Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need advice for converting Rowe AMI TI-2  (Read 1844 times)

delusionsofg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2013, 12:29:56 am
  • <insert personal text here>
Need advice for converting Rowe AMI TI-2
« on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:14 am »
Hi all,

I recently bought a Rowe AMI TI-2 Woodbridge. This is my first jukebox, so let me start off by apologizing if I'm asking a newbie question or not using the best terminology in this post. I've searched the forum and found some questions similar to mine, but none that combine my specific circumstances, so I thought it would be better to ask than to pull my hair out -- or worse, ruin my equipment -- trying to figure it out on my own.

The TI-2 that I bought powers up, but appears to have some mechanical problems. When opened up and using the service switches inside, the record carousel will spin, but I can't get it to select or play a record. On the plus side, all the lights work, and (as far as I know) so does the amplifier (since I can't get a record to play, I can't be 100% sure about this, but according to the guy I bought it from, it still worked when it stopped selecting records, and I can hear the faint hum of powered speakers when turned on, so I have no reason to think it doesn't work).

Rather than spend a lot of time and money trying to track down and fix the root of the mechanical problem (which I would have to pay someone to do, since I am so new at this), I would like to remove the mechanical elements from the jukebox and connect a computer with a touch screen directly into the amplifier of the jukebox. Getting the selection buttons on the jukebox to function in conjunction with the computer is not even a priority, since selections would be made through the touchscreen. Doing this also has the added benefit of allowing more than 200 songs in the jukebox.

So how can I best connect the line out of the computer's sound card into the amplifier of the jukebox without frying anything? I see that there are good old-fashioned RCA cables coming out of the record player and going into RCA jacks on the pre-amplifier in my TI-2, but I'm wary of plugging the line out from the computer into that without knowing what I'm doing first. I know a thing or two about computers, but I don't know as much about sound equipment or circuitry as I would like. I fried my dad's stereo when I was a teenager by connecting it to the wrong output of my friend's stereo, so I'm hesitant to just "hook things up and see what happens". I have a feeling the computer's sound card and the record player have different impedances (even though I don't fully understand what that word means) and hooking one up to the other could fry one or both, like my dad's stereo. And surely it can't be as simple as hooking into the RCA jacks on the pre-amp, right?

Also, I read in another post about a different model Rowe AMI that the amplifier enters mute (or kind of a "sleep") mode if the mechanics in the jukebox are not turning to play a record. Is this something I have to worry about with my model if I connect a computer to it? And if so, what can I do to override it?

Lastly, any advice on parts/elements that I can remove to reduce the weight of the jukebox and still function as desired would be greatly appreciated, as I eventually have to move it up a flight of stairs to its permanent home.

Thanks for humoring my long-winded questions. I can't promise I won't have more :)

Best,
Gary
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:17:37 am by delusionsofg »

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Need advice for converting Rowe AMI TI-2
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:28 am »
Hello Gary,

Welcome to the forum.
You do not state what country you live in, this is a world wide forum I suggest that you modify your profile so we know where you live, this helps re advice to get parts or help.

I suggest that you refurbish the jukebox as it is or look for something smaller if the want a computer controlled jukebox ideally one with digital buttons rather than letters & numbers.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK