Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Detailed list of everything I need to mount & wire up a Pac-man PCB?  (Read 1369 times)

TurboC--

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 12:23:05 am
  • No one can defeat the quad laser!
Trying to get someone set up with an authentic Pac-man cabinet (replacing the MAME setup which is in there.)  Here's the list of what I have in terms of relevant components:

Monitor (Happ, has plug and doesn't need transformer), original joystick & buttons, coin door, marquee light, speaker (have)
Pac-Man PCB (will have)
Wiring harness for PCB (will have)
Power transformer for PCB (will have)

And here's what I think I still need:

Power cord
Metal mounting brackets for PCB
Plastic spacers to mount PCB?
Control wiring harness?

I've never mounted a real PCB and I'm also unclear as to whether the control wiring harness is separate from the PCB wiring harness?  Like, does the PCB wiring harness attach to a control wiring harness with those white plugs, in order to be able to change PCBs easily?  Also any advice on where I should look to get the mounting brackets, spacers and control wiring harness (if that's something I need?)  Ebay again, or just go straight to a dealer since it's more specialized and relatively cheap?  Thanks!

happyfunball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
Re: Detailed list of everything I need to mount & wire up a Pac-man PCB?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:50:25 pm »
if you are going all original, there is one wiring harness with connects everything. you'll need an original power supply, or an adapter to use a switching power supply.

also, the pacman pcb, if its anything like my super pac man, uses mounting rails on and feet. but I don't think it really matters.

if you need parts, those are pretty easy to get.
try these places:

www.mikesarcade.com
http://thearcadeboneyard.com/
www.therealbobroberts.net

the boneyard is the easiest place to find stuf like harness, brackets,etc. he has a pac man harness on there now for about 25 bucks.

if you don't care about being all original, get a switching power supply, a JAMMA harnes and a pac man to jamma adapter. I have an adapter unused if you go that route. you can have it for 20 bucks. I got it from mike's arcade for 35. I ended up selling my ms pac board so i never used it.
now that I think about it I may have at least part of an original pac power supply too. or all. I'm not sure.
I have a gutted pac man cab i've been restoring and there were some bits left in the bottom I removed and don't need. its at least a transformer and some fuse blocks.

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:07:27 am »
I don't necessarily care about having all original internals as long as it works the same.  I will be receiving an original wiring harness and transformer though. 

I was looking on the sites you mentioned, but what did you mean by "I don't think it really matters" for the mounting rails and feet?  Did you mean that I don't necessarily need a certain kit?  Could I maybe just get some sets of PCB feet like:

and no rails, and that would work?  (I can't even seem to find Pac-man rails.)  From pics it does look like the main PCB has holes on the corners which would work with mounting feet, but it's hard to be 100% sure the whole thing would be stable that way until I have it. 

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:16:02 am »
Probably not the cheapest but in terms of pacman related things I'd check out www.twobits.com.

http://www.pac-man.com/pacman/upright/
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:30:52 am »
sorry, I meant it probably doesn't really matter weather you use rails or mounting feet. as long as the board is mounted and stable.

the only caveat is if you ever want to pull out the board its a lot easier to slide it out of the rails than unscrew feet.

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »
OK.  The feet are tons cheaper than the rails ($1.75 vs. $13) so undoubtedly I will try to use those.  Not gonna be sliding boards out and in, probably getting him set up with Pac-Man and then installing the 96-in-1 Pac-Man PCB later, and that will likely be it.  Thanks for the info!

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »
don't buy reproductions from two bits. they have the official license to reproduce the pacman artwork to replace marquee's, cpo's and such, but they have a terrible reputation, and the quality of their stuff is sub par. and they are more expensive.

they know their stuff isn't as good as it should be and they don't care. don't give them your money.

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:16:39 am »
Yeah Twobits price for most things seems loony.  Probably will just get some mounting feet from boneyard.