Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake  (Read 150351 times)

hafoudha

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2023, 09:01:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2023, 11:13:37 am »
Thank you for this beautiful remake. I have it running already on a pc, and I wonder if there's a way to set a config. file as default, so it will boot straight to that config when I launch the game.

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:26:05 am
« Reply #281 on: March 17, 2023, 06:35:07 am »
Thank you for this beautiful remake. I have it running already on a pc, and I wonder if there's a way to set a config. file as default, so it will boot straight to that config when I launch the game.

Pass the name of the .cfg file on the command line with '-cfg' e.g.
Code: [Select]
mgpr -cfg classic_arcade_1680x1050.cfg

hafoudha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2023, 01:56:16 pm »

Pass the name of the .cfg file on the command line with '-cfg' e.g.
Code: [Select]
mgpr -cfg classic_arcade_1680x1050.cfg
Thank you for the reply, somehow, I can't figure it out, every time I pass the .cfg file's name, it says "Numbers only, try again".

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:27:00 pm by hafoudha »

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2023, 12:44:53 am »
--- removed "sarcastic reply" ---
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 12:44:17 am by Robbbert »

hafoudha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2023, 01:24:33 am »
The answer appears obvious - it's right there in your screenshot.
and since I missed it, wouldn't be nice to point to it? instead of your sarcastic reply.

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2023, 10:28:29 am »
Please paste the entire command line you are using. I just verified that it works on both Windows 10 and Linux.

If you have the correct command line, you should not see the menu or prompt.

hafoudha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2023, 02:22:25 pm »
Please paste the entire command line you are using. I just verified that it works on both Windows 10 and Linux.

If you have the correct command line, you should not see the menu or prompt.
thank you so much for being patient. here's what I get for now, I hope I'm on the right way.

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2023, 11:04:22 am »
here's what I get for now, I hope I'm on the right way.
I think I see your problem. You are invoking the mgpr.exe executable from your your home directory root by passing an absolute path to it. The game needs your 'current working directory' to be the game directory, i.e. mgpr_v1_4_6
In other words, you need to invoke it like this (assuming your starting point is C:\Users\hefdh):

cd Desktop\mgpr_v1_4_6
mgpr.exe -cfg classic_8bit_1280x1024.cfg

Hope that helps.

hafoudha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2023, 01:30:17 pm »
here's what I get for now, I hope I'm on the right way.
I think I see your problem. You are invoking the mgpr.exe executable from your your home directory root by passing an absolute path to it. The game needs your 'current working directory' to be the game directory, i.e. mgpr_v1_4_6
In other words, you need to invoke it like this (assuming your starting point is C:\Users\hefdh):

cd Desktop\mgpr_v1_4_6
mgpr.exe -cfg classic_8bit_1280x1024.cfg

Thank you so much, my folder is in my Desktop, and when I followed your instructions, I get this screen, and the cfg starts the game by itself, I then play few seconds and exit the game, launch again and the full list of cfg is there to chose from, it's not defaulting yet.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:59:30 pm by hafoudha »

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2023, 10:30:44 am »
Thank you so much, my folder is in my Desktop, and when I followed your instructions, I get this screen, and the cfg starts the game by itself, I then play few seconds and exit the game,
That message looks like a problem between the game and your sound card/driver. Unfortunately I can't help with that beyond recommending you try switching the audio output device from Windows' audio settings if you have more than one device available? When you played for a few seconds did you hear any audio output from the game?

launch again and the full list of cfg is there to chose from, it's not defaulting yet.
When you say launch again, did you use the exact same command line? Or are you expecting this setting to be 'sticky'? Because it isn't. Just to be clear, every time you launch mgpr.exe without the -cfg option, it will display the menu regardless of how you launched previously.

hafoudha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2023, 12:44:33 pm »
Thank you so much, my folder is in my Desktop, and when I followed your instructions, I get this screen, and the cfg starts the game by itself, I then play few seconds and exit the game,
That message looks like a problem between the game and your sound card/driver. Unfortunately I can't help with that beyond recommending you try switching the audio output device from Windows' audio settings if you have more than one device available? When you played for a few seconds did you hear any audio output from the game?

launch again and the full list of cfg is there to chose from, it's not defaulting yet.
When you say launch again, did you use the exact same command line? Or are you expecting this setting to be 'sticky'? Because it isn't. Just to be clear, every time you launch mgpr.exe without the -cfg option, it will display the menu regardless of how you launched previously.
Thank you, you are absolutely correct, I thought every time I launch mgpr.exe it will go straight to the default cfg, and therefore, if I have to put that commend every time to default to my cfg, I rather delete all unwanted cfg files, and my favorite cfg will be there waiting for me to hit OK.
Thank you again, I thought for some reason that I could just hit mgpr.exe and the game starts instantly. Not a big deal, I am really enjoying this game in my son's arcade.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:53:40 pm by hafoudha »

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2023, 05:36:22 am »
The end result of my efforts to get this game working on a Raspberry Pi:

I converted an old broken Tomy 'Demon Driver' (a.k.a. 'Digital Derby' in USA) toy to play this fantastic game. Since they are were both released at around the same time (1978 for the Tomy, 1979 for MGP) I thought it would be interesting to juxtaspose the 'state-of-the-art' of the toy & arcade industries of the time.

geecab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:34 pm
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2023, 05:30:42 am »
The end result of my efforts to get this game working on a Raspberry Pi:

I converted an old broken Tomy 'Demon Driver' (a.k.a. 'Digital Derby' in USA) toy to play this fantastic game. Since they are were both released at around the same time (1978 for the Tomy, 1979 for MGP) I thought it would be interesting to juxtaspose the 'state-of-the-art' of the toy & arcade industries of the time.

Hi Neil! This is incredible, I used to have Demon Driver growing up and loved it! Can you imagine if back in the day it played/looked as good as you have made this, it would be every kid's dream! You have done an amazing job getting this working. I've been reading your previous posts and I'm sorry about all the hoops you've had to jump through to get to where you are. I'm thinking of doing a build using the latest version of Raspbian desktop, would that run on all issues of Pi ? I guess people wanting to run it would have to update their Pi OS... At the time when I did my last Unix builds, I wasn't sure what to do about the shared memory stuff (Allowing you to read score board / time information as you play the game). I'm sure I could do something about that now for unix and also have it also output speedo information. Anyways, going off on a bit of a tangent now, just wanted to say absolutely superb work!

PS. I've seen your other youtube projects too, your Tomy Turbo Dashboard playing OutRun with all its dash console display, excellent stuff!

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2023, 08:11:52 am »
Hi Neil!
Hey Ben! Welcome back, it's great to see you here again!

This is incredible, I used to have Demon Driver growing up and loved it! Can you imagine if back in the day it played/looked as good as you have made this, it would be every kid's dream! You have done an amazing job getting this working.
Thanks so much. That's why I do these projects. I like to imagine what the toy & game designers could have achieved back then if they had access to the kind of technology we have today. And yeah, to create the toys I wanted to see back then too!

I've been reading your previous posts and I'm sorry about all the hoops you've had to jump through to get to where you are.
No appologies necessary. You don't owe me or anyone else on here anything. We're all lucky to be able to play this game at all without an expensive original cab or FPGA remake! (OK, there are the Sega Ages versions but they have their own issues!) I went into this with eyes open knowing full well that a native version could likely become available at any time and invalidate all that work, and I still hope that happens!

I'm thinking of doing a build using the latest version of Raspbian desktop, would that run on all issues of Pi ? I guess people wanting to run it would have to update their Pi OS...
That would be amazing! Yeah, you'd probably want to target the latest Pi OS 'Bullseye' They've just moved over to the open MESA drivers for Linux native DRM/KMS GL rendering instead of the legacy proprietary VideoCore stuff they had since day one. I needed to build box86/box64 to have its wrapped GL libs use DRM/KMS to get any decent performance from the game.

You'll also probably want to make both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Only Pis made since the 3B have 64-bit SOCs but as my video shows it can run quite reasonably on a Pi 2B even under x86 user space emulation! Unfortunately - unlike Windows - a 32-bit executable will not run directly on a 64-bit OS. There is Debian multi-arch of course, but that's going to be a pain for users so better to just build both versions!

At the time when I did my last Unix builds, I wasn't sure what to do about the shared memory stuff (Allowing you to read score board / time information as you play the game). I'm sure I could do something about that now for unix and also have it also output speedo information.
I'm guessing you used the native Win32 APIs (e.g. MapViewOfFile etc) for the Arduino work on the Windows version? Linux has similar capabilities, e.g. POSIX shared memory mapping If you're looking for a cross platform approach, then maybe boost::interprocess could help (assuming you're working in C++ with Allegro?)

Anyways, going off on a bit of a tangent now, just wanted to say absolutely superb work!

PS. I've seen your other youtube projects too, your Tomy Turbo Dashboard playing OutRun with all its dash console display, excellent stuff!
Thanks again for your kind comments and also for making this amazing remake in the first place. I'd be happy to help/contribute in any way I can to a native Pi version. If you don't want to open source the game (and I can understand why you might not want to) I would respect any NDA you wanted to apply to source sharing if you wanted to collaborate. Feel free to reach out. There's an email address on the 'About' page on my Youtube channel, or DM me on Instagram if you use that?

LEM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2023, 02:14:34 pm
« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2023, 01:36:57 pm »
Hi all!

I'm trying redefine the keys so I can use it on my arcade cabinet, but I can't find a way to assign the left ctrl and alt keys.
Is that possible somehow?

Thanks.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2023, 02:52:01 am »
Hi all!

I'm trying redefine the keys so I can use it on my arcade cabinet, but I can't find a way to assign the left ctrl and alt keys.

Thanks.

Hi! I'm sorry, it isn't possible with the current version. If using these keys are a must, maybe AutoHotKey https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey can help? (Although I haven't tried it with Monaco GP but can't see why it wouldn't work).

...I've actually just recompiled the game so that I can choose lCtrl rCtrl lAlt and rAlt keys, but now I've found a small bug. These keys work when mapped to some controls (Accelerator, steer left, steer right), but not for others (Coin A/B, Gear toggle)). Out of interest, what controls are you trying to map to these keys?

LEM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2023, 05:24:25 am »
Hi all!

Thanks.

Hi! I'm sorry, it isn't possible with the current version. If using these keys are a must, maybe AutoHotKey https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey can help? (Although I haven't tried it with Monaco GP but can't see why it wouldn't work).

...I've actually just recompiled the game so that I can choose lCtrl rCtrl lAlt and rAlt keys, but now I've found a small bug. These keys work when mapped to some controls (Accelerator, steer left, steer right), but not for others (Coin A/B, Gear toggle)). Out of interest, what controls are you trying to map to these keys?

Thanks for your reply. I have a JPAC on my arcade which uses left ctrl and alt for Player 1 buttons. In my case I was trying to map them to acel and gear box.
I ended up using Player 2 joystick and buttons that are mapped to normal keys so I can play it without any issues.

So since it's working just by using the Player 2 controls and you are running into some issues, it should be ok.
Thanks though. I really appreciate that you took the time to look at this!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2023, 06:03:36 am »
Thanks for your reply. I have a JPAC on my arcade which uses left ctrl and alt for Player 1 buttons. In my case I was trying to map them to acel and gear box.
I ended up using Player 2 joystick and buttons that are mapped to normal keys so I can play it without any issues.

So since it's working just by using the Player 2 controls and you are running into some issues, it should be ok.

Cool, no worries! I think it might be a bug in the Allegro library actually so I've wrote a post on their forum about it. Lets see what they say, would be nice to have this working though.

LEM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2023, 11:57:35 am »

Cool, no worries! I think it might be a bug in the Allegro library actually so I've wrote a post on their forum about it. Lets see what they say, would be nice to have this working though.

Thanks a lot!! I really appreciate it.

Erpa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 04:47:09 pm
« Reply #299 on: May 29, 2023, 04:16:14 pm »
Greetings everyone!

First of all, congratulations for the great work done, I would like to know if it is possible to configure it for 2 monitors, I tried to drag the artwork and the leds to the second monitor and I couldn't, is there a way to do this?

huik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2023, 05:45:19 am
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2023, 05:45:19 am »
Good morning

(My English is not up to par!!)

Bravo geecab for all the work you did to be able to play this game again. But impossible to download the original ROM monaco_gp_2013_v1_0.zip because Zippyshare no longer works. Is it possible to put it somewhere else?
Thanks in advance

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2023, 11:12:34 am »
Bravo geecab for all the work you did to be able to play this game again. But impossible to download the original ROM monaco_gp_2013_v1_0.zip because Zippyshare no longer works. Is it possible to put it somewhere else?
Thanks in advance
Version 1.0 is old.

Use one of these links for the new version v1.4.6.   :cheers:
-=Latest Version=-

Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Windows
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Linux

Scott

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: August 26, 2023, 11:32:01 am »
Hi all!

A new release (v1.4.7) is almost ready. There have been quite a few artwork updates since the last release, here's is a quick sneak preview showing most of them in action:

There are lots of great looking mame bezel's available on the web that make you feel like you are infront of an arcade machine (Search youtube for "Realistic Arcade Bezels" made by "Orions Angel" on youtube to see what I mean).  I wanted to see if I could take things a step further, have moving parts on the Monaco GP cabinet (revcounter/wheel/gearstick), and see if I could make the cabinets either side appear like they are running. I probably got a bit carried away :p

I am also delighted to announce neilsnonsense will be collaborating on releases for the foreseeable future! Neil has considerable expertise with Linux and Raspberry Pi's, you can see a few of his electronic handheld games retro fitted to run mame on his youtube channel as well his Tomy "Demon Driver" handheld running Monaco GP on a Raspberry PI.

:)

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #303 on: August 26, 2023, 01:34:10 pm »
Nice to see this project is still up and running  :applaud:

neilsnonsense

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2023, 08:48:40 am »

I am also delighted to announce neilsnonsense will be collaborating on releases for the foreseeable future! Neil has considerable expertise with Linux and Raspberry Pi's, you can see a few of his electronic handheld games retro fitted to run mame on his youtube channel as well his Tomy "Demon Driver" handheld running Monaco GP on a Raspberry PI.

Very happy to be involved and contribute. There have been a few requests here over the years for updated Linux binaries, and in particular ARM versions that can run on the Raspberry Pi, so I'm glad we can finally make that happen and let even more people enjoy this fantastic game on those platforms.

As an additional sneak peak of Pi support, here's a video of my Tomy Demon Driver conversion updated to run Monaco GP Remake natively on a Raspberry Pi 2B. Yes, it runs really well even on an old Pi 2B at lower resolutions (my display is 480x800)

suverman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 11:38:53 pm
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2023, 12:16:27 pm »
This is really sweet regarding the game now being able to run on a Pi. Couple of requests (if possible):
1. Can we get a 240p output for all modes so it can run it on standard definition vertical arcade monitor?
2. Is it possible to have a second LCD say if using RPI4 to display the scores there? Even the LCDs on the above video looked amazing.
3. Last thing - which is a nit pick but really stands out (rest being perfect for me) - is it possible to update the scores based on player speed instead of update every unit of time  currently? In the arcade original the score updates speed matches the car speed.

Thanks again both for bringing this amazing remake to pi.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:30:22 pm by suverman »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2023, 06:04:00 am »
This is really sweet regarding the game now being able to run on a Pi. Couple of requests (if possible):
1. Can we get a 240p output for all modes so it can run it on standard definition vertical arcade monitor?
2. Is it possible to have a second LCD say if using RPI4 to display the scores there? Even the LCDs on the above video looked amazing.
3. Last thing - which is a nit pick but really stands out (rest being perfect for me) - is it possible to update the scores based on player speed instead of update every unit of time  currently? In the arcade original the score updates speed matches the car speed.

Thanks again both for bringing this amazing remake to pi.

Hi suverman!

1 - I think the lowest resolution for Raspberry PIs is 640x480, so I think a 240p resolution (Which, after a quick google, seems to be 320x240 or 426x240) is just too low. I'm not certain though, MonacoGPRemake requests all the supported resolutions from your graphics hardware when it starts up, and using the in-game menu (TAB->Display->Resolution) you can iterate through them to see which ones are supported by your system (So it might be there...). Another issue is that MonacoGPRemake uses the Allegro Game Library for its graphics, and Allegro might have a minimum supported resolution (Although I couldn't anything specific stating this in their docs).

2 - This should be working for the next release. There might be an issue with running both instances (The game and the scoreboard instance) in 'full screen' mode on 2 separate screens. You might have to settle for having both instances running in 'window' mode, and then dragging the windows to the desired display. Guess we'll just have to try it and see :p

3 - I'm not sure I completely understand. The score does increase based on the car speed (The faster you go, the more points you get). I don't update the display at regular time intervals. As soon as something happens which you get points for, the display gets updated immediately. Thinking about this more, I award speed points based on how fast your car travels past 12 scenery tiles (a screen), perhaps if I award speed points based on how fast your car travels past a single scenery tile that would certainly make the score display more 'busy', perhaps that is the look you are after?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:05:56 am by geecab »

suverman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: September 07, 2023, 12:55:50 pm »
3 - I'm not sure I completely understand. The score does increase based on the car speed (The faster you go, the more points you get). I don't update the display at regular time intervals. As soon as something happens which you get points for, the display gets updated immediately. Thinking about this more, I award speed points based on how fast your car travels past 12 scenery tiles (a screen), perhaps if I award speed points based on how fast your car travels past a single scenery tile that would certainly make the score display more 'busy', perhaps that is the look you are after?

Hi Geecab thanks for replying. If you look at this video at the time stamp it seems that the score moves very fast without noticeably skipping numbers.
https://youtu.be/hxjX7F44uW8?t=77

However on the remake the score is jumpy. I think more busy like you said makes sense. That score speed is the only thing that I think is a bit  off right now.

Regarding the resolution I think I can use a downscaler worst case scenario that throw away every other lines to make it 240 not a biggie.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 12:58:54 pm by suverman »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2023, 08:20:34 am »
Cool, thanks suverman! I totally see what you mean by the video, this will be sorted in the next release :)

suverman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2023, 11:11:34 pm »
Thank you  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

allanbanez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 02:54:43 am
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2023, 02:40:57 am »
Hello,

First and foremost, thank you for the creator of this Monaco GP, I've been looking for a DOS box version of this for a long time and finally found this thread and I was able to make it work in my pc.  I was playing this 2D game since I was 7 and that was back in the Philippines.    So now I have a 5 year old kid and showed this game to him and he loved it.  I went far back on this thread and found out that this started far   back in 2013 which is 10 years ago and still seeing some ppl playing this game.  I was able to download the latest version I believe is 1.4.6 and I was wandering if I can use a wheel and pads on this game.   What would you recommend if I can look for it in Amazon? 

Again Thank you for having this game back in life. 

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2023, 07:24:27 am »
Hi there! Glad you are enjoying the remake! Regarding what I would recommend to play the game, perhaps some of the other members will post what works for them. I'd say for steering, you really want a wheel that spins 360 degrees (That has no turning circle limitation). That is how the original arcade machine's wheel was. I am aware there are some quality (but a bit pricey) arcade spinners available (GroovyGameGear and Ultimarc make USB ones I believe) which I *think* the game recognises as a mouse x-axis. But even if you buy a spinner, you still probably want to fix a steering wheel to it to get the true arcade experience, so its not really a perfect solution.

Personally, I'd recommend hacking an old ps2 optical ball mouse, and connecting up to some cheap arcade steering wheel parts that you might be able source on ebay. Which is exactly what I did back in 2013 (See the link below to my Pole Position II cab build) lol!. The cab doesn't look very pretty inside, but the wheel response is very accurate and is still going strong today!

Hope this helps & good luck :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:06:21 am by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2023, 10:31:37 am »
Hi all!

Now reaching the finishing stages of the new release which is looking like it will be v1.5.0. Thought I'd post a list of some of the new additions that this release includes:
  • Intel/AMD Linux builds will be built on & initially targeted at Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
  • For Intel/AMD Linux, 32-bit (i386) builds have been dropped, and now a 64-bit Linux (x86_64) OS is required.
  • Packaging options (Flatpak / AppImage) for wider compatibility are under investigation but may come later.
  • Raspberry Pi OS support for both 'Lite' and 'Desktop' editions AND both 32-bit (armhf) & 64-bit (aarch64) architectures. Built against & targeting the 'Bullseye' OS release. New RPi OS 'Bookworm' support is experimental.
  • Raspberry Pi hardware support: versions 2,3,3+,4,zero2.
  • Raspberry Pi 5 hardware is supported but subject to the experimental support of the 'Bookworm' OS which is required on Pi 5.
  • Scoreboard import/export modes and scoreboard reader app now working on Linux.
  • LED artwork score artwork updates quicker.
  • Arcade artwork moving parts (recounter/wheel/gearstick).
  • 3x arcade cabinet bezel artworks (With adjacent cabs appearing to run other arcade game attract modes).
  • Scenery height zoom option (To give a slightly more stretched look to the game / more like the arcade).
  • Impove the define key choices (Now possible to choose 'Modifier' keys).
  • Default keys are now left and right arrows (steering), 'A' and 'S' (Accel and Gear Shift).
  • [promonacogp/pursuit/stunt tracks] Hiscores are saved/loaded.
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] Add car damage and engine backfire (Car gets repaired if you pick up a spanner or go in the pits).
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] Add starting grid road, starting lights & bridge.
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] Add boathouse ("car->boat/boat->car" building) and boat stages.
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] Add submaine, crocodile and shark on water stages.
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] New hiscore table shows top 10 racers and cycles through stats (Time/Distance/Stage etc..).
  • [pursuit/stunt tracks] New 'enter your name' screen if your score ranks in the top 10.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2023, 10:40:51 am »
Thought I'd also make a couple of videos showing some of the new changes in action. You only see this new stuff when running the Pursuit and Stunt games modes btw. The MonacoGP and ProMonacoGP games modes remain the same, faithful to the arcade.

Monaco GP Remake - v1.5.0 - Teaser Trailer 1 - Gridstart/Damage/BoatHouse:

Monaco GP Remake - v1.5.0 - Teaser Trailer 2 - HiScores/EnterYourName:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 04:33:13 am by geecab »

cesss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2023, 07:05:02 pm
« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2023, 06:31:35 pm »
I would really like to build it on MacOS. In a few weeks, in Christmas, I'll have time for doing so if you like the idea. My guess is that the Linux version should be more or less straightforward to build. All my Macs are still Intel, though, but I can build it Universal for Intel+ARM if you wish. Would you accept giving me access to the source for doing the build?

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #315 on: January 07, 2024, 12:09:06 pm »
I would really like to build it on MacOS. In a few weeks, in Christmas, I'll have time for doing so if you like the idea. My guess is that the Linux version should be more or less straightforward to build. All my Macs are still Intel, though, but I can build it Universal for Intel+ARM if you wish. Would you accept giving me access to the source for doing the build?

Hi cesss! Thanks for your interest, I'm sorry but I can't give you access for this right now. I do plan on open sourcing the project at some point though I'm not sure when that we be  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:10:39 pm by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: January 07, 2024, 12:35:44 pm »
Hoping to release v1.5.0 very soon. Just a couple of minor bugs that I need to fix.

In the mean time, here is a quick video showing the new artwork for the Stunt Park track. Thought I'd do my best to make it appear like there are some vintage shooting games running (Haunted House and Blue Shark) either side of the Monaco GP cab. These old shooting games should appear like they are being switched on and off randomly, giving the impression that some annoying kids are messing around with their power supplies, trying to put you off your game :)

Monaco GP Remake - v1.5.0 - Teaser Trailer 4 - Stunt Park (Full Game) with Haunted House & Blue Shark arcade cabinet artwork

suverman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2024, 06:38:14 pm »
Love the new mode stunt car one :) I am also hoping we can get this working on a vertical CRT like the earlier version (by rotating ofcourse) gives a really nice option. Btw, is there any chance we can edit the car sprite? Maybe if the sprite of the car is in a folder and we can just replace it? I wanted to see how it looks with Super Speed Race CL5 car - the game otherwise looks VERY similar. In any case, this is exciting, thank yo.

suverman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2024, 06:41:41 pm »
Just watched the full trailer, Stunt Park is a totally different game, amazing!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2024, 10:43:47 am »
Love the new mode stunt car one :) I am also hoping we can get this working on a vertical CRT like the earlier version (by rotating ofcourse) gives a really nice option. Btw, is there any chance we can edit the car sprite? Maybe if the sprite of the car is in a folder and we can just replace it? I wanted to see how it looks with Super Speed Race CL5 car - the game otherwise looks VERY similar. In any case, this is exciting, thank yo.

Cheers suverman! Yes, you should be able to play the new game modes on a vertical screen. Your best bet will be to manually edit one of the 640x480 configurations to get the look you want, but it should definitely be possible. It has actually got me thinking, perhaps I should have created a default set of vertical configurations...

Sorry, you can't edit the car sprite currently. I might add this in future but I don't really want to make any more code changes until after I've released v1.5.0. Hopefully, the new release should be ready for download in the next few days :)