Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Aurora power up.  (Read 19477 times)

Peja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2015, 04:48:22 pm
Megatouch Aurora power up.
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »

hey there everyone.  a friend of mine just gave me a Megatouch Aurora powered by Ion 2008.  as of right now it is not working.  when you hit the power button it acts like it wants to turn on and you can hear the fans inside but nothing comes on the screen and button lights flicker as does the light that goes around the sides.  also the bill acceptor lights up and makes sound.

his tech said it probably needs a new power supply.  this is my first time playing around with one of these and I'm not exactly sure what to do so I figured I would ask you experts.  does this in fact need a new power supply or is there something else at fault?

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  everything else seems to be in good shape except for the power up problem and the plastic at the top that says Megatouch is cracked.  The rear door also seems to be stuck. I can't turn the key to unlock it it only acts like it wants to open but it won't.

also if it does need new parts where would I get those??  maybe some of you have them laying arounD that I could buy?

thank you everyoNe.

Peja

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Megatouch Aurora power up.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:42:51 pm »
start with the power supply
work from there

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:43 pm »
Thttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Merit-Aurora-or-ION-Megatouch-trivia-game-270-watt-power-supply-NEW-IDE-SATA-/190909040858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7310c8da

A little expensive but
http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/ALL&R=16&S=TS&SEARCH_TXT=merit

thanks for the info ed.  My current power supply is an Enhanced Electronics model FLEX-0130B. 

My current PSU is a 300 watt.  The others I am finding aren't the exact brand or wattage.  Will these work or do you have another suggestion or supplier where I should buy from?

Also, is it possible to get a replacement plastic piece that arches around the entire machine?  Mine is chipped at the top and it would be nice to replace it. 

Thanks again for your help.
Peja

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
truly a power supply is a power supply
your problem is going to be its phyiscal size

as far as the bezel piece u would need to talk to service support
at merit inds

back to the power supply
for testing i use a full size atx,and make sure the game powers up

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:20:17 am »
Also, is it possible to get a replacement plastic piece that arches around the entire machine?  Mine is chipped at the top and it would be nice to replace it. 

yes, you can replace it, and NO don't bother. Someone dumped one of ours on the floor and cracked that piece and the cast metal bridge that holds the machine together. it was almost $800 in parts to repair.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:29:52 am »
I didn't even think of that ed.  I have a few spare power supplies laying around here to test it out with.  I will test tonight and hopefully it powers up. 

Also, lilshawn, it looks like that clear plastic piece is separate and can be unscrewed, but I may not have inspected it all the way.  If it is part of another component, I may just have to cut it down or something, especially if it is really expensive like you are saying.  Perhaps if either of you two come across one in the future, I could buy it off of you.

Luckily he dumped it on the floor and not on his foot.....these little guys are surprisingly heavy.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Peja

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:36 pm »
Well, it was definitely the power supply.  I tried my spare PC power supply and it fired right up.  So that is good news.  Now I just need to find one.  Are those other links worth it?

Also, I noticed 2 of the 3 fans are seized up.  The only one that works is the little one and that thing is loud!!!  I wonder if it is normally that loud or it is going out as well.  Do I need to replace them with the exact fan or are there some out there that you recommend that are quieter.  I should be able to find the equivalent size and voltage somewhere out there.  I think I will have to splice wires as most fans have different connectors.

I emailed Merit about the clear plastic but haven' received a response yet.  Hopefully they respond and it is a cheap price but I am not holding my breath because of what you said lilshawn. 

Also, am I stuck withe 2008 software?  From what I saw on a different thread, it all depends on the key and hardware....how can I tell what mine is?  I have numbers off of it. 

Thanks again for all of the help.

Peja

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
i think those little ones where ball bearing fans. they will be louder than other types. if you can match up the size, throw it in. they all run off 12 volts. any computer shop can hook you up with some new fans.

if it has 2008 software, that's all that it will take. you can upgrade to 2008.5 software that changes the photohunt pics etc. but you won't be going to 2009/10/11 etc.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »
u can toss in just about any fans of the same size voltage
just 1 type runs longer and quiter then the other
i do forget which is which >sleve/ball-bearing< on the noise level
do all the fan's,u may want to add another 1
how is the fan on the micro.? might as well do it to..
the plastic is really a show piece and not worth the effort

2008 can go to 2008.5
from there u need a new key and s/w to go any futher not worth the time or money

on your key u will see a :sa-xxx-xx-xx: number
go to merit again. unless lilshawn
posted the tech note?
 that covers what key # goes to what s/w

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:35 pm »
sleeve bearings are super quiet, but tend to seize up.

ball bearing fans are noisy but last forever.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 11:43:03 pm »
Sounds good on the upgrade.  I won't bother.....seems to be a good amount of games anyways.  I would still like to fix the plastic piece but like you said, its cosmetic and not worth it.  I will see if Merit gets back to me and if not.....I won't worry.

As for the fans, good call on the cpu.  It works and is running good, but I may order another one just in case.  I will probably have to order all of the parts.....I really only have 2 computer stores near me and neither have a very good selection.  Heck, I usually have  more parts than they do being an IT guy with a bone yard of machines.  I actually think I have the small and large fan but the medium and cpu will have to be ordered.  As will the power supply.  Will that sparkle 270watt be enough?  The current one is 300watt. 

Thanks again for all of the advice you two......you guys are a huge asset to this board. 

Peja

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:07:03 am »
i tend to a bit over board on powersupply's for them thing's

will always poke around for a 400 to replace a 300 etc etc
cant never go wrong with more power
but then thats just me

now if u are handy with a sodering iron ?

recap the unit,there cheap enough
re-fan it >as that is what failed<,
then do some basic tracing with a multi meter/dmm your pick
make sure your fuse is good and such >primary side< !!do not plug in!! well testing

now well  under the hood look for swelled caps,u can tell these as they will look like they are about to blow up..there shot >replace<
from there your power supply might be good to go
test and give er a go

ed

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59:47 am »
I have been buying these power supplies from Ebay.... and the price has just been lowered $10 to $37.99 with FREE Shipping... I LOVE Free Shipping....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-300W-Replace-ENP-2320-ENP-23-22A-Power-Supply/320619483897?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1674672351301116779%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D320619483897%26#ht_2473wt_906

Nothing is ever easy, of course, these come with more connectors than needed but I just open them up and unsolder the unused connectors from the board.  Also, the AC power jack may be turned 180 degrees from the original.. just turn the AC cord around...The AC plug is not a problem when used in ION EVO or ELITE EDGE cabinets.

Some of these have been on the route for 2 years now so they are plenty good for home use.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
now if u are handy with a sodering iron ?

recap the unit,there cheap enough
re-fan it >as that is what failed<,
then do some basic tracing with a multi meter/dmm your pick
make sure your fuse is good and such >primary side< !!do not plug in!! well testing

now well  under the hood look for swelled caps,u can tell these as they will look like they are about to blow up..there shot >replace<
from there your power supply might be good to go
test and give er a go

ed

The caps are definitely swollen and I have replaced hundreds of caps so that shouldn't be a problem.  The fan is definitely shot as I just tried to power it up using the paper clip method and saw no movement. 

Hopefully those 2 replacements fix it, however, I am not sure what to check with the multi meter or what readings I am looking for. 

I have been buying these power supplies from Ebay.... and the price has just been lowered $10 to $37.99 with FREE Shipping... I LOVE Free Shipping....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-300W-Replace-ENP-2320-ENP-23-22A-Power-Supply/320619483897?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1674672351301116779%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D320619483897%26#ht_2473wt_906

Nothing is ever easy, of course, these come with more connectors than needed but I just open them up and unsolder the unused connectors from the board.  Also, the AC power jack may be turned 180 degrees from the original.. just turn the AC cord around...The AC plug is not a problem when used in ION EVO or ELITE EDGE cabinets.

Some of these have been on the route for 2 years now so they are plenty good for home use.

If I went this route, do I really need to de-solder the other wires or can I just leave them be and tuck them away somewhere??

Thanks again for your help.....I will be ordering fans today and hopefully get them by Friday. 

Peja

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:36 am »
these machines originally shipped with a sub 200 watt power supply. they were garbage.

upgraded to 350 watt ones, haven't had nearly as much issues. (just fans seizing up)

problem is mainly that the 175 or 200 or whatever...basically all power supplies, derate 10% at as little as 50 degrees celsius...these machines run that least hot. This means your 200 watt power supply is only pushing 180 watts....and your original 175 supply is only about 150 - probably less because those buggers run HOOOOOT. I opened one up one time and the main switchers heatsink was over 100 degrees celsius. I'll bet that supply only put out 75 watts by then.

a bigger supply 300 watts + won't work as hard to power the system, won't put out as much heat, and won't derate (as much) because of heat.

order from newegg or Ebay by searching "FLEX ATX Power supply". get an "80plus" rated supply, silver or gold if you can afford it. The 80plus rating means its more efficient (at least 80%) at converting the volts from the wall to usable power... 100 watts in, at least 80 watts out.

another warning....don't go all crazy and order a 1000 watt power supply. power supplies are inefficient when run way UNDER their rated load. you want about 25% overhead. any less, you actually waste power because the power supply has to work harder to regulate the tiny load on it's rails. this goes for desktop computers as well. The huge supply is expecting 35 amps of load on it's 3.3v rail and it only has 8, so the voltage fluctuates all over the place and the supply has to work extra hard to regulate that voltage cause it's basically no-load.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:57:16 am »
Sounds good lilshawn.  I usually always order my stuff from newegg and almost always order gold rated power supplies.  Usually less problems and most of the time a better warranty.  But I guess you pay for that in price.  I will shoot for 300watts.

I know I am beating a dead horse right now with this clear plastic thing.....found out its called a "halo" by reading the technical documentation.  Can you tell me what the difference is between the halo and halo glass?  It just looks really ugly with a big chip in it.  Worst case scenario is I will just cut it down and make it look decent but then all the nifty lights don't work as well to give off that glow. 

http://www.meritind.com/Support_Center/Ion%20Aurora/90001013%20Rev%20Q%20aurora.pdf

Suzo Happs has both in stock....except the halo(part # MW1411-01) is over 200 and the halo glass(part # SA0613-01) is around 40.

Thanks,
Peja

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »
One other question.......if I am going to replace my cpu fan should I get the exact kind or can I get a quieter one?  The one that is on there right now is a Top Motor db126015BU which is a blower type fan.  I have other 60mm fans laying around here brand new that are your normal cpu/case fan.  Or do I need the blower type?

Thanks,
Peja

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:12 pm »
the halo is the main metal supprt piece i talked about before that I had to replace. it's a loop of metal that attaches to the base and goes up and over the top behind that clear piece. it supports the monitor and keep everything steady.

the clear piece is the "halo glass". it sits around the outside and is attached to the halo. it's the portion that sticks out and the light shines out of it.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »
the halo is the main metal supprt piece i talked about before that I had to replace. it's a loop of metal that attaches to the base and goes up and over the top behind that clear piece. it supports the monitor and keep everything steady.

the clear piece is the "halo glass". it sits around the outside and is attached to the halo. it's the portion that sticks out and the light shines out of it.

Excellent news than.  $40 isn't too bad for that plastic piece.  I assume it can be installed separately?  I'm glad I don't have to replace that metal piece....crazy it costs that much. 

Thanks for the response lilshawn. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »
One other question.......if I am going to replace my cpu fan should I get the exact kind or can I get a quieter one?  The one that is on there right now is a Top Motor db126015BU which is a blower type fan.  I have other 60mm fans laying around here brand new that are your normal cpu/case fan.  Or do I need the blower type?

Thanks,
Peja
it's design doesn't allow for any other type of fan. it has short fins and relies on the high speed air velocity to cool it. a regular fan won't flow enough air over the fins and your cpu will overheat.

there isn't really a whole lot of room in there for much else. i suppose if you are "freeplaying" it for home use you can remove some of the metal that normally holds the coin box/ bill acceptor and gain some vertical space there. if you go with a standard cpu cooler, be aware you will have to source a cpu cooler holder for it to clamp to. the stock cooler uses a custom plate on the back to attach itself to the board. (or source a cooler that attaches the same way.)

the other option would be going to the intel atom board series

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:27 pm »
you must remove a great deal of the machine parts in the top end to access the halo/glass

keep track of everything you take off, but yeah a few screws just hold the glass onto the halo.

there are washers and shims and whatnot that you have to remove. keep track of EVERYTHING take pics if you need to. It's a real bugger to put back together if you miss some shims and parts don't line up later on.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »
Alright.....all fans and replacement psu have been ordered and should be here by Friday.  The halo glass has also been ordered but that seems to have been back ordered until the 15th. 

I will take a ton of pictures but I am usually not too bad with putting stuff together the way it was....*knocking on wood*

I assume it isn't a bad idea to make a back up image of the hard drive?  Just in case the drive goes down.

Thanks again.

Peja

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
no, not a big deal. Merit/ami has CD ISO's available for download. it's a matter of poping the disk in a cd rom drive attached to the machine and reloading it. any hard drive will work too, you don't need a special merit one like you did in the past (pre 2005).

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
no, not a big deal. Merit/ami has CD ISO's available for download. it's a matter of poping the disk in a cd rom drive attached to the machine and reloading it. any hard drive will work too, you don't need a special merit one like you did in the past (pre 2005).

Hmmmm....maybe I will do a search and download the ISO's so I have a copy.  Maybe download the 2008.5 as well.  Who doesn't like newer pictures on the photohunt??

Thanks lilshawn.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »
Coming through once again lilshawn.  Hopefully others get help from this thread as well.

I have a sata drive laying around.  Is it possible to connect this drive directly to the motherboard using sata?  I didn't look close but it looks like the drive currently in there may be an ide drive with a ribbon/power combo. 

My new power supply has extra cables such as molex so I could always run an adapter for power.  The mobo has 2 sata ports or will there be a driver issue for the sata?

Thanks again.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »
yep, sata is not a problem. you  may have to enable it in the BIOS though. some came with it disabled for some reason.

all the new software came on new SATA drives before AMI cheaped out with 2013 and just had you install off CD.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 07:07:02 pm »
Are you operating this game or just using it at home?

I have already done the EBAY SEARCH drill for FLEX-ATX Power Supplies and given you the best deal there...

You don"t HAVE to remove the unused connectors but there isn't a lot of room for the additional connectors in the motherboard tray and removing them is a HELL of a lot easier than FIXING a DEAD Power Supply...

If the caps are swollen and the fan is dead the wires are probably getting brittle and the Precision Resistors have probably burned their traces too.  If the horse is dead there is no reason to beat it anymore.

For less than $40 US you can have a NEW 300 Watt 80 PLUS certified supply... why make life difficult?

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:22 am »
smartbomb, you are absolutely right....it is easier to just buy a new power supply which I did.  I will however try fixing the old one as well for a backup.  I have the capacitors and fan in house already so if it doesn't work.....oh well.

Thanks for the help smartbomb....that is a great deal on a power supply.

Peja

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 08:29:00 am »
On thing about the AURORA and powersupplies that I don't think was mentioned is that if your replacement supply has a really agressive fan it can cause the hard drive to lock up from the vibration as they are practically mounted on top of each other on that vertical mounting plate in the cabinet.

When these games were new the OEM power supply had a wildly spinning fan that as it aged and started coming unbalanced caused issues with the hard drive.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »
On thing about the AURORA and powersupplies that I don't think was mentioned is that if your replacement supply has a really agressive fan it can cause the hard drive to lock up from the vibration as they are practically mounted on top of each other on that vertical mounting plate in the cabinet.

When these games were new the OEM power supply had a wildly spinning fan that as it aged and started coming unbalanced caused issues with the hard drive.

Thanks for the tidbit smartbomb.  I received my fans and psu you today and did the paperclip trick to check out the fan.  Seems to be smooth and quiet which is good.  Hopefully, it will stay that way. 

I am going to assemble everything tonight and it get put back together.  Then when my halo ships and arrives, pull it all apart again.  Fun.

Peja

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »
Just wanted to give you all an update.  I finally received the Halo and got time to put it in.  You were right.....it isn't an easy fix.  So many screws to take out.  After about 2 hours, I was able to get it all back together and now it is looking good again.  I wish I had a picture to show, but you've guys seen them a million times. 

Thanks to everyone who helped me.  I appreciate it very much and the unit is going to look great in the game room.

Peja

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 01:46:22 pm »
awesome. hopefully you never have to to it ever again right  ;D

:cheers:

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 02:03:20 pm »
You're telling me.  If any of my friends end up breaking it....they are just buying me a new one. 

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 05:25:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »
Check Ebay for updates for your machine, I have purchased 2011 updates for a 2008 in the past for $60. Operators who upgrade to the next year model have security keys and instalation discs sitting in their shops and will sell them. The upgrade disc can be used multiple times and the key lets you use the software.

Peja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »
Check Ebay for updates for your machine, I have purchased 2011 updates for a 2008 in the past for $60. Operators who upgrade to the next year model have security keys and instalation discs sitting in their shops and will sell them. The upgrade disc can be used multiple times and the key lets you use the software.

What do the 2011 updates entail?  I was under the impression, I needed new hardware in order to go higher than 2008.5 which I have on my system.  I didn't really find anything on ebay.

Thanks,
Peja

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:36:19 pm »
i was until that post understanding
that 2010 was the earlest u could go back to
as 2008 was not a true ion ?

ed

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:02 pm »
The 2011 update just gives a few new games and pics and looks different as it boots up. I have a 2011 update I'm putting in a 2009 Aurora. At the same time I bought this I bought a 2010 update I put in a 2008 ion that was installed 6 months ago and is working great.

Sarmstrong60

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:38 pm »
Go to Ebay and in the search box type MEGATOUCH ION and search. Went there just a min ago and there are 2010, 2011 & 2012 updates WITH security keys available available starting at $40.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »
ok so u answered the q
u have a ion
even in the aroua

ed