Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch ION R.I.P.  (Read 13850 times)

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
Megatouch ION R.I.P.
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »
Just got an email from MERIT...

ION 2014 is the LAST ION Software Version.... We all saw that coming didn't we...RIP.

If you want MEGANET next year it"s Megatouch JIVE (ML-1) or nothing...RIP...

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:34 am
Re: Megatouch ION R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:30 pm »
Im working on it.... >:D

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:52 pm »
them referring to the 2013 software as "Legacy software" was a definite nail in the old coffin.

maybe we should make our own 2015 software....with blackjack...and hookers.

wait...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:38:30 am »
I've heard that with all the brand new software starting now, that Merit/AMI will be required to have their hands in your cashbox every collection date. I know several operators who don't like that and will refuse to get any new Merit/AMI equipment.

Maybe it's time for 3rd party software writers to start making software for these machines?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:53:05 pm »
yes ken it is a fact..u do not get the complete game from them any more
but rather u tie into the server where it is bound.
plus alot of operators do like the juke box linking,this will allow touch tunes
into the cash box also..at 1 time i thought ditch the touch tunes and swing to ami
but tossed that idea,when i found there tech support hours were cut back

as for trashing the games ? i reuse them as touch screen juke boxes
there perfect fit,the olny down side is u have to tie into a house system for sound
but i have yet to get a complaint

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »

Maybe it's time for 3rd party software writers to start making software for these machines?

Your better off replacing the mobo inside with a more up-2-date mobo and install windows 8. Im sure theres plenty of touch screen games out now since the iphone and ipad. just seems pointless for any software dev to waist his time on such old hardware. (mobo)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

Your better off replacing the mobo inside with a more up-2-date mobo and install windows 8. Im sure theres plenty of touch screen games out now since the iphone and ipad. just seems pointless for any software dev to waist his time on such old hardware. (mobo)

haven't seen one, but i heard it's win?? embedded (7 or 8) installed on it.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:46 pm »
haven't seen one, but i heard it's win?? embedded (7 or 8) installed on it.

Well i know theres a few for android, and theres also windows 8 smart phones. There is also the windows 8 flip and the windows 8 surface pro that competes with ipad.

NoRefunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2022, 07:39:41 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
As an op I haven't switched to the Megatouch Live yet.  I'm updating most Ion's, Aurora's, and RX's to the 2014 and I'll be good until at least the summer of 2015.  I'll just kick the can down the road so to speak.  I'm good at making these "bulletproof" and hopefully I can make these last until then, and hopefully by then there will be something new out there.

I link almost every megatouch and JVL I have to my TouchTunes boxes.   Probably 50 or so linked up.  Locations like it and it seems to work good.   It's the only way you can get cash in a touchscreen but those days are numbered since Virtuo can't link up and I'm sure if there is a Gen 4 box it won't link either.  I can only run gen 3 for so long and locations love that Virtuo.   I also fear that JVL will cease to exist taking their servers with them.  If a JVL Retro/Vortex/Encore, etc doesn't communicate to JVL servers within 5 days you lose your jukebox link.  Stupid.

My history of Megatouch is as follows:

The Sales rep tells you this:  "OH, the Maxx's don't have the problems that the XL's had.  Oh, the force's don't have the problems that the Maxx's had.  Oh, the EVO gets so hot it can cook eggs.  Oh, the ION's don't have the problems that the EVO's had.  Guess what, the Aurora's don't have the problems that the ION's had".

R.I.P.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »
^^^^ Love your comments and your forum nick!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:41 pm »
ya
i hear ya norefunds
but i did the links and most owners told me delink or get the eq out >explict<
love the nick also

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:39 am »
We have purchased 30+ 2014 ION software kits and are in the process of switching them over....

Also got a fourth Windows based  ML-1 last Friday.. NO 2014 games on it yet... :dunno

YES ... AMI has its hand in the cashbox... to the tune of a 10 percent flat rate...TouchTunes has its hand in for 20 percent on its Jukeboxes...

About 6 months ago we had to disable the Megatouch/TouchTunes linking because someone has figured out a glitch that will let you play music from the Megatouch for FREE...Keep an eye out for that... Both AMI and TouchTunes have no clue as to why it happens....

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:51 am »

About 6 months ago we had to disable the Megatouch/TouchTunes linking because someone has figured out a glitch that will let you play music from the Megatouch for FREE...Keep an eye out for that... Both AMI and TouchTunes have no clue as to why it happens....

Are you sure its a glitch, and not a hack? If someone can access the usb port on the back of the machine, its easy to patch via pen drive update to add unlimited amounts of credits.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:27 am »
I suppose it COULD be a hack... not really sure...It occurred at 3 locations before we disabled the link route wide.

It also happened to another operator I know who operates down state..

I find it hard to believe that the drunks in the bars it happened at are smart enough to pull off a bonafide hack...but you never know...

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 10:36:05 am »
if i rem right
there was a major glitch in the touchtunes server
that allowed for that exact problem..touchtunes never said a word public >as normal<
but as i was going through them >dashboard-control and compass<

i caught and found it..went to the landline to q them on it
5 mins later i am chatting main IT dept in canada
and they said yes..as they moved there servers from 1 loc. to another
i thought what a joke..

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:00 am »
I suppose it COULD be a hack... not really sure...It occurred at 3 locations before we disabled the link route wide.

It also happened to another operator I know who operates down state..

I find it hard to believe that the drunks in the bars it happened at are smart enough to pull off a bonafide hack...but you never know...

Did you replace the security screw on the back panel of any evo's? Ive seen operators replace them with easier screws to get off for when they go onsite to do upgrades. This is a big mistake. Another big mistake was merit even putting a usb port back there. The centronics port I can see because its a pain to get to an ide port on the mobo, but usb on the back panel was dumb.

Also what makes you sure it was some dumb drunks? Do you have any competitors in your area? They could be trying to run you out, I know some shady operators in my area that resort to similar tactics.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »
well as these units a linuix based
u would need to be perty handy with kernels
not saying u can not do it.?,but is but
line up 10 linux flunt ppl out of a bar full of winblows babys
and u will catch my drift..
yes for point of arugment,insert usb stick and reboot,box will see it
but point here,is first u have to kenerl in,second how in the heck would u do it with ppl in the bar.?,it takes time for the boot and load stuff to take
in 1 bar i can see it..hey owner turn your back for a few mins..heres 50.00
but 3 of them??
plus if i rem right in the bios u disable usb port..making it a null point
did it on all my ions

i am back to touchtunes
as this is when this whole problem came up

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:50 pm »
well as these units a linuix based
u would need to be perty handy with kernels
not saying u can not do it.?
Yes I said its easy.
yes for point of arugment,insert usb stick and reboot,box will see it
but point here,is first u have to kenerl in,second how in the heck would u do it with ppl in the bar.?,it takes time for the boot and load stuff to take
in 1 bar i can see it..hey owner turn your back for a few mins..heres 50.00
In a busy bar nobody would notice someone fliping the power switch and turning it back on. Even if they did notice, anyone could play dumb and say it just rebooted by itself, since that happens all the time with these unreliable systems.
plus if i rem right in the bios u disable usb port..making it a null point
did it on all my ions

Not sure how you disable the usb ports in the bios and still get the touchscreen to work? You can always just unplug the usb port cable from the header on the mobo, that would solve the security problem all together.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »
correct on all points
but i will add i remove the 802.11 wireless link >stick<
so then the game becomes stand alone with the s/w we put in it

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 02:08:09 pm »
correct on all points
but i will add i remove the 802.11 wireless link >stick<
so then the game becomes stand alone with the s/w we put in it

ed

Yeah on the ion systems the wireless usb drive connects to the same usb port cable, so if you remove the cable from the header it would disconnect the wireless usb drive aswell.

Also ed12, you dont need to "kernel in" to get linux to take an update via usb. A simple script tar'd and gzip'd to add a line of 9999 credits to a specific file in a specific directory is all it takes. >:D

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 02:32:52 pm »
hats of bud
thk's for the tip  ;)

ed

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 08:02:15 pm »
For the record the three games involved were two ION EVOs and an RX...

The Evo Update USB Port is behind a 2 inch square panel on the back of the monitor case that is only accessible from the inside by a round 'spacer' type screw hold down...they were never disturbed...

An RX has no exterior USB Update Port...You would need a key to open the game and get to it..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:38:23 am by smartbomb2084 »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 08:35:18 pm »
For the record the three games involved were two ION EVO's and an RX...

The Evo Update USB Port is behind a 2 inch square panel on the back of the monitor case that is only accessible from the inside by a round 'spacer' type screw hold down...they were never disturbed...

An RX has no exterior USB Update Port...You would need a key to open the game and get to it..

Yeah its the force evo's that have that security screw on the outside back plate. I wasnt sure if some Ions had the same plate or not. Also I never inspected a RX so didnt know if they had a usb port or not. Good to know.

But, yeah if usb port was not accessed, then there must be some software glitch that caused it.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:38 am »
Apparently it is a glitch that gives you credits. Heres a yt video of someone doing it. They dont go into detail on how its done, but it seems like anybody could cause this glitch to happen. It amazes me that this company would let something like this slip. I think somebody in R&D need to lose their job.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:34 am »
wait wait wait wait.

let me get this straight...someone wrote an update script that when you apply it (install it) to the megatouch it causes the free credits when you play a song, or is there just simply an issue with the software?!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:32 am »
wait wait wait wait.

let me get this straight...someone wrote an update script that when you apply it (install it) to the megatouch it causes the free credits when you play a song, or is there just simply an issue with the software?!

When the megatouch OS (linux) is initializing (booting up) it looks for an update via usb. If it finds one it runs it(bash script). If you write a bash script to add/change/delete files, it does so. Some files are crc checked, but the OS has a built in checksum update for patches when they are needed. If you know where the "credits.xml" file is located you can replace it with one that has "99999" credits, and Bingo!, You might be busy playing songs/games for awhile.  ;D >:D

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »
mahkeymike
that is 100 percent correct
it is a simple bash script,on a usb stick
which if u tied into touchtunes,u can if u want load from the juke or the other way around..hence the reason i either disable the usb port or just un-hook it
and u correct on boot ion's and the like chk the usb and will run it after post..

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 02:16:14 pm »
I dont have access to a touchtunes juke so i could not verify if its possible to do it from the juke, but i have added credits to my ion via usb. And as far as i know, if a tt is linked to a mt it will use the credits from the mt.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 03:42:57 pm »
oh heck yes
with a tt u can boot from a usb stick and or copy out the history
and info and place it on another gen3/4 box
same goes with cross booting/crediting

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:55 pm »
The funny thing about this credit hack is that of all the files to protect, that credits file has no protection whatsoever.  :laugh2:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
what appears to be happening in the video is that some kind of return signal that this song had been played was not received by the megatouch so it issued the credit back.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 08:14:25 am »
The above video shows the EXACT glitch I was referreing to.

What's even scarier is I know who operates that particular game and its location...

It really is a small world....

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:22:20 am by smartbomb2084 »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 12:07:14 pm »
what was mentioned before with patching the credits.xml file with a malformed update, that is more of a hack, and that can be fixed. (like as ed mentioned with disabling outside USB ports.)

but this touhtunes issue looks to be some kind of server connectivity issue, not really a hack per se. I suppose the machine could have been compromised with said malformed update to change certain things to disable the ability for the machine to receive the "all good" signal and take the credit.

Sorry if i sound all confused and noobish, I personally learn best by understanding the theory of operation behind things.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 12:37:22 pm »
the full truth about touchtunes would take a full new thread to explain
surfice to say they are the worest of the worest
for fixing the holes in there crap s/w
to freg them up..usb stick/bash file/load credits/inquore counter
bing bang boom u are playing for free
same as for the ions
and trust me any grade 10 can do this
and it is not that hard to inject a intercepter in a lan cable
hence the reason i disable all usb crap
also i do not fell the need to rewrite merits o/s nor touchtunes

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 08:51:00 pm »
ed12, if someone could gain access via usb once, they could easily install a ftp server like vsftpd through yum within the linux centOS system. You could do this all within a single bash script, and have the system start the ftp sever upon every reboot. From there, you could change the credits file and reboot the system whenever you want the credits to be added. Even just changing the file permissions to read only would make it so that upon every reboot the credits file reverts to what was added before the file permisions were set to read only.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:16 pm »
ya i know mahkeymike
i just did not want to get to far into in it because of  the spirt of this thread..
now with  there wireless links
it is even easier,as they are wide open wifi >4g-lite<
but as i said in the sprit of your thread i will reframe for going to deep

ed