Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simple and slim monitor rotation.  (Read 6555 times)

WakiMiko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
Simple and slim monitor rotation.
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »
I completed the monitor rotation for the cabinet I'm working on (I'll make a project thread eventually, when i start putting things together).

This one uses a linear actuator (thanks to BadMouth's Neo Geo project for the inspiration) to turn a 21.3'' LCD monitor. The actuator has build in limit switches and moves exactly 10cm which also is the distance of the VESA100 mounting holes.

I used a longer M4 screw in one of the holes and put it through a 6mm aluminum pipe where the actuator is "grabbing" it.

In order to turn the monitor 90 degrees, the actuator pushes/pulls "the hole" to the location of the next hole.

The mounting bracket I'm using was salvaged from the original monitor stand. Fortunately, the pivot part was really easy to remove and is quite slim, giving the whole project a flat profile.
The rotation mechanism barely adds any thickness:

I loosened the nut for the pivot a little in order to make it easier to turn. Originally, it required quite some force to turn so the monitor would stay in place, but that isn't needed anymore because the actuator prevents it from moving.

Video of the rotation in action:

Note that I'm using a 9V battery for testing purposes in this video. The actuator is rated for 12V so it will be faster on a real power source (about 3-4s in my tests).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:56:34 pm by WakiMiko »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
Re: Simple and slim monitor rotation.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »
That's brilliant and just what I'm looking for for my next cab - rotating monitor in a slimline cab. How much for the parts?

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
That's brilliant and just what I'm looking for for my next cab - rotating monitor in a slimline cab. How much for the parts?

I used this motor controller from Pololu and this actuator (the 100mm one) from Gimson Robotics. I ordered the controller through a European Pololu reseller to "save" on shipping and tax.

Living in Europe is expensive. :P Maybe there are cheaper actuator shops around here, but I didn't find any.

If you live in America, getting all parts from Pololu will be cheaper I guess, e.g. this actuator: http://www.pololu.com/product/2344

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:14:53 am »
Cheers Waki - definitely a solution for next cab. Just need to finish this one first... :)

Europe (UK here) IS expensive for us cab builders, isn't it!? Don't get me started on trackball plates...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:07 am »
Nice.  I think you've distilled the concept down to it's most basic form (which is more elegant).  :cheers:

Does that monitor have the VESA mount centered with the screen?
If so, you got lucky. 
If not, I've actually considered making it off center on purpose and having it shift toward P1 when going vertical.

Looking forward to the build thread.

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:35 am »
Nice.  I think you've distilled the concept down to it's most basic form (which is more elegant).  :cheers:

Does that monitor have the VESA mount centered with the screen?
If so, you got lucky. 
If not, I've actually considered making it off center on purpose and having it shift toward P1 when going vertical.

Looking forward to the build thread.

Yes, I got lucky with this monitor, the VESA mount is exactly in the center.

That off center idea is pretty good, but I wonder how much additional space you would need between the monitor and the left cabinet side so the monitor edge doesn't hit the side while it's rotating.

Also, I'm thinking about remounting the actuator on the other side (right side when standing in front of the cabinet) so the monitor rotates counter-clockwise because that's the default (and sometimes only) TATE direction for a lot of shmups. It won't be an issue with MAME though as it allows you to rotate in both directions.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:58 am »
Also, I'm thinking about remounting the actuator on the other side (right side when standing in front of the cabinet) so the monitor rotates counter-clockwise because that's the default (and sometimes only) TATE direction for a lot of shmups. It won't be an issue with MAME though as it allows you to rotate in both directions.

Yeah, counter-clockwise is best.  The taito type-x games and the Naomi games on Demul or Makaron both work that way.
IIRC, there were only a few oddballs that didn't and they were in MAME.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:33 pm »
Hmmm... so would you absolutely have to use a monitor with a center placed vesa mount? Can't do the mechanics in my head for one mounted above or below....

I'm gonna be looking for a 24" monitor - what make and model is yours, Waki?

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 06:05:03 pm »
I prefer a dedicated cab for verts and a separate one for horizontal games, but this is really neat. I could see myself changing my mind on this matter. Great Job

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:54 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys!

It's a EIZO FlexScan S2100 (http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/s2100/) that I picked up used on Ebay. With 21.3 inches this was the biggest 4:3 LCD I found.

It uses a VA panel which has really nice viewing angles. Theres also a newer model out by EIZO (S2133) with an IPS panel but it's way too expensive.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:58:16 pm by WakiMiko »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:21 am »
Whoa - quick scout showed these to be expensive! Not my normal £80 jobs from ebay!

Sooo... there must be a way to achieve the same result from a non-centered vesa mount, right? Maybe place the base of the actuator on a slider to allow lateral movement too?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:47 am »
Nice clean implementation for rotation.   Looks as good as it gets.   :applaud: :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:16:34 am »
Sooo... there must be a way to achieve the same result from a non-centered vesa mount, right? Maybe place the base of the actuator on a slider to allow lateral movement too?

....or you could just make an adapter plate that centers the vesa mount with the screen.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:21 am »
oh yeah! duh... it must be the paint fumes...

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:40 am »
Nice work. Simple is always better.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »
The Dell 2001fp is a 20" with centered VESA and can be found for reasonable $.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.Xdell+2001fp&_nkw=dell+2001fp&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Nice work on the rotation WakiMiko.

It would be great if something like this were available in kit form.

Jason
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:07:41 am by DGP »
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

mmg1design

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2016, 03:22:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 01:53:18 am »
This is a cool way of doing this. I'm going to give this a try... looks like there are only 3 more actuators in stock (at the website you mentioned). Thanks!

Instruction Cards for Street fighter games and other fighting genre. Download Here

dluxpnw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 03:51:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »
First off, awesome stuff. I've got the same setup and it'd running fine within the software from pololu. Is there a sample script available for linear actuators? All I'm finding is for servos.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 12:02:04 am »
Hmmm... so would you absolutely have to use a monitor with a center placed vesa mount? Can't do the mechanics in my head for one mounted above or below....

24" is widescreen, everything will be wrong, it makes no sense to install hardware rotation on a monitor that is the wrong aspect ratio. If you want something bigger than the 19-21" range with an LCD then you need to install a larger monitor vertically instead and skip the rotation.

Also, the vast majority of 19-21" 4:3 monitors are actually 5:4. The difference is much slighter than 4:3 vs 16:9, but it is there.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.