Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Vortex i10 video issue  (Read 4713 times)

Sarmstrong60

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 05:25:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL Vortex i10 video issue
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:56:27 am »
I have a JVL Vortex running i10 software that is giving me a video issue on a cold start. Replaced the power inverter board and worked great for several days. then it wouldn't show any video at all so I put the origional back in. Now it still has the cold start video issue were the video image is scrambled for a minute but as time goes by it gets worse for longer and longer periods, sometimes requiring several restartrs before it actually comes up right.
thanks Steve

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: JVL Vortex i10 video issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »
you may have to recap the digital board (the board where the VGA signal goes in and then out to the panel) and/or have an issue with a regulator on the digital board. often the caps start to go and it stresses the regulator. noise in the power caused by failing caps can cause all kinds of weird issues.

if you use a good voltmeter and measure the 5 volt and 3.3 volt regulators and they measure good, test with the meter on AC...this will give you an indication of ripple in the DC voltage. anything over 20mV AC should be cause for concern.

These monitors are getting quite old now, and the caps are going to start failing. I recap every electrolytic on the boards when i start having issues with them.

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 01:07:24 pm »
I pulled the LCD out of the game this morning and checked the SMD Caps on that video board and some indeed were bad. I've ordered caps to replace them all, so by this time next week I should know if this fixes the problem. Thanks for the advice, Steve

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:34:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Steve

close enough

you can also substitute a regular through hole capacitor for a surface mount one by laying it down and carefully bending the legs to line up with the solder pads. if you do this, just use a small amount of hot glue or silicone sealer to hold it in place and keep it from breaking loose.

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »
Thanks. The clearance is pretty tight so I'll just wait until I get the SMD caps. Besides that these SMD caps were only 9 cents each, which is way less than I pay for my other caps.

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:41:22 pm »
Got my replacement caps this morning and after a little bit of a learning curve replaced them all. She now boots up on a cold start with no video interference at all.
Thanks for your help, Steve

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »
Got my replacement caps this morning and after a little bit of a learning curve replaced them all. She now boots up on a cold start with no video interference at all.
Thanks for your help, Steve

awesome! no problem...any more issues feel free to drop back!