Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Version Of Fix It Felix Jr for an Arcade Cabinet  (Read 89552 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Best Version Of Fix It Felix Jr for an Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2013, 12:15:48 am »
It's not really something I can easily fix, and to be honest I'm not sure I would want to.  If the game/wrapper would lock up for some reason, pulling out a keyboard and pressing Esc would be an easy way to get the close button back for the game and my wrapper will close automatically as soon as the game is gone.  This is also true if you configure the game wrong and need a way to exit.   

If you are using one key to exit, it's mapped to escape.  If you are using two keys, then you don't have escape on your layout, or at least that's what common sense would dictate. 

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2013, 05:39:50 pm »
It just occured to me that I should set this up on the machine, although I wonder if it would be hard to play with an 8 way stick?  Also, how much time should I budget to install this?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »
It plays fine with a 8 way stick, especially considering I've kind of forced it into 4-way via software (at least for digital sticks).  Felix stops at each ledge, so it isn't like pac-man where if you are a little bit off you'll go in the wrong direction. 

It's surprisingly fun believe it or not.... they did a good job of making it actually feel like a classic as opposed to the current trend of giving games that play modernly a "retro look". 

I've spent the past few days getting it to work on my pac-man.... had to install a new video card and now xp is complaining I don't have .net 2.0 installed, which means I can't rotate my monitor.  So yeah it's a pain in the butt but I'm going to keep at it at least. 

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
Anybody else getting "Joystick not found" issues.  I have two different logitech gamepads hooked up to my testing bed and for the life I can't get the program to see them.

BTW Thanks Howard for the patch. 

klizine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 03:21:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2013, 11:57:33 am »
Let me preface with this. Howard, your wrappers are hands down the best! Absolutely no problems whatsoever, a fun game... except the button that i want to push to be the "fix it" button is the "r" key.  The issue with this is that the"r" button flips the screen.  Is this something that could be changed?

Thank you in advance.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2013, 12:07:09 pm »
Let me preface with this. Howard, your wrappers are hands down the best! Absolutely no problems whatsoever, a fun game... except the button that i want to push to be the "fix it" button is the "r" key.  The issue with this is that the"r" button flips the screen.  Is this something that could be changed?

Thank you in advance.

Easy change using the wrapper -- run the settiings.exe file and left click in the circled box in pic - then press the key you want it to change to and the hex code in the box will change to that key input - save changes and your set !

3matthew3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 09:19:56 am
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »
Might be a stupid question... What kinda dependencies does this game require?  I have the version mentioned in thread.  It runs fine on my win 8 PC, but running on my x64 win 7 arcade cab, it just shows a blank window and sort of locks up, never displaying the game at all.  My arcade cab is pretty bare bones stock Win 7 ultimate.

My 4yr old is dying to play this!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2013, 06:51:57 pm »
The 2008 (I believe) visual C++ dependences.  In regards to the other issue yeah I can fix that next release.  Btw guys are are responding in the wrong thread.  The wrapper thread is the one to ask questions related to the wrapper. 

klizine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 03:21:53 pm
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2013, 09:00:06 am »
Easy change using the wrapper -- run the settiings.exe file and left click in the circled box in pic - then press the key you want it to change to and the hex code in the box will change to that key input - save changes and your set !
[/quote]

Thank you for the response JDFan!  I was aware of how to change the "fix it" button is assigned to, but I was hoping to change what "r" did.  i have it assigned to a button with my ipac and was hoping to not have to change a button for every sytem just because of one game...  if any of that made sense.

3matthew3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 09:19:56 am
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2013, 11:08:33 am »
The 2008 (I believe) visual C++ dependences.  In regards to the other issue yeah I can fix that next release.  Btw guys are are responding in the wrong thread.  The wrapper thread is the one to ask questions related to the wrapper.

Still no graphics... Box is just black..  Oddly hitting the controls that I mapped to coin ext trigger a sound, like the game is running, but no graphics.  Using the ect same folder I have running properly on my main PC, strange!

Did install vc++ 2008 and .NET.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
 :notworthy:

Can't believe I missed this. Anyone got a full zip file with customizable key set-ups?
I managed to get it up running but I can't reconfigure the keys/inputs.

Thanks.

:cheers:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:31 pm »
:notworthy:

Can't believe I missed this. Anyone got a full zip file with customizable key set-ups?
I managed to get it up running but I can't reconfigure the keys/inputs.

Thanks.

There is a settings exe included in the package for doing that -- just run it and when the program comes up then left mouse click in any box and a prompt will come up saying Press any key - press the key you want to set for that setting and it will remap it - continue for all the keys and save.

If you don't have access to a keyboard for setting it you  can also edit the FIFJ.cfg file directly in notepad and enter the ascii code for the keypresses -- or post what keys you want things set to and I can set one up and upload a copy of the config file for you.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »
 :notworthy: JDFan 

Thanks my boys are nuts about this game but are only 4 yrs old so they don't got the hand of the keyboard yet.
I'm using one of those Vigo encoders but here are the inputs I'm hoping to use.

Coin=  J1 Button 0
Start= J1 Button 1
Jump=  J1 Button 2 
Fix=   J1 Button 3
Up=    J1 Y Axis -
Down=  J1 Y Axis +
Left=  J1 X Axis -
Right= J1 X Axis +

I have an old lap top that I might make into a mini Fix It Felix, in th near future if I can get the joysticks/buttons working properly. Thanks again.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2014, 07:31:50 am »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my version of this game, but I'm unable to load it up at all.  I can run it on this machine which is windows 7.  On my arcade it won't load up, which is using windows xp.  I get an error message saying application can not load and to try reinstalling the application.

edit:  Ok, I installed vc2008 and now it seems to be rotating funny with the wrapper.  Never mind, I'll have a play around with it.  Oh and it keeps crashing for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:02:07 am by ballboff »

mtnyeti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2019, 08:17:27 am
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2014, 04:35:53 pm »
I'm new to the forum, but this thread inspired me to build my fix it felix cabinet, which is all done but the monitor at this point.  Thus my dilemma, and I figured where better to go than the source.  I'm running an original sanyo CRT vertical oriented monitor in the cabinet (donkey kong), which is getting picture, but the image is shifted to the right side of the screen to the point that it is cutting off the right side of the image, and the left side has the cutoff apparent, probably 1.5 inches from the edge where it should be.  The arcade vga card shifts the resolution when booting the game down to where it needs to be, but i can't find any adjustment to bring the image to center in the screen.  Don't really know where to go next.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 10:52:39 am
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2014, 10:46:14 am »
Hi mtnyeyti, and welcome.

Are you running the official (leaked) copy of Felix? Does the problem still occur when using a regular LCD computer monitor? The reason I ask is because your problem sounds an awful lot like one some others are having. While no perfect solution has been found (or what the exact cause is) there have been some work arounds.

Check out these two threads:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140671.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135805.msg1460929.html#new

For my felix cab what I ended up doing was just using Howard's wrapper to make the game run at 200% size (but not full screen) It means the game has black all the way around it a little bit but at least it's centered. It sounds like others have had luck running Windows in a horizontal resolution but then using a batch file to just rotate the game after it's started. Good luck!

mtnyeti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2019, 08:17:27 am
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and the input.  Yes, i am running the official leaked version with Howard's :notworthy: fix / wrapper.  I tried putting my lcd into vertical mode with the same result (just pushes right ever so slightly  :banghead:.  I'll dig through these threads tonight and hopefully tinker with the sizing this weekend.  Thanks again.....I'll be sure to update if the situation improves.   

option8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2014, 04:34:42 pm
  • I CAN FIX IT!
Help getting FiFJr running under WINE
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:04 am »
After much googling and forum scraping, I finally found HowardC's wrapper and then got FiFJr running, on my wife's work PC.

At home, though, we have Macs, so I'm trying to get it running on WINE. My son is obsessed with the Wreck-It Ralph movie, and I really want him to be able to play the real game (the Flash version online is pretty janky, plus the ads are very distracting to a 4 year-old.)

Any tips on what's required to add into the WINE prefix/bottle/whatever to get it running? Will it run under XP, need .NET, VB Runtime, etc. ?

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 10:52:39 am
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:42 am »
WinXP is what Disney used in the real cabs so if the hardware can handle it, I'm sure you'll be fine. It also seems to run fine on Win7 and I've seen it on 8 as well. I don't know what runtimes you'll need. Are you building a cab? Cause if so I'd highly recommend just using a cheap PC instead of a Mac running WINE.

If you're just trying to get the game to work so your son can play on the computer, then just give it a shot and see what happens!

Bimmy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2021, 08:33:28 pm
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2015, 11:39:22 am »
I'm on the final stretch of my dedicated FIF cab and this wrapper helped a lot. Thanks for this.

But I have one hangup...

Is there a way to disable attract mode sound? I'd of course like to leave it running in my game room.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:44:05 am by Bimmy »

lowlytech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 08:12:12 am
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2015, 03:28:05 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage of running this exe version is there over playing it in MAME?  Also thanks Howard for your work on making the wrapper.  Really enjoy your work, and hope one day I will finally finish my first cabinet I have been trying to put together for a good while now..

Thanks..

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2015, 03:30:59 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage of running this exe version is there over playing it in MAME?  Also thanks Howard for your work on making the wrapper.  Really enjoy your work, and hope one day I will finally finish my first cabinet I have been trying to put together for a good while now..

Thanks..

Because it doesn't exist in MAME.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lowlytech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 08:12:12 am
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:06 pm »
Ah, that's a good reason then.  ;D  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I don't have my mame configured or ready yet and just assumed it was already in there.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »
Ah, that's a good reason then.  ;D  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I don't have my mame configured or ready yet and just assumed it was already in there.

Heh. Yeah, it's not a "real" game with a real PCB or anything like that. Howard's wrapper is the way to go!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »
I'm on the final stretch of my dedicated FIF cab and this wrapper helped a lot. Thanks for this.

But I have one hangup...

Is there a way to disable attract mode sound? I'd of course like to leave it running in my game room.

Eh... not at the moment.  I couldn't find a good value to tell me when the game is in attract mode.  The easiest workaround is to keep a multimedia keyboard in the cabinet.  Press the "mute" button when it's just sitting idle.  ;)

bryhud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2023, 07:08:24 pm
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
This has worked for me for the longest time and now when it starts the game just spins around on the monitor. On multiple PCs too. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Thanks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2017, 08:00:01 pm »
This has worked for me for the longest time and now when it starts the game just spins around on the monitor. On multiple PCs too. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Thanks!
Change the date on your computer to April 2nd

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:34 pm »
LOL  It still gets somebody every year.  April Fools!

Chagosan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2020, 05:57:14 pm
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2017, 04:08:11 pm »
@Howard my hats off to you, you're one talented person  :applaud: :applaud:  Thank you for your dedication.  8)

1-UP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2020, 06:53:22 am
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2019, 09:02:15 pm »
I know this is an old topic but I though I'd mention a problem I found with the "Fix'ed' it Felix" reworking. Somehow the code is interupting the 'fix' button press. As in, it sometimes doesn't actuate when pressed. At first I thought it was my keyboard but I've tested the regular version and this reworked version several times to be sure and the original definitely works on every press but the reworked one skips. If I'm not explaining this very well, you have to sometimes press 'fix' twice to get Felix to do his job. I just use the leaked original now because I'm 100% sure the reworked version isn't working properly. Shame because it looks great with bezel.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2019, 07:38:35 am »
I know this is an old topic but I though I'd mention a problem I found with the "Fix'ed' it Felix" reworking. Somehow the code is interupting the 'fix' button press. As in, it sometimes doesn't actuate when pressed. At first I thought it was my keyboard but I've tested the regular version and this reworked version several times to be sure and the original definitely works on every press but the reworked one skips. If I'm not explaining this very well, you have to sometimes press 'fix' twice to get Felix to do his job. I just use the leaked original now because I'm 100% sure the reworked version isn't working properly. Shame because it looks great with bezel.

Hmm, I have gotten to the kill screen with Howard's version....I never had this problem.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2019, 08:00:39 pm »
Me either, but if you have having issues with remapping then just don't remap anything.  That's the easiest fix anyway. 

1-UP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2020, 06:53:22 am
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2019, 04:33:05 pm »
Fair enough. I only mentioned it as I thought it would be of interest to a developer that there's an issue. I guess if it works for most people who've tried it, its good enough  :dunno. Personally, I can't use it because it effects gameplay. Saying "dont use it then" makes me think you don't believe the bug exists or don't care. Pointless me mentioning it really!

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 11:25:55 am
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2021, 04:26:54 pm »
Sorry for reviving this old topic. I'm almost done setting up fix it Felix but I'm having trouble with seeing high scores being saved.
Am I missing something? Do i need a hiscore.dat?

Btw, i figured out how to run the game in 240p on my DK cab:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165343.0.html?PHPSESSID=n0n0ogifigpjph9ovnj1pv2uqu

Unfortunately side scrolling for the intro sequence is still not smooth though

Edit: Fixed the High score issue. Just downloaded all assets from scratch and now it's working. I noticed this version I'm using now is missing the voice clips which I actually like. Seems more authentic this way
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:09:58 pm by mrchrister »

jimj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2022, 08:38:52 pm »
I think I ran into the same problem as you.

Using the stock FixitFelixJr.exe both Z and SPACE can be used to jump.  The wrapper's Settings.exe by default maps just SPACE to jump, but both Z and SPACE still work for jumping.  However, I noticed when using the FIFJ.exe wrapper version every few presses of Z for jump wouldn't work, whereas SPACE worked every time to jump.  I then changed the mapping (in Settings.exe) so that Z was set to jump.  With this config SPACE exhibited the problem (failed to work every 2nd or 3rd press) whereas Z now worked fine.

So it appears the problem (at least in my case) was that I was using a button that was not mapped in Settings.exe.  Therefore, the fix for you may be to simply use Settings.exe to map your "fix" button (or map it to a different button).

One thing that might contribute to this problem is that the fifj.cfg file that's included in the FIFJ5.3.zip contains mappings that are different from the "Keyboard Control" mappings you get when you click the "Rest to Default" button.  I didn't take the time to figure out how the default fifj.cfg file maps the inputs, I always reset to defaults right away.

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 04:18:30 pm
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2023, 11:23:22 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread but my Hyperspin PC with Fix it Felix Jr on it died on me so I'm having to rebuilding some things. I have everything running fine but I can't seem to find the sound samples that add in "I'm gonna wreck it", "Fix it Felix!" and "I can fix it". I've tried some Google-Fu but I'm coming up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

jimj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:55 pm »
Back in Reply #51 you can download sounds9and19.zip.  sound9.wav has "I'm gonna wreck it" and "fix it Felix".  sound19.wav is Ralph yelling.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:41:31 pm by PL1 »