Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Refresh my memory on prepping CP for Happs 3" Trackball Installation  (Read 1975 times)

Bambam1963

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
Hi Folks,

It's been many years since my last build so I am a bit rusty on how to mount my Happs 3" trackball to the underside of my 3/4" mdf panel.  I have cut out the 3" hole, but can't recall what I did to mount the unit under the panel surface.  Any help would be grateful.

John
I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Re: Refresh my memory on prepping CP for Happs 3" Trackball Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:44 am »
Are you using their mounting plate?  The size of the entirity of the Happs 3" trackball means you typically need to do one of the following:
  • If using their mounting plate, you can cut a hole larger enough out of the wood to fit the whole assembly with a jig saw.
  • If you don't use their mounting plate typically you would cut the 3" hole, then route in until just as much as the Lip is left of the rest of the trackball unit to fit into the wood.
  • If you are using a plexi/lexan covering then you can do the same as the first step but then the track ball lip would be up against the plexi/lexan.

If you do the second/third option people have used metal strap to secure it to the CP.  Personall I always prefer their mounting plate.  Easy installation but I don't use plexi/lexan for CP's anymore ever.  If you do, their mounting plate won't really work.

I can show you pictures of my template with the hole already cut for the below mounting plate if you'd like.

Bambam1963

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:16:43 pm »
Thanks, I think I will go with option 2. If I mess it up, I can revert to the plate.
I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

dzorbas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2020, 09:22:00 am
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:43 pm »
I used option 2 and 4 carriage bolts. If you check the link to the pictures of my build you will notice that I built 2 different CPs. The second CP has the Happ 3" trackball.

Link to pictures of my build - https://plus.google.com/photos/104356071213853236606/albums/5770467803890370065

Dino Z.