Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets  (Read 7677 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:51:30 pm
HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:56 pm »
So I'm a Hyperspin user.  I have it on my MAME cabinet, fully loaded with all the extra goodies.   I'm in the process of getting it going on my driving cabinet, but its a fair amount of work - especially since I'm going to have to create a lot of themes from scratch it seems.

I've got themes for:

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 2
Dirt 3
F1 Race Stars
Grid
NFS: Most Wanted (2012 version)
Outrun 2006

Anyone else here run Hyperspin for a front end?  (I'm calling mine HyperDrive for fun)

I've been ripping the individual game trailers from youtube and whatnot (HD if possible) to do the wheel "preview" video.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:52 pm
Re: HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:59:58 pm »
Have you seen mbasile's concept?

(He never did finish the cab)
I'd like to do something similar, but don't want to take the time to learn how.
I really don't like having a different theme for each game, but that's me.

I've only messed around with hyperspin enough to set up MAME with the default themes, but didn't like the Ultracade look.
Someday I'd like to revisit it and build a custom theme, but I have waaaay too many other things going on to even think about it.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »
That looks like HyperPIN (The virtual pinball cabinet version) retooled for a Driving Cab setup.  Not bad.

The biggest thing I don't like about HyperSpin is that its meant to be "wheel menus" - like, pick a system, then pick a game.   When you want it to be one "flat" wheel, it can become a lot of work. 

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
I'm using hyperspin for my driving cab. Never used it before (always used Mala) and I've found it to be excellent. Can be daunting at first but I don't think it's as hard to learn as some people make out especially with the guides now available and the hyperspin forum.

I have themes & preview vids for all the model 2,  supermodel and MAME driving games. PC game themes are harder to come by. If you want any I can list the ones I have.

Re the default separate wheel for each system and changing this to a single wheel for all games, it's actually now very easy to do if you have the recently released hyperlaunch 3.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
Re the default separate wheel for each system and changing this to a single wheel for all games, it's actually now very easy to do if you have the recently released hyperlaunch 3.

Good to know.  I've been using a workaround in Mala to keep all my arcade games in one list on all my cabs and would never go back to having it any other way.  The good thing about the way it is done in Mala is that Da Old Man's plugins for automation (screen rotation, joystick switching) get their info from the gamelist, which got them from the mame xml.  So my screen rotates and my joysticks adjust regardless of emulator.

I'd still want the PC games kept separate.

I wish Swindus and Loadman would turn over the Mala to someone who feels like continuing to work on it.
It hasn't even been updated to support 7zip files and the newest version of MAME changed the labeling for joysticks in the xml which prevents Mala from reporting the correct orientation to Da Old Man's plugins.  I fear the lack of 7zip support may be the end of it.

I really don't like the previews from EmuMovies for the racing games.  A lot of them look like they were played on a keyboard.  The steering on the cars twitch instead of moving smoothly.  Once upon a time, I had visions of making a complete set of preview videos for racing games, but I always have more ideas than time.  :lol  :'(

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »

run hyperspin on my sit down cabinet.
I show it in my video.

I use seperate wheels as I think its cleaner when you have alot of games. Im also going to add alot more
It took a long time to set up. Just change the default video for each emulator to a racing game :)

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:03:44 am »
I run Hyperspin on my vertical and horizontal cabinets. I have it on my racing cab too. Just copied all my files from one cab to another. I agree with ant2, I will have separate wheels for each system. I wanna know if Im playing cruzin usa on mame or 64.   

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »
I run Hyperspin on my vertical and horizontal cabinets. I have it on my racing cab too. Just copied all my files from one cab to another. I agree with ant2, I will have separate wheels for each system. I wanna know if Im playing cruzin usa on mame or 64.

So did you make a PC Wheel for the PC Games?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 06:22:16 pm »
I'd never mix console or PC games with the arcade ones, but I like having all the arcade ones in one list regardless of Emulator.

sent from my phone while driving

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
That's where I'm currently hung up.

Too many "sub" wheels, and you end up never playing a bunch of stuff.  One wheel and its just massive.

So where is the balance?

And setting up multiple emulators in a single wheel - while possible (i've done it) - is a total pain in the ass. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:28:34 pm »
setting up multiple emulators in a single wheel - while possible (i've done it) - is a total pain in the ass.
yup, same for mala although I've done it so much in mala that it's second nature for me now.  I wish there's was a front end that would just let you set up the emulators, then add the games to a different list by right clicking it or something.

sent from my phone while driving

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:56 am »
There isn't that many games to play on a driving cabinet though. Im restricting mine to only the ones I actually would play.
I am soon to set up pscx2 and add some more pc games though :)
Rather than my stand up cab which has everything

One big wheel was just too messy for me when there is more than about 20 games.
 I use a separate wheel for pc games too

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: HyperSpin for Driving Cabinets
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 11:26:33 am »

So did you make a PC Wheel for the PC Games?
Yep I sure did. I have a bunch of pc game themes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2