Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious) - FINISHED  (Read 439973 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:21:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious) - FINISHED
« Reply #1040 on: March 09, 2021, 07:57:18 pm »
Well I was hoping he would explain that here. I know he read my post.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #1041 on: March 09, 2021, 09:48:39 pm »
Wouldn't it be convenient if they were just posted on the forum?

Because he's not giving them away, he's trying to sell them.

And this would not surprise me, since most of what I see for his posts seem to be making opportunities to include photos of his own work on other peoples threads, going so far as to chime in on something, add absolutely nothing to a conversation and yet still promote his own work while he is at it.

It's obnoxious really, and what I would consider a slap in the face if I were the gentleman who has put so much effort into creating this community-
And then have some coconut use it as his personal space to monetize what he has been taught by all the veterans here.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #1042 on: March 09, 2021, 10:07:45 pm »
Anyone wanna buy a Canadian Arcade tshirt?  Imma need you to like, follow, and subscribe to my YouTube channel first, though.

:cheers:

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1043 on: March 09, 2021, 10:08:59 pm »
He has been lurking all day according to the forum stats.

Hey Chance. Sack up. Tell us what is going on.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #1044 on: March 09, 2021, 10:44:57 pm »
He has been lurking all day according to the forum stats.

Hey Chance. Sack up. Tell us what is going on.
Ask him about that dude in Alberta selling Jawhn’s EasyCoinUps while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

cyberphox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2023, 08:58:39 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1045 on: March 10, 2021, 09:40:32 am »
I'm not going through the the 27 pages of this thread or other posts of the OP to see what was promised or not - for this I do not know.
What I do know is that this board, and the Internet in general, is a vast and lovely place for information. And if you have the time and patience, $60 for plans is just not something I would likely pay for.

However, in defence of the OP. I understand that on the opposite end of the spectrum of DIY people are people that are willing to pay for convenience.
If you want to lose weight and get in shape, there are plenty of free google searches you can do to figure it out for yourself. OR - you can hire a personal trainer and nutritionist.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1046 on: March 10, 2021, 10:30:03 am »
60 bucks?

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1047 on: March 10, 2021, 11:15:39 am »
So Chance, are you going to speak up or just keep lurking around?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious) - FINISHED
« Reply #1048 on: March 10, 2021, 11:26:45 am »
Was that 60 bucks for a PDF, or was he going to like print templates out and send them to you?

And does Jarrett get a cut for his original aircraft carrier design?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:29:12 am by yotsuya »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1049 on: March 10, 2021, 11:32:06 am »
This thread should be moved to the Vendor section or better yet removed entirely.

It is bait and switch. Really shady.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #1050 on: March 10, 2021, 11:50:28 am »

Ask him about that dude in Alberta selling Jawhn’s EasyCoinUps while you’re at it.

I don't give care if he is selling the plans.  We expect folks to pay for artwork.  Not sure why this is different but also don't care.

But I am curious if Chance stole Jawhn’s EasyCoinUps design and is reselling it as your post implies.  If true that is not cool at all.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1051 on: March 10, 2021, 11:54:12 am »
It is not that he is selling the plans. He can go nuts for all I care.

He is hiding the fact that he is selling them.

It is not in the vendor section.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1052 on: March 10, 2021, 11:57:27 am »

I don't give care if he is selling the plans.  We expect folks to pay for artwork.  Not sure why this is different but also don't care.

But I am curious if Chance stole Jawhn’s EasyCoinUps design and is reselling it as your post implies.  If true that is not cool at all.
Part of the issue with paying for the plans is that some of those designs it incorporates, like that stupid aircraft carrier. That was Jarrett’s design, and he released that design free to this board. To take that design and incorporate it into something you’re charging people for? I don’t think that’s really cool.

By the way, I’ve always felt everybody asking for Chance’s plans should have at least thrown something his way, like a few bucks or a subscription to his YT channel, but that’s when I thought he was sharing them out of the goodness of his heart and spirit of community. If he’s charging $60 for them, now he’s a vendor. It’s a big difference.

Regarding the EasyCoinUps, I don’t think Chance is the one selling them, but someone he knows is. It’s literally the same exact switch that Jawhn sells, with a different sticker. I mean, it’s not like Jawhn had an exclusive patent on the item, but again, bad form. What kind of community is this if we allow people to be parasites off each other’s ideas?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:03:20 pm by yotsuya »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1053 on: March 10, 2021, 12:11:09 pm »

Part of the issue with paying for the plans is that some of those designs it incorporates, like that stupid aircraft carrier. That was Jarrett’s design, and he released that design free to this board. To take that design and incorporate it into something you’re charging people for? I don’t think that’s really cool.

By the way, I’ve always felt everybody asking for Chance’s plans should have at least thrown something his way, like a few bucks or a subscription to his YT channel, but that’s when I thought he was sharing them out of the goodness of his heart and spirit of community. If he’s charging $60 for them, now he’s a vendor. It’s a big difference.

Regarding the EasyCoinUps, I don’t think Chance is the one selling them, but someone he knows is. It’s literally the same exact switch that Jawhn sells, with a different sticker. I mean, it’s not like Jawhn had an exclusive patent on the item, but again, bad form. What kind of community is this if we allow people to be parasites off each other’s ideas?

I get your point about the plans but still don't think it is a big deal.  When folks make custom artwork that has Pac Man on it I don't care if they kick something up to NAMCO.  Seems like a small thing to get this much attention but again that's just me.

The EasyCoinUps thing is horrible.  Stealing or ideas or flat out cloning boards is one of the worst aspects of this hobby.  This has happened with a couple of multi-boards over the years and has caused the developer to stop supporting their original design.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1054 on: March 10, 2021, 12:39:23 pm »

I get your point about the plans but still don't think it is a big deal.  When folks make custom artwork that has Pac Man on it I don't care if they kick something up to NAMCO.  Seems like a small thing to get this much attention but again that's just me.

The EasyCoinUps thing is horrible.  Stealing or ideas or flat out cloning boards is one of the worst aspects of this hobby.  This has happened with a couple of multi-boards over the years and has caused the developer to stop supporting their original design.
Look, I don’t think Chance is a bad guy or anything like that, I’m just disappointed because selling the plans like that, especially they were a) initially posted for free in this thread and b) contain other peoples work that was initially released free to the community on the sly seems sketchy. Why would people contribute ideas and designs otherwise if other people are just going to profit on them? We’ve had discussions about this before and I thought as a group we thought that was wrong.

If you’re going to sell the plans, then say so. We would’ve even known if somebody didn’t make it common knowledge.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #1055 on: March 10, 2021, 12:44:30 pm »
I just want know if he is actually charging $60 for plans that are displayed on the 22nd post in this thread....

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #1056 on: March 10, 2021, 12:50:49 pm »
I just want know if he is actually charging $60 for plans that are displayed on the 22nd post in this thread....

Did you actually click the link for the plans?  It takes you to post #561 where he requests you DM him to get the plans.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1057 on: March 10, 2021, 12:53:57 pm »
I hope not, since those aren’t the complete plans.

Oh, and thanks for posting... I found this:

This is the guy selling the EasyCoinUp clones.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1058 on: March 10, 2021, 12:56:47 pm »

Did you actually click the link for the plans?  It takes you to post #561 where he requests you DM him to get the plans.

What I meant Gil is that post #22 has three pictures that outline the side panels.  I understand that not everyone is mechanically inclined but why pay $60 when you could just take the side panel dimensions and figure out the rest....

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1059 on: March 10, 2021, 01:08:36 pm »

What I meant Gil is that post #22 has three pictures that outline the side panels.  I understand that not everyone is mechanically inclined but why pay $60 when you could just take the side panel dimensions and figure out the rest....

Yeah I know what you meant...  Just pointing out he probably originally had the plans on that link then later changed it so folks need to message him.  Guess you gotta buy the plans to answer your question.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1060 on: March 10, 2021, 01:24:21 pm »

Look, I don’t think Chance is a bad guy or anything like that, I’m just disappointed because selling the plans like that, especially they were a) initially posted for free in this thread and b) contain other peoples work that was initially released free to the community on the sly seems sketchy. Why would people contribute ideas and designs otherwise if other people are just going to profit on them? We’ve had discussions about this before and I thought as a group we thought that was wrong.

If you’re going to sell the plans, then say so. We would’ve even known if somebody didn’t make it common knowledge.

I'd have to know more about the quality of the plans to have an strong opinion.  If Chance took time to put them together professionally then I have no problem with him being compensated for his time.

I've paid for artwork before that used freely available images.  What I paid for was someone's time who is better at using Adobe than me.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1061 on: March 10, 2021, 01:36:58 pm »
I believe nobody here faults anyone for asking for something for THEIR work, especially if it is clear and up front.

It is when you are asking for compensation for someone ELSE'S work (which the original craftsman/designer/whatever offered up for free as a contribution to the HOBBY) that I think crosses a line.

But 27 pages of posts with a total of over 300k views?!  (Which sadly/ironically I am contributing to right now...)

When even the Hall of Fame thread has not even half as much view traffic...?!

C'mon...
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1062 on: March 10, 2021, 01:43:24 pm »

I'd have to know more about the quality of the plans to have an strong opinion.  If Chance took time to put them together professionally then I have no problem with him being compensated for his time.

I've paid for artwork before that used freely available images.  What I paid for was someone's time who is better at using Adobe than me.
I guess we don’t see this the same way.

What if Opt2Not designed a custom arcade classics marquee and posted it here for everyone to use. Then somebody took it, designed some side art, and wanted to sell the art files files with Opt’s marquee artwork included. Would that be OK?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1063 on: March 10, 2021, 01:43:58 pm »
I believe nobody here faults anyone for asking for something for THEIR work, especially if it is clear and up front.

It is when you are asking for compensation for someone ELSE'S work (which the original craftsman/designer/whatever offered up for free as a contribution to the HOBBY) that I think crosses a line.

But 27 pages of posts with a total of over 300k views?!  (Which sadly/ironically I am contributing to right now...)

When even the Hall of Fame thread has not even half as much view traffic...?!

C'mon...
This dude gets it.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1064 on: March 10, 2021, 01:51:19 pm »
And there is a HUGE gap between creating a line drawing and of side panels and creating side art.  Having an art background there is a lot of nuance between the two.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #1065 on: March 10, 2021, 02:32:55 pm »
1. He didn't post it in Vendors because he knows this is shady af.

2. selling plans that were based off taking free designs is scummy. but granted, if these idiots are willing to pay for it then good for him I guess. A fool and his money will soon be parted.

3. the above point is on us though.  I feel we need to make sure new people and lurkers of the forum are aware that these plans can be had for free.  That would squash any scalping of community designs pretty easily.

4. Paying for plans based on community contribution is NOT the same as paying for custom artwork.  That is a ---smurfy--- comparison and really shows how people do not understand or respect artists and the creations they are coming up with.   First, custom artwork is not a free community resource. You're not paying people who make custom art from scratch, or from photochopped existing artwork for the actual art. You're paying for their skillset, experience and education to get them to the point of being able to build that art for you.  In comparison, Chance took plans that were made available for free, along with advice, tips and suggestions given freely by the community and monetized it. That is NOT the same as someone building custom artwork for your projects based on artistic interpretation.

5. Chance isn't replying because he knows this is shady ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

6. What's even more sad is people actually paying for a design that is broken.  That CP is a big problem ergonomically.  The overlap of elbows from P3 and P4 onto the P1/P2 controls is created by that offset and inset of the shape.  This is why original 4 player panels were created with a semi-eclipse shape. Spacing player positions side by side is more ergonomically sound than having them staggered in position like this panel.  The only thing good about this design is it has a different angular look.  Again, this is on us. We need to step it up and educate people how to blend ergonomics with aesthetics. This design is more about form, rather about function.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:39:11 pm by opt2not »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1066 on: March 10, 2021, 02:38:28 pm »

What if Opt2Not designed a custom arcade classics marquee and posted it here for everyone to use. Then somebody took it, designed some side art, and wanted to sell the art files files with Opt’s marquee artwork included. Would that be OK?

That is sketchy but wouldn't be enough to make me angry.   In your example the marquee was given away freely for anyone to use. 

I probably sound more interested in this than I really am and I'm certainly not trying to defend Chance.  I was really more interested in if he was stealing the EasyCoinUp and got side-tracked.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1067 on: March 10, 2021, 02:41:19 pm »

That is sketchy but wouldn't be enough to make me angry.   In your example the marquee was given away freely for anyone to use. 

I probably sound more interested in this than I really am and I'm certainly not trying to defend Chance.  I was really more interested in if he was stealing the EasyCoinUp and got side-tracked.

This has actually happened before. Which is why I stopped giving free artwork out.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1068 on: March 10, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »
And again, I will post this here, cut from the first post of this thread.

Well, I hope you'll all enjoy the horrible mess that i'm about to make. Hopefully i'll be able to get some tips and tricks along the way and contribute back to this place at least something since i've received so much great advice just reading about your builds thus far. Well, that and in hopes you'll bring solutions to me instead of me having to spend hours more using the search function on the site! ;D

Where is the contribution back to the forum?  You're making money off what you've learned and taken from here, what have you given back?  I doubt you are secretly passing part of the profit you're making toward Saint to keep this forum up.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1069 on: March 10, 2021, 02:52:46 pm »

Getting back to the EasyCoinUps, some guys have called the guy out who posted them in arcade groups on Facebook. It’s the same exact switch Jawhn has been selling for years, with a different custom sticker.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1070 on: March 10, 2021, 03:06:46 pm »

Getting back to the EasyCoinUps, some guys have called the guy out who posted them in arcade groups on Facebook. It’s the same exact switch Jawhn has been selling for years, with a different custom sticker.

That's unfortunate. 

Someone in one of my Facebook arcade groups copied the Any Coin design so that people can 3D-print their own now.  That stinks for Brien.  I still plan to order from him.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1071 on: March 10, 2021, 03:14:10 pm »

That's unfortunate. 

Someone in one of my Facebook arcade groups copied the Any Coin design so that people can 3D-print their own now.  That stinks for Brien.  I still plan to order from him.
Good for you, dude. The cool thing is that Brien is always working on making the design better, so when you buy from him, you get something that’s been tested and refined.

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:46:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1072 on: March 10, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »
I hope not, since those aren’t the complete plans.

Oh, and thanks for posting... I found this:

This is the guy selling the EasyCoinUp clones.

I've seen him on the local news a couple times, but had no idea he was doing something shady like that.

Neblit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2021, 01:08:48 pm
« Reply #1073 on: March 13, 2021, 04:17:56 pm »
This is amazing! I'm looking at building my own cabinet this summer and would love it if I could get the plans you used for this!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1074 on: March 14, 2021, 07:35:56 am »
Face...
Meet palm

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #1075 on: March 14, 2021, 02:47:23 pm »
That's hilarious  :laugh2: Neblit are you taking the piss?  They are like moths to the bright light.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1076 on: March 14, 2021, 07:24:40 pm »
The only way to find out what is going on is to create a new account and ask for the plans.  You'll never know which one is me. :)

1upControl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2021, 10:24:25 pm
« Reply #1077 on: March 14, 2021, 08:38:23 pm »
If you are interested in my plans, please post in the thread or DM me.

Could i get the plans , i find your layout to be about the right size for me and I would think it would be fun to try , though i suck at wood working.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #1078 on: March 14, 2021, 09:45:26 pm »
Do any of you knobs even read the thread?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1079 on: March 14, 2021, 10:19:42 pm »
Do any of you knobs even read the thread?

Could it be the originator of said thread has taken to creating user accounts to continuously bump this 5 alarm dumpster fire and thereby perpetuate the madness?

:bump

Or are we approaching near full devolution of the species?!