Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rethinking the "Best" controls  (Read 2206 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Rethinking the "Best" controls
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
As my twin project evolves, part of me just wants to drop G27's into them and be done with it.

I have two Sega dashboards with Ketz 4spd shifters.  One already has a Happ FFB setup wired to a servo amp and hacked Logitech MOMO.
It's been a long time since I messed with it.  The centering issue wasn't as bad on it as some of the videos I've seen, but it will still have to be ironed out for each game. 

I also have an untested Immersion USB PCB.  As long as it works, I could just switch to that and not have to deal with the centering issue.
But then I'd have to deal with the combined/separate pedals issue in Demul and find another one for the other cab.

The other thing that is giving me second thoughts is the 4 speed shifters.  While iconic, they aren't that useful for PC games.
The dashboard that is already finished has home-made paddle shifters, but the wiring for them just passes from the base of the steering column to under the dash, so the wire will be flexed back and forth a lot during use.  I've tried to position it so this will be minimized, but still not sure I want to put the work into building a second one if it is going to be an issue down the road. 

With the software solutions that are out there for using an Up/Down shifter, I'm thinking that might actually be the better solution so no wiring is required for the steering wheel.  I'm probably sticking with the 4 speeds for my build, but will recommend the Up/Down shifter in the future if the person asking plans to play PC games.

Thoughts about the "best" controls in general?

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:26:34 am
Re: Rethinking the "Best" controls
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:56:00 am »
Unless you plan on playing the old arcade game forever, and newer playing newer PC games, I think using arcade controls is fine - assuming that's what you really really want.  (replicate the original arcade experience)

With that said, there are like what, 8 kinds of FFB protocols?  As soon as you jump into PC games (and I suggest you do, there are some great ones) I think you're going to have issues with the arcade controls setup.  The G27 is a known quantity.  Its not perfect, but like you know it can be tuned to work with just about anything (except 360 degree games...). 

And you've only got one arcade FFB / momo hack right?  Planning on building another?  I would think 2x G27's would give the most "consistent" experience from cabinet to cabinet as well. 

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »
Id go with the g27. That's what I did because I wanted to play sims and arcade games and this does both out of the box and does it well.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rethinking the "Best" controls
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:55:10 am »
As others have said if you plan to do arcade and PC sims then the G27 is the way to go. For my setup another reason I went the G27 is to give me the option of adding a PS3 down the line.

In saying that though, I don't think it's a straight forward choice because if you are adding the G27 to an existing cab like I am with the Sega Rally, a lot of work goes into modifying the dash and rest is the cab to fit the G27.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »
I went G27, you know this of course. the reason was i don't have time to dick around or trouble shoot if something goes wrong. if the wheel breaks the thinking was i can just replace the whole thing easy. Some with the shifter. I tried the Happs hack i couldnt get it dialed in right, But there are some others that got it to work off the bat.

Also i play sims and arcades. So the 6 speed comes in handy. whatever you choose for an option im sure you work your way around it.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
I have the g25, which is more or less the same. I think it works great all around. Using the extended shaft worked better then I thought it would. The fact that I can use it with ps2/ps3 is a big plus. The 6 speed shifter is mounted in my cab. But I was thinking about making it swappable with the a happ 4 speed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2