Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Should I buy that WINDING HEAT-twin??? With pictures  (Read 6780 times)

synonym9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 09:44:32 pm
Should I buy that WINDING HEAT-twin??? With pictures
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:32 pm »

Hi guys!  :cheers:

I have an offer for a

KONAMI WINDING HEAT TWIN

I dont know anything about that cabinet nor the game.
I looks like a poor version of an Daytona USA to me......but for the price of 150€ I think I should grab it.

What I want to do with it:

Since it got no PCB´s and chassis I think I restore that sucker and emulate the hell out of it.
I am not into 360° games, I have another cabinet for that.
I want to play the typical twin games on it like

Sega Rally
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 3?
Daytona USA
Daytona USA 2
Ford Racing
Winding Heat itself
Cruising USA
Cruising World

and what you have else.....

Of course I want Force Feedback (who not?  ::) ) and I would like to use the original FFB-motors like that guy here in the forum did....as far as that cabinet got FFB.

From what I found out it got it, and when the motors are commercial-grade and as huge as in an daytona USA than I dont want to change them against a small consumer-grade product.

Is that the right cabinet for my plans?

I read that thread:

Arcade Driving Cab / Steering Wheel / Racing / Information- last update

but did not understand all to be honestly.
For my understanding I only can play Daytona 1 OR 2......Sega Rally 1 OR 2...but not both on one system???

Do I need 2 Computers (no problem if so) and do I link them via network-cable?
How strong should the CPU´s be....Motherboards, RAM´s and so on....?

Can two different games play on each side and will the system understand that it shall link up when the same game is choosen on both sides....

synonym9

• Offline Offline
Re: Should I buy that WINDING HEAT-twin??? With pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »

.....also....:

since it got no chassis I dont know if the monitors are in working conditions....as long as I dont see them working they are death for me.

On the other hand...they are burned in FOR SURE.....would be the first driving cab without burn ins I had ever seen.

So what kind of monitors?

Since I am from Europe I come easily by SCART-TV´s but I think that game is a 25- or 31KHz system....and dont want to look for super expensive arcade-monitors that are used as well.

What about 100HRz-ers? I saw a video of a guy that used two Loewe 100HRz in a Daytona USA 2....

but he ran them on 480i .....so I also would need a recomendation in that direction...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:22 pm »
Is that $150 per? Or for the pair?  If the seat can be cleaned and can adjust back and forth, and so long as there is no moisture damage damage to the wood, I say go for it.  It is all based on your local economy and availability.  I can't get that around here.

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:20:35 pm »
I will see it in person after tomorrow.....

As far as I see the wood is ok...but I dont see more than you on the pictures of course.

150 for both, 300 would be too much. I am even inteded to give only 100 as it got now plastic parts....only some wood and two seats....actually nothing what one could not do DIY...

I tend to have a genuine cab though instead of building one myself....

Usually I just see working ones here, but for emulation and modifying that conditions are just perfect....working ones start at 1000€ here.....

Do you have any idea if it got FFB?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:58:30 pm »
I read that thread:

Arcade Driving Cab / Steering Wheel / Racing / Information- last update

but did not understand all to be honestly.
For my understanding I only can play Daytona 1 OR 2......Sega Rally 1 OR 2...but not both on one system???

What part made you think that?

They are playable on different emulators, but can be on the same computer.
Sega Rally 2 is playable on Supermodel emulator, but has some annoying graphics glitches.

Of the games you listed, Sega Rally 3 and Ford Racing aren't supported by any emulator.
Winding Heat still has some glitches in MAME.

Do I need 2 Computers (no problem if so) and do I link them via network-cable?
How strong should the CPU´s be....Motherboards, RAM´s and so on....?

For most things.  Only a limited number of emulated games are linkable.
Look in the Model 2 setup guide stickied at the top of this forums on how it's done.
The model 2 games and Virtua Racing in MAME(using a custom build) are about it.
The next version of Supermodel (Model 3 emulator) will have networking, but it probably won't be released until April.
Keep your expectations low.  Most people experience flickering opponents cars.
I'm yet to set up networking, but am building a twin setup, so I'll be getting to it sometime.

This will give you some idea of what processor you'll need. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130988.msg1342049.html#msg1342049
 If you want to play stuff newer than the original Daytona or play Ridge Racer using MAME, you'll need a top shelf processor and video card.  If you're only worried about Daytona and older, you can get away with a lot less.

Of course I want Force Feedback (who not?  ::) ) and I would like to use the original FFB-motors like that guy here in the forum did....as far as that cabinet got FFB.

From what I found out it got it, and when the motors are commercial-grade and as huge as in an daytona USA than I dont want to change them against a small consumer-grade product.

Is that the right cabinet for my plans?

According to the manual I looked at online, Winding Heat didn't have force feedback.  It just had a centering spring.
If you find this stuff confusing, your best bet would probably be to mount a PC force feedback wheel (whole) in the dash.
Browse the Links to Driving Cab Projects thread and you'll see a few like that, including my old cab.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:01:59 pm by BadMouth »

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:28 am »

Thanks for the answers so far....

To use a PC-Steeringwheel would make everything easier from what I understood, but are there ones that are really strong?

People say the PC-Steeringwheels FFB is just a joke compared to the real deal...what do you guys say?

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 12:31:30 am »

My own research is that it got FFB....see the video:

When I am there after tomorrow, can you tell me if I feel when it is a FFB steeringwheel?

I think a FFB-SW would not center when the cab is off.....correct?
Also I should feel the restistance of the motor and there should be a sound/hum while turning the wheel...., right?

Ps.: Ferrari F355 Challange would also be a favorite of mine....especially in the link modus....is it possible?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:46:41 am by synonym9 »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:52 am »
The one in the video definitely has ffb.

The one without it will still return to center because it has a centering spring.
It would be best to look inside, but it might be possible to feel the "notches" of a belt turning a motor.
Not sure how well it would work if you don't know what you're feeling for.

The arcade version of F355 Challenge doesn't work in any emulator.  The dreamcast version is playable using NullDC or Demul though.
It sounds like you lean toward the newer games. 
You should set up the software on your current computer to get an idea of what actually works and how well.

Here is what was on my last cab:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130810.msg1339739.html#msg1339739
As far as arcade games that play well with a 270 degree wheel go, there really isn't much more than that.
My new cab only adds a few more, but will have around 40-50 pc games
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:41:13 am by BadMouth »

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 04:09:57 pm »
I Bought a pair of sega rallys like this. When they came were so so trashed and useable.  The cabinets were cracked and busted beyond repair, Check the back of the cabinet make sure there inst any bracing. The good thing is for 150 you can break down the whole machine and sell it for parts to recoop costs.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »

I wanted to go down on 100€....but the guy did not want to accept.
I think I will give him the 150€ since I even found 2 Midnight Run/Winding Heat-Steeringweel-asseblies together for under 100€ and two illuminated Displayheaders (that cab misses the header).

By buying that I even setup a quad-cabinet which I would really like...

Unfortunatelly the headers are not quite cheap....80€ for the one and the other one is´nt really cheaper....shipping additionally....

I wait some days and look if the guy lowers the price...if not I pay the 150€