Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Modern racers, PC or PS3?  (Read 2567 times)

Meph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 05:40:34 pm
Modern racers, PC or PS3?
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »
So right now I am in the process of buying a new house and am planning my winter project.  I have spent the last year restoring some MK1 and MK2 cabs.  I am finishing up on a Dynamo HS1 mame build and built my kids a bartop build.  I have one pin and planning another this fall.  I was really looking for something to play with my kids and possibly Wife and have really been itching to do a racing build.  I am planning to do either a 2 unit sit down or possibly a 4 unit so I really want games that are networked.  From what I have read, if I want to play networked games I am best going with PC games rather than emulated since most have built in network while the emulated ones are a bear to network and most aren't possible.

I like the old classic arcade racers but I also like the modern racers like the NFS series, Grid, Dirt, Gran Turismo, and Burnout Paradise.  While all of them are available on the PS3, most are also available on the PC.  Is there any real benefit to going with a PS3 build over a PC other than having a game like Gran Turismo?  I will probably be going with 32" LEDs and Logitech G27s.  If I do go with a PC build can any of the older racers easily be networked.  Also, is networking possible with Mario Kart GP2 using Triforce Dolphin?

I have a PS3 using 4.46 CFW and a modded Wii so I am just trying to come up with the most functional system for us.  The main key is being able to race together.  Thanks

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:26:34 am
Re: Modern racers, PC or PS3?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:34:38 pm »
I posted a list somewhere - don't recal if it was this forum or another  - of all the PS3 racing games with online (multi-system basically) multiplayer.

There are like 10 max?   Very few.  (this may have been LAN support online?  hmm....  I'm looking)

The PC has a lot more, but if you're looking for Gran Turismo 5 (upcoming 6) quality, the list gets shorter.  But as I'm sure you are well aware, cost is going to be high on a 4 cabinet build.

If you're going with the Logitech G27 wheel - you can start here:  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/game-gear/articles/6475

Then off of that list, figure out which ones are networkable on a PS3 - then you'll know which way to go.

PS3s are like $200 new now. Less used.  That's a LOT cheaper than building a PC - as a decent video card will run you $150 - $200 (I just picked up a Geforce 660 Ti for my main PC today for $220, so I could move the GTX 460 to my driving cabinet system.  :)

Start with the "must have games", then figure out what platform they're on with the feature set you want.

Sega Model 2 (3 too?) have networking support.  I don't think Mario Kart GP2 does yet (the damn thing is a pain to get running as it is)

....And the Nintendo Wii doesn't support a Logitech G27.  Sad I know.  I don't know if the Wii U supports the G27 (I doubt it, because its basically a Wii with more horsepower)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:46:05 pm by Fursphere »

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:54:20 pm »
Since the PS3 library is so small I will probably just stick with PC.  Honestly since its going to be controlled by G27's it would take next to nothing to swap out a PC and PS3 if I really wanted to play some GT5/6.  I was planning to buy 2 NIB Stern pins this year so i'm not too worried about the money.  I can skip one pin and more than fund this project.  I think a 4 player modern racing setup would just be badass.  My kids are 5 and 6 right now and absolutely diving in head first to this arcade stuff.  My son, the 5 year old, is a fanatic with old beat em ups (TMNT, Simpsons, etc).  Anytime he hops on the bartop the first thing he does is ask me or his sister to play with him.  I think they would really enjoy racing.

Sounds like the Sonic Kart racing game for the PC is pretty good and I think something like that would be a good start for them.  Too bad on Mario Kart GP2 because it looks like so much fun.  Are there any PC "deathmatch" style racing games like the SNES Mario Kart Battle Mode?  Really want to focus on the multiplayer aspect of this.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.   Its very mario-kart.   
F1 Race Stars isn't bad either. 

I think I have $1000 into my scratch built cabinet.  And if I was to build a PC from scratch to support it, it would be about $800 - $1000(Core i5, Nvidia GTX460 (or greater), 2TB+ HDD, 60 SSD drive for caching, and if I was putting 5.1 on the cabinet a Sound Blaster Z audio card)

So that's about $8000 for 4 cabinets (a hell of a lot less if you get donor arcade cabs) - which is slightly more than a high end Stern pin.

Which pins were you thinking of getting?  A good friend of mine recently bought a Tron Legacy LE NIB, and a Avengers: Hulk Edition LE NIB.  He's still on the fence about buying the Metallica LE.  I prefer to stick to older Gottliebs myself. 

My boys are 3 and (almost) 1.  I see a second driving cabinet in my future too.  :)

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »
Well I currently have a nice STTNG so a new Stern Star Trek (Which should be officially announced within the week) is a must for me.  I was thinking about a Metallica or maybe waiting to see what else comes along.  I was planning to go with a scratch build but I should probably check with the local Op and see if he has any cabs that might work.  Will have to give it some though.  I wont be starting the project for a couple months so I have time to make some decisions.  Will check out Sonic All-Stars Racing and F1 Race Stars.

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
As the others have already stated, a 4 cabinet PC build is going to be VERY expensive.
If you have the cash for it then go all out.

But what I have done is build one nice rig, decent specs,audio, g27 etc - youtube.com/aletchet

Then I am currently in the planning stage on buying a cheap seat + steering wheel set off ebay at a deal (sub £30)
A cheaper, still half decent wheel like the Logitech Driving Force GT (good second hand or new) as these are quite cheap wheels, say sub £50.

Then use some old gear (core2 duo) + okay graphics card - for model2 games, might be able to play some of the older NFS games etc. as the Second rig of multiplayer.

Hopefully the second rig wont cost more than about £150 in total, well that's the idea :) - Then you can play some multiplayer sega rally / daytona usa etc as the very least . Then in a few years i'll probably upgrade my main rig and use that for the second player.

If you have the cash I would get a pc + ps3, then use a usb port switcher device so you don't have to unplug anything. HDMI to the TV/monitor for the PS3 and then DVI for the PC.

I have the SNES, N64, Game cube and wii emulator working on my rig, so I can play all the mario karts :)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »
Check this out: http://www.steering-wheel-support.com/

I may make a separate thread about this one.  Somebody has put a lot of time into this.