Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious) - FINISHED  (Read 439123 times)

dgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:22:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious)
« Reply #800 on: December 11, 2017, 06:55:09 pm »
Next i tackled mounting the CP.  I'm pretty proud of this part of the design. Simple, basic and it also doubles as a rail to hold the display glass. I wasn't planning on drilling through the side panels, but for something that needed to be as sturdy as the CP mount i made an exception. Six 3" deck screws later...

Here's a closeup of the rabbit i put on the edge to hold the display glass. I made sure it was a couple millimetres lower then the side panel CP outcroppings. this way i can have a snug fit with the CP and the side panels in case theres any warping in the wood, now or down the road.

Hey Chance, a couple questions.
1. What is the height of your marquee? I'm trying to decide if I want to raise the cleats in the marquee area and make the top part flush in order to give me some more height or just leave it with a little space on top (which I think looks better).  What is the standard marquee hight? 6" and if so, does include the parts covered by the L-bracket?
2. When it comes to the rabbit you put on the edge to hold the display glass, is that only because you used display glass instead of the plexi? For example, I may end up using dark grey plexi 1/4" for my display.  If so, do you think I would still need the rabbit as a placer for the plexi? I'm guessing that's better than drilling in the plexi? Is that typically how the plexi or display glass is placed? Thanks

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #801 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:17 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:57:44 am by ChanceKJ »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: Overambitious) - FINISHED
« Reply #802 on: December 13, 2017, 12:36:02 am »
Hey!

First off, yeah, i'd most definitly go with smoked plexi over glass. a nice sheet of ¼" should do well.

The height of the marquee in its brackets is just a little past 7", I know home depot has a couple sizes of that black metal bracket i used. This was the 1", but ¾" will work just as well and is what i use on some of my restorations like i did with my Robotron. the actual marquee plastic is i think 7", but that gap is covered by the brackets. There is no standard size for a marquee. I've got some pretty odd sizes in my collection, and theres even more out there. I just made it that tall because anything larger looked silly in my 3D sketches.  I did consider to switch the bracket to ¾" after i had bought that 1" by accident. but i didn't mind the way it looked.

I think its typical to have something that holds the display surface in place. Most actual arcade cabinets have some sor of edge or groove holding it in place. I'd still go with the rabbet. In fact here is a good resource for making rabbets.  The one thing i would have added is a cutout so that i could easily remove the glass/plexi. I've shown that in the picture below as a red marking. I've needed to remove the glass a couple times and this would have just made it a TON more easy. as it stands right now i have a couple small strips of thin black ribbon under the glass so i can lift it up, which isn't ideal. 

Ok Jennifer will bite on this....Why would you most definitely go with smoked plexy over glass?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #803 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:48 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:01 am by ChanceKJ »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #804 on: December 13, 2017, 01:15:07 am »
Ok Jennifer will bite on this....Why would you most definitely go with smoked plexy over glass?

...Why do you have to quote the whole post if you're posting right after?  haha :)

Plexi over glass is simple, Weight, cost, clarity.  Plexi weighs less then glass, costs less then glass, and unless you buy higher end glass you'll avoid blemishes in plexi like you see in glass.   Glass was great (kinda) in older arcade cabinets when plexi was expensive, but now, and especially for home use plexi is the clear winner.  Even when it comes to older games, unless it was originally glass, i'd rather have plexi as it can be repaired by simply polishing with Novis.
  I have never seen a piece of plexy worth saving, Especially in smoky abusive, environments, glass IMO would be a far better choice on a machine called overambitious....In other news, I watched your pinball unboxing video.... And OMG, did I laugh, and laugh , and then your buddy was all like scratching his butt out in the warehouse parking lot. So I would laugh again. :laugh2:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #805 on: December 13, 2017, 02:51:42 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:06 am by ChanceKJ »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #806 on: December 13, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »
   Plexy always looks dry, scratchy, and just has a flimsy cheap look, polish may save the day for a bit, but in a less than tolerant environment, at best would be short lived and a mere stop gap in the quality to which the rest of the machine is built (IMO).... Your video was quite long (but worth every moment ;D) so a timestamp would be hard to find, It was early on before you got it, standing in the parking lot, and wondering what to do. Oh yes do A scratch, scratch  loop, scratch, scratch loop vid, it would be awesome. Thx for that vid however, that was fun times.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #807 on: December 15, 2017, 08:52:07 am »
Thank you for this thread. 
The time consumed just putting information in it alone is staggering.  (I've done it for other projects and really understand)
On top of that - a great build.  Really fantastic in every way.  You have great vision.

Very inspirational and great content all around.
I'm in the 'testing' phase myself and should be picking up plywood in the next week or two.
Thanks again - truly exceptional!
Bob
 :applaud:
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #808 on: December 15, 2017, 08:54:28 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:11 am by ChanceKJ »

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #809 on: December 22, 2017, 12:59:00 am »
I don't know chance I think you did right by getting glass. I went plexi like you said and after six months And a few cleanings it's scratched and looks like ass. I ordered some novus so I'll try that. I live in the desert so dust is an issue I should have used a can of air and then clean it. The fine dust particles did a number on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #810 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:47 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:15 am by ChanceKJ »

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #811 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
How hard are you dusting?!

I’d just run over it with a swifer and stay away from any kind of windex or glass cleaner.  Did you get acrylic or polycarbonate?  Acrylic is shinier and polycarb is stronger. Acrylic is less expensive but easier to crack. Polycarb is more impact resisant but easier to scratch.
It was my fault didn't dust it off like what you said a swifter. And it's just cheap Home Depot plexi

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #812 on: January 08, 2018, 02:18:08 am »
Damn you Chance and your fancy build.  Had to copy ya!  Been lurking here for awhile and early on influenced by your build.  Posted today in Project Announcements, looking to honor your design.  Love Canadian Arcade BTW, subscribed

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #813 on: January 09, 2018, 11:58:38 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:20 am by ChanceKJ »

elk29n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2022, 12:50:59 pm
« Reply #814 on: February 01, 2018, 02:52:31 pm »
Loved your finished project and layout Chance!
You've inspired me to do my own instead of buy!

I'm working on doing a similar CP with a pedestal. Thinking a collapsable pedestal if possible.

Could I PM you to discuss the layout of the CP and get permission for the CAD files?

Thanks again!
elk

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #815 on: February 01, 2018, 06:11:58 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:24 am by ChanceKJ »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #816 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:46 pm »
“Rights” he sez

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

AggieRWC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2023, 11:27:25 am
« Reply #817 on: February 10, 2018, 05:29:00 pm »
How did you determine the placements and legnths of all the ledger boards? Do you have a diagram and/or measurements for where to put them?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #818 on: February 11, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:29 am by ChanceKJ »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #819 on: February 11, 2018, 11:39:59 pm »
Omg this project is awesome

PeterS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2022, 01:49:15 pm
« Reply #820 on: February 12, 2018, 02:54:44 pm »
Hey Chance, this unit is AMAZING. I'm just starting my research on building my own unit and your resources on the 1st page is a great resource. About 4 years ago I read the book Project Arcade by St. Clair and I recently purchased his most recent version and starting my reading again. It's due to having kids and coaching club soccer 5-6 days a week for the past 3 years that this project has taken a back seat. I REALLY need to start this project as I'm itching to play all the old games I grew up with. I do have a few questions if you don't mind answering:

1) On your CP, why do you have only 4 buttons on players 3 & 4? What type of games are played with 4 players? This will obviously decided on a 2 or 4 player CP.
2) With this unit playing the old style games, can it easily play the current gaming units like PS, Xbox, etc. I've never purchased either but in the event I do I would like it to be compatible.

I live in Edmonton, AB and sometimes travel up to Calgary for soccer tournaments. Any chance we can meet and take a look at your cabinet? Take care

Peter

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #821 on: February 12, 2018, 06:04:52 pm »
Hey Chance, this unit is AMAZING. I'm just starting my research on building my own unit and your resources on the 1st page is a great resource. About 4 years ago I read the book Project Arcade by St. Clair and I recently purchased his most recent version and starting my reading again. It's due to having kids and coaching club soccer 5-6 days a week for the past 3 years that this project has taken a back seat. I REALLY need to start this project as I'm itching to play all the old games I grew up with. I do have a few questions if you don't mind answering:

1) On your CP, why do you have only 4 buttons on players 3 & 4? What type of games are played with 4 players? This will obviously decided on a 2 or 4 player CP.
2) With this unit playing the old style games, can it easily play the current gaming units like PS, Xbox, etc. I've never purchased either but in the event I do I would like it to be compatible.

I live in Edmonton, AB and sometimes travel up to Calgary for soccer tournaments. Any chance we can meet and take a look at your cabinet? Take care

Peter

You shouldn’t of said you were from Edmonton, bro. Chance is a hard-core Flames fan. You blew your chance. :-)

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #822 on: February 13, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »

Peter

You shouldn’t of said you were from Edmonton, bro. Chance is a hard-core Red Wings fan. You blew your chance. :-)

FTFY

PeterS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2022, 01:49:15 pm
« Reply #823 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:12 pm »
If Chance is a hard-core Red Wings fan then we are fine and have no problem. If he was a Flames fan then I would have to play nice as die hard flames and Oilers fans know how they REALLY feel about each other. Besides my 1984-85 Oilers were voted Team of the Century so I'm good. I experienced all 5 Stanley Cups and met a lot of those guys in the bar those days. Now that was great hockey to watch back then......all about scoring and no defense (until the playoffs).

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:04 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:35 am by ChanceKJ »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #825 on: February 14, 2018, 12:52:05 pm »
I actually use the pull for Calgary during the Lanny McDonald days. Glad he got a Cup.

My favorite hockey memory growing up was the night the lights went out at the Boston Garden, meaning Boston and the Oilers didn’t get to play. They had to move the game back to Edmonton the next day because the Celtics were in the Eastern Conference Finals, and Boston fans were mad. A reporter was interviewing them on TV and they were pretty much saying F the Celtics. Good times

And I’m a long suffering Arizona Coyotes fan, but that’s OK. We’re still young..

hackvector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2018, 10:45:19 am
« Reply #826 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:01 pm »
Great cabinet.  I see you shared the side panel drawings. What about all the rest of the parts?

I have access to a CNC router machine and i'd love to make this with the CNC router.

Do you have the rest of the plans?

AkAdam44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 12:41:04 pm
« Reply #827 on: September 20, 2018, 11:00:52 am »
Trying to download your CAD/PDF files from the first post but the link doesn't seem to work for me.  Is there anywhere else I can download from or does anyone else have a copy they can link me to??  Thanks in advance!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #828 on: September 20, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:40 am by ChanceKJ »

AkAdam44

• Offline Offline
« Reply #829 on: September 20, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
Trying to download your CAD/PDF files from the first post but the link doesn't seem to work for me.  Is there anywhere else I can download from or does anyone else have a copy they can link me to??  Thanks in advance!

I just tried it and it seems to work fine. Keep in mind that the link on the first post simply redirects you to the actual post deeper in the thread that I uploaded the zip file to.

Thanks, now I got it.  For some reason that link kept bumping me back to the forum's main page.  I tried another browser and that took me to the correct post.  I'm hoping to begin building my cabinet based on your design really soon!  There's so many great ones.  There should be a dedicated section on the forum just for all the "Flynn's Arcade Clones" HaHa

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #830 on: September 20, 2018, 06:28:56 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:44 am by ChanceKJ »

ehammer85

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2020, 01:02:11 pm
« Reply #831 on: October 16, 2018, 06:45:49 pm »
mimicking your build with a few modifications on things i'm personally wanting. i'm fairly new to the site and didn't start a build post (mostly cause i don't know what i'm doing) but i've gone through this build about 50 dozen times and glad to see it's fairly active.  here's my work in progress

***be nice, this is my first build haha***

AkAdam44

• Offline Offline
« Reply #832 on: October 17, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »
mimicking your build with a few modifications on things i'm personally wanting. i'm fairly new to the site and didn't start a build post (mostly cause i don't know what i'm doing) but i've gone through this build about 50 dozen times and glad to see it's fairly active.  here's my work in progress

Looking good!  What kind of plywood did you use?  And do you have a pic of you control panel?  You really should start your own post and add some more interior pics. Would like to see the progress of this build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #833 on: October 17, 2018, 01:47:08 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:49 am by ChanceKJ »

ehammer85

• Offline Offline
« Reply #834 on: October 18, 2018, 03:53:15 pm »

Looking good!  What kind of plywood did you use?  And do you have a pic of you control panel?  You really should start your own post and add some more interior pics. Would like to see the progress of this build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3/4 MDF and i'm still working through my control panel same dimension's as Chance's, different button layout.  i'll likely start my own post when i get a chance, fall is a busy time for me

ehammer85

• Offline Offline
« Reply #835 on: October 18, 2018, 03:59:06 pm »
Thats awesome!

I really love how you did the gun holsters! :D

thanks for the inspiration! i didn't feel the need for the authenticity of a coin door and the idea just came to me, glad it worked out with my limited wood working experience.  now to sell some organs for control panel items

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #836 on: October 18, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:58:54 am by ChanceKJ »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #837 on: October 18, 2018, 04:11:48 pm »
I funded my build by selling my body parts on the black market...

Skoobie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2018, 01:37:16 pm
« Reply #838 on: November 06, 2018, 05:32:32 pm »
Well this build is boarding on legendary at this point.  :lol: I discovered it as a Reddit reference. I've got a 2-player bartop running Hyperspin that took some time but was well worth it in the end. Helps I work for a large-format print with CNC capabilities  ;D

My best friend finally built his 4-bay shop with a loft and wants to put in a game room. He asked me to help him built a 4-player full sized cabinet. After doing a 2-player bartop I figured a 4-player stand up couldn't be TOO much worse. However I'm having a hard time locating CNC files for a complete cabinet. Found several dead links and partial files (i.e. Flynn's side panels) but nothing complete. Chance, do you have (or even want to distribute) 1:1 CNC plans for your build? I'd like to use it as a template. I think we would dumb it down a bit (no coin door, fewer LED buttons, etc) but the over all build looks perfect for what my friend is looking for. If you willing to share the plans please let me know. At any rate it's and amazing build, well done. And thank you for the contributions!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: FLYNN'S ARCADE (Project Code Name: I killed the UCAs!) - FINISHED
« Reply #839 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:05 pm »
Well this build is boarding on legendary at this point.

No, its still a great execution of a bad design; far from legendary. Every time the thread finally fall off the first page (which is tough because the traffic on this site has slowed to a crawl) someone comes along and makes a post that should have been a PM to him or asks for something already answered in the thread.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.