Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Should I use the hand carved Dragon head on the CP and paint around it or do 100% paint on the CP in the stile of the first post.

Use the hand carved Dragon head on the CP and have an artist paint around it.
10 (71.4%)
Have an artist paint 100% of the CP in the stile of the first post and wall mount the Dragon head in the same room.
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: November 13, 2013, 02:30:25 pm

Author Topic: Completed!!!! My first build: Beat'em up-X.  (Read 27725 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Completed!!!! My first build: Beat'em up-X.
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:05:45 pm »
After one and a half years it is finnished!
I am posting two pics above my first post of this project. More pics and details will follow at the end.

Original first post below.

Last June I got really excited to start my first build. Before starting our beloved french bull dog, Chunk, was diagnosed  with cancer and passed away a week later. The preparation for this build was a great help to me, so I am dedicating this build to him.

As I start posting pic's you may ask your self "How does some one with a whole wood shop have such poor wood working skills?", well the answer is the wood shop belongs to the school I teach at, in east Africa. The DT teacher is letting me use the equipment after school.

I had to buy all the arcade parts when I was back in the U.S.A this summer. If I didn't bring it, its not going to be added, Shipping is not an option. The aim is to build a for player pedestal with Beat'em up + Gauntlet theme based off some plans I found for the front base "controller part" of the 6player X-man cab. Beat'em up -X is a working title derived from my love of the 90's Beat them up's and the X is for the x-man plans that got me started. If any one has a better name in mind feel free to share.           

Take a look at my ruff draft for a theme and let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:46:54 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
Re: My frist build. "Beat'em up-X" a working title.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:08:31 pm »
 I'm going with an angled button layout, instead of the straight one shown in the pic. Never mind the two random white circles to the top right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:03:28 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:12:40 pm »
Pic

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:17:14 pm »
Laminating two 4' by 2' MDF sheets to get a 3/4'' with.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:26:36 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »
This was just before my first cut of the project.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:13:39 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »
These three pics show where I was at the end of the second day of the project.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:27:06 am by Locke141 »

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud:
      looking good so far. One question, why do you have 6 buttons on player 3 and player 4?

What games are you planning on playing?

:cheers:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11:47 pm »
:applaud: :applaud:
      looking good so far. One question, why do you have 6 buttons on player 3 and player 4?

What games are you planning on playing?

:cheers:

I'm going to go with a different button lay out then the pic. All 4 players will be 6 primary button but at an angle.

Guardian Heroes for the sega saturn is the single greatest hack and slash/beat them up of all time. That one game is reason enough. There will also be  a coin and Player button for each player,  that will act as the L R buttons on saturn games.

I found a open Beat'em up engine (OpenBOR) you can find lots of  games for. I figured it's cheep and easy to just add the buttons now. 

I will also add the 16 bit consul gems of the beat'em up line up.       
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:16:35 am by Locke141 »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »
Guardian Heroes for the sega saturn is the single greatest hack and slash/beat them up of all time. That one game is reason enough. There will also be  a coin and Player button for each player,  that will act as the L R buttons on saturn games.

I found a open Beat'em up engine (OpenBOR). People have made lots of  games for. I figured it's cheep and essay to just add the buttons now. 

I'm a fan of beat 'em ups.

Thanks for posting about those games.  I never did mess with Saturn emulation, but will have a reason to now.
Also wasn't aware of OpenBOR.

I haven't played it yet and reviews aren't great, but greenmangaming currently has The Asskickers (somewhat of a Streets of Rage parody) for $2.39 with promo code GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/asskickers/
It requires greenmangaming's capsule client to download.  I don't think that entails any DRM, but I haven't downloaded and installed it yet.

There is also "Streets of Rage Remake".  I think SEGA had it yanked, but you can still find it.

EDIT: Demolish Fist on Demul emulator is pretty good too if you have  PC powerful enough to emulate it.  One of the few emulated arcade games that I've bothered to play all the way to the end.  Guilty Gear Isuka is a 4 player fighting game on Demul that uses 5 buttons per player.  There are a few other hack and slash games playable with that emulator, but I can't think of them at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:06:26 pm by BadMouth »

Lucky S.O.B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 03:02:50 pm
  • Mmmmm.... Donuts!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:01:29 pm »
Since you are mostly into beat'em ups, not sure if you care... But if you angle players 3 and 4 it will be almost impossible to play 2 player dual controller games like total carnage and smash tv (not sure if there are any others).

I am basically doing the same layout but cannot decide if 2 player Total Carnage is worth it...

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:30 pm »

I found a open Beat'em up engine (OpenBOR). People have made lots of  games for. I figured it's cheep and essay to just add the buttons now. 

I'm a fan of beat 'em ups.

Thanks for posting about those games.  I never did mess with Saturn emulation, but will have a reason to now.
Also wasn't aware of OpenBOR.

I haven't played it yet and reviews aren't great, but greenmangaming currently has The Asskickers (somewhat of a Streets of Rage parody) for $2.39 with promo code GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/asskickers/
It requires greenmangaming's capsule client to download.  I don't think that entails any DRM, but I haven't downloaded and installed it yet.

There is also "Streets of Rage Remake".  I think SEGA had it yanked, but you can still find it.

Thanks Badmouth, I'll take a look.

On a side note. When I first joined BYOAC and posted some questions about my ideas for a build, I was so discouraged by all the negative feed back I almost gave up. You wrote some words of encouragement that helped me make up my mind to keep at it. So if I end up on crap MAME its all your fault :lol .

Just kidding thanks for the boost. 

P.S. Guardian Heroes has ben on Xbox 360 for a wile.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:14:59 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »
Since you are mostly into beat'em ups, not sure if you care... But if you angle players 3 and 4 it will be almost impossible to play 2 player dual controller games like total carnage and smash tv (not sure if there are any others).

I am basically doing the same layout but cannot decide if 2 player Total Carnage is worth it...

I haven't even considered that limitation. Do you think if I keep the p 2 (Red) level ish with p 4 (Yellow) and P1 (blue) to P3 (Green) it may be playable?  It would be a bit of a reach but all joy stick should be angled to the monitor anyway.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:41:23 pm by Locke141 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »
It would be a bit of a reach but all joy stick should be angled to the monitor anyway.

No, no they shouldn't. See: TMNT, The Simpsons, etc...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »
OpenBOR = Beats of Rage?

theres literally a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton of BOR games, most ported to the DC.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
looks like you are off to a good start.  i'm glad to see a few others building 4 player pedestal panels.  thanks for posting about those games, i'm looking into adding them to my cabinet when it is finished.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 03:55:52 am »
It would be a bit of a reach but all joy stick should be angled to the monitor anyway.

No, no they shouldn't. See: TMNT, The Simpsons, etc...

I may have not said what I meant.

The included pic is a better way to show what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:01:00 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:37:46 am »
Lots of progress made today. All the angles cut and gluing started.

Dam, getting every thing right takes a lot of measuring, time, measuring, patience, measuring, and did I say measuring. Some guys here make it look easy. My head hurt by the last cut. :dizzy:

Question about attaching/ gluing all the MDF together. On the lateral face, should I glue and put it all in place and use a ratchet strap to hold every thing together? After all the work and measuring to get every thing just right, I'd hate to mess it up now.     

I used AJ's instructions on "armoring" the cut edges of MDF. It seem to have worked out well. It was so cheep, quick, and EZ  I would recommend his step by step instructions to others.

Here are some pics, I'll add more when I get home tonight. Added
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:29:22 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
Re: My first build. "Beat'em up-X" a working title.
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
Drilled the P1 & P2 buttons to day.

Still working on where to place my start and coin buttons. The catch is I want them to double as Left and Right buttons for Sega Saturn and SNES Games.

I used the Horis 36 templet from slag coin in a 6 button layout. I was thinking of making the first two columns in to three rows following the same curve. The coin/Left and start/Right buttons would be LED lit, unlike the 6 other buttons. Is this a terrible idea?

Does any one know if I could have a dedicated shift key button with an I-pac. I want to have one button that has no other use then to shift the p1 keys to admin keys. I feel like Im at the limit of buttons already.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:40:11 am by Locke141 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:37 pm »
I used the Horis 36 templet from slag coin in a 6 button layout. I was thinking of making the first two columns in to three rows following the same curve. The coin/Left and start/Right buttons would be LED lit, unlike the 6 other buttons. Is this a terrible idea?

I don't follow what you're saying about the layout.  Looks like your holes are already cut.On the slagcoin layout, my preference would be to chop the first column of buttons off instead of the last, but that's just a preference.
Use whatever feels comfortable to you.  Test it out.  Actually use it to play some games first.

I think lighting the coin and start buttons is a good idea.  It shows they have a different function than the action buttons.

EDIT: Ok, I get what you're saying now after reading your post in the main forum.  I think they'd look better staggered between the three top buttons.
Definitely make them a different color or something to differentiate them from the action buttons.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:10:03 pm by BadMouth »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »

Here are some last minute sketch ups to clarify. There not 100% spot on but they should better convey my ideas.

The black dots are already cut out, the reds are different possible placements for coin/Left and start/Right.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:34:38 pm by Locke141 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:39 pm »
IMO (limited to MS paint at work)
Maybe a little higher, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:37:35 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »
More like....

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 01:49:25 am »
More like....

I like it.

Hopefully I'll have time to work on the CP today. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:06:27 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 01:01:18 pm »
I cut the Player 2 coin/Left and start/Right button today.

In the pic below, you can see a peace of scrap ply that was drilled through to make a templet. This templet was later used to mark the coin/Left and start/Right button for all four players. I should have time tomorrow to cut the remaining 6 button holes.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to get the MDF primer , pick out a type of hinge and install, construct a simple base, and cut the t-molding groove.

I still need to decide if I'll higher a trained local artist to paint my design onto the CP. I can get it hand painted for $40-60 here in Tanzania. I was also thinking of having the dragons head hand carved out of some recovered hard wood. I got a quote for 110,000 TSH (about $69 USD). I have commissioned work from these guys before and was very happy with the outcome.

As a side note, lots of the kids at work (the school I teach at) are super excited about the build. The DT teacher and I get asked every day when will it be done and if they can play when it is. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:08:40 am by Locke141 »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:53 pm »
looks like a good choice for button locations.  up above the main action buttons, but close enough to be used as action buttons.  very cool

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:12 am »
Lots of work done to day.  ;D

- All the buttons holes cut, except for the shift key, still planning the placement.
  - T-molding groove cut.
  - Hinges bought.

Not 100% shore the hinge will work out. Has any one used any thing like them before?

After work I went back to the wood carver with more accurate measurements and a print of the dragon from Gauntlet. The new price is now 70,000 TZS ($43 USD). At that price I'm going to have it done.  Even if I don't use it on the CP it will still look cool on my wall.
Because of all the buss at work (I'm a teacher) a very talented student asked if he could paint or air brush the CP. I may ask him to do some sketches before I decide.         
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:53:52 am by Locke141 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:42 am »
I really think the top two buttons need to be a different color than the rest.  I'm picky though.

I'd hide the shift key on the underside of the CP if it's only going to be used for administrative stuff, otherwise kids will mess things up.
You would not believe the things they can accomplish by randomly mashing buttons.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 09:09:01 am »
I really think the top two buttons need to be a different color than the rest.  I'm picky though.

I'd hide the shift key on the underside of the CP if it's only going to be used for administrative stuff, otherwise kids will mess things up.
You would not believe the things they can accomplish by randomly mashing buttons.

When I was doing the buying there was a different lay out in mind. I was thinking the same about the button colors. I'm hoping it'll look better with the LEDs lit. If not I have three more of the white LED buttons I was going to used for another project, other wise it will have to do until the next time I'm in the states.   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:54:48 am by Locke141 »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 09:23:33 am »
Looks good. I have those hinges on my 2 player cabinet, they work fairly well. I don't know how well they would support a panel of that size...you may need to install a chain to hold the weight in an open position.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:28 am »
Looks good. I have those hinges on my 2 player cabinet, they work fairly well. I don't know how well they would support a panel of that size...you may need to install a chain to hold the weight in an open position.

I was thinking of getting two more (They are only about $2.80 USD) and welding them to two long strips of sheet metal, one for the CP and one for the CP Box. That way I could  also add lots of screws along the whole length. 

I was just looking at your 4 player project, I like. Your kids are going to love it. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:36:09 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
I now have permission to share the good news.

I'm going to be a first time Dad!!!

sleong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:19 am »
I now have permission to share the good news.

Congratz!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:01 am »
Hurry up and finish while you still have free time!!!!!!

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 10:19:04 am »

As a Father of two boys, 12 and 6, congratulations!

Hurry up and finish while you still have free time!!!!!!

This. So much this.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 10:31:50 am »
congratulations!  when is she due?  Like everyone else said, finish it now while you have time.  My wife is scheduled to be induced with our 4th next wednesday, there is no way i'm going to finish mine in time.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 11:02:44 am »
congratulations.  having kid(z) is the greatest thing.  finish your cab, then finish your nursery.  not necessarily in that order. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:03 am »
Thanks guys,

I am definitely going as fast as I can.

congratulations!  when is she due?  Like everyone else said, finish it now while you have time.  My wife is scheduled to be induced with our 4th next wednesday, there is no way i'm going to finish mine in time.

Congratulations to you as well. 3 kids and a pregnant wife. How did you find the time to even start your build? Good luck next Wednesday. :applaud:

Ours is do at the end of March.

The wife wants some small changes to the design.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:05:46 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:26 am »
congratulations.  having kid(z) is the greatest thing.  finish your cab, then finish your nursery.  not necessarily in that order.

Thanks,

We are expats and will probably move on to our next post shortly after the baby arrives, so no fancy nursery till then.   

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 05:45:35 pm »
With a 7 month old daughter I can second that all arcade build progress is significantly slower nowadays :)
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:24 pm »

Congratulations to you as well. 3 kids and a pregnant wife. How did you find the time to even start your build? Good luck next Wednesday. :applaud:

thanks.  it is difficult to find time.  my boys are 4 and 6, so they are old enough to help sometimes. my daughter is almost 2, so she is the one that makes it difficult.  On weekends, i can work on it in the afternoons, while she is napping. now that the cutting is done, i mostly work on it after they go to bed...it makes for late nights.

i'm going to have to show that crib/arcade hybrid to my wife