Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neo-Geo Bartop: 2 player [COMPLETE][3/22/14]  (Read 15941 times)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Neo-Geo Bartop: 2 player
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »
If Unstupid is offended that I used his marquee, I guess I'll make something different.   It is very close to the factory marquee so I wouldn't be changing much in any case.  Thanks for the offer Malenko, I appreciate it, though I have to pass.  I'm already in mental debt to a couple others for some Warhammer 40k themed art they tossed my way a bit back.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
If Unstupid is offended that I used his marquee, I guess I'll make something different.   It is very close to the factory marquee so I wouldn't be changing much in any case.  Thanks for the offer Malenko, I appreciate it, though I have to pass.  I'm already in mental debt to a couple others for some Warhammer 40k themed art they tossed my way a bit back.

To be fair, I don't think Unstupid was offended. He just pointed out it looked like his.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:08 pm »
Not offended.  Hey, what happened to the previous conversation???? Anyways.... I have no problem with you using a marquee similar to mine.  Here are my suggestions though.... pick whether you want to build a Neo Geo "System" (used on 1 slot machines) or a Neo Geo MVS used on 2, 4, or 6 slot machines).  Mine had a 1 slot board (MV1C) inside which is why I didn't use the MVS logo anywhere on the box.  If you stay with the MVS theme (as on your control panel) I'd switch the marquee to say MVS instead of system.   Also If you were to redo the CP art I'd try and get the white lines around the Player 1 start and player 2 start to be even.  or maybe try and dremmel out a little of the wood cp to slide the buttons left or right to get them centered around the white arc and so that they don't cover the letters..  Remember, the devil is in the details, but its the little things like that that are gonna make your cab shine!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:28:01 pm by Unstupid »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »
Edited My earlier post! :woot

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:31 pm »
Ahhh, now I understand the confusion of the MVS vs SYSTEM.  The actual arcade machine I was modelling this off of was an MVS-2-13.  As far as I know they were single game machines, but the one I took measurements and pics from had MVS on the control panel. 

There's a lot of little quirks that I discovered as I built.  The Left Player/Right Player arrows still confuses the hell out of me.  No idea how it happened.  I think I measured wrong when I drilled.   But, considering it's a first machine and I'm giving it away as a gift to my brother...  He can deal with it.   >:D

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »
The actual arcade machine I was modelling this off of was an MVS-2-13.  As far as I know they were single game machines, but the one I took measurements and pics from had MVS on the control panel.
Actually MVS-2-13 are 2 slot cabs.  The second number in the model number says how many game cartridges it can hold and the last number shows the size of the screen.  Cool site with too much info here: http://www.hardmvs.com/xml/usa/usCabs.htm

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »
The actual arcade machine I was modelling this off of was an MVS-2-13.  As far as I know they were single game machines, but the one I took measurements and pics from had MVS on the control panel.
Actually MVS-2-13 are 2 slot cabs.  The second number in the model number says how many game cartridges it can hold and the last number shows the size of the screen.  Cool site with too much info here: http://www.hardmvs.com/xml/usa/usCabs.htm

Ya know, now that I read your post...  I knew that and had forgotten.  :dizzy: 

The machine I took my measurements off of must have undergone a renovation at some point, it only had a single game and a 1 slot marquee.  Then again, I'd never seen one in the wild before so was rather blown away at how adorable it was.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »
So, working on the software/computer end of things and hating life.  I've got four PCs sitting around and apparently, they are each broken in their own, unique way.  And of course, the parts are only marginally interchangable.  At this point I'm half tempted to just go buy a low end motherboard/CPU brand new...

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 03:25:06 pm »
Finally pieced a computer together from my bit-boxes and loaded XP on it.  Seemed to be working.  Copied over Mala with layout and gamelists.  Everything seemed to be working...  then MAME refused to cooperate.  Seemed to be crashing back to Mala.  Tried launching MAME directly from the command line and got what looked like random stretched triangles on the screen.  Argh!   :banghead:

Forum searches to the rescue!

I was using the onboard video on the mobo.  No 3D hardware apparently and MAME 149 defaults to rendering via Direct3D.  There's a command line switch to force rendering via DirectDraw that fixed the problem.  Amazingly enough there is at least one forum post on these boards that talks about this and how to fix it.  Yay!

So, now that the computer end of things is worked out, I started mounting everything inside the cabinet.  Considering that I'm using older desktop PC parts I'm having to get creative in my getting it all mounted.  Whipping out those mad Tetris skills.

My brother is in town this weekend and came by to visit.  He loves the cabinet and can't wait to take it home.  Overall, I'm chalking this up as a success.

TheDude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:41 pm »
Good-looking bartop  :applaud:

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »
Completed and delivered.  Bro and his kid absolutely love it.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out overall.  Next one will be better though.

Thinks I learned:
  • Make sure the square you are using is actually square.  Apparently mine is about a degree off which wasn't a real problem until cutting the plexi for the screen bezel.
  • Use the table saw for cutting angles, not the jig saw.  None of the back panel edges line up correctly due to the angle cuts all being off.  Next time I'm using the table saw!
  • The 3/4" MDF sold in Handi-panel form at Home Depot is NOT 3/4".  Because of that, my T-mold ended up being a hair wider than the MDF on both sides.  This only presented a problem where the CP swivels open and where the rear access panel is removed.
  • Use real plexi.  In an effort to save some cash I used the clear acrylic from Hobby Lobby that is used for framing projects.  That stuff warps and deforms at the drop of a hat.  Any hat.  dropped anywhere.
  • Figure out what computer parts you will use BEFORE building.  I had a heck of a time figuring out how/where to mount the various components inside the cab.
  • Triple check your artwork.  Some of my artwork is off center, some not quite deep enough, etc.  Since I'm perpetually broke, I took what I got and went with it but I'd have LOVED to reprint after making some changes.

Crappy cell phone pics, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:09:17 pm by Slippyblade »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Neo-Geo Bartop: 2 player [COMPLETE][3/22/14]
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:18 am »
The end result is pretty great!  :applaud:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Neo-Geo Bartop: 2 player [COMPLETE][3/22/14]
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:20 am »
Looks great, Slippy!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)