Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advise for the shell  (Read 2537 times)

sleong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
Advise for the shell
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:55:39 am »
As this is the first time building a cabinet I wonder if I done anything wrong.

I've got most of the pieces cut out roughly and now trying to sand or get the two side panels to match.  I've clamped the two sides together and got as close cut as I can.  All the straight edges are done as close as I can but how or what is the best way to sand/cut the curve on the front by the screen.

I've only got a palm sander 1/4 sheet and what I have been using but because the edges always gets beaten up from the curve.  I'm going to try wrapping sandpaper around a round cylinder and try that to get a better shape to sand.

I thought of using a template and routing out the second piece but two things.  1. I didn't have a router on hand with the right bit piece  and 2. I didn't make the template.  Even if I made a template, I would have the same problem on the template to get a nice round edge.

How do you guys do it?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Advise for the shell
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:10 am »
You can try sandpaper wrapped around a proper sized wooden dowel.
  I'm not postitive that dowel is the right word for it but if you go in the molding isle at a Home Depot, you will see square and round stock of wood.
You should be able to find round pieces that are 3/4" to 1.5" or so.

Depending on how bad the cut is now, you can rough it in closer with a round rasp.
Just make sure to do the whole process with the pieces clamped so they match.

You can also try a proper sized drum sander attachment on a drill.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Advise for the shell
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:45:58 am »
I think most people do use a router with a flush trim bit. If you got a router, the bit is well worth getting. If you run the flush bit from both sides, you should generally come up with two matching pieces.

As mgb said, a rasp or sandpaper glued to a dowel should work. I personally would not attach a sanding drum to a drill. Too easy to knick your work and hard to keep perfectly perpendicular to your board. If you use a rasp, don't use anything tapered. For the rasp and dowel, put a hand on both sides of it to keep it perpendicular to your boards. 

The ideal tool for curved edge sanding is a spindle sander, which is an extremely underrated power tool. It can also be very spendy. You can make a makeshift spindle sander by putting a spindle bit on drill press, but you absolutely must not put too much sideways pressure on your drill press. It can narf up the axle on your press motor.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »
As has been stated the key is a router with a flush trim bit for as close to perfect matching pieces.  If you can't get that and you don't have a spindle sander I've found a belt sander affixed to a workbench with strong clamps can substitute.

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »
Thanks for the tips!!

I'll try the sand paper on a round object first!  That is most easy for me at the moment! 

Worst case is I'll go the router way.  I'm sure I have access to a router just not sure of the bit!

Will let you all know how it turns out at the end!

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:21 am »
Well I went with sand paper around a round pipe and it seems to have worked but not perfect but good enough.  Since this is the first bartop I'm building I'm sure I will rebuild this in the near future and make it even better.

By that time I'll be using a router.  I'll need to find the right bit to cut the curves out and one to duplicate from a template. 

I just did a dry fit assemble and will post a few pics tomorrow.  I still need to design and work on the control panel but other than that its all done.  I won't be using T-Molding I'll probably be using veneer strips on the edge so you won't see the slot for the T-Molding.

Then around the corners I'll round them off so there are no sharp edges.

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:22:56 am »
Well I went with sand paper around a round pipe and it seems to have worked but not perfect but good enough.  Since this is the first bartop I'm building I'm sure I will rebuild this in the near future and make it even better.

By that time I'll be using a router.  I'll need to find the right bit to cut the curves out and one to duplicate from a template. 

I just did a dry fit assemble and will post a few pics tomorrow.  I still need to design and work on the control panel but other than that its all done.  I won't be using T-Molding I'll probably be using veneer strips on the edge so you won't see the slot for the T-Molding.

Then around the corners I'll round them off so there are no sharp edges.

Here is a dry fit with the control panel layout.  I lost a bunch of pictures while in the process of cutting all the sides and everything so this is all I got for now.

The layout is with a coin and start button for each player then the two buttons in the middle will be a pause and either an exit or something else.

I don't plan on using T-molding on this bartop and that is why there is no slot cut for that!  I'll be putting a 20" LCD.

Let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:25:04 am by sleong »

blackrosegul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2013, 11:48:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:48:29 pm »
I think most people do use a router with a flush trim bit. If you got a router, the bit is well worth getting. If you run the flush bit from both sides, you should generally come up with two matching pieces.

As mgb said, a rasp or sandpaper glued to a dowel should work. I personally would not attach a sanding drum to a drill. Too easy to knick your work and hard to keep perfectly perpendicular to your board. If you use a rasp, don't use anything tapered. For the rasp and dowel, put a hand on both sides of it to keep it perpendicular to your boards. ????
GuL

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »
So sleong,  are you happy with the way your respective side panels turned out with your sanding method for getting them even?

I haven't yet started my arcade cab project just yet . . .  likely (hopefully) within the month . . . but I do plan on using my router (for the first time) to flush trim my sides.
I'm nervous about it - having never used my router for anything like this yet.  I plan to practice on some scrap pieces first until I get the hang of it.

I really do need to learn to use a router.  I've had it for nearly two years (given to me as a 2011 Christmas gift - it's a Craftsman 12-amp, 2-hp Fixed Base Router) and have basically been the textbook definition of a pathetic procrastinator with moving forward with the kinds of projects I've been wanting to work on for years.  (chalk it (partially) up to my chronic A.D.D.).   Seriously though, I am determined to finally start learning to (productively) use my router THIS MONTH - as I am hopeful to create/build other DIY (home-hobby level) projects after this one as well.

Sorry to go off on a tangent ... a little hyped up on caffeine at the moment.   :woot
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:56:47 pm by CaptainMarvel »
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:54:34 am »

As mgb said, a rasp or sandpaper glued to a dowel should work. I personally would not attach a sanding drum to a drill. Too easy to knick your work and hard to keep perfectly perpendicular to your board. If you use a rasp, don't use anything tapered. For the rasp and dowel, put a hand on both sides of it to keep it perpendicular to your boards. ????

Both pieces are matching as I clamped both pieces for sanding.

When I attempt to build a full size cabinet I will then use a router with a flush trim.  Good thing with this bartop is that it is not too big and I was able to sand it down within a reasonable time frame.  I have yet to buy a router but will be looking for one this year as I plan to build the full size sometime next year.  Would a fixed based or plunge router be more useful in these builds?

I'm trying to see how to best mount the LCD monitor as the screws that came with the LCD isn't meant for mounting so I may need to rig up something. 

Then I will drill the holes for the control panel.  The template that you see in the photos is on a piece of scrap wood so I will try that first to make sure there is room for both players and look in the right spots  (not sure if each player control should be centered or not) before drilling the actual control panel.

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:14 am »
Here is a template of what the control panel will look like.  It has 6 buttons each side, P1 & P2 start with a coin button for each side and a pause and quit in the middle.

What are your thoughts on having so many different color buttons or better to keep it more simple?

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:11 am »
What are your thoughts on having so many different color buttons or better to keep it more simple?

In my opinion, it really comes down to what/how you want your finished product to look.  I am not sure what other colors you are contemplating integrating into your cabinet.  Perhaps if you were able to do a couple of mock-ups (in Sketch-Up or Photoshop or whatever), you could get a better idea of how different colors work (or don't work) with each other.
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »
So at the point of Control panel, you should probably create a thread in the Project announcement thread but I'll say many have strong opinions on lots of colors in buttons.  It is Often thought of as "Frankenstein" and "wrong" when it comes to many colors.  So just keep that in mind.

My opinion is I like Different color buttons for each player but I want every button for a specific player the same color.  Your buttons should also match your side art/control panel art/colors.

So the Red/yellow is fine but the green/blue/red at the top, ewww.