Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Let's compare M2 force feedback settings  (Read 10127 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Let's compare M2 force feedback settings
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:51 am »
I was setting up model 2 emulator from scratch on the new PC and the force feedback didn't feel right.
Then I remembered that I had messed with the settings in the .ini years ago.

It's been so long, I don't remember if I got these settings somewhere or came up with them myself.  :P
I also cranked the overall strength up to 150% in Logitech Profiler.

Anyone else mess around with them and come up with something different?

;FORCE EFFECTS PARAMETERS
;FE_CENTERING Effect (Spring centering effect)
FE_CENTERING_Gain=1.0      ;Global gain FE_CENTERING_Coefficient=10000   ;0-10000
FE_CENTERING_Saturation=10000   ;0-10000
FE_CENTERING_Deadband=100   ;1%

;FE_CLUTCH Effect (Friction, wheel turn hardness)
FE_CLUTCH_Gain=1.0      ;Global gain
FE_CLUTCH_Coefficient=10000   ;0-10000

;FE_LEFT,FE_RIGHT (Constant force in a direction)
FE_LEFT_Gain=2.0      ;Global gain
FE_LEFT_Magnitude=10000      ;0-10000
FE_RIGHT_Gain=2.0      ;Global gain
FE_RIGHT_Magnitude=10000   ;0-10000

;FE_UNCENTERING (Sine force, wave the wheel, rumble)
FE_UNCENTERING_Gain=10.0      ;Global gain
FE_UNCENTERING_Magnitude=10000   ;0-10000
FE_UNCENTERING_Offset=-200
FE_UNCENTERING_Phase=0
FE_UNCENTERING_Period=56000

vandale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
Re: Let's compare M2 force feedback settings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:45 am »
Hi Badmouth.

I am setting up force feedback for the first time in M2 and am having issues, I am hoping you can assist me to solve this problem.

I have a logitech momo black version. I have the latest logitech profiler installed. I can add model 2 as the game, do I just choose the exe?

When in game I get no feedback. I have changed the ini to enableFF=1. My device shows up in the profiler fine and I can config ok. I have force feedback enabled in the profiler also.

I have set daytona to deluxe. Have tried single and multi cpu versions. Am running xp with latest direct x, updates and drivers.

Thanks

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: Let's compare M2 force feedback settings
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
Sounds like your settings are right and I use that same wheel.

The only other thing I can think of is make sure x-input isn't enabled in the ini.

I'd skip profiler until you have it working outside of it.  Profiler isn't necessary, it just allows tweaks per exe.

There was an issue with supermodel where you had to have roms with the ffb board.  Never heard of that with m2, but if you've exhausted all other possibilities, try a different rom.

Will post if I think of anything else.

sent from my phone while driving

Jollywest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 01:37:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »
I posted my M2 FFB settings a bit ago in the below thread, if it helps;

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130376

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 04:45:29 am »
Ha ha, I figured it out. Was a late night......I forgot to plug on the power adapter   :applaud:

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2016, 02:09:52 am
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
I tried the settings BadMouth posted and they work ok for the most part. Sega Rally has really nice feedback but I think Daytona USA is weak. No matter what I try I think Daytona USA is weak? Are there better ways to improve the force feedback in Daytona USA to make it stronger?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »
I tried the settings BadMouth posted and they work ok for the most part. Sega Rally has really nice feedback but I think Daytona USA is weak. No matter what I try I think Daytona USA is weak? Are there better ways to improve the force feedback in Daytona USA to make it stronger?

You have adjustments in 3 places:
> the original in-game service menu (IIRC)
> in the M2 emulator cfg file.
> in Logitech profiler

If you've already maxed those out, there's nothing else you can do except for modify your wheel or buy a stronger one.  :P

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
Yeah, I turned it up in both the profiler and cfg, but I can't find FFB settings anywhere in the Service Menu. It's just F2 to get into the service menu right? Can someone point me in the right direction as I'm sure I checked through all of it. Maybe it's not named like something the jumps right out at you?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:12:23 pm »
Yeah, I turned it up in both the profiler and cfg, but I can't find FFB settings anywhere in the Service Menu. It's just F2 to get into the service menu right? Can someone point me in the right direction as I'm sure I checked through all of it. Maybe it's not named like something the jumps right out at you?

looking at the manual, it looks like the ffb strength was set by DIP switches.
I don't think those are emulated.
Guess you only have two places to adjust ffb strength.

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 02:16:16 am »
Ah, that's too bad. Maybe it will be emulated in the future.

BadMouth, after I put in your settings I get some terrible wheel shake in the menus on Sega Rally Championship? What settings do I tweak to get rid of it?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:45 am »
Ah, that's too bad. Maybe it will be emulated in the future.

BadMouth, after I put in your settings I get some terrible wheel shake in the menus on Sega Rally Championship? What settings do I tweak to get rid of it?

Just how it is.  No way to get rid of it.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:48:31 am »
Ah, that's too bad. Maybe it will be emulated in the future

This is maybe a tad off topic, but the force feedback effects in the PS3 version of Daytona USA are awesome, noticeably way stronger than in M2 Emu. If you put the FFB settings to maximum you're well into 'could potentially lose an arm here' strength. It's well worth tracking down a copy of  that version if you want some beefier effects (that's if you can even still get on the PSN, I'm not sure if Sega still have the Daytona license).

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »
Ah, that's too bad. Maybe it will be emulated in the future

This is maybe a tad off topic, but the force feedback effects in the PS3 version of Daytona USA are awesome, noticeably way stronger than in M2 Emu. If you put the FFB settings to maximum you're well into 'could potentially lose an arm here' strength. It's well worth tracking down a copy of  that version if you want some beefier effects (that's if you can even still get on the PSN, I'm not sure if Sega still have the Daytona license).

I too own the PS3 version and can't wait til I get Berney's wheel to try it out next year. I've heard the support for Logitech G25/G27 is excellent and makes full use of the wheel. Your post just re-confirms that so thanks buddy :)

Let me ask you a question MrT...which game do you feel offers better/stronger FFB: the PS3 version of OutRun 2SP or the PS3 version of Daytona USA?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
Daytona USA without a doubt. Outrun Online Arcade's FFB is there, but it's a bit minimal compared to Daytona's. Off the top of my head (as far as I can recall) the FFB effects in OOA are limited to collisions and going off the track. In Daytona there was definitely more of a feeling of the wheel actively fighting back against you as you go around the track and take corners et cetera.

I wonder if Sega have still kept the servers going for online PS3 Daytona games? I had some really fun full 8 player games online back when it first came out, but the number of players you could find online slowly started petering out to zero after what felt like a relatively short space of time. Likewise with OOA, although I don't think I ever managed a full 6-player game at any point, I think the maximum I ever did was about 4 players. I think I read somewhere that the servers for that are well and truly dead now.

(Sorry, getting very off topic from the OP there)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:18:51 pm by MrThunderwing »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I figured as such. Your comments regarding OutRun's weak FFB is all the more reason to hope for Howard's return to the "Hack" project someday. He was truly on the cusp of getting really good FFB effects out of the PC version using its telemetry data.

Get well soon Howard :(

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:46:08 am »
I found the place in the test menu where you can adjust the force feedback. It's called 'Drive BD Test'.

Here you can set resistance, shaking etc.  8)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:35:34 am »
I found the place in the test menu where you can adjust the force feedback. It's called 'Drive BD Test'.

Here you can set resistance, shaking etc.  8)

Does that have any effect though? I vaguely remember making adjustments in that same menu in the emulator, and noticed no difference in steering resistance at all.

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:58 am »
I feel a difference in the force feedback. It became stronger but nowhere near as much as the arcade version. I also feel the effects now (shaking) from when you hit other cars and the wall after I turned up the off center force I think it was called.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 05:22:22 pm »
I feel a difference in the force feedback. It became stronger but nowhere near as much as the arcade version. I also feel the effects now (shaking) from when you hit other cars and the wall after I turned up the off center force I think it was called.

Very interesting. Hopefully ElSemi decides to return to coding M2 Emu someday. I miss going to the Model 2 SpekSNK forums and seeing new progress and releases come out every so often. Those were the good ole days :(

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 02:46:43 pm »

Very interesting. Hopefully ElSemi decides to return to coding M2 Emu someday. I miss going to the Model 2 SpekSNK forums and seeing new progress and releases come out every so often. Those were the good ole days :(

Some devs are trying to come up with a way for MAME to utilize video cards that stays in line with MAME's way of doing things.
A proof of concept build of MAME was being submitted to the main MAME devs for there thoughts.
If that becomes the new norm, you may just see Model 2 games working in MAME before too long.
I guess we'd still be waiting on force feedback in MAME though.   :'(

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 06:47:41 am »

Some devs are trying to come up with a way for MAME to utilize video cards that stays in line with MAME's way of doing things.
A proof of concept build of MAME was being submitted to the main MAME devs for there thoughts.
If that becomes the new norm, you may just see Model 2 games working in MAME before too long.
I guess we'd still be waiting on force feedback in MAME though.   :'(

Ahh I was unaware of this fact. That is exciting news. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully like you said, they'll eventually start looking incorporating FFB into MAME.  :afro:

And hopefully this forum will stop acting up  :banghead: :timebomb: