Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Frontend?  (Read 44935 times)

raygun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2016, 12:24:03 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Star Wars Frontend?
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2014, 01:43:45 am »
I could just imagine using a spinner or stick to nav left and right, with the current logo zooming off screen in the opposite direction and the new logo zooming in from the navigated- to direction. Not trying to make more work. I love where you guys are going here!

So I took a stab at this and I like the results a lot better than what I had before...  nothing too crazy, just a smooth move from left to right that is coordinated with the starfield motion.  thanks for the suggestion.  Here's where I'm at now with the layout:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9bDWtWmD2DOHFDMzQ5YnRtbGtYMUV2SjBJWEQtV2RKcjUw/edit?usp=sharing

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:35 am »
Nice work!  :applaud:

I think I'm going to have to build a star wars cab just to run the front end!

rockyrocket

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
Slightly off topic, but is anyone else starting to get excited about star citizen?.
I know I am -  and $43m raised in funding would suggest others are too.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2014, 05:53:16 am »
Not sure if this new freelancer mod is cab friendly, but it is the right genre....
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow/downloads

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:58 am »
I should be able to start moving fwd on my Idle Fingers build again this week, finally have the time to get the computer all setup so I'll do that...which means I might actually get the FE polished off and maybe even a gamelist completed soon for upload.  My apologies for those that have been waiting for an updated packet on this, I'll get to it soonish. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2014, 11:58:56 am »
If anybody knows Java and HTLM5 and can help out or isn't a gynecologist but is willing to take a look as the old joke goes please mosey on over to Arximidis' HTML5 FE thread where we're working on Joystick integration.  This is the last piece of the puzzle to get the FE ready for prime time. 

Arximidis has added a lot of great features to the build and if you checked it out in a while you definitely should.

There are a lot of features not shown in this video - HTML5FE also does game lists so you can have MAME as a main icon and the a popup menu will appear with video preview and all kinds of other stuff available.  One can configure the carousel however you need and orient it however you need or you don't even need a carousel, you can do a floating cube. 

Like any FE there is a bit of a learning curve but HTML5FE is simple and integrating new games and new menus is very easy.  You can launch exes and bats directly or go into menus and have multiple instances of the same emulator.  I don't think there is a "tree" yet so you one could do a carousel of emulators and then do a carousel of genres within that but probably because nobody has asked arximidis to do it.  I've been focused on my requirements and he has been very receptive to all the requests.   

Get it here:  http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Catalog/games/HTMLFrontEndEN.htm

If you have IE10 or higher (not that you would ever browse with it but the FE uses it as a plugin) use HTMLFEv3.0
If you don't you'll need the QT version HTMLFEQTv3.1 and the dependencies and videolan

You also have to download the default HTML theme and build from that.  It's the same for both versions.  Link just below the version lists on Arximidis' download page.     

The FE is scalable.  All the snaps I have done so far are 640x480 and if you want your carousel to look and behave like the one in the video here are my settings.  There is more than one way to skin this cat but this works very well. 

Attached below are all the snaps I have done so far - at least I think that's all of them.  A few aren't great but overall it's a good effort.  Snaps are the 27 snaps I've done.  If you need one that isn't listed let me know and I'll help out.  Of course if you're a DIY type and don't like bothering me because you think I'm too busy or not nice or something SW FE Snaps is the .psd document I did everything on.  You'll need to hunt for fonts but other than that it'll get you going. 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2020, 03:52:48 am
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2014, 01:41:47 pm »
Nice!!!

The tree feature is a good idea  ;)

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2015, 05:37:11 pm
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2014, 03:23:30 am »
Le Chuck, any chance you could post the HTML files and MAME setting.ini file you are using?  I've installed the HTMLFE, but am only having limited success with it.   Thanks!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:41 am »
Le Chuck, any chance you could post the HTML files and MAME setting.ini file you are using?  I've installed the HTMLFE, but am only having limited success with it.   Thanks!

Yes, I'll put together a small package as an example set that should work.  You'll just have to either adjust file structure in the settings or mirror your file structure to match.  Give me a few days and I'll get it up. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »
Okay, I tried to package the full thing - minus the QT dependencies for a simple upload but couldn't get it quite small enough but this will work to illustrate.
Attention:  This uses the HTML5FE v.4.11 and v.4.5 theme.  If you try this with other versions it will probably work but I make no promises. 
Attention:  If your file structure is different than mine (prolly is) adjust as necessary. 

Attached you will find the rar'd "emulators" folder that goes in the default640x480 folder of the theme file from arximidis' site.  Unpack and replace the stock emulator with this one. 

Attached you will find the FE's settings.ini (rar;d); unpack and replace the stock with this one. 

When you open the FE go to the menu and into the settings and set yours as mine are shown in the post four up from this one. 

What I did is give you MAME three ways. 

1) MAME:  Mame is set as an emulator and when selected will open a list of the available roms and show snaps on the side.  If you want to have game names rather than just a rom list you can use the .xml function but I find this to be buggy.  You can also format your own list I'm sure but I haven't gotten into that.  Basically what you have here is your standard list of roms. 

2) SW:  This calls the starwars rom directly from another version of mame in a different folder.  Rather than going into a menu it will launch directly.  (rom and version of mame not included)

3) ESB:  This calls a batch file that will run ESB rom directly.  Allows you to customize the launch code to suit advanced user needs.  (batch not included)

With those three examples you can/should be able to launch anything.  Lists of Batch files by genre set up as "emulators" with mixed systems in a single list.  No sub lists and just a big revolving door of direct launching games across multiple platforms.  Multiple instances of mame in a single list.  Multiple genres of MAME all as separate menus. 

No tree function yet (list w/in a list) but that's coming.  Also, there are a lot of functions not explored in my files, like launching an intro vid for each emulator, unique selection sounds and music for each emulator, yada yada yada. 

Hope this helps ;)

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:59 am »

With all the develompent I forgot to write a simple tutorial. To be fair I had written one but a lot things have changed since then

The general idea is this:
Each entry of the carousel is a directory inside emulators directory of default640x480. Inside you place a png image with excactly the same name with the directory (be carefull with lowercase and uppercase at least for Linux). Also place picture with the name marquee.png. This will be the title displayed when you rotate the carousel. Last but not least place a settings.ini file. In this file you write all the settings of whta the FE must do when selecting an item (emulator) of the carousel

An example:
Suppose we installed mame to the directory C:/mame. We copied all the roms to C:/mame/roms, all the image previews to C:/mame/snaps and all the video previews to c:/mame/videos

Step 1
Go to emulatros directory of default640x480 theme. Create a directory with the name, lets say MAME. Inside this directory place a png image with the name MAME.png. This image will be displayed on the carousel. Also place an image with the name marquee.png. This will be the title displayed when we rotate the carousel to our new emulator

Now go to the main settings.ini file (this is the file which came along with the main executable, HTMLFrontEnd.exe). Go to the [ALLOWED PROGRAMS] section and add an entry with exactly the same name with the directory you just created. For our example we add an entry with the name MAME. Then write the full path of the main executable of the emulator, like the following
Code: [Select]
MAME = C:/mame/mame.exeIf you use mame64 you must write
MAME = C:/mame/mame64.exe and so on

Step 2
Go to the directory of the emulator you created and create a settings.ini file. Open the file and write the following

[SETTINGS]
ROM = {FILE}
ROMPATH = C:/mame/roms/
ROMEXT = *.zip
COMMAND = \"{rom}\"
WAIT = yes
ROMSNAPS = C:/mame/snaps/
ROMINTROS = C:/mame/videos/

Explanation:
The first command
ROM = {FILE} tells to the FE that we like to list all the files with the ROMEXT extention, inside ROMPATH directory

With the command
ROMPATH = C:/mame/roms/ you provide the full path of roms directory. Meaning where the roms are located. Attention: Don't forget the last /

The command
ROMEXT = *.zip tells the FE to search and list only the files with the extention zip (don't forget the *)

Now, The command
COMMAND = \"{rom}\" tells the FE what parameters to provide to the emulator. In this case the FE will replace the {rom} prefix with the actual selected game from the list. So, if for example we select 1942, then FE will run the emulator with the following parameters

mame.exe "1042.zip" (Note: it will include the rompath too)

Nottice the double quotes. If we had written COMMAND = {rom} the double quotes would have not be included. Sometimes double quotes are importand especially in Windows

If we want to provide more parameters we separate them with a comma
For example to tell to dosbox to run in fullscreen mode we must provide the -fullscreen parameter and to exit when close the game we must provide the -exit parameter. In this case we must write in our settings.ini file
COMMAND = {rom},-exit,-fullscreen  (for DOSBox)

The next command
WAIT = yes tells to the FE to wait until we close the emulator (finish playing the game)

The last two commands are providing the full paths of the image previews (ROMSNAPS) and the video previews (ROMINTROS)
Notiice that image previews must have the extention .png and video previews the extention .mp4 (this is due to the fact we use html5 to play video in the Linux version, but in the feature I will add an option to select between avi and mp4)

That's it!
We are done with our firt emulator setup.

When you download the default640x480 theme you will nottice that there are some emulators already fixed. This is to help you out. You need to change only the paths

Now there are more things to tell about the settings as there are more options
But I will discuss those in a new post or edit this one
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:25:02 am by arximidis »

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2014, 04:00:55 am »
(continue)

As I said, if we want to list all the zip files inside a directory (all our roms), we must write the following to the settings.ini file of our newly created directory

ROM = {FILE}
ROMEXT = *.zip

The previous commands tell to the FE to list all the files with the extention ROMEXT inside the directory ROMPATH

The problem with these settings is that we will see the actual rom names in the list and not the game titles.
However, there is a way to list the game titles (instead of the rom names) if we privide an XML or an INI file list

Reading game tiltes form XML or INI lists
We can get the XML list directly from mame (I think you must run mame from command promt with this parameter: mame -listxml)
XML lists are slower to load (at least the first time).
INI lists are way faster and you can have categories (eg. favorites, action etc)
However, for now, I don't provide an automated procedure to convert an XML list to INI list (but in the feature I will)

Suppose we run the command and created the xml list with the name gamelist.xml
In order to tell to the FE to load this xml list, we must provide the full path. So we write (for our example)

ROM = {XML}
ROMEXT = *.zip
ROMLIST = C:/mame/gamelist.xml

We added a new command and we changed ROM from {FILE} to {XML}. The command ROM={XML} tells that we want to load an xml list
The new command ROMLIST = C:/mame/gamelist.xml provides the full path where we saved our game list

Things are not so different for INI lists. If, for example, we have an ini list with the name custom.ini, we must write the following commands in order to load it with the frontend

ROM = {INI}
ROMEXT = *.zip
ROMLIST = C:/mame/custom.ini

Notice, that we changed ROM = {XML} to ROM={INI} and chanded the full path of the list
ROMLIST = C:/mame/custom.ini  (if we saved it under C:/mame)

The INI file structure gives you the ability to create categories (action games, adventure, favorites etc).
For that I have attached an example of an INI file list
In this list you see that each section is a category. Under the section we write the actual rom names (without the extention).
In this example INI file list, I haven't
If we want to see the game tiltes in the list (and not the rom names), we must provide the title for each rom separately like this
1942 = 1942
ddragon = Double Dragon

and so on

In the attachment, I have not included the game titles.
Writting the INI list from scratch may be a difficult task. However, as I said before, in the future I will provide an automated procedure to convert an XML list to an INI list.
Also I will include tools to create categories (for the INI file lists) inside the interface of the FrontEnd

There are couple more settings you can do (especially for emulators like DOSBox) and other settings that gives you the ability to change the default sound effects and so on, but I will discuss them in a new post
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:14:01 am by arximidis »

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2014, 05:48:04 pm »
Great Stuff guys! Thanks! I've got it all working, now just a matter of tweaking.

I know there are multiple threads on here about it, but could you point me in the right direction to set it up so it autoboots to HTMLFE?  Thanks!

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:32 am »
Great Stuff guys! Thanks! I've got it all working, now just a matter of tweaking.

I know there are multiple threads on here about it, but could you point me in the right direction to set it up so it autoboots to HTMLFE?  Thanks!

Create a link of the main executable file (HTMLFrontEnd.exe) and drag it to windows startup directory (in the windows start menu)

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2014, 03:29:57 am »
Any luck in getting the joystick to control the selections in HTMLFE?  About to put the cabinet together, and not sure if I should stick with HTMLFE or not.. I don't want to have extra buttons just to make game selections...

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:13 am »
Any luck in getting the joystick to control the selections in HTMLFE?  About to put the cabinet together, and not sure if I should stick with HTMLFE or not.. I don't want to have extra buttons just to make game selections...

As far as I know there is a javascript library to enable gamapad/joystick support. I haven't test it yet (I don't have a joystick) but it looks like it is supported.
You can try it out but you will have to write some code (there are examples on how to use)
http://www.gamepadjs.com/

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »
If you are happy to fudge some extra inputs onto your cab, then Elite Dangerous can definitely be added to the list...

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:07 pm »
If you are happy to fudge some extra inputs onto your cab, then Elite Dangerous can definitely be added to the list...

*shazzle*

Do you have a link to your left handed gadget?

Are you part of the EDC (Elite Dangerous Community) on facebook?  People are posting pics of their set ups lately.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:25 pm
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2014, 11:30:02 pm »

*shazzle*

Do you have a link to your left handed gadget?

Are you part of the EDC (Elite Dangerous Community) on facebook?  People are posting pics of their set ups lately.

Thats a Razer Nostromo (out of production - thats also the 2nd version of the thing, the original was made by Belkin before Razer got involved)

The replacement is this:  http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

And alternative is the Logitech G13 - http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:31:38 pm by Fursphere »

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2014, 02:18:34 am »
Hi Eric, no sorry - my plan is to go my whole life without ever posting on facebook, I do though have a bogus account for stalking browsing pages.
I am now though on the elite forums along with a familiar face or two from here.

Yep as fursphere pointed out it is the old nostromo and it is great, but the new ones look to have better thumb joypads.

Also this cab is only running an AMD athlon 6000+ and a GT730 so you do not need high specs by any means.
Now just roll on the the 16th for the full release :) .

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2014, 10:32:24 am »
Made some snaps for Elite and Strike suit zero if anyone needs them...

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2014, 12:50:40 am »

I've the Belkin nostromo n50 hiding in a box somewhere, now i've got to find it and make my hydra yoke functional.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2014, 01:37:06 am »
I've the Belkin nostromo n50 hiding in a box somewhere, now i've got to find it and make my hydra yoke functional.

Go for it!, I need more time to decide but feel that the yoke may be more accurate than my HOTAS?.
Thinking I will restore this other yoke and make a controller to try out this yoke/X52 pro combo.

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:47 am »

Hello

OK, I bought a gamepad and I have already tested the new code. It works, but it requires a small plugin to be installed (easy procedure).
For now, I am using it as a joystic (after all a fully functional gamepad is not required inside the FrontEnd)

When I will release the new version, I will not support Windows XP, due to vlc crashes, etc.
From now on, I am supporting only the IE version which is stable. Nowdays it's easy to find (or create) a slim version of windows 7 (with internet explorer not removed).

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2014, 02:56:04 am »
OK, I bought a gamepad and I have already tested the new code. It works, but it requires a small plugin to be installed (easy procedure).

So, I got the JS file, I call it in the Setting.html file, but for the life of me I can't figure how to get HTMLFE to recognize the rotation or button presses on my yoke.   It should be the X of Joystick 1 and Button 1 & 2.

Can you help out Arxmidis?

Also, construction of my replica cabinet has FINALLY started!

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:19 pm »

So, I got the JS file, I call it in the Setting.html file, but for the life of me I can't figure how to get HTMLFE to recognize the rotation or button presses on my yoke.   It should be the X of Joystick 1 and Button 1 & 2.

Can you help out Arxmidis?

The version you have, doesn't support joystics
The new upcoming version does!

Are you planning to use windows XP or Windows 7?
The new version runs perfectly on Windows 7.
You can run it on Windows XP too, but you will "loose" all the html5 stuff and the css animations

I am using a light (slim) version of Windows 7 for my cab, with internet explorer not removed

PS: By the way. Nice CAB!!!  :applaud:

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
construction of my replica cabinet has FINALLY started!

Please consider posting a thread for your cabinet in the Project Announcements subforum.

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »
Arximidis, how can I get my hands on the new build??   8)

I'm running full Windows 7 at the moment.  (How did you get yours "slim"?) 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:03 pm »
There are tools for that, like vLite for windows 7 and RT seven Lite
Also you can find versions from sites your are not suppose to download  :P

The importand thing is not to remove internet explorer. When I was searching I had found slim versions with internet explorer included
However, I recommend to use your legal copy and try to create a slim version yourself. There are tutorials on the internet on how to do it

PS. The new version is not completed yet, but it is possible to upload it uncompleted for testing.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:21:13 pm by arximidis »

kaptaink_cg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2014, 12:17:17 pm »
Thanks for the info! I'll get on it.

PS. The new version is not completed yet, but it is possible to uploaded uncompleted for testing.

I'm -trying- to get my cabinet functional by NYE, so yeah, I'd love to do some testing for you!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2015, 01:27:30 pm »
I'm nothing if not punctual....

So about a year after Raygun posted his take on this FE (many posts above) I finally got around to installing it and now have it as the dedicated FE on my cab. 

The short and sweet - Attract-Mode FE might be the easiest implementation of the "SW FE" out of the box. 

I think arximidis has a great build but it has been somewhat temperamental with some of my systems and the most recent version I can no longer use unless I want to install a new OS.  So I finally sat down and began to teach myself about Attract-Mode and didn't really get far into learning it because I was up and running so quickly. 

So if you want to try this go download Attract-Mode from: http://attractmode.org/download.html
Then download the Warp layout (read skin for you older FE'rs) from: https://github.com/mickelson/attract-extra (click dl zip in the lower right)

Then open that zip and copy the Warp folder out of layouts and drop it in the layouts folder in the freshest Attract-Mode FE you just downloaded. 
If you want any sounds drop them into the "sounds" folder - you'll assign them in the FE tab menu. 

Open the FE and hit tab.  Set the display as Warp and point the emulators at the snaps and files you want to run.  Set sounds.  Set the controls (Attract-Mode read my kade+ out of the box) and you're done.  Stupid simple.  I have all my stuff running from a folder full of batch files and only the "windows programs" emulator setup since it looks for *.bat or *.lnk.  I guess you could build out your own and set that up but I didn't have to.  I didn't have the learn squirrel or anything crazy, just about 5 minutes worth of fiddling and I was done.

Issues:
I can't get the snaps to slide of the the left and right as I navigate, they just fade in and out, even if I have the layout set to "navigate" instead of "fade" but maybe Raygun can take another look and square that up. 

Once I sit down and learn squirrel I'll figure out how to add in some gifs so I can have the instructions floating and flashing along the bottom but again, not a big deal.  That's not an issues so much as just on my todo list since I know the FE can do it. 

So if you're still looking for a good SW FE I'd recommend Attract-Mode.  It answers the mail and then sum.  Sorry I didn't try this out a year ago-ish but remember, I'm nothing if not punctual.  ;)

raygun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2016, 12:24:03 am
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2015, 01:22:27 am »
Issues:
I can't get the snaps to slide of the the left and right as I navigate, they just fade in and out, even if I have the layout set to "navigate" instead of "fade" but maybe Raygun can take another look and square that up. 

Hey Le Chuck,

Getting the navigate effect working is a bit wonky, but here is what you have to do:

- Go into the layout options screen (Config->Displays->[name of display]->Layout Options) and map the Up, Down, Left and Right controls there to your analog joystick (just select Up and then push up on the joystick, etc.).  Also make the switch from 'fade' to 'navigate' while you are on this screen.
- Next go to the controls screen (Config->Controls) and make sure that the joystick you just mapped for the layout is *not* mapped for the up/down controls there (which will override the navigate effect) A warning though: make sure you have something else mapped to up/down before you remove the joystick mapping, so you can still navigate through config mode!

After you do this your joystick should be controlling the starfield effect and as you steer left/right the snaps for the games should drift on/off the screen.  Hopefully that all makes sense.

Cheers

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »
Issues:

Hey Le Chuck,

Getting the navigate effect working is a bit wonky, but here is what you have to do:

- Go into the layout options screen (Config->Displays->[name of display]->Layout Options) and map the Up, Down, Left and Right controls there to your analog joystick (just select Up and then push up on the joystick, etc.).  Also make the switch from 'fade' to 'navigate' while you are on this screen.
- Next go to the controls screen (Config->Controls) and make sure that the joystick you just mapped for the layout is *not* mapped for the up/down controls there (which will override the navigate effect) A warning though: make sure you have something else mapped to up/down before you remove the joystick mapping, so you can still navigate through config mode!

After you do this your joystick should be controlling the starfield effect and as you steer left/right the snaps for the games should drift on/off the screen.  Hopefully that all makes sense.

Cheers

Worked great!  This FE rocks man!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2016, 11:06:03 am »
Long time no update!

Was complaining about something in another thread and yoke games came up, which made me realize I hadn't updated anything over here in a long time. 

So over the last year I've tried a number of games and have whittled down the list a fair amount, so this won't be a list of all yoke compatible games.  Instead, this will be a list of guest/kid friendly yoke games that have worked out for me.  A lot of games didn't last because they took too long to get into, weren't fun in short bursts, didn't have replay, needed too much explanation of what to do or how to do it, felt redundant, etc.  While Freespace is awesome of what it is, it does hit on a lot of those things.  Ditto a ton of other games.  That said, I've uploaded my current batch of transparent snaps made for use with Attract-Mode FE's Warp Layout (includes a lot of games not listed here, for your use). 

So here's my list and why its a keeper for me - and if you've got any recommendations let me hear them.  Love adding new content!

After Burner - a surprising fav of guests and kids with them routinely playing through multiple levels
Cyber Sled - personal fav, recent add.  More for me than anyone else
ESB - Completeness, people expect to see it but no one plays it.
Mobile Suite Gundam Final Assault - Space themed rail shooter where you start flying in the second-ish level.  Good ish
Galaxy Force II - Fun space rail shooter with good level variety.
Gun Buster - Unique movement mechanic that works really well with the yoke
Hydro Thunder - Played every time the machine is on by anyone playing.  Often times the only game on during a party
Jurassic Park - kids. love. it.  Want to get the sequel working but it's more light gunny so probably not the best choice. 
Mario Kart GP2 - the other fan favorite, fills that cart racer itch
Night Striker - recent addition, kids enjoy it, good variety, might not last
Paperboy - Those that remember it love it, those that don't skip it.
Prop Cycle - Got it running full speed, audio glitches a bit.  Works great with a yoke and is a nice change of pace
ROTJ - completeness and a personal fav.  I really enjoy this much hated gem.
Space Harrier - Really really want to upgrade to the Planet Harriers on Demul Hakiru, just can't get it working right.  This is a good unique game tho.
Solar Assault - Wow.  Needs no reason. If you can get it running full speed it's a must have. 
STUN Runner - Surprisingly in the top five for most played games.  Everybody remembers it and likes it.
Star Blade - Good wow factor, really works with the theme and feel
Star Wars - Completeness.  Nobody plays it for more than a level but me.  People usually jump in and then out after the first DS if they even make it that far. 
Star Wars Racer Revenge - PS2 version, better than the PC SWR, a few menus to jump through with either and this has better graphics and gameplay.
T2 - The other kids love it gotta have it game.
Star Wars Trilogy - Second most played game after Hydro Thunder.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:53:28 am by Le Chuck »

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:20:45 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2016, 05:43:41 pm »
Thanks Le Chuck for posting this as its been very helpful in getting my Multi Yoke Hydra going.  I might have a few more games e.g. Spy Hunter that would work than your build as my Hydra comes with a pedal and two Boost buttons that I wired as separate buttons.  Any more game suggestions?

The only quirk I have with Attract Mode is that when I scroll in the next game, if I bring it all the way to the center, then it will load the previous game even though you can't see the snap of the previous game. Do notice your users having this same question.

Onto getting Star Wars trilogy working with the analog Yoke in Supermodel and finding all of the MP2s!

bx_001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2017, 08:18:56 pm
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:15 pm »
Where did you get that picture (Starfighter cabinet). Is there a company/person selling cabinet kits?

bx_001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2017, 08:18:56 pm
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2017, 08:23:01 pm »
A "last starfighter" cab clone has always appealed to me also, and you know that feeling you get when you are talking yourself into something expensive  :banghead: .

As much as I love that movie (my gameroom and first MAME cab is named Starfighter), the SF cab in the movie is kinda ugly. It's an awkward design, although my 11 year old self would probably love the exact one.  :cheers:
For me the large size makes the shape seem worse than it could be.
 I am running out of space so a scaled down version with alternate controls and paint scheme am what I am thinking.
Originally a bartop was considered as it looks to me like an overgrown bartop on a pedestal, but I do really like the nude cab shape in this photo.

Where did you get that picture (Starfighter cabinet). Is there a company/person selling cabinet kits?

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2020, 04:08:49 pm »
Went down the internet rabbit hole today looking for ROMs that would work on a Paperboy cab (handlebars are really a modded yoke) and stumbled on this thread. I've been reading it and the companion build thread for about an hour now (with side google searches to watch video game clips to go down memory lane).

This thread got my brain going. My wife bought me a Star Wars Arcade1up (I know, purists, death to A1up) for Christmas last year, but made me promise not to mod it. However, we know that promises are made to be broken, apologies are easier than permission and if I do it on the down-low and smooth enough there won't be any complaints when it's unveiled.

What I'm seeing is that the FE for this is Maximus Arcade with Le Chuck's custom overlays, videos, snaps etc, correct?

Also, is Maximus Arcade a pay-for software? I swear I have a 'free copy' somewhere that came with....something I bought.

Lastly, has anyone attempted with an Arcade1up's yoke?