Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Oculus Rift and iRacing  (Read 2809 times)

Maximus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons
Oculus Rift and iRacing
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:04 pm »
I don't think I've been this excited about a hardware development since the first Geforce Video card came out. Sure there are a billion awesome potential uses for the Oculus Rift but I think the most 'complete' use for it today is in sit down simulators where you don't have to break the reality effect by using compromised controls to move through the environment.

Flight simulation and racing simulations are just perfect for this device, I'm super excited about the OR if only for this use, I've been planning out my sit down driver for a long time and would very seriously consider dumping a display altogether for the OR instead.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:20:52 pm by Maximus »

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
Re: Oculus Rift and iRacing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »
I've been watching the Oculus Rift for quite awhile now. 

There was a video somewhere of a person using one for like 30 minutes, and when he took it off he couldn't walk or focus on anything for a good 5 - 10 minutes afterwards.  The thing jacked him up pretty bad. 

Its a really good concept.. but the long term use affects might be pretty bad for a lot of folks.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »
Thanks for posting that!  :cheers:

I'm pretty much blind in one eye.  The entire time I was wondering if I could get a discount for one with only one screen.
Then at the end, the guy says he's mostly blind in one eye and it's still a cool experience.   :lol

I was also wondering....
If high def flexible screen technology makes it to the consumers, someone could make a racing helmet with the screen on the shield instead of being like goggles.  For me, it would be even cooler because you would still have all your peripheral vision.  If there was a way to hack in the head tracking, I'd be set.
Would that stand a chance in the market even though it's not stereoscopic?

...and that also lead me to wonder if anyone has ever rigged up a fan that changed speeds based on your speed in a simulator?

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »
If high def flexible screen technology makes it to the consumers, someone could make a racing helmet with the screen on the shield instead of being like goggles.  For me, it would be even cooler because you would still have all your peripheral vision.  If there was a way to hack in the head tracking, I'd be set.
Would that stand a chance in the market even though it's not stereoscopic?

...and that also lead me to wonder if anyone has ever rigged up a fan that changed speeds based on your speed in a simulator?

You're right there in my brain Badmouth, I was just talking to my boss about hooking up a high volume fan right in front of your driving position and having it controlled based in the speed output from the game probably via Arduino.

Also the racing helmet is the obvious thing to use to house the rift and the headphones for your 3D sound, there is just so much about flight and racing simulation that is already in place and perfectly suited to using the rift. You sit on one place as a natural part of the environment, wear a helmet (headset) it just screams out for this kind of tech.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »
Thats a pretty good run around Laguna Seca . Yes I know, sad I can tell the track (I figured it out after the Andretti Hairpin because of the turn 3 after the hairpin sets up turn 4, then of course "the corkscrew" of turn 8.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
Man I wish I had the cash for the full motion rig.  But damn its expensive - and such limited use too.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:25 pm »
Also, dog fighting/space flight sims like Space Citizen will be insane with the RIFT. And I have to admit I've been looking at some build specs along these lines...

Combine the two - never leave the house again.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Also, dog fighting/space flight sims like Space Citizen will be insane with the RIFT. And I have to admit I've been looking at some build specs along these lines...

Combine the two - never leave the house again.

Add in a Real Doll plugin, and you'll be the richest man in the Western Hemisphere.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***