Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice for WinXP setup for frequent power cutouts  (Read 10141 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:54:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Advice for WinXP setup for frequent power cutouts
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:35:39 pm »
Id like to setup a HyperSpin PC so that I can power off randomly without running a windows shutdown.  Im installing it for my little brother and it wont have a mouse/keyboard  and I'd like him to be able to just cut power when hes done playing.

Any advice on being able to do this while maintaining minimal risk the PC wont boot again after a power cutoff?

Hard drive freeze application perhaps?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Advice for WinXP setup for frequent power cutouts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »
it will be in the mother boards bios
under power/options..set to always on state
or what erver they spec as the return to power on state..

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:29:53 pm »
Not really a good idea -- computers were not made to just unplug to shut off and it is just a matter of time before doing so causes a failure of one form or another (ie. if info is being saved to the HDD and power is disconnected the whole HDD can become corrupted) -- would be much better to wire up a smart strip and a single button to shut down the PC and the rest of the components when done (it's not difficult to press one button and let it shut itself down and will be much better for the stability of the system.)

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »
well jdfan i understood that from the start of his question
from your reply i can see u have very little experince with auto boot
or a rather bad advice about it
we use it all the time in the game ind..if not we would be running around doing manual reboots,and i do think the mfg's put it there just for something to do..
ya windows may get a tad bithchie but a safe mode will fix that..if the box is set right.
from what i understand the op wants to kill all power
well a power strip still uses power right ?
or is it a magic power soucre ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »
Yeah I was hoping to just kill all power to the cabinet at once, I was thinking a "hard drive freeze" would take care of any issues with windows system files constantly being open....

I know the tech has come a long way and systems are much better equipped to handle power loss.  I was really hoping to get a recommendation on a hard drive freeze app that is free and doesn't put a burden on the system.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »
bimm25e
what u are missing is there no such thing as a harddrive park,on a hard power down
unless u use a soft power down..ie the power down button
 to allow the time for the hard drive to go to !park!
this is what the op was talking about..
it is a quailtifed remark..
u c u are open to making the hard drive non usable
park is a safe mode for any hardrive

u will note from a cold none shut down,and reboot  into windows >power went out<
that it takes its time comming up,then goes to safe mode..reason is it never had a chance to go to !park!,this is track 0 sector 0
 with the power srtip u can hit 1 button
and walk away knowing the unit will shut the unit down
drive will go to !park! and then with the bios set to reboot on power up all is good

ed

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
Yeah thanks for the information - I feel armed now, I didn't even think of a smart power strip I think that's probably the best option.