Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Power Options  (Read 1277 times)

xer0s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2016, 10:29:55 pm
  • Trying to get the bugs out...
Power Options
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:22 pm »
I'm trying to come up with the best power option for my arcade...

First off, I am running a laptop and a TV for my arcade.  What I want is to be able to flip a single switch (perhaps on a surge protector) and have the laptop and the TV to both power up. 

Right now, I have the laptop set to go into Hybrid Sleep mode after 10 minutes and I just turn the TV off with the remote.  But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to leave a laptop in sleep mode for possibly months at a time. 

What do y'all think?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Power Options
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:55 am »
Usually you would get a smart strip, but I am unsure it would work with a laptop brick.

Sleep is not a good option as most on board devices (lan, USB and sometimes video has a tendency to not work properly), and you might want to invoke a hard drive power down and if your laptop supports it, wake from LAN.  I know my ASUS FCS3 with the IBM chipset dies when it hibernates and nothing seems to work properly unless you reboot.

I like cheap android phones and tablets - the crap ones with low memory and processor speeds, as they work as great interfaces to PCs.  You can remote connect the PC and Projector via this method.  You might want to do some research on this.

Other than that you could look at wireless power sockets.  I noticed a generic at Wallymart and they have the same at ASDA depending on your geographic location.  They work well.  Not cheap but, it never is in this hobby.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

xer0s

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2016, 10:29:55 pm
  • Trying to get the bugs out...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:13 am »
Interesting options.  I'll look into it...

I want to be able to turn the laptop off when I'm not using the arcade.  But I have to take the control panel off to get to the computer and turn it back on.  So I'm just looking for a solution.  Luckily the TV will come back on automatically if I unplug it and plug it back in.  If only the laptop would do the same...

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 04:06:09 am »
Interesting options.  I'll look into it...

I want to be able to turn the laptop off when I'm not using the arcade.  But I have to take the control panel off to get to the computer and turn it back on.  So I'm just looking for a solution.  Luckily the TV will come back on automatically if I unplug it and plug it back in.  If only the laptop would do the same...

I picked up a PC + monitor + speakers for $20 at a garage sale.  Look on craigslist you might be able to pick up a cheap 775 box to play your games on.  Failing that, a nice ITX fits good too.   Laptops are nice only if you view them on their screens and not externals.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.