Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Goonies Arcade Build *Completed* with bezel artwork  (Read 30868 times)

brucelee00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm
The Goonies Arcade Build *Completed* with bezel artwork
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »
Hey, you guys! :)

I just wanted to start off by saying I have been a member of the forums for a couple years now,
mostly a lurker... researching, learning, and watching everyone's amazing builds! I am very new to woodworking with only recently
building a pedestal cabinet with a buddy of mine. I'll have to post that build sometime in a new thread. I've always been interested
in woodworking and working with my hands so arcade building as a hobby is my outlet. I also want to give a huge Thank You! to
Knievel, and everyone on the forums who has helped me directly through email and just documenting their awesome builds so thoroughly
that it's giving a beginner like be a great foundation to start building.

The Goonies Cabinet design is a combination of the Famed Woody by Knievel, The Magneto Cabinet by edekoning, and Maximus Revolution Control Panel.
Here are some Google SketchUp Images of the design; it will house a 24" monitor. Side note: I am not the greatest with SketchUP, but have been learning so the only thing
that is not actually going in the final build is the CP since I had a hard time making it in SketchUp.

I did have the CP printed by Brad aka Lucian045 here on the forums and at the Hyperspin forums so big shout out to Brad for his services
the prints I have had done are awesome! and he was pleasure to work with. In fact, I will be using him to print out the rest of the graphics for
this build and any future builds.

Here is some ideas of what I am thinking of doing for the side art I hae a lot of ideas, but would like to incorporate this artwork into the side art
along with anything I come up with or anything you guys suggest???

T-molding and colors of the cab that won't be covered in graphics haven't been decided yet so I am open to everyone's input.

I will try to post what I can on the details of this build so stay tuned! and Thank you for your interest in this build.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:06:46 am by brucelee00 »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: The Goonies Arcade Build
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:04 pm »
Subb'd.

I love the acknowledgements.  Nice to see props given they way you've done.  Also kinda fun picking out the design bits that go with each lineage.

:cheers:

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:29 pm »
great build plans so far. Funny thing is, there is a goonies discussion thread on the forums going on right now

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137071.msg1415555.html

swaffar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:24:43 am »
You'll have to change the Windows startup sound to a sample of "Heeyyy yooooou guuuyyyyyssssss!"
My projects:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:17:23 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:40 am »
I guess you're going with Hyperspin as the frontend? If not, there's already a pretty snazzy Goonies theme available for GameEx:

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:20 am »
 :applaud:

Subscribed. Looking forward to your progress.
Take plenty of pics along the way.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:34 am »
Get some samples of t-molding to test it out when you get to that point. But, I'll bet gold would fit great with the theme.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

seanr28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 07:47:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:17:32 pm »
looking great, will keep an eye on its porgress

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 08:01:18 am »
For the sideart- I suggest moving the Goonie groupshot higher up. Judging from the controlpanel, you seem to have coins, jewelry graphics that could cover up the bottom part.
Otherwise a nice theme!

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:46:24 pm »
Thank you everyone for all the comments appreciate any and all feedback :) My apologies for getting back to this thread so late. The build progress has been slow due to weather and being fairly new to woodworking so lots of the thinking, trial and error and a lot of redoing, but will post pics as I remember to take them :) @emphatic I've never thought of using gameex, but I might as that theme is very fitting :) I did have a question for everyone I am wanting to do RGBs and am considering doing translucent IL as oppose to the milky white ones what are your guys thoughts ?

Here are some random photos of the CP Work
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:59:30 pm by brucelee00 »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:51:59 pm »
Thank you everyone for all the comments appreciate any and all feedback :) My apologies for getting back to this thread so late. The build progress has been slow due to weather and being fairly new to woodworking so lots of the thinking, trial and error and a lot of redoing, but will post pics as I remember to take them :) @emphatic I've never thought of using gameex, but I might as that theme is very fitting :) I did have a question for everyone I am wanting to do RGBs and am considering doing translucent IL as oppose to the milky white ones what are your guys thoughts ?

Buy one of each and test it

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »

I do have one of each  :cheers:, I guess I should wait till I apply the art to the CP just curious what the thoughts were out there  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:09:37 pm by brucelee00 »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »

I do have one of each  :cheers:, I guess I should wait till I apply the art to the CP just curious what the thoughts were out there  :)
I have clear translucent IL pushbuttons and the milky white one from groovygamer
I suspect the translucent buttons will yield the results i'm looking for.  To be fair, I have yet to light up either though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:32:02 pm by Generic Eric »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:45 am »
Extremely jealous that your drill press is deep enough to do a CP.  I've only got a little benchtop drill press and max depth is about 5".  :hissy:

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:07:53 pm »
Extremely jealous that your drill press is deep enough to do a CP.  I've only got a little benchtop drill press and max depth is about 5".  :hissy:

I wish I had it in my garage too. It's actually my buddies elevator shop that he's a manager at and was lucky enough to be able to use it when I needed to  :)

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:36 am »
A little bit of progress on the CP Box had some  :banghead: moments, but managed to get through it. Will have some sanding and slight bondo work ahead  ::)

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:00:04 am »
Here is a small update on the CP build... Still need to armor the mdf, sand, prime, sand, and paint.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:19 am »
very nice control panel, On a side note You have some very nice tools, at the least I could do with some clamps like those.

wirenut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2016, 02:11:07 am
  • Rumbai, Indonesia
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:49 pm »
Looking sweet!  I'm starting a build thread next week and look forward to following this one.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:09 am »
Looking sweet!  I'm starting a build thread next week and look forward to following this one.
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with  :cheers:

very nice control panel, On a side note You have some very nice tools, at the least I could do with some clamps like those.
Thank you! The Irwin clamps are pretty good.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 04:06:26 am »
Hey guys, I need some feedback on the artwork for the bottom front of my cab and a paint color for the areas that aren't going to be covered in vinyl. I am trying to keep it somewhat simple so I did a really quick and dirty mock up of what I am thinking of doing. What are your thoughts ? 1st option of the image below is shrunk down to exact scale so there isn't any cut off, but extended the gold. Second option is kept larger, but had to layer the gold so its not exactly as it was pulled from the dvd cover. Lastly, the 3rd option is enlarged to scale to fill the full base of the cab, but obvious there will be some cut off with the coin door. I was thinking of throwing some type of wood planks texture behind the art I have or cave type structures or it can  be kept plain with just the painted cab. What are your thoughts on a dark brown paint for the areas not covered in vinyl ? Note areas most likely not covered in vinyl will be base of control panel, screen bezel(undecided, but most likely no art), and just under the marquee where the speakers are. Also, I am thinking of doing gold t-molding as someone has suggested earlier in the thread. Thanks for the feedback!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 05:08:01 am »
I like option 2 the best. Visually it creates a nice filled base.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 05:58:26 am »
I like option 2 the best. Visually it creates a nice filled base.
Agree but let the hat not touch the coin door.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 05:39:39 pm »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 06:57:47 pm »
Thank you for the input guys. I'll mess around with it a bit more just trying to think of what kinda of texture I should use behind it and for the rest of the front of the cab if any ?? @Unstupid the Festool Domino is certainly a nice tool, but a bit pricey as is all of Festools stuff...

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:52 pm »
 :dunno
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:08:46 pm by brucelee00 »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 10:57:40 pm »
Heyyy youuu guys,

Here is a rough rough rough draft of what i am thinking for the sides my photoshop skills are basic, but i converted a lot of images to the best of my ability to a drew struzan style look. The arrangement of the images are not close in anyway to final at all, but curious as to the talented or general thought on what to do. In till i find a graphic artist to take on the project I'll keep chugging along. Also, thinking of putting burnt map edges all around taken from the goonies map etc... let me know what you think? Again this is a dirty rough draft and from someone with basic skills... thanks for your thoughts and opinion.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 02:19:45 am »
Here are some pictures of most of the pieces cut out for this build. I did have them cut out for a while, but failed to take some pictures. I did use the Festool Domino for most of the joinery. Just so you know this is my second build/ first upright of anything ever and had some hick ups here and there on with the speaker piece that holds the marquee, so it'll be interesting to see what I'll need to do to fix it. It's currently glued up and clamped in the garage and let me tell you the glue up with all those dominos was a pain. Not sure if I over killed it on the amount I used, but that's what it felt like each piece needed... Anyways... here's to all that it went well  :cheers: I will definitely have some bondo and some sanding work ahead to touch up a few things.

Here are the side pieces with all the joinery cut out with domino

Here is the monitor bezel front and back with a space for the light bar sensor.

Top back where venting fans will go

Front and back views of the speaker/ marquee board

Coin door

Base support

back bottom where the inlet power switch will go

back middle 2 exhaust holes for where the PC components will reside forget to take pic of the other piece that connects into it

a box full of dominos for good measure

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:22:28 am by brucelee00 »

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »
I'm not normally a big fan of the MK (aircraft carrier) consoles, but yours has challenged changed my mind

Love the artwork - definitely waiting with baited breath on your next updates :applaud:
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:52 pm »
Thank you! I'm glad I was the one to change your mind  ;D You'll be surprised though I kept the CP as compact as I could so IMO I think it fits the cab fairly well.

I'm not normally a big fan of the MK (aircraft carrier) consoles, but yours has challenged changed my mind

Love the artwork - definitely waiting with baited breath on your next updates :applaud:

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »
Things has been moving a little slowly, but here is a little update. I was thinking of doing a textured black paint for the whole screen bezel directly on the wood then everything else will be in a very dark brown if I can find one in spray paint. Love to hear your thoughts on painting the exposed areas brown because I like the idea someone mentioned earlier to do gold t-molding. Thanks!

Cut the Lexan

Still have to work on the back top and bottom hinged panel doors, but here is a mock up before I prime it

First layer of primer not sure how many I'll do since most of the arcade will be covered in vinyl.

Side profile with the CP on

Another photo with the CP for mock up

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:35:10 pm by brucelee00 »

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »
I definitely like your theme!

Here is a sign that is in front of goonie house in Astoria, Oregon

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
Here is the house (cropped to remove my daughter from pic)

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:30 am »
@heyyouguys awesome pictures I hope I can visit there one day :)

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 01:28:59 am »
I applied the cp artwork today and put the t molding on and now I'm wondering if I should go clear buttons or the milky white buttons for RGB buttons ? Thanks!

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:29:36 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 02:22:42 am »
I'd use the white ones, as the cp art is already colorful enough. IMHO the clear ones look too dark when not lit.

monkeychunkuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 10:50:05 am
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 03:09:14 am »
Agreed go with white and if their was a way to make them look dirty I think it would match your awesome artwork !

Did you do it yourself ?

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:41 am »
I'd use the white ones, as the cp art is already colorful enough. IMHO the clear ones look too dark when not lit.

The picture isn't the greatest representation, but I see what you are saying. The friend whom which I am building this for wants to go with the clear the idea being once lit with the RGB cycling through will give it a jewels type effect. Thank you for the input.

Agreed go with white and if their was a way to make them look dirty I think it would match your awesome artwork !

Did you do it yourself ?

Thank you! The artwork was created for me with a lot of thought on what on wanted included so somewhat of a collaborative effort, but the artist did a great job.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:43:36 am by brucelee00 »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 12:20:04 am »
Hey Guys! Small little update cab is pretty much painted side artwork is almost finished. Still waiting for all the buttons, and hardware to come in, but here are some pictures  :cheers:

Here is the coin door artwork a real working coin door will be in the center

And here is the marquee

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:24:11 am by brucelee00 »

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:41:55 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:40 am »
Looking great so far! Before I read the comment about using the translucent buttons, I was thinking in my head that, when lit, they'd look like sparkling gems, so, for what it's worth, I'd vote for translucent. Sure, they might be a little dark when unlit, but with an attract mode or when playing, they'll look awesome, I'd think. /$.02