Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake  (Read 150182 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
I have to say... I never noticed before...   But   Spy Hunter   looks and reacts very similar to   Monaco GP.

Same view, same acceleration effect of putting you deeper into the screen, same awesome top speed.. 
and Id be willing to bet the puddle effect is nearly identical.   SH also has the Ice sliding too.

camilty67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2014, 08:29:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 07:26:48 pm »
Geecab - Signed up for the forum just to drop you a note on how outstanding your Monaco GP sim is.  Awesome job all around. 

Years ago (2002 maybe?) I used my GP boards to recreate a Monaco GP resource page:

http://www.arcademagnetz.com/monaco/monaco.htm

I assisted Phil Stroffolino in his simulator (somewhere I have a trail of dozens of emails on the play mechanics of the original game - timing, when the roads change, etc.).  However, I never got to try the final version of his sim because I could never get it to compile correctly.

I really like your version of the game better than the orginal, with the police car and all!

Here are a few thoughts I had while playing it as compared to the original TTL game:

1.  I believe there is one complete section of road missing (see attached pics).   The car makes the screetch sound during this section, and the car "wobbles" (like going on the road shoulder) UNLESS the car is in the solid light blue road strip section (toward the left), then no wobble.   I did not see this section in your remake on your Youtube video or when I played it - sorry if I missed it and it is in there.

2.  The car "wobble" on the road shoulder is too slow (should wobble a bit faster).

3.  As mentioned by others in this thread, the puddle should animate and be gone quicker.

4.  The "extended time" blinking/sound should be more rapid.

5.  In all of the original games I have played, the firetruck ALWAYS comes from the just right of center position (the right 2/3 of the road).

Other than that, at first play it felt spot-on.

I'll try to get a chance to reopen my archived emails and see if there is any good stuff in there.

Again, all I can say is WOW on the remake and it is MUST APPRECIATED by all of us Moncaco GP fans!  I know a lot of hard work went into it.

Best Regards

geecab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 01:17:19 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »
Hey camilty67!

I can not tell you how many times I have visited your excellent resource page in the past. Its been really helpful site to me and probably one of the reasons why I set out to make my remake in the first place :)  Thank you so much for posting. You have raised a lot of great points, and yes absolutely any details you find in old emails regarding you and Phil's remake please please post them too!

I've always thought the road section you mentioned looked more like faulty hardware (board fault) rather than being an actual road. Now that I understand it is an actual road type I can not wait to add it! I've been making quite a few changes recently, and am hoping to upload a new version either this weekend or next. I am definitely going to put the new road into the new version as well as additional configuration options for other points you mentioned!!

Thanks again for posting!

:)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »
Thought I'd mention the status of the next version.  I'll edit this list as I make progress. Hope to upload the new version either this weekend or next :)

• Analog Accelerator Support options (Complete)
Analog pedal support for the accelerator. You can choose any axis, any ranges ("0 to +1", "-1 to 0" or "-1 to +1"), and you may also invert the axis.

• Steering sensitivity option (Complete)
Lowering the steering sensitivity, means you'll have to turn the wheel/spinner more to move the car, but you'll get more precise (less jumpy) steering.

• Steering weight option (Complete)
After having played Arkanoid on my driving cab, I really liked how the 'bat' moved when I rapidly moved my steering wheel from side to side.  When you move the wheel very fast, the bat takes a short while to catch up, and when you stop spinning the wheel suddenly, the bat doesn't stop dead straight away. This setting allows you to configure that same effect when moving the player car from left to right. With just a tiny amount of weight set, the game feels more like the arcade to me when running on my driving cab. You can configure the weight to be zero in which case the steering will be immediate like previous versions of the remake

• Puddle effect time option (Complete)
How long the effects of the puddle last.

• Steering weight after hitting a puddle option (Complete)
Momentarily making the car's steering heavier than normal after hitting a puddle thus giving the impression of a slippery surface.

• Pro-Monaco GP mode option (Complete)
‘Top score over 10000 points’ LED section and ‘16 Successively cars overtaken’ LED section added. Trying to work out how these LED sections should work (see http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=135783.0 for more information) I managed to get in contact with Dave (http://davesgameroom.com/GameDetail.aspx?GID=5), a member of this forum kindly sent me his email address. Unfortunately, Dave's ProMonacoGP is currently not working, and he can’t remember how the extra LEDs operate or what they used to show. So I had to guess how things might have looked/worked. In my remake, you’ll get 200 points for each 16 cars you pass successively, the points are awarded to your score immediately. The spot LED bitmap I used to indicate a single overtake is configurable. Scores over ‘10000’ do not get ranked (and they will never appear in the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th ‘Today Best’ LED sections as they can only cater for a 4 digit score).

• Enable/disable sounds during attract mode (Complete)
There were no car or firetruck passing sounds during the arcade version’s attract mode, but I thought I’d add an option to allow them.

• Arcade or linear car speed positioning option (Complete)
Closer inspection of the arcade being played I noticed how the player car's position would move up the screen more rapidly at certain speed ranges than others. I've tried to recreate this. Thus...

Liner car speed positioning:
        0mph to 200mph : player's car is positioned between the bottom and 1/2 of the way up the screen. This was the only option in previous versions of my remake.

Arcade car speed positioning:
        0mph to 50mph : player's car is positioned between the bottom and 1/5 of the way up the screen.
        50 to 100mph : player's car is positioned at 1/5 of the way up the screen.
        100mph to 150mph : player's car is positioned between 1/5 to 1/2 of the way up the screen.
        150mph to 200mph : player's car is positioned at 1/2 of the way up the screen.

• Scoring options (Complete)
How many points are award for when the player's car travels a full length of the screen. How many points are awarded for passing a car. How many points are award for passing a car on the bridge.

• Editable track (Complete)
The attract mode track layout, and game track layouts are read from a text file which maybe edited.

• Player car 'wobble’ rate option (Complete)
The rate at which the car twists from side to side when driving on sides of the road and through a marsh

• 'extended time' blink time option (Complete)
The rate at which the ‘extended time’ notification flashes on and off

• Configurable Firetruck positions (Complete)
Configurable in the track layout file. You can choose "RANDOM" or provide a specific position

• Added new 'Marsh' road (Complete)
Road that is sectioned into dark (marsh) areas and light  (normal) areas. Driving on marsh causes the car to wobble (Looks the same as driving too fast on the side of the road). You can configure the speed at which driving on 'the marsh' starts to effecting the car. You can also configure how the car is effected when driving over marsh (the rate of slow down and the amount of steering weight).

• Give the track editor the ability to 'loop' at track rather than always have to add a 'goal' finish line (Complete)
So that tracks can be designed that theoretically could go on for ever.

• Give the track editor the ability to set road width and road position to random (Complete)
In the track text file, I want to be able to set the road width/position changes to be random for an indeterminate amount of miles. Currently, you have to explicitly state the road width should be <some value> at a certain mileage, then at x miles later the road width shall merge to <some value>, then a x miles later the road width shall merge to <some value>, and so on. Which is quite a hassle. It shouldn't take me too long to add something that you can state you want random road width changes within a minimum and maximum width range for x amount of miles.

Just doing some final testing, will upload the new version shortly   :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:13:18 pm by geecab »

xfassa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2021, 07:51:20 pm
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:09 pm »
Geecab - you just made my weekend (or next weekend). I really look forward to the update.  Thanks again for this awesome remake.  It really is more addictive than the original.  Believe it or not, I have not yet reached the end.  My best game is 95% complete.  The night bridge is tough!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »
95% is good going xfassa! Once again, really good to hear you are liking the remake!!

By the way, I haven't forgotten about the possibility of dual monitors for a future release. I was checking out virtual pinball machines the other day (I really think I might build one at some point), and I thought would it be cool if I could make Monaco GP run on it too, using the pinball back screen to display something similar to the bezel & LEDs artwork :)

camilty67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:45 pm »
Very Cool Geecab.  Looking forward to trying your updated versions!  I will look for those old emails soon and let you now what I come up with.   I've have to update that page soon also!

Best Regards

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
The good news:  My Monaco GP project is underway.
The bad news:  I removed most of the internals

I hated to do it but the game just never worked properly and all the internal components are garbage (and unsafe).  I look forward to rebuilding the cabaret with modern electronics running Geecab's awesome Monaco GP remake.  Note: the cab will still use all the original hardware (wheel, shifter, foot pedal, etc.).  I have a lot to figure out but it will be a fun project. 

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 11:11:31 am »
Looking good so far, new 'Marsh' track running in ProMonacoGP mode  :)

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 02:52:48 pm »
Geecab - The new version looks great!!!  Can't wait to install on my upgraded cabaret.  ;-)

After a day and a half of all work on this project, some significant progress has been made.  See crappy phone pics below.  Once I get this thing fully restored, I will provide much better images and video.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:02 am »
Wow xfassa, thanks for posting the pics, it is looking great!!!

I've just been thinking, with your current screen set up (and the fact I've not really worked out how I'm going to do the dual monitor thing), its a shame that you can't get the benefit of the LED/bezel artwork stuff thats been added. If you did want to add the artwork stuff, as a sort of 'quick fix', what if at random intervals during the attract mode, the game screen could fade into a screen showing the LED/bezel artwork (with and maybe a miniaturized version of the game still visible), then after a moment it returns back to the normal view. You could also force it to switch between views by, say, stepping on the accelerator peddle during the attract mode? Do you think that would be a good idea?? I'm probably over thinking things  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:56:52 am by geecab »

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 08:08:30 am »
Geecab - I came to the same conclusion about the artwork.  I decided to remove the original bezel and use the full LCD display.  This allows me to include the artwork and led displays.  It looks fantastic!!!  I will try to make a new bezel to cover up the edges of my LCD display.  Thanks so much for your help.

Lots of family/friends will be over today for the holiday.  Monaco GP will be getting lots of play!  :-)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:52 am »
Looking good xfassa  :) One thing I'd probably suggest is to slightly tweak your configuration a little using the on-screen menu (Marginally changing the size & positions of the bezel, leds & playfield), just to make the most use of your screen?

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:50 pm »
Geecab - Thanks for the screen tip.  The adjusted screen size looks much better.  ;-)

My Monaco GP cabaret got lots of play over the holiday break.  Everyone was amazed how well your simulator played.  Honestly, your simulator is preferred over the original.  Thanks again.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 08:38:37 am »
Great Stuff again xfassa  :) Glad everyone enjoyed it!

Thought I'd write a quick update. Everything I wanted to add to the new version has been added. There is just one last thing:

In the track text file, I want to be able to set the road width/position changes to be random for an indeterminate amount of miles. Currently, you have to explicitly state the road width should be <some value> at a certain mileage, then at x miles later the road width shall merge to <some value>, then a x miles later the road width shall merge to <some value>, and so on. Which is quite a hassle. It shouldn't take me too long to add something that you can state you want random road width changes within a minimum and maximum width range for x amount of miles.

Was really hoping to get the new version uploaded before the weekend but I've been a bit busy so unfortunately that hasn't happened. I've got a bit of spare time this weekend though so really expect on Sunday I will have the new the version uploaded  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »
OK! The new version of the Monaco GP Remake (v1.3) is ready and it can be downloaded here:

****EDIT: This version is now obsolete, please see initial post (on page 1) for download links to latest and obsolete versions****

Please be a little prepared as you visit the zippyshare site, you might get adverts for other software appear, trying to fool you to download something else. Just make sure you only click on the orange 'Download Now' button to the right of the zippyshare page, and the file that you download to your computer is called "mgpr_v1_3.zip". I apologize for using such a poor filesharing host, but it is free!

Once you've unzipped the file, you'll see I have created separate MonacoGP and ProMonacoGP example configurations (found in the 'cfg' directory), all with the Bezels and LED artwork correctly positioned. So first off I'd suggest giving these a try. Say, if you wanted to run the game using the 'pro_monaco_gp_1360x768.cfg' configuration, you would specify "mgpr -cfg pro_monaco_gp_1360x768.cfg" at the command line. Please note, all the example configurations are configured to run the game fullscreen, if you want them to be windowed, you will have to use the on screen menu to change the 'Window' Display setting to "Yes", then restart MGPr.

There is now a 'track' directory that contains the track data for the attract mode ('attract_mode.trk') and the actual game ('remake.trk'). I also made a start trying to create a track that is more faithful to the arcade ('arcade.trk') but its not finished. These .trk files are just text files, you should be able to get the basic idea how they work by viewing them in notepad. I'll post exactly what everything means in the .trk files later.

New in v1.3:

- Analog Accelerator Support options
- Steering sensitivity option
- Steering weight option
- Puddle effect time option
- Steering weight after hitting a puddle option
- Pro-Monaco GP mode option
- Enable/disable sounds during attract mode
- Arcade or linear car speed positioning option
- Scoring options
- Editable tracks
- Player car 'wobble’ rate option
- 'extended time' and 'game over' blink time option
- Configurable Firetruck positions (edit .trk for this)
- Added new 'Marsh' road
- At the beginning of the race, your timer starts counting down as soon as the accelerator is pressed, or after 10 seconds you'll hear a beep and the timer will start anyway.
- Handle consecutive games better (when you have multiple credits), so that you will always see the game over screen for a few seconds before a new game starts.

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:50:25 am by geecab »

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »
Perfect timing!  I just got done adding a potentiometer to my foot pedal.  I will get the new software installed and it give it a go.  Thanks!!!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 04:30:13 pm »
Hi! I had a bit of spare time so thought I'd make a start, try and document what is going on in those *.trk files located in the ‘track’ directory. I plan to copy this into the readme.txt located in the 'track' directory for the next release.

Quick Overview

You should read track files from the bottom upwards.  If you open ‘remake.trk’ with notepad you’ll see the last line of text in the file is “ROAD_DESERT,GREY,45,1,4,20,-60,60,SNAP”. That is where the track begins. This line of text is known as a RoadChange. Associated with each RoadChange are RoadEvents.  RoadEvents are set to occur at specific distances after a RoadChange has occurred. Although it has no function other than to make my track files more readable, I’ve Tab indented the RoadEvents in my track files so that its easy to spot which RoadEvents are associated with which RoadChange.

The track ends when the last RoadChange (at the top of the track file) has run its distance. After that, the track will loop back to the very first RoadChange, or to the RoadChange that has been prefixed with the '*' character. For example:
*ROAD_FOREST,GREY,45,1,4,20,-60,60,MERGE

If you don't want the track to loop back to an old RoadChange, you can the trigger the completion of the game by adding an EVENT_GOAL RoadEvent.

If you switch the TRACK_DEBUG gameplay configuration option on, this will switch off car collisions and also output useful information to the console window the about the RoadChanges and RoadEvents that are as the occur. It also outputs the Cars current distance. Helps if you are designing a track, working out the best distances for particular events to occur.

More about RoadChanges

A RoadChange comprises of 9 comma separated values.
Name, Colour, Distance, MinCars, MaxCars, Difficulty, LBarrier, RBarrier, InitBarrierState

Where,
Name  - The name of the road which can be one of the following:
   ROAD_DESERT
   ROAD_FOREST_ICE
   ROAD_TUNNEL
   ROAD_TUNNEL_ICE
   ROAD_HARBOUR
   ROAD_BRIDGE
   ROAD_BRIDGE_NIGHT
   ROAD_BEACH
   ROAD_SNOW
   ROAD_MARSH
   ROAD_MARSH_ICE
   ROAD_GOAL

Colour - The base/tarmac colour of the track. This is not applicable to ROAD_***_ICE type tracks, but you still have to provide a value. Possible colour values are:
   GREY
   NAVY

Disatance - How many miles the road continues for.

MinCars -  When the game decides to feed cars randomly onto the screen, this is the minimum amount that will appear.

MaxCars - When the game decides to feed cars randomly onto the screen, this is the maximum amount that will appear.

Difficulty - This is a bit of a magic value, it reflects how fast the opponent cars travel towards you. I usually choose values between 20 (easy) to 40(hard)

LBarrier -  Given the center of the screen on the X axis is 0, this value indicates where the Left barrier should be positioned when the road first appears.

RBarrier - Given the center of the screen on the X axis is 0, this value indicates where the Right barrier should be positioned when the road first appears.

InitBarrierState -  When the new road appears, should the barrier position snap immediately to that new position (for instance, when approaching a bridge) , or to merge new position over the nest few miles. Possible InitBarrierState values are:
   MERGE
   SNAP

More about RoadEvents

EVENT_BARRIER_CHANGE – To change barrier to a specific width.

A barrier change comprises of 5 comma separated values:

EVENT_BARRIER_CHANGE,Distance, LBarrier, RBarrier, InitBarrierState

Where,

Distance - The event will activate after this amount of miles.

LBarrier  - Given the centre of the screen on the X axis is 0, this value indicates the proposed Left barrier  position

RBarrier - Given the centre of the screen on the X axis is 0, this value indicates the proposed Right barrier  position

InitBarrierState  - Should the barrier position snap immediately to the proposed position, or gradually merge to it. Possible InitBarrierState values are:
   MERGE
   SNAP

EVENT_BARRIER_RANDOM - To randomly and continuously change the width and position of the barriers. Once set, the barriers will continue to change until the next RoadChange, or an EVENT_BARRIER_CHANGE.

A barrier random event  comprises of 4 comma separated values:

EVENT_BARRIER_RANDOM,Distance,MinBarrier,MaxBarrier

Where,

MinBarrierWidth -  The minimum amount of width random roads may have

MaxBarrierWidth -  The maximum amount of width random roads may have

EVENT_BRIDGE_SIGN - Enables the flashing bridge sign until the next RoadChange. Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_BRIDGE_SIGN,Distance

Where,

EVENT_SNOW_DRIFT - A snow drift will appear at a random place in the road.  Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_SNOW_DRIFT,Distance

Where,

EVENT_PUDDLE - A puddle will appear at a random place in the road.  Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_PUDDLE,Distance

Where,

EVENT_POLICE_ON - The police will be after you if you go too slow and this event occurs. Once enabled, they will remain enabled until the end of the race.  Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_POLICE_ON,Distance

Where,

EVENT_PRINT - Print something out to the console window.  Comprises of 3 comma separated values:

EVENT_PRINT,Distance,<YourMessage>

Where,

<YourMessage> - Can be any text you want, but it must be just one word.

EVENT_EXTENDED_PLAY - Trigger the Extended Play sig and award the player with extra time. Note. If you design a track that continuously loops, and the Extended Play event is in that loop, extra time will be keep being awarded. The amount of time awarded each time maybe lessoned each lap by a certain amount. This amount can be set by the TIME_EXTENDED_SEQUENT Gameplay option. Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_EXTENDED_PLAY,Distance

Where,

EVENT_AMBULANCE - Trigger the Ambulance.  Comprises of 3 comma separated values:

EVENT_AMBULANCE, Distance, Positon

Where,

Position - Can either be set to 'RANDOM' or a specific value from 0 to 240 (where 120 will be the center of the road).

EVENT_FIRETRUCK - Trigger the Firetruck. Comprises of 3 comma separated values:

EVENT_FIRETRUCK, Distance, Position

Where,

Position - Can either be set to 'RANDOM' or a specific value from 0 to 240 (where 120 will be the center of the road).

EVENT_CAMERA_SPEED - This event is only applicable when viewing the track in attract mode. It speed or slows the camera down. Comprises of 3 comma separated values:

EVENT_CAMERA_SPEED, Distance, Speed

Where,

Speed - Speed of the Camara. If set to zero and the EX_SHOW_HISCORE Gameplay option is enabled, the car will come to a standstill at the hiscores will be shown, after which the

attract mode track will repeat again. If the speed of the camera is set to zero and the EX_SHOW_HISCORE Gameplay option is disabled, this event is ignored.

EVENT_GOAL - Completes the game. Comprises of 2 comma separated values:

EVENT_GOAL, Distance

Where,

I think that is about everything for now, hope it was an interesting read!  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:37:26 pm by geecab »

camilty67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
Hi Geecab -

The simulator is awesome!  :applaud: I love how configurable it is!

I updated my resource page with some video I had of a Monaco GP cockpit, and I added some pics of your sim if that is okay.

A couple of things I noticed while using the latest versiom (1.3):

1.  The original Monaco GP gives you extended play at 2000 points, but the extended play does not start until the original time runs out (you could have 30 seconds still remaining when the Extended Play flashes and get to play unlimited lives still until the time runs out).  On the sim, it automatically goes into Extended Play mode/time with the fixed number of cars once you hit EP.  Also, on the original Monaco GP, the 2000 points/extended play usually happened around just after the second tunnel (your stage 8-9).   

2.  The marsh/gravel road does not come up until your stage 19.  On the orginal, it was much earlier than that, a couple of stages into extended play.  I have not checked it against my notes on my resource page that lists out the stage sequences.  It looks like you can create your own track seq with the sim, but I haven't had time to try it yet!

3.  I believe the firetruck sound should occur a bit sooner that it does, giving you some milliseconds heads up it is coming.  (maybe this can be configurable).

Thanks! again for the freakn'n awesome sim and all the work and time you have put into it!

camilty67

beylie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2022, 01:36:30 am
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 05:51:54 am »
Registered just to thank you for this remake. An excellent effort! Thank you!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 11:07:09 am »
Hey camilty67!

Just checked your updated resource page, it looks excellent! Honored see my remake on your site!  :)

Really glad you are liking the new version! Thanks for the points you've mentioned, funny enough, I've actually already been working on these things for the last week or two. Here is what I have been, or will be, working on for the next release:-

The original Monaco GP gives you extended play at 2000 points, but the extended play does not start until the original time runs out (you could have 30 seconds still remaining when the Extended Play flashes and get to play unlimited lives still until the time runs out).  On the sim, it automatically goes into Extended Play mode/time with the fixed number of cars once you hit EP.  Also, on the original Monaco GP, the 2000 points/extended play usually happened around just after the second tunnel (your stage 8-9).   

Agreed. I've improved the track file editor and have modified my 'arcade.trk' file, I can now specify two different courses, the first 'easy' course will loop until the initial 90 seconds runs out. When the time runs out, if you have been awarded 2000 points or more, then the second 'hard' course will begin. You'll be able to play the hard course without a time limit. The 'extended play' sign with flash when you have earned 2000, 4000, 6000 and 8000 points.

2.  The marsh/gravel road does not come up until your stage 19.  On the orginal, it was much earlier than that, a couple of stages into extended play.  I have not checked it against my notes on my resource page that lists out the stage sequences.  It looks like you can create your own track seq with the sim, but I haven't had time to try it yet!

I totally agree with you, the current tracks (arcade.trk and remake.trk) are not very failthfull to the arcade. Even though the remake.trk is way off what the arcade version is like, its quite fun to play so am inclined to leave that 'as is' and just concentrate making the arcade.trk play as close to the arcade version as possible. I shall probably setup all the pro_monaco_gp_*.cfg configuration files to play the remake.trk, and all the monaco_gp_*.cfg configuration files to play the arcade.trk.

3.  I believe the firetruck sound should occur a bit sooner that it does, giving you some milliseconds heads up it is coming.  (maybe this can be configurable).

Good point! I will be sure to make the "firetruck sample start to firetruck appearing" time configurable

Thanks again for your comments! :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2014, 11:10:49 am »
Registered just to thank you for this remake. An excellent effort! Thank you!

Thanks beylie! Glad you are enjoying the remake!  :)

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2014, 10:32:18 pm »
Geecab - great stuff! 

FYI.  I gave your simulator a shout out over at Pinside.  http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1978-sega-monaco-gp-remake-worth-checking-out

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:04 am »
Cheers xfassa!! Very cool website too!  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:33:46 am by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 03:37:45 pm »
EDIT: I've placed the questions that were in this post, together with the others in the post below :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:16:08 pm by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »
Hi! I'm trying to get the next release of the Monaco GP remake as close to the arcade version as possible. I am trying desperately to find out the answers to few questions regarding the play mechanics of the original game. If you think you can answer any of the following in anyway, please do so as it would really help me out  :) Here we go:-

Question1. On the Sega Saturn version of Monaco GP, at the start of the race, the red car is placed onto the 'scenery' (I.e. onto the trees and houses). It is possible to drive along the scenery until the time runs out. The road type never changes from the desert road. The player's score never increases whilst driving over the scenery. Is the arcade version the same?
Answer1. Thank you to Monaco GP owner 'guddler' of ukvac forum for answering "Yes" to this.
[youtube][/youtube]

Question2. On the Sega Saturn version of Monaco GP, during Extended Play, after a crash, the red car is placed onto the roadside verge, immediately after which it is possible to move onto the 'scenery' (I.e. onto the trees and houses). Red car may move along the scenery for a certain amount of time, after which the red car will 'wobble' for a certain amount of time, after which the red car will explode. Is the arcade version the same?
Answer2. TBC
[youtube][/youtube]

Question3. On the Sega Saturn version, during Extended Play, after a crash, the red car is placed onto the roadside verge. If left at a standstill for a certain amount of time, the red car will 'wobble' for a certain amount of time, after which the red car will explode. Is the arcade version the same?
Answer3: Thank you to Monaco GP owner "c0inoppl" (clip of his working machine () for their answer:-
"I checked what happens in extend play if the player car is at a standstill on the roadside verge.
When you start from roadside after crash you have ~ 7 sec. to leave this place and be on the road. If not your car crashes automatically.
I tested it in the situation when I crashed on the bridge too. You start in the water and you have again 7 sec to come to the bridge. If not - car crashes.
I think it can help you."

[youtube][/youtube]

Question4. On the Sega Saturn version, after touching the accelerator, it is not possible to bring the red car to a complete halt. Is the arcade version the same?
Answer4.  Thank you to comilty67 for his video clip that shows this answer to this is "Yes" (demonstrated at time 2:20)
[youtube][/youtube]

Question5. On the Sega Saturn version, in normal play, at the beginning of the race or after a spin, the 'scenery' (I.e. the trees and houses) is inactive (can not be crashed into) until after the red car and moved onto the road. Is the arcade version the same?
Answer5.  Yes, arcade version is thought to be the same by MonacoGP owner.
[youtube][/youtube]

Question6. Finally, on the arcade version, is it possible to perfectly match the player car speed with the opponent cars for the entire length of the bridge? Do the opponent cars fluctuate in speed at all when driving over the bridges??
Answer6. TBC

Many thanks for reading! Hope you can help!  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:28:47 pm by geecab »

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »
Geecab - keep up the awesome work.  I'm doing my best to try and find answers to your questions.  It's hard to find people with a fully functional Monaco GP.  :-)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »
Thanks for trying xfassa! :)

tomtom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2015, 04:28:06 pm
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:29 am »
First, I want to thank you for excellent Monaco GP simulator. I'm an "old school man", and there are not many games that I like to play... and your simulator is among the top three! I was looking for something like that from '90s, but you make it just last year.

1.2 is not easy to finish, but v1.3 (think) is 20% harder, default settings, only steering_sensitivity changed. I have to play 30-40 games for one completed. Few notes:

- in Pro mode, cannot remove "bonus" sign, down/left corner.

- sometimes, car explode once again just after crash; I'm not sure, but there is no move.

- I would like set the bridges always in the middle of the road, and path of the rescue cars to be more random.

- according to screenshot, there is something wrong with time bonus calculating.

- what settings is best for 1680x1050 resolution, window/full screen? I can't get the right value in cfg.

- several times crashed on the last section, finish appear, just 1-2cm road left, and no more lives... I was very angry with you! ;)

Sorry for language mistakes, it's Google Translate.

Best regards,

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:10 pm »
Hi tomtom! Thanks for the kind words and congratulations for completing the game!

I agree that v1.3 is much more difficult than the last version. I guess I wanted to make the game nearly impossible to finish as it was impossible to finish the arcade version. If it takes you about 30-40 attempts to complete a game then I would say the level of difficultly is set about right  :)

In response to your other questions:

in Pro mode, cannot remove "bonus" sign, down/left corner.
Go into the in-game menu (press TAB), go to GAMEPLAY_OPTIONS, set  EX_SHOW_OVERTAKES to NO. In hindsight, I wish I'd have named this option EX_SHOW_BONUS  :P

sometimes, car explode once again just after crash; I'm not sure, but there is no move.
I think this may have happened to me a few times as well. I think you have found a bug, I shall investigate.

I would like set the bridges always in the middle of the road,
I currently position the bridges to appear in the middle of the screen, under the flashing bridge sign. Just want to be clear what you are asking, you want the bridge to always appear in the middle of where the last road ends?

and path of the rescue cars to be more random.
Have a look at the remake.trk file in the track directory. View it with notepad and search for EVENT_FIRETRUCK. These events cause the rescue car to appear at certain distances during the game. Setting the last parameter to RANDOM will make the rescue appear at a random position on the screen. Thus try changing the line that reads EVENT_FIRETRUCK,3,130 to EVENT_FIRETRUCK,3,RANDOM and see if that helps?

according to screenshot, there is something wrong with time bonus calculating.
Agreed. Looks like a bug, I shall investigate.

what settings is best for 1680x1050 resolution, window/full screen? I can't get the right value in cfg.
Unfortunately, I have not created a default configuration suitable for 1680x1050 (which is a 16:10 resolution) yet. I will make a note to add one for the next release. For now, what I suggesting is running the game using the "pro_monaco_gp_1360x768.cfg", setting its resolution to 1280x800 (which is also a 16:10 resolution) using the in-game menu, then restarting the program. Once it restarts, you could use the in-game menu to tweak the bezel, led & playfield options to make everything fit your screen correctly. Let me know how you get on, if you have problems I could send you a configuration that should look nice fullscreen.

Hope this helps!  :)

tomtom

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 05:21:53 pm »
in Pro mode, cannot remove "bonus" sign, down/left corner.
Go into the in-game menu (press TAB), go to GAMEPLAY_OPTIONS, set  EX_SHOW_OVERTAKES to NO. In hindsight, I wish I'd have named this option EX_SHOW_BONUS  :P

Works, tnx. I would never have discovered...

sometimes, car explode once again just after crash; I'm not sure, but there is no move.
I think this may have happened to me a few times as well. I think you have found a bug, I shall investigate.

Looks like buffering trouble...

I currently position the bridges to appear in the middle of the screen, under the flashing bridge sign. Just want to be clear what you are asking, you want the bridge to always appear in the middle of where the last road ends?

Yes. I think (original version) the bridge always appear in the middle of where the last road ends. Your version is better, more dynamic, need to follow the signs... but I beleive is good idea to keep the choices.

and path of the rescue cars to be more random.
the last parameter to RANDOM will make the rescue appear at a random position on the screen. Thus try changing the line that reads EVENT_FIRETRUCK,3,130 to EVENT_FIRETRUCK,3,RANDOM and see if that helps?

Probably. I noticed that firetruck after the first bridge (extended play) always appear in the right side, so I learn how to avoid him.

what settings is best for 1680x1050 resolution, window/full screen? I can't get the right value in cfg.
Unfortunately, I have not created a default configuration suitable for 1680x1050 (which is a 16:10 resolution) yet. I will make a note to add one for the next release. For now, what I suggesting is running the game using the

Nothing important, I am satisfied with the existing resolutions

What do you think about a way to save the game (replay), so we don't need video capture programs, etc. Is it already possible with .trk files?

PS: Oh, NOOOOO! It happened again! :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2014, 11:30:13 am »
HI tomtom!

Looks like buffering trouble...

I worked out how to make this happen consistently, at one particular point on the track. During extended play, when the ice road joins to the bridge road for the first time, if you crash into the bridge entrance, then move the steering wheel right before your next car appears, then your next car will explode immediately. If you don't touch the steering wheel, it works fine. Now that I can recreate the problem, shouldn't be too hard to fix  :)

Yes. I think (original version) the bridge always appear in the middle of where the last road ends. Your version is better, more dynamic, need to follow the signs... but I beleive is good idea to keep the choices.

Not sure if placing the bridge in the middle of the road is correct thing to do though, difficult to say  :P I've just been watching this clip:-

In this clip there is fortunately a spot reflection at the top/middle of the screen surround that always lines up with the bridge & bridge sign. Looks like the bridge and bridge sign always appear in the middle of the screen to me. You could, if you really wanted to, edit the trk file so that you fix the road preceding the bridge to a fixed position/width and also edit the position of the bridge so that it appears in the middle of the road preceding it?

Unfortunately, I have not created a default configuration suitable for 1680x1050 (which is a 16:10 resolution) yet. I will make a note to add one for the next release. For now, what I suggesting is running the game using the
Nothing important, I am satisfied with the existing resolutions
Ok cool! I'll be sure to place a 16:10 configuration in the next release anyway  :)

What do you think about a way to save the game (replay), so we don't need video capture programs, etc. Is it already possible with .trk files?
Unfortunately, this is not already possible. Might be a bit tricky to do/add.  Have always used bandicam for video capture, which is seem pretty good for a freebie (as long as you don't want to capture more than 10mins, and you don't mind the watermark). Hm, you've got me thinking now, an action replay after you crash my be a cool addition at some point in the future...

Hope this helps!  :)

tomtom

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 09:23:57 am »
> Not sure if placing the bridge in the middle of the road is correct thing to do though, difficult to say  :P I've just been watching this clip:-

I watched video and must say: the bridge IS NOT in the middle of where the last road ends, but slightly shifted to the right. In my memories, he was always in the same place - middle. Maybe in the original versions that could be adjusted somehow... Well, keep up your idea, this is good advance.

> Have always used bandicam for video capture, which is seem pretty good for a freebie

Uploaded one completed gameplay video, 25fps 340MB... who wants, can look at it:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ZsFT1aoA!N4YvfHzfIAL1i96774zOYQGnCe73tl6BxoZKqAPC-zs

> Hm, you've got me thinking now, an action replay after you crash my be a cool addition at some point in the future...

Looking crash again?! It is the last thing I want to see! :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:14:31 am by tomtom »

Dr. Morbis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2018, 01:36:51 am
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:48 am »
> Not sure if placing the bridge in the middle of the road is correct thing to do though, difficult to say  :P I've just been watching this clip:-

I watched video and must say: the bridge IS NOT in the middle of where the last road ends, but slightly shifted to the right. In my memories, he was always in the same place - middle. Maybe in the original versions that could be adjusted somehow... Well, keep up your idea, this is good advance.

I own a Pro Monaco GP, and the bridge is always in the exact middle of the SCREEN, regardless of where the road is when the bridge starts.  Also, I just posted in the other thread regarding the bonus points mystery...

beylie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2022, 01:36:30 am
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2014, 04:47:01 am »
geecab, are you still working on this? I'm enjoying so much!  ;D

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 05:00:37 pm »
geecab, are you still working on this? I'm enjoying so much!  ;D

Hi beylie!

Yup I haven't forgotten this. Just been working on a big project at work that kind of needs all my brain power at the moment (and I don't have that much to be honest  ;))

I have made some progress though:-

I've fixed the crashing bug and the end of game scoring issue that tomtom found.

I've added some more commands into the track files, allowing you to 'loop' them at certain places. This has allowed me to make a track file much more like the arcade, that loops "Desert->ForestIce->Desert->Tunnel" roads until a 90 timer expires, then loops "Harbor->MarshIce->Harbor->Bridge->Harbor->Tunnel->Harbor->MarshGravel" roads forever (until you loose all your lives).

For the next release there will be a choice of 3 tracks:

- The Monaco GP Arcade Track (mgp.trk)
    As close as the original Monaco GP as possible (For example, Looped 90 second Normal Play, Infinite time in extended play, no police cars, no overtake bonuses)

- The Pro-Monaco GP Arcade Track (promgp.trk)
    As close as the original Pro-Monaco GP as possible (For example, Looped 90 second Normal Play, Infinite time in extended play, no police cars, with overtake bonuses). This will have all the correct overtake bonus and scoring behavior that Dr. Morbis kindly helped me get my head around (See this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=135783.0).

- The Remake Track (remake.trk)
    Should play much the same as my remake currently does (90 seconds NonLoopedNormalPlay, 90 seconds NonLoopedExtendedPlay, Goal Finish, with police cars, with end of game race statistics).

I'm just currently working on a way for the track files to 'carry' some of the gameplay options that are currently in the configuration menu. So that it will be possible to switch easily between "mgp.trk", "promgp.trk" and "remake.trk" without have to change too much in the configuration editor, hope that makes sense.

Hopefully should be able to get back onto this very soon, talking about it again has inspired me I have to say. I'll probably be able to get back on it this weekend  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »
I own a Pro Monaco GP, and the bridge is always in the exact middle of the SCREEN, regardless of where the road is when the bridge starts.  Also, I just posted in the other thread regarding the bonus points mystery...

Hi Dr Morbis! I've added those ProMonacoGP LEDs, sounds and alerts you helped clarify in the in the other post. The video clip of your ProMonacoGP really helped me work out the timing and sounds of everything. I've attached a picture of my progress.  Now that its added I just have a couple more questions I was hoping you could answer:
1 -  Say 13 LEDs of the top bonus strip are illuminated (like in the picture) and you overtake "cleanly" an opponent on the bridge. I understand that another LED on the bottom bonus strip will illuminate, but I'm not sure what happens to LEDs on the top bonus strip? Do they remain the same or are they cleared??
2 -  Does the top bonus strip only ever clear (or count back back down) when an opponent overtakes you?

Hope you can help, many thanks!  :)

EDIT: Just found the answer to '1'. This new clip of Pro Monaco GP on youtube, near the end of the clip the player does a few clean bridge overtakes and the LEDs on the top bonus strip remain the same. Still not sure about '2'.
[youtube][/youtube]

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:29:04 pm by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2014, 07:10:44 pm »
Thought I post a quick status update. For the next release, in addition to 3 tracks that I mentioned a few posts ago, there will be another track (not sure what to name it yet). This track has some new roads & some new obstacles. There is a twin bridge section where I thought it would be cool to have one of the bridges end and the player must use a ramp to get to the other side (or traverse to the adjacent bridge if they hit the ramp at the correct angle). Its almost impossible to land successfully, but that's what makes it feel like such an achievement when you get it right! Here are a few screens caps of the new track in action:-

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 07:24:51 pm »
My daughter got a chance to play a real stand up Monaco at a local arcade convention this past year and fell in love with it.  I'm definitely going to try to get this on a cab for her.

Duglis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2014, 03:07:25 am
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2014, 01:34:38 am »
This is an amazing thing I  just discovered. Thanks from the bottom of my retrogame loving heart for your time and effort in doing this. I'm amazed it all went on under my radar!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!