Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DDR Pads Acquired  (Read 26838 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
DDR Pads Acquired
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:05 pm »
Picked these up on Christmas Eve.  I'm told they're "Korean bootlegs from Taiwan." 

:dunno

They weigh about 100lbs each and make sure you wear thick leather gloves picking these things up - the bottom edges are razor sharp. 

Bottoms are a little rough:

What it looks like with the wood ripped off.  The authentic ones are supposed to be completely wrapped in stainless steel.

Underside of one of the arrows:

Grid underneath arrows:

Under the grid:

The pushbutton is always lit when it's powered.  Clicking it breaks that connection and lights the bulbs around the arrow.  Yes, those are mostly 555 bulbs with wires soldered directly to them and affixed to the wood with hot glue.  One 47.

:dizzy:

A very weird combination of good construction and corner cutting.

Anyway, unlike the hypocrisy in the MAME community, the DDR folks seem quite open about the fact they've bootlegged all the software, imagery, and music from the arcade machines.  And then eventually monetized it by selling conversion kits and then their own machines.  So I've currently got some bootlegged up "In The Groove 2" software chock full of DDR assets. 

Now to decide what happens to these things...

:cheers:

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DDR Pads Acquired
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
Now to decide what happens to these things...

For some reason, I can't picture you using these... at all.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:10:04 am »
I suck at it but I always liked them in the arcades.  I think these will withstand all 450 of my pounds slamming them.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:19:48 am
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:25:40 am »
Everytime DDR comes up - this clip pops into my head.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:39:58 am by rablack97 »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 02:04:11 pm »
Those are actually the Taiwan bootlegs from Korea. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
Making some extremely slow progress on this.  Figure I might as well make them USB like everything else.

Picked up a couple of these for use as encoders.  If the project fizzles out, this is something I might actually use for something else some day.  Seems awfully cheap at $6 shipped...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Style-Controller-Game-Pad-USB-For-PC-MAC-Pixel-Art-Blue-NEW-/221327412066?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3388244b62

Mulling over how to handle the lighting.  I've got hundreds of pinball bulbs laying around.   :P

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:01:03 pm »
These are commonly referred to by players as "crap-o-cabs".  There's no wood in a legitimate stage from Japan, though the DDRX era US-region ones are made of wood (and they suck, too).  It's pretty unlikely you'll ever get these to work very well as the design just isn't very good, but you can have some fun with them.

Regarding lighting, I'd go with LEDs if you actually care.  Those incandescents are harder to switch (being a higher power load) and don't respond well to the rapid on/off cycles that the game subjects them to: they die quickly AND don't light up quickly enough for a good effect.

Also, In the Groove started out as a similar game offered as a conversion kit, then they had Andamiro (maker of a legitimate competitor to DDR known as Pump It Up) sell dedicated cabinets.  There were not originally any DDR assets in ITG, though they did (legitimately) license a few of the same songs.  Konami eventually sued them into oblivion over the conversion process due to trademark infringement: apparently they didn't do enough to cover up all the old Konami trademarks during the conversion process.  ITG machines are commonly "hacked" by their users (they just run Stepmania, an open source DDR simulator) to add in all the old DDR songs/simfiles, but this was not present in the original ITG distributions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:04:40 pm by MonMotha »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »
You're overstating the shortcomings of incandescent bulbs - the ones in this well used pad are clearly original and most of them work.   ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:34 pm »
Ah to heck with it.  Might as well exploit the sales this time a year and go LED:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=3496185

$1.46/string and you wash out the tax with a 10% coupon.  I'm picking up a pile of these this afternoon.  Hard to beat 3 cents an LED that comes with wiring and its own socket.  I'll chop a couple of these up and throw a wall wart in each pad and the lighting issue should be solved.

Admittedly, I did cancel the 30 strings of incandescent I had ordered at 55 cents each.  No idea what the hell I'd do with that many lights.   ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »
Annnnd Lowe's sold them out from under me. 

Went to Hobby Lobby, guy ahead of me was literally arm sweeping entire shelves of boxes of lights into his cart.

Can't win them all, I guess. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 01:03:33 pm »
Get in there and throw some elbows black friday style.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 01:38:09 pm »
I bought a pile of battery powered 10-LED strings for $1.70/each... shipped.  Why do we even have stores?  Any wall wart should be able to handle those things simultaneously, so I'll put one string in each arrow.  Heck, a lantern battery would probably last years.  Terminal strips and USB extension cables have been ordered.

Progress anticipated when all this junk arrives from China next month.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
Okay, time for an actual update.  The control pads arrived.

Uncomfortable and the buttons are hard to press.  And we wonder why these things are on clearance 3 months after release?

Easily opened.  Hm... looks like the resemblance was intended:

Anyway, forget all that.  Here's what we came for:

10 beautiful inputs with a common ground.  2 inputs (right and up) that would require their own ground wires (or perhaps some creative work at a terminal strip).  Didn't even have to scrap anything off the copper pads.

Terminal strips haven't arrived, but I couldn't wait.  I got out the DMM and buzzed out the inputs.  I'll clean this up later.

And here we go.  Time to decide what happens with these pads.  Using the second control pad for things like Enter/Start/Escape right now.  Even though In The Groove doesn't label the inputs as Joy1 / Joy2 when you're mapping them, it does in fact recognize both gamepads as separate devices.  The way the game works, it doesn't even matter which order they're plugged in, so it lends itself well to a modular design for each pad.

Done!   ;D

Not really... need to figure out the wiring and how I'm going to get handle bars.

Nephasth

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »
2014 UCA. You heard it hear first.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 05:12:38 pm »
In one of those moments of frugal brilliance, I realized that adding two push buttons to this thing would both eliminate the need for handlebars and make the pads completely functional with In The Groove with no additional devices needed.

The holes are 1.5" across, slightly too wide for regular push buttons.  I bought some light up 46mm ones and they'll just be glued in place so I don't have to cut up the metal underneath.

But as a test, I cut a couple of gaskets out of plastic, shoved buttons through them, and wired it up.  Works really well and it's pretty intuitive to have the right button work as Enter and the left as Back/Escape.  You can see one of them in the photo below.

I've already successfully lured a curious neighborhood girl into my garage, so project priority has increased.

Nephasth

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 05:21:27 pm »
I've already successfully lured a curious neighborhood girl into my garage, so project priority has increased.

:laugh2:  Creeper.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:17 pm »

:laugh2:    Nice.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:04 pm »

I've got $5 cash-in-hand that says PBJ "disappears" again in the next 3 months...  :laugh2:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:53 am »

I've got $5 cash-in-hand that says PBJ "disappears" again in the next 3 months...  :laugh2:

Infatuation with clowns, teenages lured into the garage, yep...seen this one before.    :lol

Nephasth

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:31 pm »

Infatuation with clowns, teenages lured into the garage, yep...seen this one before.    :lol

John Wayne Gacy

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »
In one of those moments of frugal brilliance....

I ---smurfin---' love those.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:07 am »
Well, here's a good tip.  If you're looking for cheap Christmas lights in January, go visit the kosher-friendly grocery store.

Unfortunately, they only had two strings of LED lights, but at 90% off I bit on their entire shopping cart of incandescent lights.  ~75 strings, ~$16.  I should be stocked up for awhile.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:10 pm »
Buttons arrived:

Here's the plan for them:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:37 pm »
The last parts I needed showed up this week.

Mainly terminal strips and LED battery powered Christmas lights.  While searching for a roll of toilet paper, I found an old beard trimmer charger for a weed whacker trashed years ago.

Chopped off the end, wired it to the push buttons and here we go.  Sure, we could do resistor calculations and determine amperage needed but hush now only lights.  I put 1 string of 10 inside each arrow.

Still looking good with the grid tossed on it:

Uh oh.  Now we have a problem.  The plastic arrows have aluminum tape on the bottom of them:

Not sure what I'm going to do about that.  Possibly remove some of that tape... or just ignore it.

Anyway, plays great.  All that's left to do is zip tie up the wiring and put the bottom back on the pad.  Then on to the second pad...

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »
Not sure what I'm going to do about that.  Possibly remove some of that tape... or just ignore it.

With the time and effort you spent lighting them up, it seems silly to ignore the fact that the illumination of a huge portion of the arrow is blocked...
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 01:56:08 pm »
Argh, I know.  I've tried some judicious removal of the aluminum tape, but its ripping off ink.

I may have to source new bootleg arrows or trying shoving these in the deep freeze and see if it falls off.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:15 pm »
Unless they have changed the design... 

When someone places their weight on the square, it sinks down, and the foil touches the Positive and Negative strips, causing the circuit to complete.

While they Might have also used the pushbutton as a backup... I think they choose foil as the main contact method, because microswitches need a 2mm depth to activate.. and often need perfectly centered activation.   In the case of a Dance game.. players might often barely tap a tile quickly, rather than completely put all their mass on it.    This is probably especially true, for the harder levels, whos notes fly by so fast as to nearly break the sound barrier.

The originals probably had a Foil pattern on them that was shaped in a certain way to allow the light to shine around it.  Such as possibly leaving a cut out where the arrows white outlines are.    But as they wore out... and operator probably just put more tape in other spots, thus covering up the lighting.

If you have a way to get cheap prints, you could probably scan the arrows, touch them up..  print them out.   Use paint remover on the plexi, sand and polish..  then apply the printed arrows to the bottom of them.

You will then have to get some sort of metal or foil contact material, and glue it to the bottom... leaving the areas you want lit up, uncovered.

Not sure how much new arrows go for... so not sure which method is the Thriftiest.

The xmas lights do not work too well in this application however.   They are too focused, and the light does not seem to spread out enough... thus causing them to be quite visible when lit.   This is why Pinball machines look best with Traditional bulbs, rather laser beam retina scorching LEDs.   A few pinball lamp sockets would probably be much better... and look a lot better.  It would be interesting to put some pinball flashers in there for fun.   heh.   Would probably give quite the startle, as the player may think an electrical short just happened!  heh

You might be able to salvage the xmas lights... by balling them up, and covering them with a translucent, but not transparent, shield material.  Sort of like how certain Pinball machines use those rubber covers over bulbs.  Or a cars brake lights have an internal diffusion surface inside of them.

xmas lights are pretty unreliable (even the LED versions),  and usually dont last more than a handful of hours..  which would be a real pain to deal with regularly.  Especially if they are out of season.   Where as standard small socket pinball bulbs can last years of constant "On time", without failure.

Better quality LED can last a lot longer, but there is added complexity, costs, and the focused lighting issues... as well as possible color issues.  Its only recently that they have created white leds that do not have a blueish tint.  Many of the xmas sets dont have them however, as they are probably trying to get rid of the older leds.   Also, not sure of the lifespan on new white leds.  Certain solutions get the desired end results... but not the longevity.

Also, for better light spread... paint the inside of the box white.   Such a thing can reduce the need for brighter bulbs, and produce far superior results altogether.  Dont be tempted by metalics / silver.  White works better.  I speak from experience, when trying it out on a tube fixture.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 11:58:21 pm »
Yeah, some good thoughts there.  I did some tape trimming and paint
touch up and wasn't thrilled with it.  Outlining the arrows with aluminum tape would provide sufficient sensitivity and transmit all the light.  These strings are REALLY bright when uncovered.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 12:46:01 am »
If too bright, you may consider placing an additional piece of sanded plexi in front of them, in-between the actual panels.   

Or use a painted surface plexi, thats opaque white, so that the light is bounced back down onto the white painted wood flooring, and then bounced back up into the chamber and panels. (Indirect lighting).   That way, the bulbs intensity can never be seen..  and the light will be a lot more diffused and even.    Leds are the hardest to diffuse..  so multiple methods may be required for good looking output.

Touching up clear plexi is very difficult.. as if any of the paint is too thick, it will show in various dark spots.    You might only get lucky using very distant spray paint with masking... using very light and well controlled coats.   An airbrush may be the best bet, as you get superior control of the air to paint mixture, as well as complete flow levels.   All that is of course if you have the art eye to be able to pre-mix a perfect color match before hand.

After touchups are done.. you would want to mist a light backer spray of translucent white.  This protects the color, but also provides a more diffuse lighting effect.  Which is why they use this method on most all lit arcade & pinball artworks.

A few coats of clear-coat spray, would be good to add durability to the final end result.

Its very difficult to do such a touchup, which is why most people just remake them from scratch... or buy replacements.
If unlit, its not bad... but once lit... any little variance in paint density can ruin the whole thing.  Which happens very easily, if any spatter occurs, trapped dust/dirt,  ... accidental finger smearing... etc.

Fun stuff.  >.<   I speak from mostly negative resulted attempts... sadly.   Then again, I didnt have a working airbrush back then...  so I do wonder about trying again...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:27 am »
You said something about freezing the tape off. Try canned air inverted. Could be a simple way to do it w/out taking it all apart.

Nephasth

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:04 am »
You said something about freezing the tape off. Try canned air inverted. Could be a simple way to do it w/out taking it all apart.

But that would require spending money. I'm sure he knows about this method, he's a pinhead.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 11:28:35 am »
Freeze spray is a joke and doesn't accomplish anything.  If you're going to go that route, I'd suggest rubbing dry ice on whatever you're about to destroy in the process.  I've had better luck with heat guns but you've got about a 5 second window between "just right" and "melting the ink into the adhesive".

Anyway, I removed two of the better looking arrows and scanned them.  Here's the red one cleaned up:

I've got to figure out how I'm going to get 11.5" by 11.5" backlit film printed up.   :P

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:04 am »
Freeze spray is a joke and doesn't accomplish anything.  If you're going to go that route, I'd suggest rubbing dry ice on whatever you're about to destroy in the process.  I've had better luck with heat guns but you've got about a 5 second window between "just right" and "melting the ink into the adhesive".

Anyway, I removed two of the better looking arrows and scanned them.  Here's the red one cleaned up:

I've got to figure out how I'm going to get 11.5" by 11.5" backlit film printed up.   :P

Or you could always use a cleaner one...
http://zephyrcat.deviantart.com/art/My-DDR-Pad-Arrow-B-26186928
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »
Hm.. I appreciate the link.  Guess that's what I get for not googling first.   ;D  More fun this way and the art's different, though.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »
To fit in with Konkey Dong, you should customize the text to say "Show Me Your Boobs".  >:D

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:20 pm »
And with that, I *subscribe*.  :cheers:

AJ

To fit in with Konkey Dong, you should customize the text to say "Show Me Your Boobs".  >:D

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »

Just showing you my Bobs.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
Been dicking around with the blue today, too.  Been years since I used photoshop.  All that time getting paid to clean up scans of clipart sample catalogs and turn it into t-shirts and signs is slowly coming back to me...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »
Looks good, James.