Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Monster Energy" themed, "Android Tablet" powered, Jukebox (01/01/2014)  (Read 16016 times)

Typefighter01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
Since my CNC build is on hold due to the cold weather, I thought I would throw together an Android powered Jukebox while I wait for spring.

High level plan:

1.Android Tablet Powered-no rooting, nothing fancy, just take it out of the box and plug it in (already ordered, Le Pan ii...http://lepantab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81)
2.Buy PowerAmp-(or something similar, $15 Google Play card purchased and waiting)
3.Dump a couple hundred MP3's on it-sitting on my hard drive waiting
4.Speakers-2.1 setup, 2 x Polk Audio M1's (bought them 5 years ago, never been used http://www.polkaudio.com/products/m1) and a one JL 12W1 (bought it 4 years ago, never been used http://www.jlaudio.ca/12w1v2-4-car-audio-w1v2-subwoofer-drivers-92074)
5.Amplifier-http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/audio-video/audio-amplifiers/mca2250e-2-1-channel-class-d-amplifier.html
5.Build it out of 3/4" pine-I have around six 2' x 4', 3/4", pine "handy panels", bought them for a project I never started. Even though I will be covering them in carbon fibre vinyl, it will be nice to work with real wood for a change.
6.As stated above, cover in 3M Di Noc, white T-mold, green LED under lighting and some Monster Energy themed decals or wraps.

So thats the plan anyway. I will post pics of each piece individually once the amp and tablet arrive (both in transit).

Here is a mock up of what I hope to achieve...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Re: "Monster Energy" themed, "Android Tablet" powered, Jukebox (01/01/2014)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »
When I got home today I was greeted by the tablet and amp...

Also picked up a 6' 3.5mm extension cable (I think I will need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter because even though the amp will take the 3.5mm as an input, the auto-on feature is only activated thru the RCA jacks)...

Here is the tablet.

First impressions:

Screen resolution-9/10
Touch screen-8/10
Build quality-8/10
Google Play and ICS-2/10

Not to sound like an Apple fanboy, and I ain't lookin for an Android vs IOS debate, but IMHO, Android (at least Gingerbread to ICS) is like the Vista of windows. It feels like an evil cobbled together university students Masters Thesis in programming and I feel I am inflicting a type of punishment on myself when ever I have to touch it. I couldn't justify spending $399 on an Ipad that will only get used twice a month, so $150 B-level Android tablet it is.

Here is a shot of the amp. If weight is any indication of the quality of this guy, I am in big trouble. I seriously thought the box was empty when I picked it up. But lo and behold, it was in there. It looks like a quality item, we will just have to see how well it performs.

Ended up installing Player Pro as the music player as it is the only app that didn't crash and need force closure evey time it was launched.

I am going to start cutting tomorrow, I will post some pics then...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:08:25 pm »
Tested the amp with the satelittes and they worked fine, but the stock eq settings were bass heavy (muddled and flat). I downloaded the Playerpro DSP pack, and I managed to smooth it out with their 10 band eq and it sounds a thousand times better. Only have 2 songs on it right now that I pulled off my phone over Bluetooth, and Player pro grabbed the Album art and artist pics:-)

Wifi and Bluetooth work flawlessly on the Let Pan ii, I might even go far as to say the Wifi works better than my IPad 2  :angry:.

I have the basic frame and sides cut out, I will post some pics later tonight or tomorrow. My goal is to get the skeleton built and sub installed by end of this weekend.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »
Here is one of the sides cut sitting beside my Beaver gum machine for scale. Sorry I don't have any pics of cutting in the garage, but it is too cold, sorry  :dunno.

This is one of the smaller outside pcs, the top of the finished juke will be a few inches taller than the gumball machine.

Played around with the tablet a little bit more. I installed a few more Playerpro themes and I also installed a start up launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autostart. It is a no root auto app launcher that will start an app whenever the tablet is powered up...works perfect.

Speaking about starting up, I may or may not have a problem with how this tablet behaves in regards to charging. When you plug the tablet in, it will turn on and will stay on as long as it is plugged in. If I turn it off while charging, it turns it self back on right away. I am using a smart strip, so I have to decide the best way to turn everything on and off. The amp I am not worried about, it has an auto start feature. I don't want to shut down the tablet by cutting power, I am sure the OS is not going to appreciate that. So I have to find a way to have the tablet turn on properly (this is the easy part), but have it turn off correctly and trigger the smart strip to take the amp and LED controller with it. I will think this one over, any one have a good idea, please throw it in the ring now...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
I don't want to shut down the tablet by cutting power, I am sure the OS is not going to appreciate that.

First time I have ever quoted myself, but the statement was so moronic, it warranted repeating. If I cut power to the tablet, nothing will happen  :banghead:, it will just sit there, on, doing nothing (jeesh, got PC on the brain). Anyone know if it is possible to power off an Android tablet through the home screen, bypassing the physical power button located on the top?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:02:54 pm »
The link below was the only answer I found that looked promising. If you use this you could do away with the smart strip and just use a real on off switch. Power off at switch, Tablet shuts down.  There is a bootloader for the Nexus 7 which will power on the device when connected to a charger, If you could find how to do that with your one you would be golden.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/29939/is-it-possible-to-turn-an-android-tablet-on-or-off-over-a-wired-connection-such

As for the Tablet not shutting off when you tell it to shut off I saw many people experiencing the same problem unfortunately.  I would definitely recommend finding a solution to that first.  Does it turn off properly if you tell it to shut off when its not getting charge? 

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:50:03 pm »
There is a bootloader for the Nexus 7 which will power on the device when connected to a charger, If you could find how to do that with your one you would be golden.

The tablet already displays this behaviour. If tablet is unplugged, I need to hold the power button down for the typical 5 or so seconds and it boots up like normal. If I hold down the power button while on (while unplugged), tablet asks if I really want to power off, I click ok and off it goes. If tablet is off and I plug it into the wall charger, it boots up (a normally very handy behaviour ala having your TV power up in your MAME cab when power is applied, bypassing the physical "pressing" of the power button), but, unplugging it does not display the reverse behaviour (shut down), it just sits there powered on ready to use and if I power off tablet while still plugged in, it turns itself right back on. This is why I was thinking smart strip.

1.LED controller plugged into main outlet...
2.Tablet charger and Amp, plugged into switched outlets...
3.Use Led remote (or rig a physical switch) to turn on LED controller, amp gets power and tablet charger gets power telling tablet to boot (power on)...
4.Upto this point, I am perfect, everything powers up with one button. Now, ideally, I want a one button power off also, and it makes sense to use the LED power as it is the master switch. But what will happen when I press it is the LED controller will turn off and so will the Amp, but the tablet (though not charging), has no command to turn it off.

I had previously looked at Tasker, but for some reason I thought it needed ROOT access, but in reviewing it, it looks like it might fit the bill. I will download it tonight and see if I can get it too either shut down when power is lost or some other trickery. Thanks for getting me to revisit Tasker, I will report back what I find...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »
Well, I downloaded Tasker and it is not going to work as hoped. The best I would be able to do with it is maybe turn the screen on or off, there is no option to control power state. I have an idea that I will explore once I get it built, but for now, I will put my hopes of a one button on/off power solution on the backburner  :censored:.

Here is a pic of all my pcs cut ready for assembly...

and another...

The speakers have a slight curve to them, so I will have them transition smoothly into rounded tops. In the second pic below, you can see the skeletons I built that I will need to cover with some bendy wood.

I am using a combination of nut-serts, metal 90 degree brackets and glue to put this thing together. I will post more pics of assembly as it goes together.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:30 pm »

8.Didn't cut the hole yet, but outlined the Amp hole...

To do items:

-build the curved front piece that will hold the tablet.
-cover the curved front and side pcs with bendy wood (I feel some fiberglass in my future).
-cut out and hinge a rear access panel.
-route T-mold slots

There are other items, but those are the next most important...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Re: "Monster Energy" themed, "Android Tablet" powered, Jukebox (01/01/2014))
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:22 pm »
Just spent $100 on $20 worth of E-bay sourced LED's because I am impatient and I guess partly stupid  :dizzy:.

When I was at Sayal picking up the smart strip, I checked their LED section and it looked like I could get a $40 LED kit that came with controller, power supply, remote and about 5 feet of LED's. I decided against it at the time as I knew 5' wasn't long enough. They did sell longer strips, but I wasn't too sure how long I would need. While sitting at my desk at work yesterday I was saying to myself "You need something to keep you motivated this weekend, damn, you should have picked up the LED kit and then you could get extra strips next time you are in Barrie". In my great wisdom, I remembered my wife had to go into Barrie to pick up baby shower items, so I e-mailed her (what I thought was) the part number for the kit I had seen and asked her to pick it up. Anyway, long story short, I gave her the wrong part number and she ended up grabbing me a $100 LED kit that didn't even come with a power supply  :banghead:. Here is the piece of junk I paid a cool hundie for http://www.sayal.com/zinc/zinc_SEARCH.asp?txtSEARCH=BKZP-1685&x=11&y=29, and no, I could not take it back, when my wife paid for it, it became mine, like it or not (if I had the balls, I could probably make a scene and eventually get a refund, I don't have the balls).

Results:

1.Remote-does not work unless completely disassembled holding the battery in one hand and making the connection on the pad with a piece of wire with the other (so remote is a fail and goes into the trash).
2.Controller-does not work...period (tried every trick I could think of, controller is dead and a fail and goes into the trash).
3.LED Strip-if you can believe it, the LED strip, initially, did not work either (looks like either the 4 pin connector or the connector to strip solder pads are bad. I flipped the strip around, cut off the extension connector and wired it directly to power supply).
4.Power supply-old PSU. It is big and not what I was hoping to use, but it works and it is free so...whatever.

So, what have we learned? Buy your LED kits on Amazon.ca because they are 1/3rd the price and if they don't work, you online chat to a very nice customer service agent in India and they send you a new kit right away. Well, in the end, I have 5 meters of 5050 RGB LED's that seem to function fine w/ my old PSU and I will get my Monster Energy green like I wanted. The picture is not really representative of how they will look when I am finished, I am just testing.

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:30:16 pm »
Super cool project and cool to see another member from Ontario.
(I actually have family in Barrie)

I like the use of the LED lights, I use these along with cold cathode tubes on projects........... very cool.
I always get mine from eBay, I've had no issues !

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for stoppin in  ;D...

Probably jumped the gun on the LED's without doing any research like I normally do, but since I wasn't looking for fading, colour changing and other effects anyway, they will serve their purpose.

I have been following your thread also, just haven't had anything useful to say  :cheers:.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:56:33 am »
This is going to be pretty sweet man.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:10:02 am »
Hey Mike,

Probably jumped the gun on the LED's without doing any research like I normally do, but since I wasn't looking for fading, colour changing and other effects anyway, they will serve their purpose.

I have been following your thread also, just haven't had anything useful to say  :cheers:.

No worries !
Your project is super cool !
I really like this, wish I had t he space (skill and ability) to have a juke like yours.
I like how you gave it a theme.
Best I'll ever get/do is perhaps a bezel for the PC  that I can customize, perhaps adding some LED's........... who knows !

Oh yes......my thread..........my project. Need to email TeamViewer today........if I could get the touch interactions working that would be so sweet.
I'm VERY happy with Touch Jams and Bob had made some feature changes to accommodate my request.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:10:34 am »
Hey Mike,

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
How goes the project ?

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 06:53:41 pm »
How goes the project ?

I have been bed ridden with the flu for 2 weeks, the sickest I have ever been. Back to work tomorrow and hopefully back at the juke this weekend.

Monday or Tuesday next week I am going to stop by Royal Distributing (motorbike/ATV/snowmobile parts store), and pick up a sheet of Monster Energy stickers. I am thinking about sticking them over some green acrylic and cutting the acrylic 1/4" oversize so I can backlight with the LED's, should make a nice glow around the big "M".

I am lovin the tablet, been surfin with it all the time...works perfect.

This is going to be pretty sweet man.

Thanks  :applaud:

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:07:25 pm »
Made this sign a few years back. What if we made you the "M" logo and halo light it, or we could cast it translucent monster green? Maybe you have other plans.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:58 pm »
Made this sign a few years back. What if we made you the "M" logo and halo light it, or we could cast it translucent monster green? Maybe you have other plans.

Your Monster Energy sign looks sick  :cheers:. I would love to have the "M" logo cast in translucent green, I would also love to have the "Monster Energy" letters cast, just like on the sign, but neither the "M" or the letters mounted to a backer, I would mount them to the juke myself. This would blow away any sticker I could probably find. I will PM you sometime this weekend with dimensions and maybe you can throw me a quote...thanks Donkey Kong.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 07:16:43 pm »
Keep at it man! Looking pretty sweet so far.  :cheers: Checkout PowerAmp, pretty nice app. I used it on my tablet when I had it mounted in my dash.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 07:51:08 pm »
Keep at it man! Looking pretty sweet so far.  :cheers: Checkout PowerAmp, pretty nice app. I used it on my tablet when I had it mounted in my dash.

Hey Brian...PowerAmp is the app I wanted to use from the beginning, but every time I launched it, it crashed  :dunno. Rooting the tablet and/or installing apk files is not something I wanted to do, just wanted a reliable music player from the Google Play store that worked, so Playerpro it was as it was the only one out of about 5 different ones I tried that actually worked. Also wanted onscreen volume control without going into a separate "equalizer" screen and it does this for me (not a fake rotary knob, which would have been ideal, but a volume slider non the less).

Started on the insert that will actually hold the tablet. It is hard to tell with the pictures, but there is a small recess that will shine light up and I will probably make some mesh inserts that will sit a few inches down inside (I will do the same kind of treatment on the two outside speaker tops).

Me holding the box the tablet came in showing roughly where it is going to sit.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »
I like the look of this. I had my juke done, got a new house, wont fit down the steps  :banghead: So I have started a two screen wall mount. Here is my old juke

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »
I like the look of this. I had my juke done, got a new house, wont fit down the steps  :banghead: So I have started a two screen wall mount.

Very nice Brian  :cheers:. My wife and her friends would love a juke like that, including your country tunes (i like the juke, but the country tunes...not so much  >:D).

Working with Donkey Kong on having the Monster Energy logo cast in acrylic so I can back light it. I will keep you guys posted on what we come up with.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »
I like the look of this. I had my juke done, got a new house, wont fit down the steps  :banghead: So I have started a two screen wall mount. Here is my old juke
Sorry quick Hijack,  Nice Jukebox.  But how do you make Squirrel rhyme with Girl. And now I have that damned tune stuck in my head  :laugh2: :laugh2:

@Typefighter,  Looking good, Very tempted to steal this design (Or at least the shape) when I get round to doing something with all the kit I have downstairs. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »
Why, may I ask, is everyone so big on Monster? I mean, I get liking stuff. I love Dr. Pepper for example. But not to the point of making a really really REALLY sweet advertisement in my own home for them. Do you work for Monster, or just really love it? This is a serious question. No, I am not trolling.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:29 am »
Don't think it is any different than building a Coke theme juke, or, Harley Davidson theme for example (or a Lime Aid themed arcade cab :o). Monster Energy is involved in a lot of sports I am interested in...skate boarding, drifting, extreme sports, it coincides with my interests. I also like the logo and out of all the energy drinks I have had, I like it the best (my wife says it smells like cat piss  :angry:).

Anyone who's wondering, project isn't dead, just moving slowly...

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Anyone who's wondering, project isn't dead, just moving slowly...

Maybe it needs some more Monster Energy Drink  >:D 

(my wife says it smells like cat piss  :angry:).

Nah it don't smell that bad, A little overpowering but not as bad as your missus claims.
I had a can of Knock off Red Bull called Red Devil, and that whilst it didn't smell like Cat pee, tasted like what I would imagine Cat Pee to taste like).

Karpro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2015, 09:49:37 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »
Typefighter, did you ever finish this project?

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:57 am »
No Karpro, not yet. Project is not dead by any means, I have just been playing with my CNC all summer. With winter coming, I will probably pick away at finishing it. I will cut my own "M" logo on the CNC and I just bought a wide format printer, so I will do some kind of wrap on it also.

Thanks for checking it out  :cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:20 pm »
Why, may I ask, is everyone so big on Monster? I mean, I get liking stuff. I love Dr. Pepper for example. But not to the point of making a really really REALLY sweet advertisement in my own home for them. Do you work for Monster, or just really love it? This is a serious question. No, I am not trolling.

I love Monster Energy so much, I let it give me diabetes. (True story.) But, on a more serious note, the "M" is almost iconic. The text on the side of the can is irreverent, and the combination of this and their marketing (it's EVERYWHERE in 'fringe sports') make it a very recognizable and popular brand.

Oh, and Type. Sick looking machine, man. Love it! (So jealous of your CNC too.)

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:18:45 pm »
I love Monster Energy so much, I let it give me diabetes. (True story.) But, on a more serious note, the "M" is almost iconic. The text on the side of the can is irreverent, and the combination of this and their marketing (it's EVERYWHERE in 'fringe sports') make it a very recognizable and popular brand.

Well that scares me Rick :o I only drink 1 can a week, on a Friday or Saturday to help with the hobbies.

Oh, and Type. Sick looking machine, man. Love it! (So jealous of your CNC too.)

Thanks for the compliments, high praise coming from you. Us Canucks have to stick together  :cheers:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30:26 pm »
If you can do this without a CNC, I can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with one.   :dizzy:

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:45 am »
Well that scares me Rick :o I only drink 1 can a week, on a Friday or Saturday to help with the hobbies.

Don't worry. You're in safe territory. I used to drink 1-2 (sometimes more) cans of the "Original Mean Green" formula every day. Way too much, for sure. Now, I try to keep it down to 1 can of the "Absolute Zero" every couple of days. Still haven't been able to knock the caffeine habit, but it's significantly better - and cheaper - than the alternative. (And yeah - I do have Type 2 Diabetes, and yes, I attribute it to my own stupidity. I certainly don't blame a company or product for 'giving it to me'.)

:)