Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox360 Speed Wheel $15 at Groupon  (Read 4465 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:29:41 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:40 am
Re: Xbox360 Speed Wheel $15 at Groupon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »
So..  good price, but you can't connect it to a PC without some hacking I think.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »
So..  good price, but you can't connect it to a PC without some hacking I think.

I'm guessing it shows up as a regular controller.
The issue with xbox360 wheels is that they work, but there isn't a pc driver to support real ffb.
This one only has rumble, so it will probably work.

Haven't tried it myself though and probably won't since I don't have the wireless dongle.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »
As far as I know.

You can plug a Xbox 360 controller FOR WINDOWS into a Windows PC and it'll work (it comes with the drivers and the receiver).

The XBox 360 controller that comes with the XBox?  ya..  not so much. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »
As far as I know.

You can plug a Xbox 360 controller FOR WINDOWS into a Windows PC and it'll work (it comes with the drivers and the receiver).

The XBox 360 controller that comes with the XBox?  ya..  not so much.

If its made by Microsoft, its plug and play with a pc. BUT the wireless ones need a receiver that you can get on amazon/ebay for about $15. It is a 3rd party xbox controller, it will likely not work.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »
I have a wireless adapter that recognizes my xbox 360 gamepad, but not the wheel.  I'd be super interested in hearing success stories.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »
I like it for the 360, works great with Forza Horizon especially. I am tempted to get a second but can't think of any 360 games that support it that have local multiplayer. It is a well built controller, though. Hmm... $15....
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 10:30:57 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
Speaking as a 7 year video game store manager here.  ANY wired 360 controller will work, plug and play, in windows.  The wireless tech that the 360 uses is proprietary and Microsoft has only licensed it once and that was for a guitar, so if it's wireless and not a guitar, it's Microsoft.  That means it will connect through the PC dongle.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »
Speaking as an actual gamer that actually has attempted to run some of the hardware, that just isn't so. 

Yes Microsoft uses a proprietary wireless protocol, but what of it?  On the pc end of things they seldom offer support for anything other than the gamepad.  I know the old 360 wheel technically worked on the pc, unless you wanted to use any form of force-feedback.  There have been other devices that has run into issues as well. 

The speed wheel WILL work on the pc via the dongle, BUT the default drivers map the gas and brake to one big axis.  You'll have to use xpadder or something similar to fix this, which may or may not be a big deal to you depending upon your setup. 

Don't misunderstand, I'm not picking on you, I just don't want you spreading falsehoods.  Microsoft hasn't been real good about supporting devices that don't show up as a gamepad on the pc, so you can't simply buy an accessory and expect it to work, at least not fully. 

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:06 pm »
I said it will connect, I didn't say it would map in a way that makes sense for our purposes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:38:52 am »
I said it will connect, I didn't say it would map in a way that makes sense for our purposes.

The way your post was worded, you alluded to the fact that it would work.  I'm not trying to pick a fight, but reading your statement would make a person think you are saying any wireless 360 device would work on the pc, which is simply not the case.  "Connecting" as you put it, is not the same as working.

What you are saying, with all due respect, is outright wrong.  I mean I already gave an example (the old 360 wheel) that does NOT work on the pc.  Force-feedback is not supported and therefore it doesn't work.  What you'll find if you actually use this stuff is that most controllers that don't show up as a gamepad have crippled functionality at best. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 09:39:55 am »
Oddly enough and counter to what I first believed, having the accelerator and brake show up as one axis is the standard for PC games and emulators.
Most work with either.  Most older games only work with them combined.
The one oddball that requires separate pedals is M2emulator, which is probably the most important one.  :-\

I had my pedals set to separate and made Logitech profiles to switch it to combined when needed.
After setting up around 50 games and a half dozen emulators in one week, it's become clear to me that doing it the other way around would result in a lot less profiles being needed.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:01:26 pm »
What you are saying, with all due respect, is outright wrong.  I mean I already gave an example (the old 360 wheel) that does NOT work on the pc.  Force-feedback is not supported and therefore it doesn't work.  What you'll find if you actually use this stuff is that most controllers that don't show up as a gamepad have crippled functionality at best.

Um, not so.  Does the steering wheel turn the car in your game?  BAM!  Then it works.  Just because the FFB is pooched does not mean that the wheel doesn't work, it means the FFB doesn't work.  Amazingly enough, you turn the wheel, the computer recognizes a change in a control axis, you push the pedal, the same thing happens.  Just because it doesn't happen to map properly to the game you are playing in the way you want doesn't mean it's broken. 

Once upon a time, certain games would ONLY work with certain endorsed controllers.  That does not mean that every other controller is suddenly broken because they don't work in those games.  Oh, and by the way, "Technically works", by definition means "works".

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
Eh, I ended up getting (a second) one. Realized that Forza 3 does split screen and has a turning-only accessibility mode my daughter (5) will probably love.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:46:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:39 am »
Anyone cracked one of these open and taken a look at the PCB?