Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HyperSpin Tutorial - Work in progress  (Read 26304 times)

lisowskikevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:49:55 pm
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
Re: HyperSpin Tutorial - Work in progress
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 06:47:18 pm »
I had it working on my cab for a while but I haven't set it up again since I decided to rebuild... supermodel is kind of a pain to get  setup on it's own but there wasn't anything remarkable about getting it working within HS/HL. What about it exactly is giving you problems?

Sorry I'm just getting to this now! I was just trying to wrap my mind around setting up an emulator from the command prompt. I installed model 2 no prob but I need to take another whack at it. I'll give it a try before I bug you guys again.

Thanks for the reply though!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:50:03 pm by lisowskikevin »

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 12:44:12 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:06 am »
Now I understand why people give up on trying to setup HyperSpin. I mean, having to setup Git for a front end is just mental :dizzy: The whole thing reads like a major WTF.

No disrespect to the work you have done, as I am sure many will find it very helpful.

FWIW, git is no longer required.  The installer is now a direct download from HyperLaunch.net

http://www.hyperlaunch.net/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
Now I understand why people give up on trying to setup HyperSpin. I mean, having to setup Git for a front end is just mental :dizzy: The whole thing reads like a major WTF.

No disrespect to the work you have done, as I am sure many will find it very helpful.

FWIW, git is no longer required.  The installer is now a direct download from HyperLaunch.net

http://www.hyperlaunch.net/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

That's good to know.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:38:59 pm
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »
I wasn't aware of that either.  Good to know!

...but how does it get updated?    GIT handed the update process.

otsep

• Offline Offline
HyperSpin Tutorial - Work in progress
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 10:03:37 pm »
Supposedly they're updating the download location periodically.  When I did my install this week I used git out of habit.

I'll put together an archive of the install configured with the standard emus(ROM free of course) if anyone is interested.  Right now I've added MAME, NES &Genesis so far and I plan to add a few more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember Wheaton's Law

bobmoo79

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 09:06:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 05:06:18 am »
I'm sure that will be very useful for beginners, I know it would have helped me when I started out.

Hyperspin is SO CONFUSING when you're new and it's not helped by the lack of good tutorials. To me it would make it much easier for newcomers if they merged programs together. They should bring HyperHQ, HyperlaunchHQ, module updater, Hyperspin etc together into a single package. THEN they could make it very easy to set up and use, with less confusion.

Until that happens though, a 'template' standard configuration would be great.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:36 am »
Did Hyperspin 2.0 ever get released?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »
Did Hyperspin 2.0 ever get released?

Not yet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »
I think the last remark about 2.0 was in 2010. /sigh.

Before 1.3 you could get access to private betas of 1.3, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2.0 that I've found.  I've paid for the top tier memberships and haven't found anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember Wheaton's Law

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »
WTF?  I know Dazz was promoting it like it was the greatest thing ever.  I figured it came and went while I wasn't looking.  That was years ago.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
I think the last remark about 2.0 was in 2010. /sigh.

Before 1.3 you could get access to private betas of 1.3, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2.0 that I've found.  I've paid for the top tier memberships and haven't found anything.

No.  You made a donation that has perks.   You didnt buy anything. 

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 03:41:34 pm »
Actually I purchased a Platinum Membership. That's a thing to me.

Remember Wheaton's Law

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »
Yes.  Its a badge next to your name that says you're a Platinum Member of the forums.  Showing that you donated to the forums.

The perks are FTP (and HyperSync) access.  Which can be revoked at anytime.   

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 04:52:37 pm »

Yes.  Its a badge next to your name that says you're a Platinum Member of the forums.  Showing that you donated to the forums.

The perks are FTP (and HyperSync) access.  Which can be revoked at anytime.

I see your point, but I think you're reading something into my post that isn't there.   I really like HyperSpin and would gladly pay all over again.  My comments are more of an aside, not a disregard for the developers.  If the 2.0 betas were available, I'd be all over it.  Alas, I'm sure they've gotten busy with their lives as we all do.  Would it be great if 2.0 was out? Of course.  Am I going to stop using HyperSpin because the new hotness isn't here?  Nope.

Now back to the topic at hand,  I have the HyperSpin build mostly packaged up.  What do you believe would be the best method to get it out there?

Remember Wheaton's Law

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »
BadBoyBill has recently stated he is still working on the project, just slowly. 

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:35 pm »
BadBoyBill has recently stated he is still working on the project, just slowly.

Awesome!  :cheers:

Remember Wheaton's Law

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 09:59:08 am »
I'm sure that will be very useful for beginners, I know it would have helped me when I started out.

Hyperspin is SO CONFUSING when you're new and it's not helped by the lack of good tutorials. To me it would make it much easier for newcomers if they merged programs together. They should bring HyperHQ, HyperlaunchHQ, module updater, Hyperspin etc together into a single package. THEN they could make it very easy to set up and use, with less confusion.

Until that happens though, a 'template' standard configuration would be great.

The separate programs and trying to get everything setup and working for the first time was overwhelming... My biggest issue wasn't the lack of guides so much as the fact that whenever I searched for something I'd find way more outdated and no longer correct information (for older versions) that it was hard to determine if the guide I was looking at was even relevant. Honestly a big help would be if they made separate sub-forums on the HS website for each major release so that you can simply search within the proper sub forum for the version you're running and know that the information is the RIGHT information.

In any case... once I figured everything out it's actually really easy to use. I can get a whole new system up and running within minutes now.

I also used to think that it would make more sense to merge HyperSpin HyperLaunch and HyperSync but honestly it doesn't make sense to merge them. I have one system setup that doesn't use HL at all, just HS and I'd rather not lug around HL if I didn't have to. Not to mention you can also use HL with a different front end if you'd prefer not use HyperSpin. As for HyperSync, once you get into the fringe of the artwork available out there, or if you start customizing your art HyperSync becomes a whole lot less useful and in a lot of cases you DONT want to run it as it might stomp over the way you've got things setup. It's better that it's its own app so that you can more directly control when it's run and how it's run.

Honestly there are 2 things I'd love to have integrated between HS and HL that isn't there... the system names. when I add a new system to HS I'd like the system name field to act like a combo-box where I can either type what I want, or drop down select from the official names within HL... a lot of times I have to load up HL and find the module and get the system name so that I can make sure I've set it up exactly how it expects...  the other thing is HL knows which systems I've setup in HS... the least it could do is default the rom folder location to whatever I used in HS... let me change it if I want to but there's no good reason I should have to specify it twice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:03:00 am by twistedsymphony »

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:16 am »

Honestly there are 2 things I'd love to have integrated between HS and HL that isn't there... the system names. when I add a new system to HS I'd like the system name field to act like a combo-box where I can either type what I want, or drop down select from the official names within HL... a lot of times I have to load up HL and find the module and get the system name so that I can make sure I've set it up exactly how it expects...  the other thing is HL knows which systems I've setup in HS... the least it could do is default the rom folder location to whatever I used in HS... let me change it if I want to but there's no good reason I should have to specify it twice.

Those would be two killer features.

Remember Wheaton's Law

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »
Now I'm working on adding all the bezels for use in HyperLaunch.  Pretty cool stuff.

Remember Wheaton's Law

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 05:10:07 pm »

The reason this is the way it is from my understanding is because its all name matching.

So the HyperSpin wheel name needs to match the HyperLaunch name (so the script logic syncs up) and the HyperSync logic so it can match the system name XML and all the artwork.

Since, behind the scenes, HyperSpin is just loading files based on names matching.  And its CaSe SenSitiVe in some places.   :dizzy:

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 05:14:00 pm »
Since, behind the scenes, HyperSpin is just loading files based on names matching.  And its CaSe SenSitiVe in some places.   :dizzy:

Yeah, I got burned by this the first time I set it up.  It's also very particular about the naming of systems, which is a good thing.  I remember getting somewhat vexed when my media wasn't being displayed because I was trying to sync with an oddly named folder.  Good times.

Remember Wheaton's Law

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 12:01:00 pm »

The reason this is the way it is from my understanding is because its all name matching.

So the HyperSpin wheel name needs to match the HyperLaunch name (so the script logic syncs up) and the HyperSync logic so it can match the system name XML and all the artwork.

I know all that... hence why I suggested they should link the two systems in a way to remove the guesswork when creating a new wheel in HS.  :P