Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (I) Fix(ed)-it Felix Wrapper  (Read 58025 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: (I) Fix(ed)-it Felix Wrapper
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:48 am »
And I have another question besides the ones from above:
Does anybody know how to do that "superfix" where Felix spins around and fixes everything?

You have to eat a second pie while still flashing from the first and the do the dragon punch combo from SFII. Simple.

You are kidding, right? Or is it not possible in the game? That move is shown in the movie.

I am. It's not.  ;D

Bambam1963

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 07:44:18 am »
Ok so over the course of this weekend I fixed the official Disney version of Fix-it Felix Jr. that was leaked this spring.  Fullscreen on horizontal monitors is now possible as well as all of the configuration options you would expect and the ability to save high scores!

You can download the latest version on my website (click the Dragon King logo below)

Preview:

I do not see a link??
Enjoy!
I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 03:44:06 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 08:18:30 am »
[...]
Changing the keys doesn't work for me :( It saves, shows my changes when reopening it but it doesn't change any controls ingame.
Second Problem: Escape doesn't really end the game only turn the game window black and end fullscreen. I still have to click x to end felix. How to end it?
And I have no bezel, how did you get that one in (I read the Readme and have the file but it isn't shown)?

I don't want those questions to be overread. I hope this is not too pushy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:19 pm »
*sigh*

If this were a huge thread I could see this question, but it's only two pages long.  Go to the first page, read what Denhomer posted. 

This is a 'Merican wrapper for a 'Merican game based on a 'Merican film.  So you need a US keyboard or equivalent.  Changing your region settings might fix it, I don't know, but there isn't a whole lot I can do save loading up the game in every single region and finding the equivalent keycodes for each one, which I'm not doing.

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
*sigh*

If this were a huge thread I could see this question, but it's only two pages long.  Go to the first page, read what Denhomer posted. 

This is a 'Merican wrapper for a 'Merican game based on a 'Merican film.  So you need a US keyboard or equivalent.  Changing your region settings might fix it, I don't know, but there isn't a whole lot I can do save loading up the game in every single region and finding the equivalent keycodes for each one, which I'm not doing.

OK, sorry for that and thanks a lot for your answer. I guess this would break my other games. Is there any chance to get the source to try to fix that myself? I thought this would only change the codes from the controls and not the functionality of the whole thing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:47 pm »
Sure I'll post the source to anyone that wants it.  It's just doubtful anyone is still running visual basic 6 at this point.  ;) 

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:02 am »
Sure I'll post the source to anyone that wants it.  It's just doubtful anyone is still running visual basic 6 at this point.  ;)

So post it to me please. I am not sure if I can get it to work with other languages but sure I will give it a try(will have no time until the middle of next week).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:35 pm »
Ok, but be warned, the wrapper is kludged together from pieces of Troubleshooter 2 and some examples I found on the net.  The source is by no means pretty or easy to follow.

People seem awful demanding of something I considered a side project and maybe spent an afternoon's worth of time on total. 

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:02 pm »
Can't speak for anyone else but I'd like to thank you for all your hard work on this Howard.
Was able to get it working and change the inputs to use joystick and buttons.
My kids love it!!

:notworthy:

:cheers:

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 02:53:36 am »
Ok, but be warned, the wrapper is kludged together from pieces of Troubleshooter 2 and some examples I found on the net.  The source is by no means pretty or easy to follow.

People seem awful demanding of something I considered a side project and maybe spent an afternoon's worth of time on total.

Thanks a lot. I had a look into it but I didn't find out what the problem is yet, dunno if I will. No keycodes are hardcoded and all keycodes are recognized and saved in the settings. For the games they are read out from the same file without looking into any keymap/language settings from the operating system or whatsoever. Perhaps this is an issue with one of the visual basic functions used but really I don't know. Never was much into VB either sadly :(

Just to let you know don't think you showed it for nothing and still thanks for the work anyways Howard!

If I find anything in the future, I will post it here.

arquillos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:40:35 pm
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 07:08:05 am »
Thank you very much Howard!
   IŽll try it ASAP!!!

pinballsmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 01:52:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »
I have my Disney-made cab and my repro cab next to each other and they work pretty much the same. Thanks again for doing this. I'm scared as hell to mess with the computer in the Disney machine.

mumbles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:20:01 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2014, 01:40:52 am »
thanks very much for all your hard work on this howard.

I just have one question. I have it set to full screen and the bezel takes up the left and right of the screen like in your preview video but the game when it loads doesn't take up the rest of the screen like it does in your video preview. for the life of me I can't get that to work after playing with all the settings. Any ideas as it's very frustrating???

colonelsnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2022, 07:56:26 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:43 pm »
About 50% of the time it is opening windowed instead of full screen. Is there a settings
 I am overlooking that prevents this?

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:06 am »
Does anybody know how to configure this in Mala frontend?  I've assigned it to other emulator and pointed the roms to my folder that has the exe in it, I've got a marquee, but I'm guessing that should be named the same as the exe file huh?  Anyway the upshot of it is that I can't find the game in the list of games, so i've quite clearly done something wrong.

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 05:20:08 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:56:46 pm by Louis Tully »

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 08:07:40 am »

I just made a separate folder for that games .exe and all associated files. All artwork(snaps, marquee, etc...) has to have the same name for MALA to pick it up. I made separate folders for snap and marquee as well.

I don't know if this is useful, but here are a few shots of the config and end result

http://imgur.com/a/GC2sr

Hope that helps somehow.  :cheers:  Good luck. Howard's done some sweet business with this.  :notworthy:

Thanks, that's awesome.  I'll have a look at this later.  I'd not seen these photos, should help a great deal. 

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:12 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:56:51 pm by Louis Tully »

vectoralpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2015, 08:20:30 pm
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »
thank you
I hope to put this in a custom mini cab (Cabaret)

frostyfire03530

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2014, 05:13:09 am
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 04:09:01 am »
@Howard_Casto: Some quick question about your wrapper:
  • For some reason I feel like the button inputs are laggy. (EDIT: I loaded it up to see if I could get more details on this. It's not an issues with Felix's movement, just his fix and jump keys. Something else that is wrong for some reason is that when held, he will repeatedly fix or jump depending on what key is held. I hope this sheds some light into the issue I've found.) Has anyone else reported this?
  • I was wondering what tool you were using to look at the code ( I was using ollydbg)?
  • When I have the settings set to horizontal rotation and 100% zoom, the pixels aren't rendered correctly. You had mentioned that you run this in 1024x768, is that required (my lappy runs at 1366x768)?
  • You had mentioned you were looking for the 5000 points to extra life, are you still looking for the memory address? Was there anything else you wanted to have feature wise I can help with?
Love the work you've done thus far! I'd like to link your wrapper to the hyperspin forum where I've gathered other data about the game, if that's all right with you of course.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:13:09 am by frostyfire03530 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:06 pm »
You probably are using and keyboard or keyboard encoder and have the buttons held down.  Notice what happens in notepad when you hold a key down.  ;)  If you turn the key repeat off for that particular keyboard it should fix it.  It's entirely possible there might be a delay though if you have a system with lower resources or a lot of things are running in the background.  I'm sending the keys via direct memory writes afterall. 

I'm using cheat engine.  I search for memory addresses as the game is running and any code I look through is pure assembly via cheat engine's interpreter.  In all honesty though the game is butt simple, so looking through code isn't particularly necessary to alter things. 

You would have to take a snapshot for me to tell what is going on, but the answer is no, there aren't any resolution limitations (although just by the way the game is made, it does seem to have trouble with really low resolutions). 

Yes I never found the 1up counter, but honestly I'm on other projects atm.  If you want to look for it knock yourself out though.... I'm just not sure when I'll get around to implementing it. 

Again feel free, but you might want to make it clear that I'm not a member of the hyperspin forums, I don't visit them and if someone asks me for help over there they are essentially talking to themselves.  ;)

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 12:41:33 pm »
... I'd like to link your wrapper to the hyperspin forum where I've gathered other data about the game, if that's all right with you of course.

There's already a thread there dedicated to this wrapper (that's actually where I first discovered it). I've also requested (twice) that it be added to the list of modifications in the official Fix it Felix Jr. thread and was pretty much ignored.

Hopefully you have better luck then me  :P

Don't get me wrong, there are some great, super-helpful people over on the HS forums but I've found most of them just dole out elitist snobbery when you ask questions or try to share anything other than new artwork and themes.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »

Don't get me wrong, there are some great, super-helpful people over on the HS forums but I've found most of them just dole out elitist snobbery when you ask questions or try to share anything other than new artwork and themes.

I found w hyper spin that you have to pay 45$ to get the gold forum for all the hard questions answered.   I needed helpwwith a game(contra evulotion) and also once wanted a custom arcade wheel XML with all arcade mame,taito, Naomi all in one.  When I pmed someone on there they directed me to the ftp and a forum post for gold members.  have not paid bc have emumovies acct and dont need much more but seemed like easy questions.  Should have posted them here.

Sorry to go off topic Howard.  Great wrapper.

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:06 pm »
I found w hyper spin that you have to pay 45$ to get the gold forum for all the hard questions answered. 

Oh I'm a full paying Platinum member on the HS forums (and on emu movies) just because I wanted FTP access... didn't change anything  :P

If you still need help with Contra Evolution, Naomi etc. let me know (in another thread or PM so we don't further detail this one), I recently finished a full setup running Demul and TTX among other things.

//back on topic

I have a Nintendo Cab that I'm in the middle of converting to FiF the PC and hardware is already complete and  this wrapper was invaluable to get it up running the way I wanted  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »
Eh I haven't had a pleasant experience with the front-end itself or the forums.  If you guys like it that's great and you should use it, but I'll pass.  I think I'll keep using all my free stuff tyvm.  ;)

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 12:19:41 pm
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 04:14:17 pm »
Hi everyone,

I recently updated my computer and I was setting up my Felix game. I am getting strange lines around the text and characters when I load it up that I never had before. It looks like thin lines around text and Wreck it Ralph. Sometimes when I change the Bezel percentage it goes away, but I cant seem to lock down on anything. Any ideas?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 650Ti
intel i5 4670k Quad

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:40 pm »
We would need a snapshot to be certain, but it sounds like it's just scaling badly.  Strange artifacts are usually a symptom of scaling to a non-integer scale.  If you can post some pics maybe I can confirm, but as of now I'm unsure how to fix something like that without more info.

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »
Here's what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help so far

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2014, 05:30:39 pm »
I'm a little ill right now, but I'll do my best. 

Notice where it seems to draw a line where the end of the texture block is?  That is typically a scaling problem.  The solution, unfortunately isn't always clear cut.  There is a long-standing error in d3d that can cause similar errors in certain scaling situations.  It has to do with rounding errors during the blending process so the first thing you might want to try is to ensure anti-aliasing and all of that stuff is turned off in your video card settings.  If that doesn't work then it could be the game itself and it's crude scaling not liking your monitor resolution.  Play with the bezel settings as you mentioned before.  You can probably get away with an imperceptible scale change and it'll be just enough as the errors seem to only be one pixel high.  You can also change the desktop resolution prior to launch of course... that might help as well.

Now all of that being said, I have also seen similar render errors on an old ati card.  The problem was a combination of being underpowered (needed a bigger power supply) and having wonky drivers.  How it would do me is the first thing loaded would have render errors.  If I exited the game and started it up again, the errors would be gone.  If the artifacts you are seeing are intermittent like that then it's probably a video card issue. 

Thanks for the distraction man... I really needed it today.

'

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
Sorry to hear you're under the weather. I have another distraction for you. Yes, you were right, the anti-aliasing on my Nvidia was ON, so turned it off and voila, no artifacts. The issue I have now is with your latest updated FIFJ, I cant seem to get the game to center top to bottom on my screen. My monitor is set at 1360x768. About two versions ago I had no issues whatsoever, but now I cant seem to change this (see pic)

The game is centered, but smaller than my window. It used to be able to block the white in the middle from top to bottom. I changed the ms from 50 to 200, but nothing seems to be doing it. I also noticed that if I change the cfg. file instead of using the settings.exe, the changes stay put. Any ideas? Take your time to reply, if the Nyquil hasnt knocked you out yet. Not the end of the world if I dont get it running today. Thanks again!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 11:01:05 pm »
See the "delay for resize" option?  Make that higher.  It looks like it's scaling fine but it's moving the window before the game fully loads (and the game moves itself at one point).

mkarabinus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2019, 04:26:46 pm
  • Building my first MAME cabinet
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 08:28:40 am »
Newbie here...

This is exactly what i was hoping someone has created.  GREAT WORK! 

It runs PERFECTLY!!!!!!

bikeguychicago

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2018, 08:32:20 pm
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »
I tried running Fixed it Felix full-screen on an vertically-oriented 1280x1024 LCD with the bezel disabled and found that the screen is still being shifted down and to the right as if the bezel was still being shown. Is there something else I need to do to just get the game to fill the screen?

Thanks!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 05:35:51 pm »
I tried running Fixed it Felix full-screen on an vertically-oriented 1280x1024 LCD with the bezel disabled and found that the screen is still being shifted down and to the right as if the bezel was still being shown. Is there something else I need to do to just get the game to fill the screen?

Thanks!

This thread may be of use to you, sounds like a problem a couple others are having. If it is the same issue, it's not Howard's wrapper causing the problem. At this point, nobody seems sure. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140671.0.html

jeffsgames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 10:27:59 am
    • Jeff's Classic Arcade
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2014, 10:46:16 am »

Thanks!

This thread may be of use to you, sounds like a problem a couple others are having. If it is the same issue, it's not Howard's wrapper causing the problem. At this point, nobody seems sure. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140671.0.html

That's the exact problem I'm having (see other thread).  Howard has an idea that might "fix" the issue that he's going to look into.
http://www.jeffsgames.com

Current: Donkey Kong (with D2K), Pac-Man (96in1), Berzerk, Joust, Rushing Heroes, Turbo, Phoenix, Space Inv Dx, Capcom Bowling, miniMAME, NBA Jam, Mr. Do (48in1),  Monaco GP

Projects: PP2 UR, MAME UR, Tron UR

Wanted: Nintendo Cab

For Sale: See my site

jeffsgames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 10:27:59 am
    • Jeff's Classic Arcade
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2014, 08:31:14 am »
Quick update.  I figured out how to make this work.  I wrote a batch file that would rotate the Windows desktop using iRotate's command line parameters, launch FIFJ rotated, then rotate windows back via iRotate.  It worked GREAT!

Howard gave me the idea and I want to thank him for it!
http://www.jeffsgames.com

Current: Donkey Kong (with D2K), Pac-Man (96in1), Berzerk, Joust, Rushing Heroes, Turbo, Phoenix, Space Inv Dx, Capcom Bowling, miniMAME, NBA Jam, Mr. Do (48in1),  Monaco GP

Projects: PP2 UR, MAME UR, Tron UR

Wanted: Nintendo Cab

For Sale: See my site

Gamechanger32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 09:48:55 am
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:38 pm »
i cant find where to download this.... :(

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:34 pm »
i cant find where to download this.... :(

IF you mean the wrapper - Go Here (howards site) http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?category=16 - then on the right hand side of the screen scroll down to Fix it Felix Jr and click on (I) Fix(ed)-it Felix Jr. 5.3 and the download screen will come up.

If you mean the Fix it felix rom download - we can't supply links to Roms on this site so you'll have to check Google for that.

bikeguychicago

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2018, 08:32:20 pm
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2014, 11:36:27 pm »

Thanks!

That's the exact problem I'm having (see other thread).  Howard has an idea that might "fix" the issue that he's going to look into.

Has Howard made any progress on a fix for this issue? I referred to the other thread referenced above. Based on suggestions in that thread, I was able to get FFJ to appear full-screen without the offset when the zoom was set to 200%. However, when doing so, the game slowed to a crawl.

I can run the stock EXEs with full-screen enabled and the game fills the screen and runs at full screen. However, in doing so, I am still limited to the stock behavior (alternate keys, no high score save, etc.).

I really hope a fix for this can be found as I'd like it to be one of the showcase games of my MAME cab.

Thanks for the great work and all the help that I've gotten thus far.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2014, 07:25:37 am »
Yeah I don't think Howard is fixing anything at the moment unless you're in direct contact with him considering he flamed out two months ago and hasn't been back since.