Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: M2emulator 1.1 released!!  (Read 16743 times)

Nuexzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
M2emulator 1.1 released!!
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »
v1.1
- Fixed sound output only outputting mono audio
- Added customizable pixel shader for texture replacement (see model2lua.txt)
- Fixed Emulator->Exit not saving configuration
- The emulator will now try to use pixel shader 2.0 when pixel shader 3.0 is unavailable
- Added Full screen antialiasing (fsaa=1 in emulator.ini)
- Fixed some 3D errors in dynamite cop causing low res textures to be used
- Fixed texture replacement when two textures share the same tag data

v1.1a
Usual "a" release fixing bugs.

- Added back the game options that were removed in the previous version due to compilation issues (Cheats & options, dump texture cache, reload LUA script)
- Fixed texture replacement that was also removed.
- Diferent alpha filtering code that should improve the extra lines in some textures.

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:39:56 pm by Nuexzz »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
Re: M2emulator 1.1 released!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
Sweet. Going to give it a test run. Thanks!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:11:34 am »
Someone PMed me about this so I'll just post it publically..... I don't have a clue if TS2 will work with this or not... probably not.  The only reason I made TS2 was because I was fairly certain that it was the final release of M2.  So if anyone wants to test that (someone who can already run TS2 properly please) post your results here.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:24:51 am »
I just tried it... it doesn't seem to work, on anything.... the memory locations have changed.  TS2 could be made to work with it, but all the memory locations would have to be found again... so yeah if you want those features just use 1.0 for the time being.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:01:34 am »
Wow, never thought there would be another update. MAYBE we'll get native support for multiple mice/joystick.

Wade007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2017, 01:33:35 pm
  • A MAME cabinet at home is heaven
    • bit.ly/1cWnoIC
    • Cheapskategamer.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
Version 1.1a was just released. I was looking through the EMULATOR.INI file that came with the download and found something interesting regarding raw input and multiple mice. See found code below from the text EMULATOR.INI file. Not sure if this is a new addition to the emulator but could this be the support we needed for dual lightguns to work?

Code: [Select]
[Input]
XInput=0 ;Enable support for Xbox360 compatible devices
EnableFF=0 ;Enable Force Feedback Effects
HoldGears=0 ;Set to 1 to return to Neutral in driving games when the gear shift key is released
UseRawInput=0 ;Read mouse through Rawinput, allowing 2 mice
RawDevP1=0 ;Assign specific RawInput devices to players. If you have more than 2 mice
RawDevP2=1 ;set which one is assigned to each player (0-based)
My Super Arcade cabinet project:
Software blog article: http://bit.ly/1cWnoIC

Hardware blog article: http://bit.ly/1dWxjvP

YouTube video: http://bit.ly/1N818Xm

Super Arcade Cabinet Progress thread (Now Complete):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,123292.0.html

Frontend Video Intro: http://bit.ly/1P9HPDN

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 02:06:07 pm »
Version 1.1a was just released. I was looking through the EMULATOR.INI file that came with the download and found something interesting regarding raw input and multiple mice. See found code below from the text EMULATOR.INI file. Not sure if this is a new addition to the emulator but could this be the support we needed for dual lightguns to work?

Code: [Select]
[Input]
XInput=0 ;Enable support for Xbox360 compatible devices
EnableFF=0 ;Enable Force Feedback Effects
HoldGears=0 ;Set to 1 to return to Neutral in driving games when the gear shift key is released
UseRawInput=0 ;Read mouse through Rawinput, allowing 2 mice
RawDevP1=0 ;Assign specific RawInput devices to players. If you have more than 2 mice
RawDevP2=1 ;set which one is assigned to each player (0-based)

nah, those options have always been there.
It did work with mice, but not light guns (even light guns that show up as mice). 

Simplest way I can think to explain it is that it reads which direction the mouse is moving and how far, but doesn't know where the gun is pointed when you start or how fast the movement of the gun translates to movement on the screen.  It works with a mouse because you can pick it up and reposition it and don't expect a 1:1 relationship to movement on the screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »
Model 2 is in relative mouse mode, which is like if someone gave you directions by constantly yelling "go 2 steps left and one step up"  "now go a step down and two right"  This works great for determining the cursor position if you know where you started, but since we don't it just doesn't work. 

Lightguns need absolute positions which is more like "go to the corner of 1st and main"... in other words x and y coordinates giving an exact location each time.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:50:56 am »
I wonder if Elsemi's employment with Sega ended or, they agreed on a time frame with no active updates to the code. I would love to know the background to the whole Elsemi thing as it gives character to one of the best emulators ever made!

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:17 pm »
here some interesting info.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

at the bottom of his most recent post haze wrote:

He (ElSemi) did also kindly pass me the sources to his Model 2 emulator, I plan on seeing if I can use them to improve the MAME emulation (although no promises, 3D systems aren’t really something I’m known for my work on so it might go nowhere.)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:07:04 am »

He (ElSemi) did also kindly pass me the sources to his Model 2 emulator, I plan on seeing if I can use them to improve the MAME emulation (although no promises, 3D systems aren’t really something I’m known for my work on so it might go nowhere.)

Interesting.  R.Belmont commented years ago that he had the source code for M2.  I don't know if he ever did anything with it.
I'll have to check the history on the model 2 driver. 
I think these games would be too demanding in MAME to run on current generation processors anyway.
At least until they find a way to offload the 3D work to the GPU in a way that is consistent with "the MAME way".

From what I've read, Direct x11 actually performs some tricks that would allow a GPU to function in a similar way to the original NAOMI arcade hardware.
Maybe this could be true of other hardware too.  Can you imagine the outcry though if MAME no longer ran on Windows XP.  :lol

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:59:58 pm »

Interesting.  R.Belmont commented years ago that he had the source code for M2.  I don't know if he ever did anything with it.
I'll have to check the history on the model 2 driver. 
I think these games would be too demanding in MAME to run on current generation processors anyway.
At least until they find a way to offload the 3D work to the GPU in a way that is consistent with "the MAME way".

From what I've read, Direct x11 actually performs some tricks that would allow a GPU to function in a similar way to the original NAOMI arcade hardware.
Maybe this could be true of other hardware too.  Can you imagine the outcry though if MAME no longer ran on Windows XP.  :lol

You said what I was thinking, but in a much erm, nicer way :) I was just going to say outright that I think it's way past due that the MAME dev team supports hardware acceleration from the GPU, otherwise 3D games like this will continue to perform slow.

I have no interest in seeing model 2 games run in mame personally, since we'd have A)no 3D accelerated graphics or effects(AA, etc) and B)No force feedback(crucial for the racing games). I'll stick with Model 2 emu. Hope this release inspires El Semi to continue development on the emu.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:47 pm »
We'd have FF... the output system is still in there.  Play some of the model 2 games in mame right now though and you'll see that they are just too slow. 

They really need to put a hardware-accelerated renderer in mame at this point... over half of the games won't run due to lack of one which makes it a tad bit difficult to work on bugs for a driver you can't even run.  I'm all about preservation too, that's why they should include a software renderer as well.  Problem solved!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
We'd have FF... the output system is still in there.  Play some of the model 2 games in mame right now though and you'll see that they are just too slow. 

They really need to put a hardware-accelerated renderer in mame at this point... over half of the games won't run due to lack of one which makes it a tad bit difficult to work on bugs for a driver you can't even run.  I'm all about preservation too, that's why they should include a software renderer as well.  Problem solved!

Preservation is pointless if you're preserving something useless. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:43 pm »
Well I think the problem is many of the MAME devs still have this mentality of when mame was new.... Back then pc processor speeds were upped by leaps and bounds every year.  So the video card wasn't an issue... eventually the processors would get fast enough to run it in pure software mode. 

unfortunately we haven't had a major processor revolution in years.  We are stuck around the 3.5-4ghz mark for consumer-level devices.  You might think that processors are getting faster but they aren't.  What they've been doing lately is making them smaller so multiple processors can fit on a single chip... something mame doesn't take much advantage of.  (Or anything really).  The gpus and combo cpus are where the speed upgrades are coming into play and mame just doesn't use them at all. 

I could see the average pc still having trouble emulating the simplest of 3d games even 5-10 years from now..... unless the architecture is changed. 

LeSpank

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:26 pm »
Someone PMed me about this so I'll just post it publically..... I don't have a clue if TS2 will work with this or not... probably not.  The only reason I made TS2 was because I was fairly certain that it was the final release of M2.  So if anyone wants to test that (someone who can already run TS2 properly please) post your results here.

Hi Howard, I just wanted to let you know that I am running TS2 with M2 v1.1a and have encountered no problems with Virtua Cop 1, Virtua Cop 2 or Gunblade NY. For some reason House of the Dead 2 crashes after the sound initialize screen though. If I delete the .lua in the scripts folder it works fine.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:13:49 pm by LeSpank »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »

Hi Howard, I just wanted to let you know that I am running TS2 with M2 v1.1a and have encountered no problems with Virtua Cop 1, Virtua Cop 2 or Gunblade NY. For some reason House of the Dead 2 crashes after the sound initialize screen though. If I delete the .lua in the scripts folder it works fine.

TS2 is only compatible with v1.0

LeSpank

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »
I got it running. I'm annoyed now as I messed around with the settings and can't replicate them  :badmood:

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »
I got it running. I'm annoyed now as I messed around with the settings and can't replicate them  :badmood:
You can't replicate the problems? or you can't replicate the working status of Gunblade: NY?  I really liked that game, I am excited to know the working'ness of that game.  Follow up question: What computer/os does it take to get that working. 

LeSpank

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 05:19:02 pm »
You can't replicate the problems? or you can't replicate the working status of Gunblade: NY?  I really liked that game, I am excited to know the working'ness of that game.  Follow up question: What computer/os does it take to get that working.

I couldn't replicate the working status!

Think I've got it sussed now though. Here are the steps.

1. Clean install of M2v1.1a
2. Manually create 'CFG' folder in M2v1.1a directory (TS2 crashes if you don't do this)
3. Open TS2 program and run model 2 setup to install TS2 files/scripts in M2v1.1a directory
4. Open EMULATOR.ini and switch UseRawInput=0
5. Test a ROM, calibrate the gun. It should work as normal.

I realise doing this means you can only use one lightgun but it is better than the alternative of having no functionality at all. It removes the problem of the window minimising when shooting outside of the screen, which is what I care most about. Please try it for yourselves.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »
...or you could use v1.0 with TS2 and have two working guns (but mono sound)....   :dunno

wait.......that's not a driving game!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 07:38:08 pm »
It sounds like you never had ts2 working properly in the first place.  It doesn't minimize the game when you shoot offscreen.  If you have that issue it's something to do with your guns I'm guessing. 

LeSpank

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 01:18:50 am »
Haha well this is frustrating. You did ask users to test TS2 did you not?

All I meant to say is that your options are thus if you want to use the latest version of the emulator.

1. Don't use TS2 at all. Light gun registers hits correctly but shooting off screen minimises the emulator (i.e. unplayable)
2. Use TS2 with default settings (unplayable)
3. Use TS2 with rawinput set to 0 (works perfectly for 1 player)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:17 am »
Except that it really doesn't.  I tested ts2 on version 1.1 myself and the memory hooks don't work at all.  What you are doing by setting rawinput to 0 is essentially disabling ts2 except for the part where it resizes the window. 

No... I'm working on mamehooker atm.  I haven't asked for beta testers for ts2 in over a year.... I consider it permanently in limbo, for now at least.

The only solution atm is to use version 1.0 of m2emulator.

The only difference between it and version 1.1 is a few sound issues were fixed on some games and some new variants of top skater were added afaik.

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 06:14:32 pm »
I'm amazed. I thought there was a better chance of me tripping over Jimmy Hoffa's body while running from Big Foot than seeing another M2Emu release.

Joaquim2020

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 07:47:06 am
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 07:46:27 am »
here some interesting info.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

If you have the source, why not add the lastest games? Air Walkers need to be added.  :(

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 05:35:03 pm »
Why on earth would anyone dredge up a thread that hasn't been active for 7½ years to ask this...? I don't think SegaOutrun even visits this forum anymore. His profile says he was last active on it in 2019.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 09:30:27 pm »
hehe. Well, it's of interest i guess because it would be nice to finally get M2 emulation squared away finally. He'd do better chasing Haze at this point though, even though that's going to be like putting yourself in the firing line :)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:11 pm »
Why on earth would anyone dredge up a thread that hasn't been active for 7½ years to ask this...? I don't think SegaOutrun even visits this forum anymore. His profile says he was last active on it in 2019.

Facts. When I saw the thread title I was seriously hoping there was an actual new update to the emu. How disappointing  :dunno :cry:

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 02:59:52 am »
I hadn't heard of Air Walkers before though, so it was nice to be alerted to that!

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 05:18:51 am »
I’m a little late to the party here with upgrading to 1.1. Couple of questions:

-Did the rom set change or can I use the existing 1.0?
-can you copy the emulator.ini and m2network.ini from the v1.0?
-Is the m2lagfix file still the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
I’m a little late to the party here with upgrading to 1.1.

Oh boy yes you are. This update is like 8 years old. I'd be very surprised if you aren't already using 1.1a. Roms should be fine, but i have no idea if those others even work with 1.0.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 09:12:11 pm
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 11:42:43 am »
Can anyone tell me if anyone is working on a new version of Model 2?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 01:38:22 pm »
Not that I am aware of...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:42:04 am by baritonomarchetto »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2022, 05:21:49 pm »

Piecing together information and hearsay would suggest that Elsemi, the author of M2emu, was hired by Sega to work on ports/emulated rerelease version of M2 games. When that happened he had to sign a no-compete clause, and gave all his code to the mamedev Haze. And, well, MAME is MAME, so they haven't finished M2 as they have a lot of other priorities. I'm not quite sure where Sailorsat fits into the picture, save that she's responsible for getting M1 and M2 networking running in MAME.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 07:36:21 pm »

Piecing together information and hearsay would suggest that Elsemi, the author of M2emu, was hired by Sega to work on ports/emulated rerelease version of M2 games. When that happened he had to sign a no-compete clause, and gave all his code to the mamedev Haze. And, well, MAME is MAME, so they haven't finished M2 as they have a lot of other priorities. I'm not quite sure where Sailorsat fits into the picture, save that she's responsible for getting M1 and M2 networking running in MAME.

We know that MAME evolves at a slow pace and is a long way from running Model 2 and 3, let alone becoming a better version of these emulators, unfortunately. Those should be their priorities and not emulating calculators and minigames. Well, at least we still have the Model 2. The Model 3 is evolving very well.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2022, 09:15:24 am »
Model 3 is pretty much fully evolved if you just bypass MAME and use Supermodel. Most of the games in it are like 99.9% arcade perfect now and ALL the multiplayer cabinet games can be linked up now.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2022, 09:33:20 am »
Model 3 is pretty much fully evolved if you just bypass MAME and use Supermodel. Most of the games in it are like 99.9% arcade perfect now and ALL the multiplayer cabinet games can be linked up now.

I would really like this class to take Model 2 to continue development.

MrThunderwing, I would like to join your team of online players, is it possible? At least to play Scud Race. I live in Brazil.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:38:39 am by Super-Becker »

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 06:30:47 pm
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2022, 07:44:04 pm »
Mame plays daytona well now. Sega rally is...... odd. Keep an eye on mame but the m2 emulator us still the best option.

Model 3 games are too slow on my mame set up (old gen 6 i7 cpu). Stick with supermodel.

Funnily enough it has the power to play crazy taxi in mame well enough (demul is best for sure)

For people with multi sync crts you can force the original res (EGA) in m2emu and super model by adding 496 x 384 to the desktop resolutions in the super resolutions file for vmmaker then also adding 496 x 384 in the emulator ini file.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 12:57:41 pm »

I would really like this class to take Model 2 to continue development.

MrThunderwing, I would like to join your team of online players, is it possible? At least to play Scud Race. I live in Brazil.

Heh, I don't actually have a 'team of online players' - about once a year I'll make a YouTube video asking if anyone wants to play some online Daytona USA or Outrun Online Arcade on the PS3 and proposing a date for it, then I just see who turns up on the day.

All the videos of me playing Scud Race, Daytona USA 2 and Le Mans 24 with 3 players using Supermodel are just me and two of my mates all playing on the one PC, with multiple versions of the emulator linked up. You can play Supermodel in multi PC LAN link-ups, but as far as I know there's no way to play Scud Race online in link-up (I think a member of the Supermodel forum might've managed to play some Spike Out in online link up using some 3rd party programme, but I couldn't tell you anymore than that).

If you've got a PS3 and you wanted to play some online Daytona there a Discord server that's fairly active - I'm a member, but I'm not exactly what you'd call a very active participant on it. I'll leave an invite here that you (or anyone else) can use.
https://discord.gg/3jUakkKZSr