Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Blip - 100% complete - Updated the Control panel  (Read 116225 times)

Martijn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
Re: Blip
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 09:10:23 am »
Love the profile, keep up the good work !

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 03:41:00 am »
Well I was hoping to be able to show the laminated sides but I completely screwed it up. Used contact cement and a roller but the glue kinda fluffed up and when I put the laminate on it went on bumpy. It’s only slightly bumpy but I know it will annoy me every time I look at it so I’m going to redo it. I won't share the words I used at the time but just goes to show that you should always have a few practice goes first!

Since then I’ve chatted with a guy that used to laminate for a living and he’s given me some pointers which have definitely helped.

Anyway, in order to keep the momentum going I decided that I’d so some smaller pieces and laminate those to get my head around the process before continuing with the sides.

The Speaker panel

Whilst I showed the speaker box before I didn't have the panel that it was going to mount it in so made that. It’s a fairly simple rectangle with a hole in that holds the speaker box.

The speaker box itself will be covered with speaker cloth and then the panel will be laminated. If it sounds over-complicated, it is. When I designed it, it made sense but the pics should show you what I mean.
And the laminating worked quite well this time :-)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 03:47:41 am »
The Admin Panel

The speaker panel didn’t take very long so I thought I’d make a start on the coin door panel. The coin door bit is fairly straight forward but as I’m also adding an admin panel onto this piece I thought I might explain what I’m doing.

It’s got the usual volume and usb ports but I’ve also added a ‘Screen’ switch. AKA the Awesome switch.

The TV I’m using has a digital service menu so in order to change the vertical height of the screen I have to use the remote control and tweak it that way. Well thats a buzz kill so after lots of reading and messing around with the TV I realised that I could set different geometry settings for each ‘format’ (4:3 and widescreen mode).

I set up the 4:3 mode to display 224 lines and the widescreen mode to display 256. So then I could change the ‘format’ using the remote control and it would switch happily between the 2 settings.This is great as I can play Double Dragon, change to Frogger and press the switch and everything would fill the vertical height nicely.

But then the awesome bit - which I’m sure I read about on here but can’t find the post (sorry but if it was you that discovered it - I’ve informally named the switch after you!) which was that by sending either 5v or 12v over the scart cable to pin 8 means the TV will switch into either 4:3 or widescreen. So after hacking a molex cable and connecting it to this switch I can now go from 224 lines to 256 lines simply by flicking the switch. Aces.

Anyway - thats it for this update. I’ve still got the gun mount to cut into the front panel which should be cool if my plan works. More on that later. Unless it doesn't work. In which case I'll bury all mention of it :-)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:49:37 am by markc74 »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:33 am »
That admin panel look fantastic.  I love the retro volume knob.   :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your laminate issues.  I hate it when that happens.  You might try using Loctite spray adhesive for my laminating.  It is very quick and easy.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116519.msg1253352.html#msg1253352

jongunz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2015, 11:57:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »
Nice work here.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 01:57:49 pm »
You know it’s a slow build when you keep having to scroll down for your Announcement thread :-)

Cheers wp34. Don't know if I can get that loctite stuff in the UK but I'll have a look. I'm using evostick cement and after doing some scrap bits I've got better at it but it definitely seems harder than it looks on YouTube! I've been getting some pointers tho and it seems to be going a lot better now. I have about 3 litres of evo left so if I don't get the results i'm looking for from that I'll switch to something else.

So time for a small update but an update nonetheless.

Turns out that by going at a snail's pace I've got plenty of time to mull over the little conundrums that pop up when building a cab. The gun mount was one of those problems where I couldn't find a nice way to mount the thing without sticking it to the side which I wanted to avoid.

The problem with mounting the gun in the front of the cab was holding the gun in place and not falling out.

I spent a while looking at magnets but couldn't get them to work right so had the idea of using a roller catch. I'm using an aimtrak and the protruding barrel seemed the ideal place to use a roller catch to hold the gun place.

I made a box (in the usual way you make boxes) with the roller catch inset into the bottom and it seems to work pretty well!

Mounted it to the coin door and then used a flush cutting bit on the router to make a tidy opening.

That's it for now. Next I'm gonna work on the back door and see if my laminating skills have improved. If that goes well  then I'll get back to the sides. (Which I know I'm dodging but the laminating screwup kinda zapped my mojo for a bit)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:45 am »
Hi guys - not an update as such as haven't done much apart from laminate the sides but when I put masking tape on the sides to mark out where the support strips were going I thought it reminded me of the MCP from Tron so thought I'd post a piccy...

All being well most of the woodwork/lamination will be done by this weekend and I'll have this baby standing up. Might start to feel like a real cab instead of just a collection of panels then!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 03:07:10 am »
It’s standing!

So I finished the remaining panels and laminated those. Added the furring strips and did a dry build to make sure everything fits as it should.

I’m pretty happy with the way it looks so I’ll take it apart and glue it together properly and then start mounting the electrics - then its onto the two control panels.

I still need to prep the control panel overlays for printing and finalise the design of the marquee but it definitely feels like the home stretch now.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 01:52:52 pm »
Major screwup with the coin door

I cant believe I missed this. When I had the cab standing (but not glued) I was test fitting everything to make it all went where it should and I put the coin door in to double check it wasn’t too low or anything like that.

So I put a couple of coins in and it immediately jammed. None of the coins were falling into the coin box and I realised it was because the coin door panel is at a 10 degree angle which means that coins can’t slide through the mechanism properly.

Bah. So went back to the drawing board and came up with this.

Ah well - better to find out now than when it is glued together. Still kicking myself though!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »
It'll look better anway, that's a nice addition and adds some interesting lines.  I like it!

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2014, 10:48:56 am »

I really like the retro-inspired design, and I'm a big fan of that style for the cabinet base, it adds depth to the shape. It makes it look more arcade-ish.

You heard me.   :D

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:45 pm »
Like that better - makes cab more balanced. Liking this build... roll on the Blip.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »
Like that better - makes cab more balanced. Liking this build... roll on the Blip.

I fully agree. Mistakes can make things better sometimes  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:58 pm »
It'll look better anway, that's a nice addition and adds some interesting lines.  I like it!

+1 

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »
Quarters? That's Outrageous!! Blip should only cost a nickel to play.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2014, 05:52:27 pm »
Thanks guys. It's definately growing on me and I think I do prefer the new lines. I'd done something similar on Terminus but that was built in from the start so I'd designed it in. This might be a bit tricky to get right as the sides are already done but I do love a challenge.

Giving myself a deadline now which is to get this 100% complete by my 40th in July. Seems like a long way away but I'm nearly 3 months in already and there seems so much left to do!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 05:54:52 pm »
Quarters? That's Outrageous!! Blip should only cost a nickel to play.

In Blighty here so 10p a go (with maybe a discount for byoac members!)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 02:38:04 am »
Cool. Another Uk builder! Fancy putting yourself on the map?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:10 pm »
Hey Mark. Thanks for adding to the map and hope the build's going well... Bring on the Blip.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 08:03:48 am »
So it’s been a while since I’ve done an update - mainly because there was nothing to post as I was kinda stuck working out how to redo the coin door panel. Anyway, after a few false starts I eventually found a nice way to rebuild the front which would be stable - so on with the update…

Coin door panel v2

I ended up having to rebuild the base of the cabinet to have an extra protrusion in the bottom so the new coin door could be secured to it as only using the sides wasn't going to be strong enough.

That done I recut the pillar which contained the coin door and admin panel and secured that centrally to the base and an equal distance to the sides.

Once that was done I then recut the angled sides (one with the gun hole) and secured those to the central pillar and sides as well.

Happy with how it was looking I then laminated all the pieces and did the final mounting the rest of the cabinet

Even though this was loads of work I’m much happier with the base now as it looks more like a real cab - as a side effect it’s also more stable too - although it was pretty stable before I don't know how well it would have handled a two year old wannabe mountaineer hanging off the control panel…!

Back panels

A fairly easy one this after all the shenanigans of the front panel. The back panel is in 3 parts, the bottom houses the intake fans and the power inlet, the middle panel is the door which is hinged from the bottom and the top panel simply fills the gap at the top. I don’t need to provide too much access to the top from the back as the monitor slides out the front.

Power

Another simple update - I wired up the IEC socket to go directly to a single plug socket - in this socket is an Intelliplug which basically turns on all the other sockets when it detects power going into the master socket.  The plug only comes with 2 extra sockets and I needed 3 (marquee light, TV and AimTrak recoil power supply) so I wired up a 4 way extension.

Marquee

Whilst on a roll I then did the marquee - I did this by cutting a notch in the speaker panel and top panel which will be used to hold the perspex. The perspex will be held in place with t-molding.

I’m currently using a spare MDF cut-off in place of perspex as I wanted to triple check the size before ordering the perspex for this marquee and bezel.

So - getting very close to the end now. Here’s the major jobs left to do:

• Order and fit perspex
  • Finish graphics for CPOs and marquee and send to be printed
  • Mount the PC in the cab and run the cabling around for lights and fans etc
  • Wire up the control panels
  • Finish the MALA layout

Sooooo close...!  Cheers for all the comments guys

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
Looking proper dapper.

The new base design will also work really good with pedals for any racing games.

Let me know which peinters you use. Stuck on that at the momeny in uk. Tried  arcade peint shop on ebay but a let down. Sent two messages early last week but no reply. :(

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 08:31:56 am »
I know that I'm a bit late getting in here on your mistake, but to be honest... I think it looks so much better because of that mistake. I liked it before, but now it's got so much more character.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:53 am »
Cheers stigzler - it definately feels like it's getting there

If you mean printers(?) then I'm probably going to use these guys --> http://www.pixartprinting.co.uk/wide-format/printing-self-adhesive-pvc/flat-surface-adhesive/

I've heard varying reports but they're cheap and local so I was going to try their stuff without lamination to see what the quality looks like and if it's good I'll get it done with them. Either way I'll need a template to mark out the button holes so I there's nothing to lose by trying them.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 08:37:14 am »
Thanks DarakuTenshi - I much prefer it too. Was a real pain to redo but I much prefer it too. Definitely feels more like a classic cab.

Love your cab by the way - the artwork looks amazing  :applaud:

Still not entirely convinced about not using sideart on mine - think I'm gonna wait until it's built and see how I feel about it

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »
Well it's been a month so I thought I should probably post something - especially seeing as my original deadline for finishing this was mid-July...

There's plenty of stuff that's been done but it's the fairly boring tidying up and wiring stuff so I'll leave that until later once it looks a bit nicer.

In the meantime I've been working on my MALA layout which is now pretty much done:

MALA Layout

I've gone for something very simple to match the cab so plain black and white is the order of the day with red highlights to show the selected game and how many times it has been played

My controls in MALA are also very basic:

Joystick selects the game
P1 Start runs the selected game
P2 Start opens up the info window and allows you to see game info, flyers and cabinet pictures
Pause (the middle black button) selects a random game

That’s it - no list management via the control panel as I’m running one consolidated list of MAME, model 2 and model 3 games. I'm not running any console or computer games on here so that should be all the controls I need on a day to day basis. I can always pull out the wireless keyboard if I want to do something not covered by the above.

My favourites list is currently about 200 games but I’ll be filtering that down when I start using it properly and have a better idea of what I want to play on it.

Control Panel LEDs test

I'll be sending the final graphics to get printed in the next couple of days but thought I'd show a few shots of the temporary CPO in place and show how the LEDs are planned to work. Ignore the dust... I spent a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time drilling all the holes out for this as all the LEDS need to be exactly in the right place for it to look right.

Showing Button 2 is active...

Showing spinner is active...

I'm really liking the way the LEDs look but I might have thought twice about them if I'd have realised how much work they would be!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »
Love it, my friend!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2014, 10:17:17 pm »
Wow! This is coming along nicely!!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 11:38:41 pm »
I know that I'm a bit late getting in here on your mistake, but to be honest... I think it looks so much better because of that mistake. I liked it before, but now it's got so much more character.

+1000. I completely agree. This project is looking great

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2014, 08:11:00 pm »
I really like the LED indicators. Are they underneath the CP overlay? From the photos, they look like philips screw heads when they're off? Care to post a close-up of the LEDs, off and on?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2014, 04:20:23 am »
Thanks for the comments guys - I showed it to the missus and I don't think she was as impressed as I was  :-\

Artwork is now ordered so should have these panels done in a week or so.

Yvan256 - the LEDS will be under the overlay. What looks like screwheads are just the drill markings I used to position the holes for the LEDS. When the CPO is printed it will be flat white which glows red when lit.

A couple of close ups here should give you a better idea:

The LED...

Secured into the hole by friction (left hole is currently empty)

The overlay positioned over the LED. Button 2 is unlit but final print will be plain white with no red cross

From another angle. You can clearly see the red crosses and pilot holes I drilled here

A final shot showing the whole single player panel

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 05:52:50 am »
I showed it to the missus and I don't think she was as impressed as I was  :-\

I know what you feel  :laugh2: It's the same over-here..I spent a lot of time in detail things out, and the missus only see the finished project and say, that's nice ...... and never see the difference in the small steps you made.

But I like every step on your building process  :notworthy:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 08:02:37 am »
I like it. :cheers: Won't the LEDs be obscured by your arm, though?

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:24 am »
Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Why do people always have to inspire others to have ideas they know they have no time to follow through with? This is so smart - I just have to say. It makes me want to make a new cab, based upon this:

...but I think my Super-Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 would get angry.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:52 am »
I like it. :cheers: Won't the LEDs be obscured by your arm, though?

They do a little if you're hovering over the controls. I could have put the LEDs above the controls but they never really looked right. Because i put them underneath i then realised I'd have to mount the bulbs under the overlay otherwise they might rub against your wrist. Ultimately they're eye candy though as most people bang all the buttons to see what happens anyway!  :hissy:

Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Why do people always have to inspire others to have ideas they know they have no time to follow through with? This is so smart - I just have to say. It makes me want to make a new cab, based upon this:

Thanks! Really like the LEDs in that. My only worry would be someone jamming something into them/sweating all over them. Definitely very cool though.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2014, 01:46:51 pm »
Rick -- At the risk of causing strife between you and your STTP3, the Merlin is emulated in MESS.   >:D

Scott

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »
A Merlin cab would be SICK!

I'd like to see a two player cocktail done with an electronic Baseball game myself. Had one as a kid, and recently when I was scrounging parts for my PlayChoice build I saw one at a pawn shop. Should have picked it up.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys - I showed it to the missus and I don't think she was as impressed as I was  :-\

When you don't follow all the little details built into a project, the end result always looks less impressive. But even so, a clean-looking final build is a good thing, it means all the details blend in with the whole to the point that you don't see them anymore.

Yvan256 - the LEDS will be under the overlay. What looks like screwheads are just the drill markings I used to position the holes for the LEDS. When the CPO is printed it will be flat white which glows red when lit.

Ah, that's exactly what I thought. I once did tests with really bright white LEDs and it showed even through a totally black area of something printed on commercial photo paper. Since you're going for a black and white theme, how about testing with white LEDs instead of red and only a white circle outline on the control panel, instead of a filled circle?

A couple of close ups here should give you a better idea:
A final shot showing the whole single player panel

It looks impressive even with the temporary artwork. I really like how everything is spaced evenly and nothing looks out of place. The directional arrows are a really nice touch too. However one thing that jumps at me is that one of the primary control is black instead of white. I'm not sure where you could get a white spinner, though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:36:47 pm by Yvan256 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »
That overlay looks sick!  I love the LED's and the artwork seems to line up perfectly with your controls--especially the buttons.  Nice work!   :applaud:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
Very tidy. Fine eye for design... :)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:35 pm »
Hi yvan. When I had the idea for the leds I was sure someone must have tried it before but didn't see any examples which made me wonder if there was a fundamental problem with the concept. What made you abandon the idea?