Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Special needs controller  (Read 10240 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Special needs controller
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:13 am »
I tested out the controller on my PC and everything worked great.  The hall effect analogs registered right away with no issues. 

When I tested it on PS3 I got nuthin.  The buttons worked but the analogs wouldn't read. I'll switch them out for the some analogs I raped off a PS3 controller and try again.   

Let me know how the testing goes with the controller analogs.  Can you post pics?
In the meantime,  I'll grab myself a cheap PS3 and run some of my own tests.

Hey Le Chuck,
I picked up a PS3 and ran some of my own testing with the kadestick firmware and everything seems to work fine.
Pots in the range 10K to 100K should give best results.  I believe that the PS3 thumbsticks use 10K pots.

I used a selection of linear pots for testing.

The 5v contact is connected to Avcc pin on the AVR (I think Scott has his wired to Vcc which also works)
The Gnd contact is connected to Agnd pin on the AVR
The Pin contact is connected to one of the analog wiper pins on the AVR (F0, F1, F4, F5).  F0 and F1 for Left Stick,  F4 and F5 for Right Stick.
You should have all 4 analog wipers connected.

I tested successfully with various speeds/stength of movement recognised as PS3 axis.

I'll post an image of my test setup later.
Not sure why you're having trouble with it. 

Jon

I'll grab some 10k thumb stick pots and give it a go. Thanks!

I think BM may have hit the nail on the head WRT the Hall sensor IC. Bottom line is I have no idea if it's getting the right power to the inboard IC so it might be lagging out.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:44 pm »
Got it working 100% with the 10k thumb sticks so we're back in business. Delivered the unit to M tonight. He was really excited to finally get the prototype. Once he puts this design through its paces we'll either adjust fire or fancy up the current design. More to follow after his testing.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:14 pm »
Good job, Chuck!  Can't wait for the, "How he liked it" update.

sharpfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 12:09:46 am »
I'm glad the 10k thumb sticks did the trick.
I'm looking forward to the review of the initial build.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:16 am »

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 07:48:48 am »
Can he in any way move his head?

Is he limited with the use of his foot? I'm thinking that buttons might be less practical than sensors f.ex...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 08:00:12 am »
Can he in any way move his head?

Is he limited with the use of his foot? I'm thinking that buttons might be less practical than sensors f.ex...

I don't think he's had great luck with those based on the severity of his palsey but that's not really my department. 

Anybody....? Come on!

wai you no like the colurs?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:44 am »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 01:40:56 am »
I hope he loves the proto.  :cheers: Is this controller gonna have a theme?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:31 am »
I hope he loves the proto.  :cheers: Is this controller gonna have a theme?

I brought that up with him when I dropped it off, he's a huge GTA fan so I might put something together along those lines but hopefully he'll give me some direction once he's got the feel for the build.  I think I'll need to go with smaller buttons as it might be a bit too spread out but that'd just give me more room to art it up so I'm okay with that - plus it's an easy change as I can just move the wiring harness over. 

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »
When I saw the wiring diagram all I could think of was the following.

But in all seriousness it's good to see someone creating for those who don't have it as easy as the rest of us.  Unless you are doing it out of guilt because you killed a nun several years ago and no one knows about it.  In that case you're a jerk, Le Chuck.  A.  Jerk.   :lol

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 07:35:49 am »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:42 am »
About a week and a half in and the report from M is that the controller works great and no changes to the design required as of now. We will wait a few more weeks and check back in.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 09:10:31 am »
figure out any games he might want? I'm trying to thin my collection a bit, and this seems like a worthy cause.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »
I cant picture how he is able to use the design you posted.  Maybe Im missing something.

When I think of only having one foot to try to play.. I would think that you would want the toes to lock the stick.. and the heel to hit buttons.    The heel would have large buttons on both left and right of his heel.. as well as underneath it.   The bottom button requiring more resistance so you can rest on it without activation.. or could be an analog pedal.

Now that I think of it..  the heel can swing in a pretty decent arc of angles.   So you could make a semi-circle of buttons below the heel.   If he can raise the heel.. that means his knee is able to be used to push a button as well.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »
I understand about the foot controller, but can he keep his eyes and head stable during play?

This isn't the project I am working on, but it is similar and looks like an alternative for manual control.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:00:24 pm by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 09:47:43 pm »
About a week and a half in and the report from M is that the controller works great and no changes to the design required as of now. We will wait a few more weeks and check back in.

Clearly you and M are both wrong, Xuoche says so. Tell him you're going to design it to X's specs and he's going to have to adjust. The gull of M to not learn to use X's controller scheme. I am disappointment.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 09:07:45 am »
I cant picture how he is able to use the design you posted.  Maybe Im missing something.

When I think of only having one foot to try to play.. I would think that you would want the toes to lock the stick.. and the heel to hit buttons.    The heel would have large buttons on both left and right of his heel.. as well as underneath it.   The bottom button requiring more resistance so you can rest on it without activation.. or could be an analog pedal.

Now that I think of it..  the heel can swing in a pretty decent arc of angles.   So you could make a semi-circle of buttons below the heel.   If he can raise the heel.. that means his knee is able to be used to push a button as well.

X, dearest X.  I don't usually reply to you, last 2 years or so if you haven't noticed, but this is something I'll address. 

No, you're wrong.  Not in the design, I'm sure that for someone who doesn't have CP or maybe somebody whose CP has afflicted them differently that design could work, but in this case you're wrong.  I think its interesting that while I spent hours watching M play, and talking to him about his needs, you have a "better" design after having done none of that. 

I could explain how the foot has more mechanoreceptors in the toes than in the heel, how M has already adapted to using his toe thereby increasing tactile acuity through repetition, how his heal doesn't even touch the pad or anchor to anything because his CP has curled his foot, how ankle actuation is difficult to control, how we looked at knee switches discarded them due to inutility and the and any other number of reason but that would do little to convince you of anything I'm sure so I only mention it as a PSA to others reading this.

So to sum up, yes you are missing a lot.

I understand about the foot controller, but can he keep his eyes and head stable during play?

Somewhat.  I found this searching for CP applications:

You can see about half way through how long it takes to activate a selection due to all the movement, this is similar to M.  Similar but not the same, all CP is different I guess.  M is really fortunate that he's cultivated the control of his foot in the manner that he has.  It speaks to his fortitude. 

Clearly you and M are both wrong, Xuoche says so. Tell him you're going to design it to X's specs and he's going to have to adjust. The gull of M to not learn to use X's controller scheme. I am disappointment.

Clearly.   ::)

I'll check with the family again about those games, they didn't get back to me last time.   :cheers:

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 04:12:37 pm »
Creds to you for helping someone out like that!
And thanks for posting that video! Helps me remind myself to never, ever complain about anything in my life...

A friend of mine reminded me about this when I was trying to decide between iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina... "Dude, this is a great example of a 1st world problem..."

And yes it is... Sad to see children not running out in the park or playing in the trees etc, but be bound to a chair. It's important to have someone who can still make their life as great as possible!

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 06:00:16 am »

I could explain how the foot has more mechanoreceptors in the toes than in the heel,

And that's a statement: Look at this program, it was on the Dutch tv and start at 4:50  /  13:15   /  16:16   /  21:17 / 27:06  /  31:05  / You can see how this guy handles to live without arms ....  :notworthy:
http://programma.bnn.nl/48/the-undateables/video/POW_00674551

What he did at 21:17, some people can't do that WITH arms  ;)