Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions About JVL Orion  (Read 7466 times)

Brian74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Questions About JVL Orion
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »
So I got a Orion from my local operator. It had a piece of tape on it that said junk, so I got it for free  :cheers: Needless to say, after tinkering with it, I got it to work. So I have two questions, how to I get into the setup screen? There is a button behind the cash door and another one in the door behind the marquee. I have tried both, with no joy. My second questions is, what version of itouch can I upgrade too? It has itouch 7 in it now. Thanks for the help!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:04:36 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Questions About JVL Orion
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:14 am »
if your key is itouch 7, then 7 is all you can load. with a new key, you can get itouch 11 as the last one.

be aware, to run it (itouch 11) you have to upgrade the processor and ram to make it run proper. (i believe it was you needed at least an 800mhz processor and 128mb ram.) I have some notes someplace and i'll confirm it. The original processors are Cyrix CIII 650mhz... IIRC.

just cruise ebay for a new procesor.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:22 am »
Thanks for chiming in. I still cant get into the setup. I wanna change it to free play.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:46:32 pm by lilshawn »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:46:53 pm »
Thanks for chiming in. I still cant get into the setup. I wanna change it to free play.

try pressing and holding the setup button while it boots, (quite a while) it should come up with a screen to do a restoration. give that a try and see if the button works after it boots.

if not, you may need to re-install. sometimes the installations get glitchy and all kinds of things go wrong.

also check the battery voltage on the IO board...a low or dying battery can cause all kinds of issues.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »
So I found the rest button, here is a pic of the setup screen.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 12:44:28 am »
looks pretty vanilla. 64mb ram, 600mhz processor. 128mb compact flash card.

if i recall correctly, and you can manage the space (not sure about the space for the computer in the orion... vortex and retros are a nightmare cramped in there) but you should be able to swap that processor out for a standard Pentium 3 processor. (socket 370 i believe it was) or as i mentioned before a cyrix (zia) 800 mhz processor. heck, you could probably slap a tualatin celeron in there and get her up to a gig and a half...

you'd need to install some kind of better cooling solution which may be difficult, but if you can hack something together, you'll definitely see an improvement. if they jammed the board in there, i'd stick with 800 or 900mhz tops with that stock cooler they supply you with in there.

as well as dropping some more ram in there. some nice 128mb 133mhz sdram (i believe that 64mb stick is 100mhz) I don't recall if it had 1 slot or 2.

NoRefunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2022, 07:39:41 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »
Be careful swapping memory on that board.  I hated those JP20 boards and sold every Vortex that had them.  I don't know if they did the Orions like the Vortex, but on the Vortex that JP20 has hot glue applied on the memory stick.  Brilliant.  As the machine sits there and cooks the glue seems to get way down in those pins and if you looked at it wrong those pins stop making contact with the memory.  A nightmare to fix.   Many weren't fixed.  Only other trouble I remember with those are bad caps everywhere and loss of audio due to failing caps as well.  JP30 seem better, for now at least.

JVL's are a different animal.  I/O board problems can shut you down, low batteries on I/O, low battery on main board, etc. I've even had to install itouch9 software with an itouch10 key, then re-install the itouch10(I think I remember that right) to fix a Vortex once.   

Get more cooling on there as lilshawn said.

Not sure how far you can update.  As stated earlier you can probably go to the 11 with just a few tweaks. 

For a real treat call JVL tech support. :laugh2:   Do it with a cheap flip phone as you'll be throwing it against the wall in no time. 

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »
Thanks guys!