Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Version Of Fix It Felix Jr for an Arcade Cabinet  (Read 89555 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Re: Best Version Of Fix It Felix Jr for an Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
I unzipped the contents of the most recent wrapper zip and placed them all in the FIFJR folder.
I can't however launch the configure FIFJ.
I get the following error (see image).

Over and above that this is great, it is launching fullscreen and with the correct orientation.

Question - Do I delete the other EXE file (the original EXE file) ?

You can see the contents of my folder also.

RPO R6V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »
Howard, I can't thank you enough for taking this on!  Been dreaming of playing this game ever since I saw the movie!  The screen still doesn't look quite right on my cab.  I can see the full text of how many credits I have (I think this was cut off before your latest version) but I still can't see the player score(s) and high score at the top.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »
I unzipped the contents of the most recent wrapper zip and placed them all in the FIFJR folder.
I can't however launch the configure FIFJ.
I get the following error (see image).

Over and above that this is great, it is launching fullscreen and with the correct orientation.

Question - Do I delete the other EXE file (the original EXE file) ?

You can see the contents of my folder also.

What I wound up doing was moving all of the files into that path ( C:\Development DON'T ERASE\ etc.) and then running the cfg file again and it worked fine -- I posted a note about it earlier in the thread. If you move the files to that folder structure the cfg exe will work not sure why some systems don't seem to have the problem but that is a work around !! (NOTE : You should be able to make the changes and then copy the files back once you no longer need to run the cfg file )

As for the original exe don't delete it the new file actually runs it still as it loads the game so it is still needed !
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:09:33 pm by JDFan »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
This is super funny.
If I click the configure FIFJ nothing happens.
If I click the FIFJ exe file the game launches and is full screen with the correct orientation.
Now when I go in MALA and point MALA to the FIFJ exe I then get the options.
So I was able to configure 5 as coin 1 & 2, but the game wont launch, just the configure options.
I make the changes and save. If I exit MaLa and click the FIFJ exe the game launches and 5 does coin it up.
But I need to be able to do this from MaLa.

If I click FixitFelixJr exe its the original version not zoomed, with the wrong orientation.

EDIT - and like a few of you said my screen is also slightly cut off @ the top.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:19:47 pm by mike boss »

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:55 pm »
There isn't anything I changed that would make the game rotate unless you set it that way.  Perhaps you have a weird setup?  Maybe a rotating monitor?  The reason I ask is because it sounds like the wrapper is treating the screen as if the left is the top and it's displaying it sideways because your monitor is set to the wrong orientation. You see, in the second release I simply centered the game.  Regardless of orientation that'll work.  On this release I had to hard-code the "top" value to -16 to compensate for the menu distortion of the gameplay area.   

I figured out how to do a freeplay mode, even changing the credits message to "FREE PLAY" via the help of a little exe patching.  I also found where the initial lives value is hiding, so I can add and option for that.  I can't seem to find the 1up multiplier.  I was wanting to add "dip switch" settings similar to the ones on Donkey Kong.

I don't have it set that way and simply changing between your releases makes it happen without changing anything else. :dunno

Not a rotating monitor and not set as such. I have been testing it on my gaming pc with a GTX680oc, Win7-64 & displayed on a 27" Asus 1920x1080p so nothing odd.

* One other thing to note... my taskbar is still present at the bottom while the game is running.

Jason
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:46:21 pm by DGP »
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »
In this first video I launch the original EXE and then the other EXE file.
This FIFJr will be later installed in my DK JR cabinet which has a vertical monitor.
So the version done by Howard is great, and will be the correct orientation when in it's final home.
You can see how both launch.

Here you can see what happens when I launch Howards EXE from Mala.

RPO R6V

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:43 pm »
Mike Boss, mine gets more than that cut off at the top.  I can't see any of those numbers at all.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 08:26:11 pm »
I can use release 1 on my cab and it centers the playfield but it's not filling the height of the screen and is a bit too wide. This is on a 26" 16:9 monitor that is 1024x768 native (great lcd screen for arcade cabs).

Nothing gets cut off on my playfield however, can see credits, hi score and number of lives.

Maybe some form of aspect ratio control could be useful..?

Jason

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »
I can use release 1 on my cab and it centers the playfield but it's not filling the height of the screen and is a bit too wide. This is on a 26" 16:9 monitor that is 1024x768 native (great lcd screen for arcade cabs).

Nothing gets cut off on my playfield however, can see credits, hi score and number of lives.

Maybe some form of aspect ratio control could be useful..?

Jason

Hmm -- not sure why but mine seems to scale properly to any resolution I set my desktop to -- just tried 1024x768 using this resized bezel and it fits fine full screen centered. Here's a copy of the bezel if you want to try the files I uploaded earlier with a 1024x768 bezel.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:15 pm »

Hmm -- not sure why but mine seems to scale properly to any resolution I set my desktop to -- just tried 1024x768 using this resized bezel and it fits fine full screen centered. Here's a copy of the bezel if you want to try the files I uploaded earlier with a 1024x768 bezel.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot (along with what you posted above).

:cheers:
Jason

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a shot (along with what you posted above).

:cheers:
Jason

No problem - Hopefully it works for you as well - let me know !

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 09:23:05 am
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:16 pm »
I noticed you guys arent using cooler sound effects. Replace 9 and 19 in your DATA file with these, and you'll get better sounds, including "Im Gonna Wreck It", Fix It Felix!, and "I Can Fix It". Thanks Howard for a cooler version of one of my favorites. I cant wait to try out the high score!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 09:12:18 pm »
I noticed you guys arent using cooler sound effects. Replace 9 and 19 in your DATA file with these, and you'll get better sounds, including "Im Gonna Wreck It", Fix It Felix!, and "I Can Fix It". Thanks Howard for a cooler version of one of my favorites. I cant wait to try out the high score!

Thanks - that was next on the list of things to get for this !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:55 pm »
mike:  Any command land text and I mean ANY command line text launches the settings mode.  So you have mala setup in such a way that it's passing some garbage to the exe.  You need to fix that. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
mike:  Any command land text and I mean ANY command line text launches the settings mode.  So you have mala setup in such a way that it's passing some garbage to the exe.  You need to fix that.

I have no idea what  I would need to do to fix this.

@ MydknyteStyrm

Thanks for uploading the sound effects, I've replaced the old ones with these.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:20 pm »
You need to learn how to actually configure your frontend then.  ;)

I can change the flag to only respond to "-settings" in subsequent releases, but this is really an issue you need to address.  There are tons of exes out there that are going to panic if you send strange stuff through the command line flags. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
You need to learn how to actually configure your frontend then.  ;)

I can change the flag to only respond to "-settings" in subsequent releases, but this is really an issue you need to address.  There are tons of exes out there that are going to panic if you send strange stuff through the command line flags.

I'll be the first to say my PC skills are lacking as I have no idea what that means. (As lame as that might sound!)

EDIT - Would this be a situation where a script would help resolve my issue ?  I've never worked with them before so I have no clue if I'm even looking in the correct direction.

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:57:13 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:53 am »
Would this be a situation where a script would help resolve my issue ?  I've never worked with them before so I have no clue if I'm even looking in the correct direction.

Thank you

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
Just make a batch file that launches Felix and point your front end towards that instead.  That'll strip off any crap coming from the front end.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:33 am »
I'll look into the batch file, thank you..

For anyone interested prior I had worked on a custom MALA menu themed after Fix It Felix Jr.
The thread (and download) are here : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131257.0.html

Not sure if there is an interest for it, but this thread seemed like a decent place to post the link.
Off topic, so stoked to get this working again I thank Howard_Casto !
I will be creating a new version of the layout with custom load screen and sound effects.
I'll post the link when done.

To anyone looking to use it enjoy.

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 06:28:28 pm »
Thanks so much Howard for making a complete working copy. I use Xpadder for the joystick controls, and it works like a charm. I decided to spruce up the bezel, and although I know its not "retro", I wanted something than garish yellow staring at me, plus I am such a fan of the film I'd rather see this. Download if you guys like! Be sure to rename it "bezel.jpg", and I had to resize the bezel in Photoshop to fit my 1360x768 resolution. This is the original 1920x1080 rez.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:08 pm »
Im back at this.
So I created a batch file, I kept one copy in the Fix It Felix Jr folder itself, the other in a folder named "batch files."
The batch file simply has the EXE name and is saved in the correct format.
However when I launch it I get the following error : Failed to execute program Felix (name of the file). Error code 2
I tried pointing MaLa to the batch file in either location in the event the location was an issue, but no luck.

Please help !

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 08:42:12 pm »
Thanks so much Howard for making a complete working copy. I use Xpadder for the joystick controls, and it works like a charm. I decided to spruce up the bezel, and although I know its not "retro", I wanted something than garish yellow staring at me, plus I am such a fan of the film I'd rather see this. Download if you guys like! Be sure to rename it "bezel.jpg", and I had to resize the bezel in Photoshop to fit my 1360x768 resolution. This is the original 1920x1080 rez.

Nice work !! -- the one I made was a quick one to get something working but this one looks like you spent a bit of time on it - really like the brick background rather than the yellow  :applaud: -- One thing I do notice now is the lady on the upper left was posted before I noticed that I had deleted the yellow in her dress (but it was placed on the yellow portion so was not noticeable but now she has a brick pattern dress - might want to copy\paste the one from the lower right up there to replace her ( I had noticed it when pasting the second time in a non yellow area so had fixed it but guess I didn't replace the original paste ! )

Had a few minutes and the original .psd so went ahead and made the correction (also cleaned up a bit of the yellow that was still showing around some of the brick background ) - Here's a copy of the bezel with those fixes if anyone wants it
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:17:43 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
Alright guys, unless somebody finds a huge bug or someone can point me to the location of the 5000 pts multiplier for the 1up's this is the final version. 

The taskbar now hides (dear god who has a taskbar showing on a cabinet?) joystick support is included, inputs are now controlled via memory manipulation so alt works, there are dip-switches, ect....

I've also included a reworked copy of the "official" bezel I found on the net.  The bezel works differently now.  It works more like mame.  When in fullscreen mode it gets cropped.  If you wish to show the full bezel, you can turn off fullscreen, set the zoom to 100% and the bezel zoom option will resize the playfield to fit.  To you guys that made pre-cropped bezels, setting the bezel zoom to 1 should make them work... or you could rework them to make full bezels, your choice. 

Anyway, there are one or two oddball things in regards to the settings and limitations and I'll be busy tomorrow so PLEASE read the readme.txt.  Also there are many new options, so your old cfg file is invalid... sorry. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:42:55 am by Howard_Casto »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 11:18:44 pm »
Howard phenominal work and I thank you.
With this newest version I am able to EASILY launch Fix it Felix Jr!
Not only that but your hacks work flawlessly, making this close on escape and the ability to match the controls to an iPac.
Thank you very much.

Kudos to your sir !

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 11:25:16 pm »
Thanks again Howard  :applaud: -- new version is setup and running fine on my desktop (using the bezel that was posted above rather than your copy of the original with game settings - Full screen unchecked and zoom level 100% with Bezel zoom set to 0.95 so that a small part of the bezel shows on top and bottom of screen and game is centered in the bezel. Also changed a few of the buttons and the settings file worked fine to reset them ! Will test on the bartop in the AM. to see about the joystick support

One question for you do the buttons all accept joystick buttons for setting (I'm using a ZD encoder so it is seen as a joystick with 12 buttons - so hopefully it does or I'll need to run joytokey in the background )

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:02 pm »
Glad it's working guys. 

Because joysticks are a bit sloppy to detect (off-centered analog sticks cause issues) you set the joystick settings manually by clicking on the drop down boxes and selecting the button number.  The default settings are optimized for a 360 gamepad.....  A and B are your action buttons, back button inserts coins, forward button presses 1p start, left shoulder is exit and if you really need it right shoulder is 2p start. 

Now hopefully I can get some time to install this on my pac-man cab this week and see how far I can get on good controls.  I think I made it to level 6 or 7 testing on my desktop?  Man those brick chunks are a ---smurfette---. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2013, 11:45:03 pm »
Ahh -- just looked at the settings box again and noticed the drop down boxes for the joystick buttons -- that pretty much clears it up (now just need to remember what button is which on the bartop - easy enough to figure out using MAME's config tab if I can't remember. Guess I should have looked at the settings program before asking and wouldn't have needed to ask  :banghead:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:19 am »
I'm hoping to get this installed on my DK JR MAME/Mala cabinet this weeking.
I'm using a inexpesive keyboard encoder from China so I suspect no issues with controls.
Only issue I'll have is I'll only have the FIX IT button......no jump.
Hoping the game is still fun. I'll also install is on my Donkey Kong MAME/Mala cabinet, but that is a horizontal monitor.

I'm guessing since all is configured as I'd like I can simply just dump the folder in place and point MaLa to it.

EDIT - I have the slight issue with the picture a lil offset. I think it could be because the resolution is too hi and the monitor is widescreen. I'm hoping when I move this downstairs to my other machine with a lower res that might resolve the display issue.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:07:06 am by mike boss »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:32:16 am
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:52 am »

Only issue I'll have is I'll only have the FIX IT button......no jump.

You're going to need a jump button after level 3 to jump over obstacles

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:51 am »
Amazing work Howard! And thanks JDFan for cleaning up my bezel, I cant believe I missed that yellow dress.

Last request, is there a way to remove the crosshair from the screen? Its barely noticeable but I would imagine once its on my cabinet I would have to use my trackball to move the crosshair offscreen. Thanks again for your amazing work!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:52 am »
Thanks Sjaak,

perhaps what I'll do is configure this game so my P1 start is jump and my P2 start is fix.
That should resolve the issue, I have a seperate ESCAPE and CREDIT button wired to the underside of my Nintendo cabinet anyway.

EDIT -   any idea what I can do to get the hi-score to display on my screen w/o getting cut off ? Not to mention resolve the small black area to the right of my screen not quite filled in.

EDIT - I can probably modify the original bezel image (used on the cabinet) leaving a space in the middle open. Would anyone be interested should I do this ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:05:31 am by mike boss »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:20 am »
Thanks Sjaak,

perhaps what I'll do is configure this game so my P1 start is jump and my P2 start is fix.
That should resolve the issue, I have a seperate ESCAPE and CREDIT button wired to the underside of my Nintendo cabinet anyway.

EDIT -   any idea what I can do to get the hi-score to display on my screen w/o getting cut off ? Not to mention resolve the small black area to the right of my screen not quite filled in.

EDIT - I can probably modify the original bezel image (used on the cabinet) leaving a space in the middle open. Would anyone be interested should I do this ?

What is the resolution of the screen you are playing it on ? -- If you go into the settings config file you can adjust the bezel size there using the bezel Zoom ( For my 1920x1080 display I'm using 0.95 for the bezel zoom and unclicked the fullscreen check box with the Zoom Level set to 100% ) with it set this way and using the custom bezel made for 1920x1080 display it sets it up to fit well.

If you want to I can adjust the bezel for you so that it should work on your res. but need to know what res you are using as the bezel needs some adjustments depending on the resolution being used ( with the Bezel included in the package it crops it and doesn't look exactly correct on wide screens) SO just post what resolution you are using and what direction (horizontal or vertical) your display is and I'll see about setting a bezel up for you to use. (also do you prefer the original bezel or the modified one posted in this thread ?)

EDIT : Just did a bit of testing with different Bezel Zoom numbers and the lower you set the zoom % the more of the gamescreen is shown in the center of the bezel -- so try lowering you Bezel zoom number in settings.exe and it should get the high score showing ( be sure to uncheck the full screen checkbox otherwise it crops the bezel instead of using the zoom setting) - play with a few different settings and you should find a value that gets the game screen showing in the proper position on screen so that the entire screen shows and it fits properly - then it is just a matter of possibly needing to adjust the bezel art so it surrounds the game correctly for your setup. (if you need help with that portion take a screenshot using print screen and save it (can use cut\paste into Paint if needed) and it will probably only include the game screen not the bezel if you use prt scrn but that is enough to see the position if I know the res you are using so post a screen here and then I'll see about adjusting the bezel for you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:52:48 am by JDFan »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 10:46:08 am »
I'm running (for now, for testing) this on a 1440 x 900 screen, but it's configured for a vertical monitor.
(As I plan on using this in my DK JR cabinet)
With that said, for my inteded use I dont need a bezel. I just thought that perhaps as a thank you, along with the MaLa layout I'll post soon I could modify the original (cabinet used) bezel.

Thanks JDFan

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:51 am »
I'm running (for now, for testing) this on a 1440 x 900 screen, but it's configured for a vertical monitor.
(As I plan on using this in my DK JR cabinet)
With that said, for my inteded use I dont need a bezel. I just thought that perhaps as a thank you, along with the MaLa layout I'll post soon I could modify the original (cabinet used) bezel.

Thanks JDFan

No problem -- I think the Bezel zoom setting is what you need to adjust -- Here is a quick video I made showing the difference in setting it to 0.95 and then 0.66 to give you an idea of what the setting changes !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Sweet, thanks.
I'll take a look when I get in.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2013, 01:11:39 pm »
Again, Howard, you rock!

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:40 pm »
Amazing work Howard! And thanks JDFan for cleaning up my bezel, I cant believe I missed that yellow dress.

Last request, is there a way to remove the crosshair from the screen? Its barely noticeable but I would imagine once its on my cabinet I would have to use my trackball to move the crosshair offscreen. Thanks again for your amazing work!

THe dress was my fault as I had used the magic wand tool to delete the white and yellow background for cut\pasting the characters and didn't notice it deleted the yellow for her dress -- I fixed it after I pasted it the second time and the dress didn't line up in a yellow section so it was noticeable on the lower right side but never fixed the first paste since it was going to be on the yellow background anyway !

For the crosshair you could change the mouse pointer on your cab to a single pixel (Instant sheller does this when hiding the windows boot screens etc.) - makes it hard to find but does hide it pretty well ! (so if using it that way you may want to go into the mouse properties - Pointer Options and click in the option to show location of pointer when I press CTRL key )
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:31:53 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:36 pm »
The program actually does move it off screen.  It goes to the upper left corner of the screen.

pinballsmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 01:52:02 pm
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »
Has anyone measured the thickness of the Disney made cabinets? The T-molding looks wider than the standard Nintendo T-molding. I've also noticed that the Disney made cabinets all have 8 speaker slots. All the Nintendo conversions still have the 7 or 5 speaker grills.