Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have a Dreamcast racing wheel?  (Read 8361 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
Anyone have a Dreamcast racing wheel?
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:38:47 am »
Doing some research.

From what I've gathered, there was no force feedback support on the Dreamcast at all.
Did any of the Dreamcast wheels have rumble?

If there was no FFB, then is the wheel just a reconfigured controller with the x-axis potentiometer connected to a wheel instead of a joystick?

On the back of some games, it says they're compatible with the wheel. 
Does that mean the game actually senses it's connected to a wheel and behaves any differently?

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re: Anyone have a Dreamcast racing wheel?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:28 am »
I have an Interact wheel.  There is a slot for the jump/rumble pack like in the controller.

LeSpank

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Re: Anyone have a Dreamcast racing wheel?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »
I had the Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel for the Dreamcast. It had a rumble pack slot like the poster above mentioned.

Most racing games recognise there is a wheel connected as opposed to a controller. This is mainly so that it can configure the buttons and sensitivity automatically.

One more thing... I don't recommend you buy the Dreamcast Ferrari wheel. The switches on the paddles for the gears are very weak. Mine broke quickly and I know others had the same issue!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: Anyone have a Dreamcast racing wheel?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »
I have an Interact wheel.  There is a slot for the jump/rumble pack like in the controller.

I had the Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel for the Dreamcast. It had a rumble pack slot like the poster above mentioned.

Most racing games recognise there is a wheel connected as opposed to a controller. This is mainly so that it can configure the buttons and sensitivity automatically.

One more thing... I don't recommend you buy the Dreamcast Ferrari wheel. The switches on the paddles for the gears are very weak. Mine broke quickly and I know others had the same issue!

Thanks for weighing in.  I don't plan to buy one. 

I'm composing a list of Dreamcast racing games and wondered if there was any point in trying to figure out which games were labeled as wheel compatible. 
If the sensitivity or something was different when using the wheel, it might be worth mentioning (but I probably won't). 
Not sure if any of the emulators currently out have an option to make the game think a wheel is connected.

LeSpank

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:05:12 pm »
Ah OK. Let us know what you discover.

I've been playing F355 Challenge on NullDC using my Logitech G27 wheel. The emulator thinks it is a pad but it still works brilliantly!

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:34:09 pm »
For me, most of the racing games handle fine. I used the purupuru controller plugin for my steering wheel. It feel like it was meant to have a steering wheel. The only one that wasnt playable was vanishing point. The sensitivity way off. 4 wheel thunder and tokyo extreme racers were a bit off too but definably playable.

games that play just fine.
Crazy taxi 1 and 2
Hydro thunder
Daytona USA
F335 Challenge
18 wheeler

I havent tested sega gt or msr.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »
"Racing Controller Supported" and "Jump Pack Supported" added based on the icons on the back box art found online:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq37CSO6oe1fdGNQUGN5UU1QeTl0ZFQ3WkFKYTR1aWc&usp=sharing
(click on Dreamcast tab)

Hopefully someday the NullDC or Demul devs will add rumble if they haven't already.  ;D
I'm still curious if the analog input is handled differently when a Racing Wheel is connected.

Post any comments about the spreadsheet in this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134588.0.html

Gametreks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2017, 07:12:14 am
  • Home of Bad Boy Arcades- Bad to the Bone!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »
I have two Dreamcast racing wheels with pedals in perfect condition.  Never used one and the other used maybe 9 times.  They didnt have force feedback but you could plug in the rumble pack and get a sensation that way.  I have the Interact Concept 4 racing wheel.  It was a nice wheel for its time.  If you are interested in one contact me.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:53:35 am »
I have a DC Rally 2 wheel from Pelican that has rumble built in (if that makes any difference for what you are doing).

Jason
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin