is applicable to Hyperspin only) - it then resizes it and saves a cached copy to a folder and sets it as your desktop wallpaper.

I don't have a build log of this cab, i'm trying to sell it actually as people like you have converted me to the beauty of minimalism!

I'm going to build a new one soon which i may well document!
Using Tapatalk

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:01 am »
Wow.  How did I not see this?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:49 pm »
Mind if I add this build to the wiki and upload the photo from here?

Project Type: Upright Arcade Cabinet
Construction Method: Scratch built
Monitor Type: Shallow 25” CRT (more details?)
Interface Type: Mini-Pac Opti on the single player panel and an I-PAC2 on the 2 player panel
Special Controls: Servo sticks, spinner, trackball, light gun

* LCD marquee
* LEDs to indicate the controls used by the current game
* Swappable control panels
* Mounting area on top for control panel
* Aimtrak gun w. recoil kit
* Admin panel with volume knob and USB  ports
* Servo sticks with automatic switching between 4-way and 8-way

Are there any other features to include?

Scott

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:55 pm »
Hi Scott - Please do - I'd be flattered.

The CRT is a Bang and Olufson Beovision 1 --> http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=458

And it's running Windows XP 64 with a MALA frontend.

You've pretty much nailed the description. The only extra thing I can think of is the switch on the admin panel that switches between a 224 and 256 line display but that doesn't exactly sound very snappy!

Thanks,
Mark

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2014, 01:45:38 pm »

nanoflower

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2023, 04:32:37 pm
  • All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:07 am »
Hi Scott - Please do - I'd be flattered.

The CRT is a Bang and Olufson Beovision 1 --> http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=458

And it's running Windows XP 64 with a MALA frontend.

You've pretty much nailed the description. The only extra thing I can think of is the switch on the admin panel that switches between a 224 and 256 line display but that doesn't exactly sound very snappy!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark

That is quite and impressive build you have there  :applaud:

How did you manage to get the TV to power on automatically - have you modded the SCART cable or..?

/nano

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »
That's a strange one - I haven't modded the scart cable in any special way but sometimes it switches on automatically and other times it doesn't so I switch it on via the remote. I keep meaning to look at the cable and see if I can make another with the relevant voltage/resistors but then I switch in on, play and forget about it  ;D

One day I might do it but I hasn't bothered me in the year I've been using it so I'll probably save my efforts for the next cab!

nanoflower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2015, 01:34:20 pm »
That's a strange one - I haven't modded the scart cable in any special way but sometimes it switches on automatically and other times it doesn't so I switch it on via the remote. I keep meaning to look at the cable and see if I can make another with the relevant voltage/resistors but then I switch in on, play and forget about it  ;D

One day I might do it but I hasn't bothered me in the year I've been using it so I'll probably save my efforts for the next cab!

-ah I see! I'm thinking about picking up a BeoVision 1, most people almost give them away now - did yours come with a Beo1 of Beo4 remote?
/nano
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:07:49 pm by nanoflower »

zanna5910

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2023, 02:43:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »
This build is really awesome, you did a great job.

What font did you use for the blip text?
How deep is that tv once you decased it and angled it?
Do you have the marquee and tv on different hdmi/dvi signals in the card, or how did you configure them to display?

Thanks.  This is me when looking at this build:  :o

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »
-ah I see! I'm thinking about picking up a BeoVision 1, most people almost give them away now - did yours come with a Beo1 of Beo4 remote?
/nano

Hi Nano - It didnt come with a remote so I brought a knock off replacement from Ebay. Looking at my orders it was a Ersatz Fernbedienung B&O Beo4 Beolink1000 Beolink100 but searching I cant find it anymore. If you can get the TV with the remote then it definitely makes it easier!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:52 pm »
What font did you use for the blip text?
How deep is that tv once you decased it and angled it?
Do you have the marquee and tv on different hdmi/dvi signals in the card, or how did you configure them to display?

Thanks for the comments!

In answer to your questions:

• The font is called Bitewise and is a free download: http://www.dafont.com/bitwise.font
  • when decased and mounted the tv inc mount is 51cm (high) x 49cm (deep). There's a pic attached which shows how big it is when mounted. All grid lines are 1cm square
  • Yes the graphics card has TV (Scart) --> (RGB Scart cable) --> (VGA/DVI dongle) --> DVI port. The marquee monitor connects via HDMI.

Hope this helps!

nanoflower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »
(...)Yes the graphics card has TV (Scart) --> (RGB Scart cable) --> (VGA/DVI dongle) --> DVI port. The marquee monitor connects via HDMI.

Thanks for your reply. This caught my attention, should it be read in reverse like this?
Graphics card DVI out > DVI/VGA dongle > VGA to SCART cable > TV SCART in

cheers / nano

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:19 am »
Hello Blip chap. Where did you get your ultra-wide bar lcd from. Here in the UK also, and struggling to source one. Of course, I made the fatal mistake of making my can first and then wanting to fit one - so gotta source one under 610mm wide. Most UK suppliers go from 19inch to 28" - missing out the 26" that may just work in me cab!

Any info/leads appreciated...

(oh - and what do you use to drive your Marquee displays? Ifranview? I know it's probably up there somewhere, but...well..ya know!)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »
Hi chap. Got the marquee monitor direct from the source - litemax in taiwan. Its a spanpixel 2313 model if they still make them. I think jimbo on here has also got one.

The marquees are all displayed using artwork files in mame so they don't work for non mame emulators. Although if I did want them to work I'd probably use something like ifranview. I'm in the middle of a kitchen refit at the moment so a bit busy but I'll post some instructions for getting the artwork working at some point soon.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:01 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:09 pm »
Thanks chaps.

EDIT: Just read through this entire topic and realized the last version of this post totally ruined the flow. Bit like the advert for your local curry house just before star-wars starts, but in reverse. One of me fave, most inspiring cabs of all time.... not gonna spoil it. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:25:50 pm by stigzler »

necksnap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2015, 09:24:57 pm
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:03 pm »
This is amazing!
Will you be posting instructions on how you get the screen to show the games?
I have no idea how you did this but would love to try or have a friend try. Again, amazing work!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »
Chaps.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:55 pm »
Hi chap. Got the marquee monitor direct from the source - litemax in taiwan. Its a spanpixel 2313 model if they still make them. I think jimbo on here has also got one.

The marquees are all displayed using artwork files in mame so they don't work for non mame emulators. Although if I did want them to work I'd probably use something like ifranview. I'm in the middle of a kitchen refit at the moment so a bit busy but I'll post some instructions for getting the artwork working at some point soon.

Love the build and especially the marquee monitor.  Whenever you do get time I would certainly appreciate reading more about how you handled the artwork for it.  Thanks!

m.andrade1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 09:56:51 am
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2015, 10:34:34 am »
Hello Markc74
First want to congratulation you for the best ideia i´ve seen for now, your marquee lcd monitor is totaly awesome, i have a similiar mame cab project, using, PC running WinXP 32bit, with a 4350 Ati, J-pac, 20"inch tube original with an arcade monitor 15khz Brazilian brend (Eletrocyan), with CRT_emudriver, that by the way totaly rocks, using groovymame 0.162 for mame, and groovymame 0.164 for mess (Genesis, Atari2600, Msx), would like so much to put this litemax lcd monitor, but my cab doesnt fit the SSD2313, i´m looking for another a little smaller, but they dont have one i need around 570mmx170mm total on size to fit perfect, do you know another company that manufacter this type of ultrawide monitors ?
Thanks a lot for you project, it´s amazing !
I posted some photos of it running on this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,145821.0.html

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2015, 10:57:58 am »
Long live the Blip...

Blip-creator chap....did you ever collate all of the HQ mame marquees? Just got the dynamic marquee up and running on mine and finding the marquee set that I have horrendously LQ (some of them jus 350px wide :( ) - and they look like cack on my super-bright lcd display!

It seems the HQ versions are scattered wide and far (some from memory on AracdeArtwork; Mr Do's arcade and another random site that it purely just web file access).

I'm hoping you have, to save a job. If so - are you willing to share? But if not dunno if yer interested in helping start a project to get it done?

Let me know!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:36:09 pm by stigzler »