Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED buttons with custom labels  (Read 4946 times)

DJMattB241

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 06:39:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
LED buttons with custom labels
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
Hi all,

I'm rounding the corner on completing my first cabinet (just a bartop, from the wonderful and helpful HaRuMaN), but need a couple more ideas to push me over the edge.

For the front of the cab, I wanted some LED buttons with labels on them. I already have one for 1p and 2p, which is great, but I need a few more buttons with custom imprints.

Paradise Arcade sold me the 1P and 2P, but I can't seem to find them or any other labeled buttons.

So... does anyone have any suggestions for LED buttons with custom labels? I'd get plain buttons and just put my own labels in them, but can you just print them on paper and cut them out?

I'm just spitballing here. Anyone have any ideas? Or stores?

Thank you! This forum has been immeasurably helpful!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:46:22 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: LED buttons with custom labels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:57:40 pm »
You can see and download the inserts that I created (pics and PDF) here and the image source files are available here so you can edit them as desired.

I recommend using clear adhesive labels like Avery #8665 or #18665.

Also be careful when using superglue to keep the diffuser from turning -- you don't want this to happen.   :banghead:

Scott

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 01:35:30 am »
There seems to be a market for properly done labeled button tops. I picked up some P1-P4 concave plungers for my IL buttons from PAS as well. i wouldn't mind figuring out how the process to label these was done, and then adapting it to make buttons with Coin, Exit, Pause, etc..

Its gotta be like a paint, or a silkscreen. How is it done on the millions of computer and cellphone keyboards?

I really don't know what my hatred of avery labels is....

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:53:19 pm »
I am finishing up a 4 player control panel and originally was going to put a plunger for virtual pinball on the CP, but since i'm going to do a separate virtual pinball machine, i'm just going to do a launch button instead. I was going to do a launch button, but they are too big. http://www.monsterarcades.com/product-page/pinball-launch-button

I'm now considering just using one of my extra translucent buttons but wanted to add a cool launch label to it.  Is this possible with this kind of button, or does anyone have any other ideas for a smaller button and a label?  Thanks  This is the extra button I have.  https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/controls/buttons/buttons-il-industrias-lorenzo/il-psl-cv-transparent/1449_il-pslcv-translucent-white

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 05:18:43 pm »
I'm now considering just using one of my extra translucent buttons but wanted to add a cool launch label to it.  Is this possible with this kind of button
It is possible if:
  1. You make your own diffuser (milk jug plastic works) or clear support disc for the label so it doesn't fall through the spring.
  2. You don't mind that the label is only 0.625" diameter -- labels for the buttons below are 0.840" diameter.

does anyone have any other ideas for a smaller button and a label?
1. Regular convex LED buttons like these or these.

2. "Sawed-off volcano" convex LED buttons like these or these.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:21:08 pm by PL1 »

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:10:45 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 12:57:12 pm »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 06:48:07 pm »
Would this work?  I wonder if it would hold up:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterslide-decal-Sheets-Package-Inches/dp/B01N4I82JC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
IIRC some guys used the inkjet version of those to print scaled-down NES labels for the Retroflag case.

They should work as long as you install the decal on the diffuser where it is protected by the cap.

If you install it on top of the cap with no protection between the printed surface and fingers, I doubt that it would last long.

If you're looking for another laser media option, Office Depot / OfficeMax carries Avery 15665.

Scott