Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: demul + G27  (Read 10234 times)

ant2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
demul + G27
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:48:25 am »
I set up the latest version of Demul yesterday with the joystick unplugged and everything worked fine.

I Moved the PC back in to my outhouse and plugged in the G27, now when I try and calibrate the controls one of the joy keys appears to be permanently pushed down. it's definitely not though, i tried replugging it, rebooting, checking in the joystick properties and other games...

Has any one got "0.582" successfully working with the G27?

I will try one of the older versions later to see if it's a bug in the version.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: demul + G27
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:52:05 am »
Did you have a previous version working with the G27?

I haven't tried .582, but with previous versions the pedals must be marked combined in windows (have profiler change it on the fly).

The joy axis that is registering while trying to map things is the clutch.
If you hold the clutch exactly halfway down, it will stop registering.

I'm not very good at holding the clutch pedal exactly halfway.  I usually just hold in on the button I want to map before clicking in demul to map it.
It takes a few tries sometimes, but eventually maps to the right button.  For the axis, be in the process of moving the control when you click to map it.

Here is how everything is mapped in Demul .58
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq37CSO6oe1fdDNFWlp6X2tGaE91djN6RDlMVDFBOUE&usp=sharing#gid=0

I wish they'd change mapping to a per-game basis or allow for games to have their own ini files.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:52:41 pm »
this happens is all versions.

Try lowering the sensitivity of your pedals in the logitech profiler.

I think last time i had to do a dance where I would hit map and tap the correct button quickly. it would take a few tries but, it would finally register the correct button.

make sure to map the sensitive button (the one that always registers) last or it will overwrite another button.

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »
It seems the G27's "clutch" pedal - while rarely used - causing a lot of problems in various games.    I think I'm going to try unplugging mine.   :P

I don't think I've used it to be honest.   I started too in "Shift 2" - but then realized that you can shift the gearbox without using the clutch at all, with no negative effects that I could tell. 

So...   as much as it would be nice to have a full sim experience, I haven't found a game that 100% requires it yet.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:04 pm »
It seems the G27's "clutch" pedal - while rarely used - causing a lot of problems in various games.    I think I'm going to try unplugging mine.   :P

I don't think I've used it to be honest.   I started too in "Shift 2" - but then realized that you can shift the gearbox without using the clutch at all, with no negative effects that I could tell. 

So...   as much as it would be nice to have a full sim experience, I haven't found a game that 100% requires it yet.

When I was setting up all the games for the new cabs, I think it effected demul, Fuel(using x360ce), and one other pc game.
That's not really that bad, but I really want to play Fuel on the cab and it's not just a mapping issue with that particular game. 
The game is hard coded to take whatever the clutch axis is as throttle.  Remapping throttle in game makes no difference and the clutch pedal can't be modified in profiler.  Everything could be easily solved if Logitech would allow it to be edited in profiler.  My guess is that they just didn't want to invest anything extra into the already existing profiler when they came out with wheel sets that included a clutch.

For Demul and the other game (can't remember what it was), once you make it through re-mapping the controls, it ceases to be an issue.

I don't think you can't just unhook it.  You'd have to unhook the pot from the pedal or substitute a 5k resistor in place of the pot so the pedal shows centered.
EDIT: I could be wrong there as I seem to remember it showing as centered in windows controllers until it was depressed.

Of the few arcade games that used a clutch, half of them weren't analog.  I'm leaning toward just using a switch for the clutch on my new cabs so I can play fuel on them.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:26:21 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:18 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »
So its an identity crisis issue?  Wrong axis for throttle input?

I wonder if you could hook up a multi-pole switch (3 wires would do it I think) to literally swap the clutch and throttle?   I bet the DB9 that the pedals are wired too is just 3 wires per pedal, for a total of 9 wires.

That would be pretty easy to built a junction box that the pedals plug into, then re-route input inside the box as needed, then push it to the G27 "brain". 

I think that's worth exploring. 

EDIT:  I think I used my wheel with the pedals unplugged once or twice?   I'll have to test that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:14:17 pm by Fursphere »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:51 pm »
So its an identity crisis issue?  Wrong axis for throttle input?

I wonder if you could hook up a multi-pole switch (3 wires would do it I think) to literally swap the clutch and throttle?   I bet the DB9 that the pedals are wired too is just 3 wires per pedal, for a total of 9 wires.

All the pots share power and ground (only 5 pins on the DB9 are used), so only one wire would need swapped.

In Fuel, the vehicle backs up nonstop unless you press the clutch.
I don't remember whether it went forward when the clutch was pressed all the way, or just stopped.
It's like what we discovered on Ridge Racer Unbounded, where it's hard coded, works no matter what, and can't be changed.
Only in this case, we can't change it in Logitech Profiler because Profiler has no options for the clutch pedal.

I think swapping them would be too much trouble to go to for one game.  All the controls can be mapped correctly with x360ce, it's just that damn hard coded clutch axis.  If you map a different pedal to the same axis in x360ce and reverse it, they cancel each other out, but the vehicle still won't move forward.

Just having it register as centereed would solve the problem for this game as well as Demul.

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:04 pm »
Thanks all, got this working a treat, I created ahk files to swap in the correct configs for each game..

but the problem is for some reason whenever I try and launch the exe, or a lnk or even a batch file to the exe, i can see a batch file window pop up and disappear.. the hyperspin log shows its launching the correct file but i know its not because i even tested the batch file with a @PAUSE statement and it doesnt stay up..

does any one know how i can launch this in hyperspin ? ive configured it as a pc game in hyperhq, its nothing simple like that..

hyperspin log, and running this manually works perfect
08:27:07 PM |  PC Executable Found
08:27:07 PM |  Command Line is: "D:\Arcade Games\Sega Dreamcast -Demul\aaa-batch files\atvtrack.Lnk"
08:27:10 PM |  Quiting Hyperspin

i have enter pressed enter  initially to get round that damn error that comes up that bad mouth also gets, i cant figure out where its coming from it didnt come up before i plugged in the joystick :

for other people:
Run, D:\Arcade Games\Sega Dreamcast -Demul\demul.exe -run=gaelco -rom=atvtrack
sleep, 2000
Send, {ENTER}
Run, D:\Arcade Games\Sega Dreamcast -Demul\scripts\batch\atvtrack.bat
sleep, 2000
Send, {ALTDOWN}{ENTER}{ALTUP} (this is to force Demul to run full-screen through Windows by pressing ALT & ENTER together)
~Joy16::
Process, Close, demul.exe
ExitAPP
return

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 03:48:47 pm »
I separated the pedals and changed these values and it works as it should:

ANALOGUP = 33554689
ANALOGDOWN =  33554693

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:10:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »

ANALOGUP = 33554689
ANALOGDOWN =  33554693

Hello there,
Does this fix the way G27 works in Demul , games in demul respond when gas is pressed =accel when you release = brake. seems combined

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:35:05 pm »
Yes. They work independently of each other.

Tantlum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 07:49:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 07:26:41 pm »

ANALOGUP = 33554689
ANALOGDOWN =  33554693

How did you figure this out??? This Changed my life!  I'm overwhelmed with joy!! Thank you !!