Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel suggestions welcome  (Read 1550 times)

MydknyteStyrm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 12:19:41 pm
  • Makeup FX Gamer
Control panel suggestions welcome
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:37 am »
Hi everyone,

After a full year of programming Hyperspin, I've decided to take it to the next step and create my arcade. I am planning on a 4 player cab with lightguns, trackball, spinner, and a compact driving wheel called the SRW-1 from SteelSeries. I want to have two Ultimarc 360 joysticks in the P1 and P2 position, and a 8 way joystick for P3 and P4. The lightguns are Aimtraks, and the analog flight stick will be a Tron stick.

I would love to hear some suggestions as far as administration buttons, I know I will have coin 1,2,3,4, as well as exit, pause, and a complete reboot. There will be a mini keyboard in the control panel with a mouse for computer issues, and a knob for volume control.

I started the design in Sketchup, and have attached them here. All thoughts and critiques are welcome. I've been so impressed with what I've seen on the forums so far, so don't hold me to my first design. Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Control panel suggestions welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:59:40 am »
Four possible issues you may want to consider:

1. Spinner placement may cause problems when using the trackball. (forearm hitting spinner)

2. Will your right forearm hit the P2 joystick when using the "TRON" stick"?
(BTW the TRON joystick wasn't analog -- you'd need more room under the panel if you want a TRON or Happ Heavy Duty 8-way stick)

3. Consider moving the coin and start admin buttons a bit closer to the applicable players instead of all the way at the top of the panel.

4. Consider spacing/grouping the admin buttons to reduce the chance of hitting the wrong button during enthusiastic gameplay.

Scott

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:38:33 am »
I notice all the time the joysticks / buttons are so close to the bottom of the CP while there is so much free space above. When I play on my (still test) cab I always praise the space to rest my hand palms.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:36:55 pm »
I made the mistake of not leaving enough room below mine!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:04:00 am »
I will give you kudos for not making your CP super wide. I would definitely take PL1's advice, though.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
Not sure if I'm right here,  but shouldn't p3 and p4 be turned a bit toward the corners.  Looks like p3 and p4 would be standing super close to p1 and p2

Spinner needs to be above t-ball and offset to the left aligned with Tron stick, you can use the p3 buttons for fire etc.

What kind of chairs are you gonna be using.....31" to the bottom of your CP seems really low, not sure how comfortable the driving feature will be....

I know i stand fairly close to my machine, that wheel right in the center might become a nuisance for p1 and p2 or cause you to have to play around it causing discomfort in arms etc.

I would also lengthen that base under that CP, that look like a lot of dead space, ideal for possibly tipping over.

Also, contact this guy for your encoder if your going with lit buttons.....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2034467396/howler-arcade-controller

He has a thread on here, but i'm too lazy to find it....his store and email are on his kickstarter.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:16:39 pm by rablack97 »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »
My suggestions would be dump the 4 player setup, move p1 & p2 out from
each other and put the track ball between them.
definitely relocate that spinner.

I'm not trying to bust on your design or anything but since you
asked for suggestions, I just feel that by trying to get every possible
Game control on one panel, that you'll end up being able to play most every game
But none of them comfortably.