Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch announces closure!  (Read 28239 times)

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Megatouch announces closure!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »
well anyone thinking this was not comming has there hand in the sand box..
be nice when they give up support for the ion's
i have been after there key for a byte now.
i know it can not be any harder then the x/l
expect the tripple hash >there u go mackeymike<
and i can wait until the support ends >31/12/2014<,
then the fun begins

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:48:12 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 01:30:03 am »
then the fun begins

ed

ed, Already bypassed the hardware checks on the install discs. Anyone that wants to get the OS (centos) installed on any PC let me know. Currently In the process of breaking down the "USBIO::ReadDS1995KeyData" and "USBIO::ReadDS1995KeyDataWithV40FailOver" function within the main binary.  :cheers:  >:D

BTW, the file your looking for in disc 1 iso is "initrd" extract "initrd~" and use 7zip to extract the files. Your looking for "/usr/local/lib/libinstaller.so" have fun!

Look for function "installer::setup"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:50:45 am by mahkeymike »

dddirtman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2014, 04:38:42 pm
  • juke tech
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 04:35:52 pm »
ami should support the ion builds for a while ,many of them are used as remote selectors for the amijukeboxes...

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 02:08:13 am »
As much as i would love for someone to post a hacked binary for the ions, dddrtman is right. Everyone should hold off posting about hacking the ion software until ami/merit officially drops their support and/or move on.

You can still purchase kits for these systems, this can potentially have them find out and have the board shut down.

Old megatouch xl and force is likely fine to talk about as they haven't been supported for several years now.

Lets bide our time and hold our cards close. Once support for the ion system has officially been ended, then we can play our hand and revisit hacking the software. Until then...zzzzziiiiippppp!

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:03 am »
As much as i would love for someone to post a hacked binary for the ions, dddrtman is right. Everyone should hold off posting about hacking the ion software until ami/merit officially drops their support and/or move on.

You can still purchase kits for these systems, this can potentially have them find out and have the board shut down.

Old megatouch xl and force is likely fine to talk about as they haven't been supported for several years now.

Lets bide our time and hold our cards close. Once support for the ion system has officially been ended, then we can play our hand and revisit hacking the software. Until then...zzzzziiiiippppp!

Nobody is either capable, or interested in hacking it. In this entire forum section, in various threads, i mentioned soo many ways to bypass the security checks in place. And so far nobody has asked me anything remotely knowledgeable about it. I dont think anyone even tried the methods i mentioned. I am not posting any hacked binarys that contain copyrighted code. However, I am pretty sure its legal to post patches that do not contain copyright code. It would be up to the person interested to obtain the copyrighted code to be patched.(in this case the iso's) And those are publicly available (for now, but probably not for long).

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
Just saw this posted over at Vending Times that the final version of Megatouch has just been released:

https://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=9EFDFCDFF400491EB2BF9DD5381BDCE9

Looks like i has to be downloaded directly to the ML-1. Unless someone pulls the hard drive from one and makes a 1:1 image copy, theres no way the average user can play around with it. :badmood:

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »
yes a before and after .img is the work around

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »
Now that i think about it, anyone with a ML-1 better pull the hard drive out after it updates and make a 1:1 image copy of it because IF and WHEN that hard drive eventually dies, they are --sexytimes--. Good luck getting a replacement after 2014 year is up.

EDIT sorry, i missed this  ;D  language  :cheers:  :lol
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:05:10 pm by lilshawn »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »
moved discussion regarding the ML-1 to another thread here as this one was getting a little off track...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138908.0.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:53:21 pm by lilshawn »

M.Lanza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2015, 09:51:03 am
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »
then the fun begins

ed

Is the fun beginning yet?
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:03 pm »
i'm sure ed12 or someone will contact someone at AMI/merit and see what their stance with the product line is.

If they've abandoned it, then game on, if not... the brakes stay on.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:26 pm »
end's 01/01/15  simple sweet
game on

ed

Peja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2015, 04:48:22 pm
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2014, 03:56:46 pm »
Since I am a newb when it comes to this stuff......what exactly are we waiting for?  Once time is up, it can be imaged? 

Does that mean I can install it on my ion 2008 without a new key, or am I still stuck shopping on ebay?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:41 am »
end's 01/01/15  simple sweet
game on

ed

Since I am a newb when it comes to this stuff......what exactly are we waiting for?  Once time is up, it can be imaged? 

Does that mean I can install it on my ion 2008 without a new key, or am I still stuck shopping on ebay?

I've sent an e-mail to my contact at Megatouch LLC to get their perspective on this. I've basically asked them if they mind if someone were to hack/mod the game software to support new hardware....and if they consider the merit force/ion/ml-1 software to be "abandonware"

I'm sure they don't care if we mod the software to use new hardware. really i just proposed the question to seem less forward with asking if they now consider the megatouch software abandoned.

basically, if this is now abandonware, game on.

Once I get an answer I'll let you all know, but I'd like to get a definitive answer on this. I wouldn't like to see this place shut down and our "project" halted if someone where to start poking their nose in here and not liking what they see.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:57 am »
well i asked there legal egal's
for a pdf copy of what i have been told verbal..i like it iron clad u know,
so i await the pdf,will post when i get it,but to date they even state look to third
parties for supply's as they are drying up....
now mind my question was more along the line's of the key's
then modding there s/w >leave the old layer joke out<
ami has 0 interest..this i did get,so i await

ed

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2015, 12:52:22 am »
Judging by the Megatouch website, all they do now is games on your cell phone. No more mention of the countertop machines and no mention of tech support for the countertops. Also gone from the website are ALL THE MANUALS for the countertops as well as the software manuals.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 12:59:43 am »
yes correct ken
as i stated they :ami: have no interest in counter-top/full size game's,
but rather are following touchtune's lead in the :new-age:,thus leaving the door open
now with that siad i am un-clear on modding the s/w,but am very clear on there
key's,just want the ppw in order

ed

Peja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2015, 04:48:22 pm
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2015, 10:41:43 am »

I've sent an e-mail to my contact at Megatouch LLC to get their perspective on this. I've basically asked them if they mind if someone were to hack/mod the game software to support new hardware....and if they consider the merit force/ion/ml-1 software to be "abandonware"

I'm sure they don't care if we mod the software to use new hardware. really i just proposed the question to seem less forward with asking if they now consider the megatouch software abandoned.

basically, if this is now abandonware, game on.

Once I get an answer I'll let you all know, but I'd like to get a definitive answer on this. I wouldn't like to see this place shut down and our "project" halted if someone where to start poking their nose in here and not liking what they see.
[/quote]

Thanks for the follow up lilshawn.  Since I have nothing of value to contribute like you, ed, ken, etc.....I will just wait here patiently to hear back from you all.

Thanks guys.

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 11:52:26 am »
I am pretty sure they wont like anyone touching it. And if they still hold the copyright to the software they could try to sue anyone trying to infringe on it. What i am not sure on is what is considered infringement if someone is not profiting from it. And furthermore, what kind of damages could they try to sue for if they are not profiting from said copyrighted material. Meaning how could anyone cause them to lose money if they are not supporting or making money to begin with. This is a very iffy situation considering there track record for this kind of stuff.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »
no mike
it is game on....rowe dose not use a key >pre-say<
they are totaly ethernet bound,much like it's-gamming golden t live 2013/2014/2015
u must have the pid card module and a active account with them
to get live feed's/up-date's etc,plus if your account is not active for 28day's
the pid is black-listed....

glad your still around.

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »
I have recieved a bit of a disconcerting message back from Megatouch LLC this morning.

Mr. -lilshawn-,

Thank you for inquiring about Megatouch’s future plans regarding its hardware and software products.

While Megatouch plans to phase out its coin operated machinery manufacturing operations as announced on January 9, 2014, it will continue to support certain coin machinery in the near future. Megatouch will also continue to manufacture, modify and create new releases and versions of Megatouch’s software products for use in various applications.  As a consequence, the Megatouch software is and will continue to be actively supported by Megatouch and Megatouch’s announcement of its plans should not be construed as a release or waiver of its intellectual property rights in its software and hardware.

As you know, all uses of the Megatouch software are subject to its license conditions set forth in the end user Terms and Conditions.  You are welcome to view the Megatouch end user agreement at legacy.megatouch.com/support/manuals/manuals.php under “Terms and Conditions” of the product through which you obtained our software.  Under the license, users agree to utilize the Megatouch software subject to certain limitations including not creating derivatives, not reverse-engineering, not decompiling and not re-publishing Megatouch software.  In addition, the user recognizes Megatouch’s existing intellectual property rights in its software and hardware, including but not limited to copyrights, patent rights and trade secrets.

Megatouch therefore views any attempts by users to modify the Megatouch software to be both a material breach of the terms of its user license as well as an infringement of its intellectual property rights.  Accordingly, in the event that Megatouch concludes that its proprietary software is being hacked, patched , modified or distributed without its prior written permission, Megatouch will not hesitate to take any and all actions that it deems necessary in order to fully enforce its legal rights.

It sounds like the coin-op portion is being phased out totally, but it also it sounds as if there may be still some plans for the software in the future (goofy tablet thing they have going on or some other home based unit) and they'd like to keep their options open to use it someplace else.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 01:58:49 pm »
yes shawn
there is 2 different camp's now
1 say's we no longer support it ?
the other say's ami is going forward with some sort of support ?
so for now I am going to error on the side of safe...

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 02:19:33 pm »
yeah it seems kinda like that.

1 hand says: dropping support, get everything you can, 'cause once it's gone, that's it.

the other hand says: oh yeah, we are still going to support it.

it could be a copy paste response. I didn't really expect them to come right out and say yep, we are abandoning it, give 'er bullets. but i think now we are left with more questions than before.

I think because currently you CAN still get hardware and software, this is their stance. once the supplies dry up and you CAN'T get anymore hardware, it may change.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:22:09 pm by lilshawn »

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:53 pm »
Of course there going to tell you that. No company wants there intellectual property tampered with regardless if they plan to abandon it, or support it 10 year later. The bottom line is they still own it.

This is just a small bump in the road. They did such a ---smurfy--- job on security with Ion its not even funny. They didnt even bother to obfuscate the main binary so that bit about reversing or decompiling is a joke. Most of the hardware protections are done through scripts that are "human readable" so theres nothing to reverse or decompile. Also, they use linux which is open source so editing a few linux scripts to my knowlege is not a breach of there license terms.

Bottom line, as long as you dont touch their software that is installed on the linux OS you should be ok.
Would they try to go after you for doing so? I dont know, most likely yes. Would they lose? I suppose that depends on how good your lawyer is at proving you didnt touch the "code" they own.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 04:23:16 pm »
yes mike correct
they used open source s/w
so that part would be a no nomaier
but I just wonder about there key-code
let's say like mame we run without a key
where would legal come to play ? as we did not hack there :key:
we just by-passed the chk , this leave's it as wide open question..
imho

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 04:31:01 pm »
the Linux OS is an open source OS...

wouldn't that make it subject (somehow) to the GNU General Public Licence?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »
yes shawn
the gnu is a wide open non paid for s/w
so they hold no legal ground there..
there key is a different story , in my eye's

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »
the key really only is a hardware check that tells the software it's okay to run or not. it provides no decryption of the software i'm aware of.

it's more of an "if keynum = 3623 then run. if not then norun"

after the check at boot, the software never polls the key data again.

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:52 pm »
the key really only is a hardware check that tells the software it's okay to run or not. it provides no decryption of the software i'm aware of.

it's more of an "if keynum = 3623 then run. if not then norun"

after the check at boot, the software never polls the key data again.

It reads configuration data from the key and stores it in memory. The data on the key is country specific. One reason is default languages. And i am sure some country versions might have more or less games then other country versions and names of games may be different.

MichaelC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2020, 12:24:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 11:16:05 pm »
then the fun begins

ed

ed, Already bypassed the hardware checks on the install discs. Anyone that wants to get the OS (centos) installed on any PC let me know. Currently In the process of breaking down the "USBIO::ReadDS1995KeyData" and "USBIO::ReadDS1995KeyDataWithV40FailOver" function within the main binary.  :cheers:  >:D

BTW, the file your looking for in disc 1 iso is "initrd" extract "initrd~" and use 7zip to extract the files. Your looking for "/usr/local/lib/libinstaller.so" have fun!

Look for function "installer::setup"

mahkeymike,
How did you ever make out in analyzing those functions?

mahkeymike

• Online Online
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2016, 09:19:40 am »

mahkeymike,
How did you ever make out in analyzing those functions?

Those functions as they imply, read the key (configuration data) and place it into memory.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2016, 01:54:35 am »
This Megatouch website no longer functions:

http://legacy.megatouch.com/

Does this mean there's no longer a Megatouch company?

Is it now "game on"?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2016, 12:11:26 am »
I've been trying for a while now to try and contact ANYBODY regarding Megatouch LLC and their intellectual properties. No luck yet.

a guess a way of doing it would be to blast some hacks all over the internet and see if somebody raises a stink.
(don't actually...please don't)  :lol

Once I find out who or what or somebody gets back to me, I'll be sure to post. I want this 100% before we go ahead with anything.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2016, 12:43:42 am »
merit llpc (England)
u personally think the would come across the pond ?
remember there is a dif country code for each machine
ie (key code) and software
example here sa3022- (33) = Canada
example here sa32022-00 = usa
and so forth

ed

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »
I've been trying for a while now to try and contact ANYBODY regarding Megatouch LLC and their intellectual properties. No luck yet.

a guess a way of doing it would be to blast some hacks all over the internet and see if somebody raises a stink.
(don't actually...please don't)  :lol

Once I find out who or what or somebody gets back to me, I'll be sure to post. I want this 100% before we go ahead with anything.

Any word yet?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »
i've been getting nothing from everybody. (including trying to obtain updated firmware for some bill acceptors.)

not a peep. nobody will talk to me.